Old 06-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #31  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Even if your heart rate doesn't go up, you are still burning calories with exercise and need to add an extra packet. Your muscles need fuel for recovery and IP simply does not provide enough calories to do that if you are not compensating with the extra packet.

Also, a TRUE stall is not measured in DAYS but in WEEKS. 12 days does not constitute a stall in weight loss. You have to give your body time to work out whatever is going on right now, and actually give some of the suggestions here time to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangdog View Post
Great question. The PT is for my shoulder, so I do about 30 minutes of strengthening exercises. My heart rate doesn't go up, so I figured I was okay without an extra packet. But you are 100% correct on the inflammation. It is terribly inflamed, but then again it was before IP. In fact, someone here said IP helps reduce inflammation. Not sure, but I can tell you this. After 6 years of intermittent shoulder pain, and 3 1/2 months of chronic pain, my shoulder suddenly stopped hurting on day 4 of IP. Of course, I had been waiting for the MD appointment, which was on Day 7, and then PT started on Day 9. PT seemed to really aggravate it at first.

So, basically, I'm hoping it's the oil, inflammation or the big C.

Because as of this morning, the scale has now not moved for 12 days.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

I know how frustrated you are, but I have to agree with Scorbett. A true plateau is at least 4 weeks with no loss in pounds or inches.

Unfortunately I have been through 3 plateaus throughout my journey but making small adjustments (many have been suggested) will eventually break it!

Stick with it!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #33  
4/13-12/13 80lbs Loss

S/C/G: 256/176/120

Height: 5'0"

I have been frustrated with my results too. Last week I only lost 1.8lbs at the clinic weigh in and my coach was disappointed, so then I became disappointed. This morning I weighed at home and I've only lost 2lbs this week and my weigh in at the clinic is tomorrow. I was feeling disappointed again until when I went downstairs to get dressed. I grabbed a pair of underwear that I bought when I weighted 220lbs and never wore them because they were too tight. Well guess what - I put them on and they were loose! I bet next week they'll be too big.

This diet does amazing things!

Even though I only lost 2lbs on the scale, I have lost a lot of fat since last week. I tend to build muscle mass very easy so it doesn't help my weight loss sometimes since I can't seem to sit still on the weekends. I'm either gardening, cleaning or organizing my house. So while the scale is a good tool, I'll be measuring my success from now on by the way my clothes fit.

Last edited by nalaroo; 06-03-2013 at 09:54 AM.
nalaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #34  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalaroo View Post
I have been frustrated with my results too. Last week I only lost 1.8lbs at the clinic weigh in and my coach was disappointed, so then I became disappointed. This morning I weighed at home and I've only lost 2lbs this week and my weigh in at the clinic is tomorrow. I was feeling disappointed again until when I went downstairs to get dressed. I grabbed a pair of underwear that I bought when I weighted 220lbs and never wore them because they were too tight. Well guess what - I put them on and they were loose! I bet next week they'll be too big.

This diet does amazing things!

Even though I only lost 2lbs on the scale, I have lost a lot of fat since last week. I tend to build muscle mass very easy so it doesn't help my weight loss sometimes since I can't seem to sit still on the weekends. I'm either gardening, cleaning or organizing my house. So while the scale is a good tool, I'll be measuring my success from now on by the way my clothes fit.

You know what's coming

ONLY is a 4-letter word around here - there is no such thing as "I ONLY lost". You lost! That's another victory over every pound that has held you back up till now.

Aside from that, 2lbs is a GOOD loss, not a disappointing one. The CORRECT average weight loss on IP is 2-3lbs per week, so you are EXACTLY on track. Shame on your coach for not being current on their information, and not celebrating your successes.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #35  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

S/C/G: 222/151/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
I know how frustrated you are, but I have to agree with Scorbett. A true plateau is at least 4 weeks with no loss in pounds or inches.

Unfortunately I have been through 3 plateaus throughout my journey but making small adjustments (many have been suggested) will eventually break it!

Stick with it!
Can you really hit a plateau in week 3? Seems soon to me, but I wake up every day hoping for that Woosh I've read about. So far, nothing. 13 days and not a thing. My husband is losing steadily and we prepare our foods together. I have not cheated once. He, on the other hand has messed up on his red vs blacks and had a couple of days with 2 restricted items. He also drinks less water than me.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I have to wonder, could there be something medically wrong? Liver? Kidneys? I've done a ton of reading and haven't come across anyone who has plateaued so soon.

I am really trying to believe you all, I swear. But it's hard. Most people have amazing results in the first month and I thought I would too. I came I to this totally committed but its really hard to keep that commitment right now. If I had already lost 15 or 20 pounds and I was in a rut, I think it would be easier. Not easy, but easier. I can't help but weight myself every morning. I wake up so hopeful and then..... Nothing. Even my clothes don't feel looser. I've measured myself and I don't see a change there either. I could handle the scale not moving if the inches were.

Sorry for the depressing post. I'm just really down on myself. I want to believe it is working but you would think, being in my first month, SOMETHING would have moved in the past 2 weeks.
hangdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #36  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Can you really hit a plateau in week 3? Seems soon to me, but I wake up every day hoping for that Woosh I've read about. So far, nothing. 13 days and not a thing. My husband is losing steadily and we prepare our foods together. I have not cheated once. He, on the other hand has messed up on his red vs blacks and had a couple of days with 2 restricted items. He also drinks less water than me.

I'm not throwing in the towel yet, but I have to wonder, could there be something medically wrong? Liver? Kidneys? I've done a ton of reading and haven't come across anyone who has plateaued so soon.

I am really trying to believe you all, I swear. But it's hard. Most people have amazing results in the first month and I thought I would too. I came I to this totally committed but its really hard to keep that commitment right now. If I had already lost 15 or 20 pounds and I was in a rut, I think it would be easier. Not easy, but easier. I can't help but weight myself every morning. I wake up so hopeful and then..... Nothing. Even my clothes don't feel looser. I've measured myself and I don't see a change there either. I could handle the scale not moving if the inches were.

Sorry for the depressing post. I'm just really down on myself. I want to believe it is working but you would think, being in my first month, SOMETHING would have moved in the past 2 weeks.
As we mentioned before, having the scale stand still for 13 days is NOT a stall or a plateau. You would have to see no movement on the scale or in your measurements for a MONTH before it would be truly considered a plateau.

- Your body has dropped 9.5 inches in 3 weeks. That is a dramatic change.
- You have lost 8lbs in 3 weeks. Depending on your height, starting weight and how much you want to lose, this can also qualify as a dramatic change.

ANY time you have a dramatic change your body is going to adjust. So in short, YES IT IS NORMAL for your weight loss to stabilize in week 3 (and sometimes also week 4). Your body will adjust, then the losses will pick up again.

This is the way IP works. Many of us have offered explanations and advice based on experience. I understand that you set internal expectations, which may have not been fully informed - but you have to choose either to adjust those expectations, or move on. That is a decision that only you can make.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:

In the beginning, I did not appreciate what losing inches means. I lost 8 inches the first 3 weeks. Some of us are slow out of the starting gate to see scale results...my old body took a right good while to recognize it needed to burn fat!! And had done less of that than I'd hoped at the end of the 1st month. Way less. I began losing more inches than ounces...before the pounds registered, so there was something happening. Is your clinic measuring you? It's hard to do it on yourself accurately. Any seamstress will tell you that! I decided I needed to give this program 3 months of a good faith effort before giving up on the process. By then the scale had starting to reflect consistent loss. By then I also figured out some of the higher sodium foods might be complicating my water retention as I've never used a lot of salt..but the soups are HIGH. Take a look at what you are eating...and check the nutritional data. There may be more sodium than you personally are supposed to have. Many people on this forum are not bothered at all by the sodium, but like me there are a lot of us who have too look at that. Also...I made sure I was drinking well over 90 ounces of water /day...and got off caffeinated coffee and tea at the time I upped the H20. And seafood...it is wonderful..nutritious and low in calories...but I always hold water after I have it for dinner.

Last edited by 65X65; 06-03-2013 at 04:06 PM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #38  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

Thank you to everyone for the support. Well, good news. I woke up this morning and voila!!! 3 pounds!!!! Literally 3 lbs in 24 hours. I had to weight myself 3 times to believe it.

I credit increasing the olive oil so I will keep that up. Woo hoo!!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Hangdog, that is fantastic news!! That had happened to me before and it's still crazy. Wake up, and literally several pounds give! Keep up the good work :-)
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #40  
IP start 4/17/13

S/C/G: 259/213.6/146

Height: 5' 9.5"

Quote:
Thank you to everyone for the support. Well, good news. I woke up this morning and voila!!! 3 pounds!!!! Literally 3 lbs in 24 hours. I had to weight myself 3 times to believe it.

I credit increasing the olive oil so I will keep that up. Woo hoo!!!!
That is awesome !
So that 11lb in a month?

Congratulations !!!
WestLAgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #41  
IP Start Date 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
Hangdog, that is fantastic news!! That had happened to me before and it's still crazy. Wake up, and literally several pounds give! Keep up the good work :-)
Crazy for sure. Hard to believe our bodies can hold and release like that. But now I'm getting greedy and I'm hoping for another drop tomorrow morning!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLAgrl View Post
That is awesome !
So that 11lb in a month?

Congratulations !!!
First month, and its actually 11 lbs in 22 days. . But who's counting????? Hahahaha! I figure some of that early loss was water weight but, hey, it's still a loss. Would be thrilled if I could just keep it steady from here. Meanwhile, my husband has lost 24 lbs in those same 11 days. Not fair, but I get it. At this rate, I'm afraid he will weigh less than me in a couple of months. THAT will not be okay with me!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #42  
IP start 4/17/13

S/C/G: 259/213.6/146

Height: 5' 9.5"

Hang in there ))

Just think of the final destination and have fun on this journey
WestLAgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #43  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

There is a big difference between weight loss and fat loss. Every dieter should know the difference. Sadly the IP diet is challenged in the area of educating it's dieters.

Fat loss is always an equation of energy. Energy is measured in calories. The body has energy needs and those needs will be met. It cannot create energy from the sun like plants, if you don't eat enough food to meet the bodies needs it will pull from stored energy. This is not up for debate. Anyone who tells you fat loss happens in any other way is either ignorant or trying to sell you something.

Weight loss is not the same thing as fat loss. Water is retained by the body, especially in women, for any number of reasons. Stress, diet and exercise are the primary contributors but the factors that dictate weight loss vary from person to person and in women by the time of the month.

The problem is we cannot accurately measure fat loss outside of a lab so we rely on weight loss to determine progress. Weight loss is not linear in most people.

The IP diet is a commercial diet program. Like any other commercial diet program it has marketing material. 3-5 lbs a week is possible only if your energy needs are such that 700-900 calories a day ends up creating a deficit big enough to sustain that kind of loss.

A lb of fat roughly has 3500 calories. So if you need 4200 calories a day and you eat 700 calories you would burn off aproximately 1 lb of fat per day. To lose 5 lbs a week you would need to have a weekly deficit of 17,500 calories (3500 x 5) or a daily deficit of 2500 calories.

Bottom line is - weight loss is not the same thing as fat loss. If you're in a caloric deficit you're losing fat. The scale might not be reflecting it because the scale is only measuring weight. Patience is key. If you haven't lost any weight after 8 weeks than it is fair to say you're not losing fat.

By the way, the bioimpedance scales or hand held devices are practically useless for measuring week by week changes.

Hope this helps.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote