Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 208/208/145

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRegan View Post
Good Morning everyone!

Had to share my son is coming home from college tomorrow, I have not
seen him since Jan 7th. He goes to school 500 miles away and he didnt come home for spring break this year,
He has no idea I've been on IP and excerising, so I cant wait to see his reaction.

Of course he'll want me to cook this weekend, so I will be careful, LOL!
Missed him so much. It will be a great Mothers Day!!!

Have an awesome day everyone!

D
DRegan: Happy Mother's Day. I am sure your son will be so happy and proud of you when he sees how beautiful his momma is. What a great gift to the both of you. Sending big hugs to you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritman View Post
Hey folks. Been busy the last little while and not posting much. Working on my motorcycle, work and life getting in the way. I've been checking in daily to see what's new just not posting.

Weighed in this morning and the scale reads a loss of 1 pound for the week. Which allows me to say I've broken the 300 pound mark. 299 is my weight as of this morning.

While 1 pound is far lower than my other losses more importantly to me I've had a few NSV. First more inches have been lost, my pants are getting baggy again and I had to punch another hole in my belt.

Also I was able to buy a digital bathroom scale. This is a big deal for me because when I first started on IP the only scale that I could find that went up to 400 pounds was an analog scale. The numbers on the dial are extremely difficult to read, but when you have limited choices you make due with what you have available. Sort of seems like a mantra for those of us who are obese doesn't it? Another thing that I can use to keep me motivated - actually having more choice.

Have a good day all.
Spiritman: Well, we understand how this time of year everyone seems to get busier but we do miss your posts. Congrats on the 299! BTW what type of motorcycle are you working on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyMaggies View Post
Ugh. I went to another dinner party last night and didn't fare nearly as well as I did this weekend. I broke down and cheated pretty hardcore.

Woke up this morning feeling awful with the worst headache, and I bet that's why. Hopefully I'll remember this morning the next time I am tempted to cheat.

My next test will be the cookout on Sunday, to which I'm bringing dessert, and then two weeks from now I'm making a WEDDING CAKE.

I can do this, I can do this, I can do this... :P
TooManyMaggies: Yes, you can do this. Do not beat yourself down for the slipup. You made a choice and are feeling the results of that choice. Pick yourself up and keep pressing on. If we put ourselves down for every little error then we waste so much time and energy on the mistake that we forget about what success we have had so far and the success that we will continue to have in the future. Here is a hug to encourage you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiandieter View Post
So, I had my "official" WI at the clinic today and I've reached goal + 1lb! Phase 2 here I come have a great OP day everyone
WOW! :congrats:

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingit50 View Post
Mother of Groom: I have been phasing between alternatives and IP products and I realized that it is a bit like the army " don't tell" rule at my clinic. I bought a few products some weeks and said I had many left over and this week bought a full weeks worth because I wanted to stock up. We don't discuss anything in detail, my visit is super short, no more than 5 minutes with my coach. But, I am good with that. The cost is getting really prohibitive for me.

Here's to keeping determined and focused OP style today!
MotherofGroom: I agree with workingit50 on the "don't tell" rule. I a box here and there from my clinic but most of my protein is alternatives now. I started with about 50% alternatives and now am about 75% alternatives. My coach has not asked about my purchases, but my clinic is so busy all the time that I am not sure they even notice what I buy and when I buy it. I still purchase my supplements there but not much else. I hope this helps in some way. I wish you luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
Hi Randygrl,
I have a big dehydrator (you can fit a pair of boots in there - or bread to rise, make yogurt, and such) it drys evenly and I don't have to rotate trays for shelves around yada yada.. The veggies come out prettier, more colorful, and I'd say with better flavor as I sometimes over do them in the oven. However they aren't faster (depending on what your oven setting is that you use). It is not as critical on the timing to get them out before they are over done. If I'm doing a small batch of kale chips and I want them quick, I do them in the oven still. if I'm doing a few batches of kale chips I use the dehydrator. My DH and I make no carb jerky in our dehydrator. We are growing a vegetable garden this summer and plan on using the dehydrator to keep some of the garden - maybe that's wishful thinking we will have that sort of crop that needs "stored" lol.

There are lots of dehydrator you tube videos out there showing how to use them. As far as IP goes, I'd say it's up to you and how big of batches you intend to make at a time, and how closely you want to watch the oven. I find I am tempted by the kale chips so much that I've started just making smaller batches so I don't have them sitting around ready to eat. I haven't been making other kinds of chips lately, but will be when we have our own zucchini and onions producing. I'll be P4 by end of June, so carrots, and beans are also on the agenda.
What kind do you have? I have three kids so I find when I am trying to make zuchinni chips or any other cooked vegetables that it is a little stressful because I am trying to prepare my food, their food, keep the house from burning down, etc... I wanted to know if a dehydrator would help me make some things in bigger batches and keep good for the week, taste good, etc... Thank you for the help.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #18  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by randygrl View Post
What kind do you have? I have three kids so I find when I am trying to make zuchinni chips or any other cooked vegetables that it is a little stressful because I am trying to prepare my food, their food, keep the house from burning down, etc... I wanted to know if a dehydrator would help me make some things in bigger batches and keep good for the week, taste good, etc... Thank you for the help.
We have this one http://www.gardensalive.com/excalibu...drator/p/4152/ This is the best deal we found for this model - which we really researched and wanted for our needs. It may be overkill for many - but it's going to last When we bought it, if you sign up for their newsletter they give you a $100 off a $200 purchase (you have to use it like within a week of signing up or something - there's a time limit so don't sign up for the newsletter right away if you want to wait a while to buy). I think they still do that.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 174/130/130

Height: 5'3"

So I tried to make things easier by getting some steam in the bag veggies for lunch to take to work. There was one with carrots but I figured i would pick them out. Geez half the bag was carrots! oh well. gets me a little under the 2 cup mark because the bag was 3.5 cups. I was just surprised how many there were and was venting......
Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
So I tried to make things easier by getting some steam in the bag veggies for lunch to take to work. There was one with carrots but I figured i would pick them out. Geez half the bag was carrots! oh well. gets me a little under the 2 cup mark because the bag was 3.5 cups. I was just surprised how many there were and was venting......
I feel you on this. Some days I feel like carrots are the bane of my existence.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 201/156/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi Everyone!
Have a great day! I just got my signature today, and I am so excited!!!
Keep on being strong!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #22  

I did step on my scale this morning and saw a number that I have not seen in about 4 years. 189
Old 05-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #23  
Start Date Oct. 29, 2014!

S/C/G: 215/215/125

Height: 4'11

Default "Alternative"

So, my first day is approaching - May 11th! My boyfriend has decided to do this with me as well, which is great!

We got our food from protifoods.com, have gotten our shopping list together for our lettuce, veggies and proteins. Pretty much figured out the supplements and are picking those up on Friday.

We aren't doing the actual "IP" diet, in that we aren't going to the centers or meeting with a coach - but we do have the actual IP diet and are just matching ProtiDiet foods to that, so following the IP protocol.

I've seen reference however to the phrase "I'm doing the alternative" which I take to be something different than "generic." Does IP have the diet and then an alternative diet? I ask because I saw this in a thread where someone said "I'm doing the alternative, because I'm diabetic."

My boyfriend is diabetic. Is it better for him to do this "alternative". What is it exactly? Can you still go generic and do the alternative?

Thanks!

Last edited by rkcolbert; 05-09-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 181.5/170/140

Height: 5' 4.5"

Congrats to everyone for shedding pounds this week!

I dropped 4.4 this week. Woo hoo! Considering one of my dogs helped me to start my day with two fat lips and a bloody nose, at least I can still say I had a good day
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #25  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcolbert View Post
So, my first day is approaching - May 11th! My boyfriend has decided to do this with me as well, which is great!

We got our food from protifoods.com, have gotten our shopping list together for our lettuce, veggies and protiens. Pretty much figured out the supplements and are picking those up on Friday.

We aren't doing the actual "IP" diet, in that we aren't going to the centers or meeting with a coach - but we do have the actual IP diet and are just matching ProtiDiet foods to that, so following the IP protocol.

I've seen reference however to the phrase "I'm doing the alternative" which I take to be something different than "generic." Does IP have the diet and then an alternative diet? I ask because I saw this in a thread where someone said "I'm doing the alternative, because I'm diabetic."

My boyfriend is diabetic. Is it better for him to do this "alternative". What is it exactly? Can you still go generic and do the alternative?

Thanks!
Yes, there is an alternative for diabetics that take insulin so they never go into ketosis, which can kill them. If you are diabetic and NOT taking insulin (mine is controlled with Metformin) you can do the regular IP diet.

Then there's the "using alternatives" means using other protein products/foods. Not actual Ideal Protein products.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #26  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:

We got our food from protifoods.com, have gotten our shopping list together for our lettuce, veggies and protiens. Pretty much figured out the supplements and are picking those up on Friday.

Thanks!
It can get a little confusing

Those of us who use off-brand products often refer to them as "alternative" products - alternative to the IP brand. Basically it just means that when you look at ANY of the IP protocol sheets, where it says to use an IP packet you use one of the off-brand products that lines up nutritionally with IP's stuff.

There is ALSO an "official" Alternative Phase 1 protocol that is designed for diabetics and people who don't tolerate the standard Phase 1. On that plan you do not put your body into ketosis, and foods that are NOT permitted on regular Phase 1 (fruit, dairy, grain) are allowed in specific portions and only one group choice at each mean (never combining any two groups). It keeps a diabetic's body from going hypoglycemic while on very low calories.

RE: your boyfriend, it would depend on the brand of his diabetes. There are many folks who have type 2 diabetes that have followed the regular Phase 1 protocol - and as they have lost weight have been able to reduce or eliminate their medication (with a doctor's guidance). If he is Type 1, though, I would definitely recommend that he follow the alternative protocol.

Here is a link to a post with all of the Phase 1-4 sheets for the Alternative Protocol:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4600703-post36.html
Old 05-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #27  
Start Date Oct. 29, 2014!

S/C/G: 215/215/125

Height: 4'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leannekarella View Post
Yes, there is an alternative for diabetics that take insulin so they never go into ketosis, which can kill them. If you are diabetic and NOT taking insulin (mine is controlled with Metformin) you can do the regular IP diet.

Then there's the "using alternatives" means using other protein products/foods. Not actual Ideal Protein products.
Thank you! He doesn't take insulin - manages with Metformin. So I guess we are good to go!

Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #28  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Thank you! He doesn't take insulin - manages with Metformin. So I guess we are good to go!

Do keep an eye that he doesn't get lightheaded.
The first 3 weeks I was on the diet, luckily my daughter was with me every time it happened, but I'd get a little lightheaded, and then I'd start talking a little funny...not making sense.

He needs to keep some of the higher carb bars with him at all times, and if this happens, or he gets the sweats (another sign of low blood sugar) he needs to eat. Even if it's off plan. Get some protein and a few carbs into the body, and it's all good.

After the first few weeks, my body adjusted to the changes, and I've been fine as long as I eat every few hours (four at the most)

Good luck to the both of you!!!
Old 05-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #29  
Started IP 2/13/13

S/C/G: 248/123/123

Height: 5'2"

Somebody noticed me today!!!! Finally!!!

The receptionist at my son's orthodontist this morning said, "You look fantastic!" I knew what she meant, because the both of us have lamented our weight issues for years." I felt so good!

Until . . . the skinny gal next to her had to spin around in her chair and say, "Yeah, my husband did Ideal Protein . . . gained it all back." She coupled her comment with the most sour, I-hate-to-tell-you-this look on her face. Why do people have to do that??

Anyway, I'm so happy that someone noticed. She said the change in me is "un-missable."
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #30  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylviesGirl View Post
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]

Until . . . the skinny gal next to her had to spin around in her chair and say, "Yeah, my husband did Ideal Protein . . . gained it all back." She coupled her comment with the most sour, I-hate-to-tell-you-this look on her face. Why do people have to do that??

Anyway, I'm so happy that someone noticed. She said the change in me is "un-missable."
Grrr - people like that make me mad! I feel like saying "well that's too bad, I'd probably gain it all back too if I went back to eating the way I did before". Seriously, there are MANY folks in the maintainers thread who are still going strong after a year-plus because they made LIFE changes and didn't just assume that because the weight came off that meant they could have a food free-for-all. I'm not "naturally thin", never will be - but I know what I have to do to stay "intentionally thin"

Congrats on the awesome compliment!!
Closed Thread