Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #46  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
OK - I am going to chime in about all this cheat talk - and then move on

I am totally in agreement that we all need to weigh the pros and cons of each situation we encounter and decide what is best for us. I get that life is still going on around us while we are on this journey - and we are all learning how to make good choices for good, not just for now.

But here's the thing - part of weighing the pros and cons has to include the commitment to the process. I equate it to pregnancy. For nine months, I had to look at a much bigger picture than just what was going on around me - my growing child's best interest was part of the equation. I was committed to giving him the best start possible, no matter what that meant to me - so for 9 months I gave up my wine, certain foods I loved, and many activities I enjoyed because they didn't fit the big picture. IP is the same - your long term health is your baby. If you commit to the process, you should be giving it every opportunity to come to fruition as best as possible. That might mean making some hard choices in the short time that you are on the diet.

I get the "specialness" of certain things. I had my 20th high school reunion right around Thanksgiving. I was very involved in the planning process, and it will likely be the only one I go to. I stayed 100% OP for it, and didn't have any less of a good time. Hubby and I just had a wonderful, 100% IP safe V-day complete with delicious food, regular dessert for him and an IP packet dessert for me. Special events and opportunities will be there long after I have been off the diet and maintaining. The point is, we are VERY capable of justifying things if we want to - and yes the reasoning may be completely logical or totally understandable. But IP is a short term commitment with long-term consequences (good ones!) and at least for me, that commitment trumps whatever else gets thrown in my path. I am stronger for saying no when I *could* have said yes, and that is something that will carry me through when I am less restricted.

Just my two cents
Well said Scorbett!

After week one on this diet, and seeing the weight melt off... I honestly haven't had a strong urge (not strong enough to make me stray) to "cheat."
I will stay on plan. It's a commitment I've made to myself and my family.

Besides, the other thing...
If you cheat, it takes a couple of days to get back into ketosis. For me, I think about the price of my IP and IP alternative foods... It costs too much out of my bank account to lose 2 days of weight loss!
Old 02-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 216/209.6/180

Height: 5'9

On the whole cheating debate, I definately see both sides of the story as well. It's great to hear advice on ways things could have been done to avoid the cheat... That is really helpful. We are all adults, we all struggle with things and if one makes the decision to cheat than that is something they live with and have to continue on what path they decide.

I also feel like we are all on this for different reasons. For some its IP way or very bad health problems lets call it life or death reasons to be on it. For others it's a way to lose weight but not a life changing event. I guess food is some peoples biggest struggle, for others there could be struggles bigger than that .....

I am on it right now to get to a more comfortable weight and yes will be going off when I go on holiday. When I get back I will decide where I want to be. For now I am happy and very proud that I am doing this well and have stayed on program (a month OP and have never stayed on a diet this long). I have had so much help from this site and it is great to be on it everyday to help get me through my days.

I do look forward to the treats in life though and I know I always will. This diet will probably not be changing me forever. I can honestly say that, but hope to have some healthier eating habits from it. Kudos to those who are doing so well at goal and maintenance and their stories are inspirational, maybe they will change me, who knows.....I just hope to feel welcome here if my goals are not the same.

For me while I am staying OP and see people have cheated and are posting about it, instead of getting upset that people are talking about cheating, I give myself a pat on the back that I made it through the day yesterday. Some people just have to put it out there as DJ72 says, it helps them be held accountable. Anyway we are all coming here for support to get through things....and I think I have said enough now phew
Old 02-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
I had my first food challenge last night and I think I navigated it well.

Some friends invited me to happy hour so we could discuss this life issue a friend was dealing with and of course I had to go.

I had a packet before I went. I ordered club soda with a lime and drank that only though they pressed a little trying to get me to have a glass of wine or something.

Then we ordered food. I got a mixed green salad, add grilled shrimp, asked them to grill them dry, dressing on the side. I picked the stuff out of the salad I couldn't eat (which coincidentally is stuff I don't like anyway, such as carrots, walnuts [i like these but not on a salad, yuck]). I did use a light scraping of the dressing (dipped a leaf in here or there), which was balsamic vinaigrette.

When I got home, I ate another packet!

I have to admit, they ordered nachos and I looooooooooooooove nachos, but it felt very liberating to make a better choice. I was not caving to the unhealthy choice.

Another reason this was a victory: aunt flo arrived yesterday.
You did great!!!! I went out to eat (something I still dread) with my family yesterday. I had a delicious piece of Salmon and a huge tossed salad. (There were no veggies available I could eat at this place.) EVERYONE had dessert, my daughter got a red velvet cupcake the size of her head. (Most of it is in the fridge now.) My eyes wanted to scoff down that cupcake, but my heart wasn't in it. Went home and made a yummy curry soup and had my fave Soy peanut puffs for dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
Wow, this conversation about cheats is bringing out the and on my shoulders! While I agree that staying OP is super important, I also feel like this is life...we get only one...if there is something that someone deems as very important to them and they want to just live for a day without thinking about IP, then by all means, go for it. I guess the slippery slope happens when cheats become the way of life...The other thing I believe is that if someone is 95% OP and can live with slower losses, then that might make the plan more doable for them...as opposed to one drink equals failure...Just my two cents...as you can see it's clear as mud!!
I totally agree with this!!! What I am going to do on my trip is stressing me out. Do I want to cheat? Not really. Is there anything in Ireland food wise I need to have?? NO. BUT to plan and organize for the entire time I am there (21 days) is already causing me to worry. My In-laws are in a more rural area with a small grocery store in the town over. I joked about having a Guiness, but at most the times I have been in the past I'll have one or two total. My family aren't big drinkers and quite a few eat healthy so it's not like I will be tempted a lot. AND worst of all, I have HUGE issues flying and have always had at least 1 glass of wine before the flight. (Mostly more but that is my deal.)
I think it's not always cut and dry. I thought it was, but now as I face what I consider to be a challenge, it isn't so easy. Am I thrilled with my weight loss so far? ABSOLUTELY. Do I know next time we go to Ireland it will be a lot easier? OF COURSE. But I think there is a lot more involved in everyone's personal circumstances that require them to do what they need to do.
WILL I come back on here and WHINE that I cheated (or go off plan if I do) and look for shoulders to cry on?? NO and you can all feel free to cyber slap me if I do. I think that is what a lot of people have issue with. We all know what IP is about, but we all have our own lives to maneuver. At the end of the day, whatever choices are made, you are only asking for a ***** slap if you come back here and write a pity me post. I for one, have a lot of thinking and planning to do.

Last edited by NinjaNurse; 02-15-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ojenchilada View Post
"Is food really more important to you than YOU???"

Good question and I truly appreciate the feedback, but no, it isn't. I've never had a hard time putting myself first, and God knows I have chosen me and this diet over food and festivity countless times already.

I have put hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars into this event, and I look forward to it every year. It's not really as much about the food and wine as it is about the experience--but, that said, I eat a bite of chocolate pecan pie exactly once per year. I made this promise to myself when I started the program, I told my coach on day 1, I haven't cheated otherwise at all, and I know I won't go off the deep end or slide down a slippery slope--because this isn't anything like sitting on the couch eating a post-dinner ice cream cone.

I am not in a race to lose this weight. I lost nearly 80 pounds several years ago on Weight Watchers. I was 100% OP every single day. I worked myself to death in the gym. I followed all the rules. I participated heavily in the forums. I never went over points, not even once, and I followed all 8 healthy guidelines. I went to all the meetings. When I "finished," I felt like I "deserved" to treat myself because I had been so militant all that time. I got back up to 219 lbs.

Two years later, I did the exact same thing again. I got back up to 222 lbs.

So...I value the concept of being 100% OP, and I agree that if I am going to cheat on a regular basis, I shouldn't do this diet. On the other hand, this is a managed risk that I am willing to take, and I think it is consistent with my plan to actually make a permanent change in my life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskuby View Post
Wow, this conversation about cheats is bringing out the and on my shoulders! While I agree that staying OP is super important, I also feel like this is life...we get only one...if there is something that someone deems as very important to them and they want to just live for a day without thinking about IP, then by all means, go for it. I guess the slippery slope happens when cheats become the way of life...The other thing I believe is that if someone is 95% OP and can live with slower losses, then that might make the plan more doable for them...as opposed to one drink equals failure...Just my two cents...as you can see it's clear as mud!!
LIKE these replies. Cheating is a slippery slope, one I've been on. It's so slippery in fact that one bite becomes two, one day off plan becomes two days, etc. ACK!! Its easier to stay in ketosis, get our moneys worth from the packets and vitamins and get this done!! Getting back into ketosis is a *****, so I'm staying right where I am. We each have it IN US to do this, 100% or in my case 95% (I use a couple more veggies some hungry days and maybe another packet that kind of thing). And in the end, it's a life time change, so I'm focusing on what makes me overeat and fix that. .

Last edited by mompattie; 02-15-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Darn autocomplete you make me crazy!!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #50  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I love this debate and everyone's passion about this program. I promise I won't whine on Monday (after I wine on Sunday). No, I take that back. If I have a headache or tummy ache, I will probably say so. Feel free to ignore me or say "told ya so!" Knowing all the 100%ers are here watching has likely kept me from little day to day cheats--but it won't keep me from being transparent about the choices I am making on this side of the computer screen. I just might need a butt kicking from time to time.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 280/260/180

Height: 5'7

I have HUGE issues flying and have always had at least 1 glass of wine before the flight.

Me too. I haven't been on a plane sine 2000! I will be flying out to AZ next Saturday. I asked my MD for some Xanax, maybe you should too. Happy travels!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glover girl View Post
I have HUGE issues flying and have always had at least 1 glass of wine before the flight.

Me too. I haven't been on a plane sine 2000! I will be flying out to AZ next Saturday. I asked my MD for some Xanax, maybe you should too. Happy travels!
Xanax is my fave but last time I used Klonopin because it was what I had. I may ask for Xanax again.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #53  

Quote:
I love this debate and everyone's passion about this program. I promise I won't whine on Monday (after I wine on Sunday). No, I take that back. If I have a headache or tummy ache, I will probably say so. Feel free to ignore me or say "told ya so!" Knowing all the 100%ers are here watching has likely kept me from little day to day cheats--but it won't keep me from being transparent about the choices I am making on this side of the computer screen. I just might need a butt kicking from time to time.
I agree it's nice to have a nice debate going without anyone slapping hands and ranting this is 100%. We all know that. It's nice to know people struggle too.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #54  
IP Start 01/25/13

S/C/G: 223/182/170

Height: 5'10"

I was lucky on our flight to Dublin. I simply took my usual night time meds right after getting on the plane and woke up about 1/2 hour before landing. The trip back wasn't so good as we got up at 3:30am Dublin time to get to the airport only to find out our flight was delayed by 2 hours. I wound up staying awake for the entire flight from there to NC and on to San Antonio (about 22 hours total).
Old 02-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #55  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

It's not a debate. The people with experience on IP are trying to warn you about the consequences of cheating.

If you look at older threads you kind find countless people who cheated and couldn't get back on plan. They never managed to get back on plan and just dropped off the forum.

I've seen it first hand here. Watched everyone warn someone new that the shouldn't cheat, and that person comes back after posting a couple times about how hard it is to stay on plan after. Eventually they stop posting.

Check out the first poster on the 30 by valentines day thread. Bella struggled after her cheat, and hasn't been back here since end of January.

I hope your cheats are worth it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #56  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
No whine for wine!

I hope that whenever some of us chime in when the "off plan" talk happens that it's taken in the right spirit - I can only speak from my own experiences but I know that 1) I have been able to overcome some GOD AWFUL temptations (not without a little inner temper tantrum but it was a victory!) so I never want to see someone fall off the wagon because they didn't think they could be strong, and 2) this program is darn expensive and I don't like to see people throwing their money away. Ultimately what we all want is for all of us to cross the line into maintenance and do a victory dance
Old 02-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
It's not a debate. The people with experience on IP are trying to warn you about the consequences of cheating.

If you look at older threads you kind find countless people who cheated and couldn't get back on plan. They never managed to get back on plan and just dropped off the forum.

I've seen it first hand here. Watched everyone warn someone new that the shouldn't cheat, and that person comes back after posting a couple times about how hard it is to stay on plan after. Eventually they stop posting.

Check out the first poster on the 30 by valentines day thread. Bella struggled after her cheat, and hasn't been back here since end of January.

I hope your cheats are worth it.
I respectfully disagree. This is a debate. Many people pick a high goal, go on maintenance and then decide later to return to phase 1 and head for a lower goal. They do this successfully.

We are all here for different reasons and make different choices. What will work for some may not work for others. Their choice is not wrong it is their choice. Let's give a cautionary tale not a lecture is I think what would be better received.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #58  
Diaz

S/C/G: 193/187/160

Height: 5'2

I am starting my 4th week on the IP and I have lost 13 pound in 3 weeks This is really hard but I have been faithful to the diet 100% On Sunday I will go out with some friends for the first time since I started this. I was thinking that maybe I would be "cheating" a little bit, but after reading all the comments I think I wont...Is not worth it for me. Will still go out with friends but I will be really careful with my food options.
Good luck to everyone out there!

Last edited by Diaz; 02-15-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: put weight tracker signature
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 210/145/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaz View Post
I am starting my 4th week on the IP and I have lost 13 pound in 3 weeks This is really hard but I have been faithful to the diet 100% On Sunday I will go out with some friends for the first time since I started this. I was thinking that maybe I would be "cheating" a little bit, but after reading all the comments I think I wont...Is not worth it for me. Will still go out with friends but I will be really careful with my food options.
Good luck to everyone out there!

Good for you! If you look through the threads you will find lots of help for good choices. We eat out all time and you will learn what works for you. Check out the restaurant website to check out the menu.

Best wishes and have fun!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #60  

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
No whine for wine!

I hope that whenever some of us chime in when the "off plan" talk happens that it's taken in the right spirit - I can only speak from my own experiences but I know that 1) I have been able to overcome some GOD AWFUL temptations (not without a little inner temper tantrum but it was a victory!) so I never want to see someone fall off the wagon because they didn't think they could be strong, and 2) this program is darn expensive and I don't like to see people throwing their money away. Ultimately what we all want is for all of us to cross the line into maintenance and do a victory dance
S, you know I love you but you know how I feel about some of the replies to people who have struggled enough or are too new that have fallen off plan or cheated. Some of the replies from people who have never cheated or struggled enough to cheat do come across as condescending and smug. It's a turn off. Maybe the person(s) writing did not mean to come across that way, but we all know tone is not reflected on the internet. We are all the same in that we got the way we are (were) and now here for the same basic reason. To lose weight and get healthy. To get support from people who know what it's like and not lectures. (Just saw the Price of Cheating thread bumped again.) How many people come on here stay OP and just leave or don't post?? (I know of one person, they didn't leave because they cheated.) I know if I were TRULY struggling with what to do on my trip (instead of trying to figure it out rationally in my head) and all I got was the we are 100% and the price of cheating thrown in my face, I'd be afraid to post or leave too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rofl306 View Post
I respectfully disagree. This is a debate. Many people pick a high goal, go on maintenance and then decide later to return to phase 1 and head for a lower goal. They do this successfully.

We are all here for different reasons and make different choices. What will work for some may not work for others. Their choice is not wrong it is their choice. Let's give a cautionary tale not a lecture is I think what would be better received.
AMEN SISTA!!!! If none of us had issues with food we wouldn't be here in the 1st place. We've obviously have made plenty of poor food choices over the years and just because we are now on IP doesn't make us automatic Superheroes. Everyone has some sort of kryptonite in their lives.
Closed Thread