3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

IP Weekend Chat Sat/Sun, January 19/20, 2013

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,519

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default IP Weekend Chat Sat/Sun, January 19/20, 2013


Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page (top of forum, above all the topics) for lots of good information and please read here before asking what might be a frequently asked question in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads

More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets
and here Fun with Veggie Purees!

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.

Quoting: The best quoting tip - EVER!! Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #2
Member
 
Trina M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44

Default

What an incredible feeling. I get up every morning and weigh myself ( I know we aren't supposed to) but it keeps me on track seeing the numbers go down! I have done ww twice and in order to see the numbers go down I had to work out for 1 1/2 hours at the gym. Starting week 3 on Ip, this happens with what I am eating and I guess not eating. I have lost more in 2 weeks than I did 6 months on ww and going to the gym. I guess because I have gained muscle during that time it seems to be melting off of me. I am surprised that my last wi I lost 4.4 for a total of 18.4 in 2 weeks!!!!

My husband and I are taking a winter holiday to Los cabosbest and I want to be 200 for that trip. I plan to follow the plan for the most part on the holiday but I do plan on having a few beverages while there. Any advice while away so that I don't put it all back on? I know others that take a week holiday and put on 10-20 pounds and I don't want to do that.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Trina M is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Diane on track July 2014
 
IP43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 1,906

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina M View Post
What an incredible feeling. I get up every morning and weigh myself ... I have lost more in 2 weeks than I did 6 months on ww and going to the gym. ...I am surprised that my last wi I lost 4.4 for a total of 18.4 in 2 weeks!!!!

...Any advice while away so that I don't put it all back on? I know others that take a week holiday and put on 10-20 pounds and I don't want to do that.
.
GREAT JOB SO FAR!! Not to put a downer on your success, but I do want to re-iterate that weight losses are greatest in the first few weeks, then you may get a "whoosh" once in awhile, but for all the newbies, don't get stressed if your numbers go down a bit as you settle into routine. It's great to see those big numbers at the beginning, but I think people start to get disheartened when their numbers level out to smaller ones. Any loss is a loss

As for your trip, there were a lot of posts -- a thread even -- on travelling on IP last summer. This isn't a great site for "searching" but do a search through "google" on travelling and IP and see if that thread comes up as there were tons of great ideas and advice.
__________________

Last edited by IP43 : 01-19-2013 at 09:17 AM.
IP43 is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Started IP 12/6/12
 
bubbleblower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 635

S/C/G: 174/133/133

Height: 5'7"

Default

Congrats on the losses, Trina! This program definitely works. All you have to do is stick with it, but therein lies the rub.

When I started, I was in a somewhat similar position, facing the looming holidays plus a two week vacation to the Caribbean. At the start, I was thinking along the lines you are, figuring that I'd probably at least want a glass of champagne to toast the new year on the beach. By the time it rolled around, though, I was too psyched by how well I was doing, and too committed to doing this for myself to even risk screwing it up. So, I packed my IP packets and supplements and stayed OP the whole time I was away.I don't think that my change of mind was really that unusual, as I've seen so many truly committed people here.

In my way of thinking, little cheats become bigger ones, and before you know it you could be off program completely. Is it worth the risk? It wasn't to me. I stayed 100% OP the entire time, and I really can't say it affected the amount of fun I had. If anything, I had a better time, because I was proud of myself for following up on a commitment I had made to myself.

I'm sorry if this sounds preachy at all, since I really don't mean it that way. I just know that in hindsight I'm really glad that I stuck to the program and continue to every day. Are there times I'm tired of it and wish I didn't have to plan and think about every single little thing I put in my mouth? Absolutely! But I was unhappy about my weight for many, many years, and I feel so good that I'm finally doing something about it that I'm just not going to risk a set back. It took me too long to get to this point and I'm not wasting another day! (My weight hasn't been what it is today for almost 20 years. )
__________________


bubbleblower is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
IP start Aug 2012
 
lisa32989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 7,519

S/C/G: 260.2/186 /163

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina M View Post
What an incredible feeling. I get up every morning and weigh myself ( I know we aren't supposed to) but it keeps me on track seeing the numbers go down! I have done ww twice and in order to see the numbers go down I had to work out for 1 1/2 hours at the gym. Starting week 3 on Ip, this happens with what I am eating and I guess not eating. I have lost more in 2 weeks than I did 6 months on ww and going to the gym. I guess because I have gained muscle during that time it seems to be melting off of me. I am surprised that my last wi I lost 4.4 for a total of 18.4 in 2 weeks!!!!

My husband and I are taking a winter holiday to Los cabosbest and I want to be 200 for that trip. I plan to follow the plan for the most part on the holiday but I do plan on having a few beverages while there. Any advice while away so that I don't put it all back on? I know others that take a week holiday and put on 10-20 pounds and I don't want to do that.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Welcome! I'm so glad you're doing well!
I'm going to join with my IP buddies here.
Advice for while away to not put it all back on: stay on the plan!

I've said this a zillion times on this site. There is NEVER a good time to be on a diet. This isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. We are either committed or we aren't.
Life continues to happen while we are losing weight. There are parties, festivals, vacations, weddings, birthdays, funerals, graduations, yada, yada. We can stay on plan and lose weight or we can choose a very slippery slope and go off plan. Go back and read posts from a year ago. Look at tickers. Are those folks at goal? Who is at goal? The people who stuck with it thru EVERYTHING or the people who went off plan for "just this one thing"?

It is your choice what to do. I've been reading these boards since June and started IP first week of Aug. in that time I've seen LOTS of people choose the "just this once" approach. Some are retuning now in the new year with significant weight gains. Others have never been heard from again. I haven't see any continue to goal (unless they had a big weight gain from their break).

In that time, I've gone to many dinners with friends, football tailgates, holiday parties, a 10-day Florida vacation over the holidays, and gone to the bar with friends. I've "watched" others on this board succeed thru holiday baking, family funerals, job loss, illness, vacations, and other major life events.

Success is all in the planning. If you plan success, you will succeed. If you plan failure, you will.
__________________
Losing weight is hard. Maintenance is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard. (-Ishbel)
lisa32989 is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,767

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trina M View Post
What an incredible feeling. I get up every morning and weigh myself ( I know we aren't supposed to) but it keeps me on track seeing the numbers go down! I have done ww twice and in order to see the numbers go down I had to work out for 1 1/2 hours at the gym. Starting week 3 on Ip, this happens with what I am eating and I guess not eating. I have lost more in 2 weeks than I did 6 months on ww and going to the gym. I guess because I have gained muscle during that time it seems to be melting off of me. I am surprised that my last wi I lost 4.4 for a total of 18.4 in 2 weeks!!!!

My husband and I are taking a winter holiday to Los cabosbest and I want to be 200 for that trip. I plan to follow the plan for the most part on the holiday but I do plan on having a few beverages while there. Any advice while away so that I don't put it all back on? I know others that take a week holiday and put on 10-20 pounds and I don't want to do that.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Congrats, you're off to a great start! My advice - stay 100% OP. It can be done... and by doing so you reinforce the good habits and block the old bad ones. Once you break the 100% routine, it's soooo easy to backslide. Don't do it! Many, many people here have carried on 100% during a wide varity of life celebrations, holidays, trips, etc. with great success. It can be done, quite easily. And the self-satisfaction you'll get from sticking with your committment - and coming back to a weigh-in that shows a LOSS on the scale - makes it totally worth while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
GREAT JOB SO FAR!! Not to put a downer on your success, but I do want to re-iterate that weight losses are greatest in the first few weeks, then you may get a "whoosh" once in awhile, but for all the newbies, don't get stressed if your numbers go down a bit as you settle into routine. It's great to see those big numbers at the beginning, but I think people start to get disheartened when their numbers level out to smaller ones. Any loss is a loss

As for your trip, there were a lot of posts -- a thread even -- on travelling on IP last summer. This isn't a great site for "searching" but do a search through "google" on travelling and IP and see if that thread comes up as there were tons of great ideas and advice.
ITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
Congrats on the losses, Trina! This program definitely works. All you have to do is stick with it, but therein lies the rub.

When I started, I was in a somewhat similar position, facing the looming holidays plus a two week vacation to the Caribbean. At the start, I was thinking along the lines you are, figuring that I'd probably at least want a glass of champagne to toast the new year on the beach. By the time it rolled around, though, I was too psyched by how well I was doing, and too committed to doing this for myself to even risk screwing it up. So, I packed my IP packets and supplements and stayed OP the whole time I was away.I don't think that my change of mind was really that unusual, as I've seen so many truly committed people here.

In my way of thinking, little cheats become bigger ones, and before you know it you could be off program completely. Is it worth the risk? It wasn't to me. I stayed 100% OP the entire time, and I really can't say it affected the amount of fun I had. If anything, I had a better time, because I was proud of myself for following up on a commitment I had made to myself.

I'm sorry if this sounds preachy at all, since I really don't mean it that way. I just know that in hindsight I'm really glad that I stuck to the program and continue to every day. Are there times I'm tired of it and wish I didn't have to plan and think about every single little thing I put in my mouth? Absolutely! But I was unhappy about my weight for many, many years, and I feel so good that I'm finally doing something about it that I'm just not going to risk a set back. It took me too long to get to this point and I'm not wasting another day! (My weight hasn't been what it is today for almost 20 years. )
Yep - why risk it? Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Welcome! I'm so glad you're doing well!
I'm going to join with my IP buddies here.
Advice for while away to not put it all back on: stay on the plan!

I've said this a zillion times on this site. There is NEVER a good time to be on a diet. This isn't a diet. It is a lifestyle change. We are either committed or we aren't.
Life continues to happen while we are losing weight. There are parties, festivals, vacations, weddings, birthdays, funerals, graduations, yada, yada. We can stay on plan and lose weight or we can choose a very slippery slope and go off plan. Go back and read posts from a year ago. Look at tickers. Are those folks at goal? Who is at goal? The people who stuck with it thru EVERYTHING or the people who went off plan for "just this one thing"?

It is your choice what to do. I've been reading these boards since June and started IP first week of Aug. in that time I've seen LOTS of people choose the "just this once" approach. Some are retuning now in the new year with significant weight gains. Others have never been heard from again. I haven't see any continue to goal (unless they had a big weight gain from their break).

In that time, I've gone to many dinners with friends, football tailgates, holiday parties, a 10-day Florida vacation over the holidays, and gone to the bar with friends. I've "watched" others on this board succeed thru holiday baking, family funerals, job loss, illness, vacations, and other major life events.

Success is all in the planning. If you plan success, you will succeed. If you plan failure, you will.
Could not agree more. As someone who's met her original goal weight, gone briefly into maintenance and returned to P1 after deciding upon a lower goal weight, I agree that this has to be a 'lifestyle change'. Otherwise those lbs are just going to come back. And I'm sure that no one here wants this to be just another yo-yo diet effort.

--------------

In line with the above, I've stumbled across an online counselling program for emotional eating, which is based on the principles of Dr. Roger Gould who wrote the book 'Shrink Yourself'. I recall seeing that book highly recommended here some months ago. I just want to include the link here for anyone who might want to introduce an online counselling aspect to the diet.
http://www.shrinkyourself.com/the_solution.asp
I haven't as yet. But if I find myself battling with what I recognize as being emotional eating when I get into maintenance, I'll consider it. I have a long mirror hanging on the wall across from my bed, and every morning when I get up I can see the silhouette of my newly slim figure in that mirror. Not to sound narcisstic, but it always gives me a little thrill. I'm proud of my newly slimmed down body and feel like I've got the real *me* back again. There's no way I'm gaining weight back this time around.

Cheers everyone. Have a great OP day.
__________________
I invite you to visit my blog at http://diettalktoday.com It's focus is on helping those who chose to use alternative products.

Last edited by evepet : 01-19-2013 at 10:41 AM.
evepet is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1

S/C/G: 177/161/130

Height: 5'4''

Default 3rd week on IP

Hello, I am on my third week of starting IP. So far, doing great! First week, lost 11.2, 2nd week - 2.4. Enjoying reading this blog and all of your success stories. Thanks for sharing! Getting a bit bored with the veggies I've been eating, so looking forward to trying some of your recipes.
lizbutt65 is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nolawhodatchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Default

Trina-
My advice is also to stay 100% OP on vacation. I read the archives a lot regarding people who went on vacation and went off diet. Though some successfully deviated from their diet only a little and only for a few days, lots and lots of them ran into serious trouble with weight gain, got derailed and gained so much that they undid much or all of the hard work they put into IP before. And those are only reports of the folks who returned to start over and who shared their stories...I wonder how many more got so discouraged they just gave up. The thing is, reading their plans to go on vacation (or for the winter holidays) and off diet, they all sounded like they had the willpower to handle this deviation from IP. While some did, others got completely derailed. But I think they all thought it was going to be a very minor issue when they made the plan, and for some it was a deal-breaker. Not worth the risk to me.

edited to add: I used the term "willpower"...but maybe it's not a willpower issue. Carb cravings can become a terrible physical issue when you reintroduce carbs in an unstructured way. It might be this physical reaction of the body is very hard to fight despite one's emotional "willpower".
__________________




Entered Maintenance Feb. 19, 2013 at 144 lbs.
Started reboot June 18, 2014.

Last edited by Nolawhodatchick : 01-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Nolawhodatchick is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bellamack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,795

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Agree with everyone's comments. I did strict IP for 5 months in 2011, I wanted to take a break for the holidays that year and I was within 10 lbs of goal, so I said I will maintain and then get right back on the first of the year, WELL, 2 years later I am back on with a big REGAIN to get rid of. Truly, just telling you this for your own good. I never cheated once for the 5 months I was on, but then like others have said, the SLIPPERY SLOPE became and AVALANCHE! Stay OP
__________________
Bellamack is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Nolawhodatchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Default

Lisa-

Just realized I said basically the same thing you did (after u already said it!) I was thinking of taking a break from IP, not for holiday, but because I was so tired physically and thought maybe the body needed a break. I got lots of good advice from you and a few others who have been around a while, some in maintenance, up packets, try moving my food around, etc...but the best advice I got was to read the archives and see for myself what happened to folks who took a break. And I did. And it convinced me it was a risky thing to do. So thanks for the advice. I made it through (including energy issues, holiday and vacation) and am less than 10 lbs from goal today. I am thrilled!
__________________




Entered Maintenance Feb. 19, 2013 at 144 lbs.
Started reboot June 18, 2014.
Nolawhodatchick is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Bellamack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 1,795

S/C/G: 205/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default

Nola, and it was the 10 lbs to go that got me. I thought I could "handle it from here", stay strong and don't give in.
__________________
Bellamack is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #12
Started IP 7/9/12
 
ragdoll74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 1,751

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Default

Trina- Congrats on the fantastic success so far.

I totally agree with what everyone has said so far. If you stay OP on this vacation that means you will get to goal sooner and be able to enjoy the spring, summer, holidays, etc that much slimmer. I'm not sure how much you are trying to lose, but going off plan will ruin that great momentum you have.

If you still decide you want to go off plan during vacation, then I suggest you do the full phase off before (2 weeks each phase 2 &phase 3.) Then eat phase 4 during vacation and go back to phase 1 when you return. Just know that you will gain a little during phase 3 & 4, but it should come off quickly when you get back to phase 1. You will also be losing about 3-4 weeks of weight loss, which could be as much as 12 lbs that you would have lost if had stayed on plan.

So you just keep in mind what you are possibly giving up so that you can drink and eat off plan on vacation. If it's worth it for you, then just make sure you phase off properly so you don't undo your fantastic progress so far.
__________________
started maintenance 6/14/13
ragdoll74 is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Nolawhodatchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 417

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Nola, and it was the 10 lbs to go that got me. I thought I could "handle it from here", stay strong and don't give in.
Will do, Bella! Thanks for sharing your story. It's helping me to stay focused. Glad you are here!
__________________




Entered Maintenance Feb. 19, 2013 at 144 lbs.
Started reboot June 18, 2014.
Nolawhodatchick is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
mompattie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,287

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolawhodatchick View Post
Trina-
My advice is also to stay 100% OP on vacation. I read the archives a lot regarding people who went on vacation and went off diet. Though some successfully deviated from their diet only a little and only for a few days, lots and lots of them ran into serious trouble with weight gain, got derailed and gained so much that they undid much or all of the hard work they put into IP before. And those are only reports of the folks who returned to start over and who shared their stories...I wonder how many more got so discouraged they just gave up. The thing is, reading their plans to go on vacation (or for the winter holidays) and off diet, they all sounded like they had the willpower to handle this deviation from IP. While some did, others got completely derailed. But I think they all thought it was going to be a very minor issue when they made the plan, and for some it was a deal-breaker. Not worth the risk to me.

edited to add: I used the term "willpower"...but maybe it's not a willpower issue. Carb cravings can become a terrible physical issue when you reintroduce carbs in an unstructured way. It might be this physical reaction of the body is very hard to fight despite one's emotional "willpower".
I totally agree with the physical carb cravings!!! Almost can be stronger Han willpower!! Getting back on track means week 1 cravings and willpower all over again!! Once ketosis hits it is so much better for cravings go away and energy level go up! But that week one restart is brutal!!
__________________

I've finally realized that I AM WORTH IT!
mompattie is offline  
Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
Member
 
gidgetonsweets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 47

S/C/G: 250/215/150

Height: 5.4

Default Lost 10.5

I am so excited. I did 1st WI and lost 10.5 . I was so shocked and happy. My husband will be away working for 30 days, and i am trying to get off to a good start before he returns. I know it will be complicated to do this when he is home for 30 days. During the 30 days he is off from work we have fiesta. We celebrate like its a holiday. Cooking and Drinking.
I didn't tell him I was doing IP or dieting at all. He is the one that helped me gain all the weight. lol Everytime he leaves to run errands He returns with treats donuts, boudin, cracklins, candy and ice cream and I (the dummy) eat it with a smile. He obviously is not a feather either. I made it thru the week. I love this diet.
gidgetonsweets is offline  
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2