Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Not the waitress fault, perhaps but she could have been more pleasant, her proper response should have been, 'No, that is no longer on the menu, but let me see what we can do to accomadate you ".
I would be writing a letter to the local newspaper.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #17  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh73 View Post
She was just following rules. How is it her fault the kitchen is out of items? It also is a health code violation in many areas to bring outside food into a restaurant.
I'm sure you weren't the most pleasant person after they were out of steak (not the waitresses fault)
Have any of you waited tables before?

If the manager approved your dressing HE should have told the wait staff.
I think the proper response from the waitress should have been "mam, we do not allow outside food or drinks", to which the reponse would have been "I already spoke to the manager about it and he said that was ok."

The waitress confiscating the dressing is uncalled for.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #18  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Um yes, I HAVE waited tables before. I'm fully aware of just what a thankless job it is. And I've had to tell tables that we're out of this that and the other thing. I've never been rude about it. Yes, the manager should have told the waitress that the dressing was okay, but other than that? Unless the place was balls busy, there's no reason that the kitchen couldn't have accommodated, especially if they were advertising an out of date menu.

A skilled server can make a reasonable guest happy even when the deck is stacked against them, and even an unreasonable guest can be kept calm.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #19  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll74 View Post
I think the proper response from the waitress should have been "mam, we do not allow outside food or drinks", to which the reponse would have been "I already spoke to the manager about it and he said that was ok."

The waitress confiscating the dressing is uncalled for.
ITA. Since the Manager had already agreed the use of her dressing was fine, I don't quite understand why there was even an issue with it. Unless the OP didn't make it clear enough that it had already been discussed with the Mgr and approved. All in all though, it certainly sounds like an unfortunate and negative eating expererience. I certainly wouldn't go back to repeat it.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I had brunch one time at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, There was a large party next to me and they kept making requests from the waitress, more water, more coffee can we have more butter that type of thing. One of the guests said to the waitress , sorry to keep bothering you, her reply, Maam, I'm here to be bothered. I would suspect that waitress does quite well with tips.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #21  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugh73 View Post
She was just following rules. How is it her fault the kitchen is out of items? It also is a health code violation in many areas to bring outside food into a restaurant.
I'm sure you weren't the most pleasant person after they were out of steak (not the waitresses fault)
Have any of you waited tables before?

If the manager approved your dressing HE should have told the wait staff.
Not only have I waited tables, I have managed waitstaff. Had a staff member of mine been that rude to a customer, regardless of the circumstances they would have been immediately removed from the floor. She could have been a raging lunatic, that still does not excuse a person in the customer service industry to be anything less than professional and courteous with her.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #22  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinie89 View Post
hello everyone - so today i had a work dinner function to which was nicely planned to a restaurant that is IP friendly - well upon arrival my order intention was to order the steak to be told my the rude waitress we no longer have steak, so i said i have salmon sorry we don't have that either they had chicken but it was all breaded so i asked for non breaded chicken and she said sorry mam we only have breaded chicken inless you order a chicken ceaser salad -- so i asked for a ceaser salad no dressing and said nope we cant do that either -- so i then asked to speak to the manager who was alot nicer and explained that they only do grilled chicken with ceaser salad but he would have the kitchen wip something up for me i also explained to him i would be using my own dressing in which he was ok with-- well the waitress brought the food and seen my dressings and took it and sorry mam no outside food or drinks allowed - i was shocked! my boss is very supportive of me and being on IP he had did research and thought this resturant would be ok well it was till they didnt have steak or salmon like the menu said.

i still couldn't belive she took my dressings from the table from me i was shocked even after i got manager approval!

sorry to rant but it just was a horrid experince its hard enough going out on IP this just didnt help =(
Took your dressing! Well she is lucky she didn't try that with me. She might have had a broken hand. She had no right to touch your property. I wouldn't have paid for the food either. Hope she didn't get a tip either.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #23  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinie89 View Post
hello everyone - so today i had a work dinner function to which was nicely planned to a restaurant that is IP friendly - well upon arrival my order intention was to order the steak to be told my the rude waitress we no longer have steak, so i said i have salmon sorry we don't have that either they had chicken but it was all breaded so i asked for non breaded chicken and she said sorry mam we only have breaded chicken inless you order a chicken ceaser salad -- so i asked for a ceaser salad no dressing and said nope we cant do that either -- so i then asked to speak to the manager who was alot nicer and explained that they only do grilled chicken with ceaser salad but he would have the kitchen wip something up for me i also explained to him i would be using my own dressing in which he was ok with-- well the waitress brought the food and seen my dressings and took it and sorry mam no outside food or drinks allowed - i was shocked! my boss is very supportive of me and being on IP he had did research and thought this resturant would be ok well it was till they didnt have steak or salmon like the menu said.

i still couldn't belive she took my dressings from the table from me i was shocked even after i got manager approval!

sorry to rant but it just was a horrid experince its hard enough going out on IP this just didnt help =(
Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
ITA. Since the Manager had already agreed the use of her dressing was fine, I don't quite understand why there was even an issue with it. Unless the OP didn't make it clear enough that it had already been discussed with the Mgr and approved. All in all though, it certainly sounds like an unfortunate and negative eating expererience. I certainly wouldn't go back to repeat it.
She stole from the OP. Very simple. You could decide to put Dirt on Your Salad. It is Your Salad.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #24  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Come on am I really the only one who would have gotten in her face if she tried to take something away from me. Seriously using your own dressing actually would save the place money!
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #25  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
Come on am I really the only one who would have gotten in her face if she tried to take something away from me. Seriously using your own dressing actually would save the place money!
I would have let her have it. What she did was completely inappropriate. I can't get over what some people think is acceptable behavior from a server!!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 299/289/150

What an awful situation you were put in but what I really respect is how well you advocated for yourself. You kept at it and you kept repeating what your needs were. With weight issues, we often look for the path of least resistance and drawing zero attention to ourselves and give in to obnoxious behaviours. You didn't, you continued to own your voice and advocate for what you needed. I am sure by the time it got to the dressing being taken away you were exhausted from the fight. Hindsight is 20 20 and my reaction is to feel angry with and for you - I would have wanted to claw her hand off. But, that is the learning for the next time because there will always be those who are a challenge in life. But, kudos to you for doing what you did for as long as you did. How you handle it now is up to you but so far you have done well. Those situations render the strongest of us speechless because it is just too bizarre to be plausible!
Salus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Be upset with the waitress for sure, she was out of line. Complain to the manager, owner etc... but if the manager tried to rectify the problem, I wouldn't bash the restaurant on a review site just because of her. Especially if this is a local business.
If the food, once brought, was good, there is no reason to GI after the whole establishment.
As for them being out if things, it happens, maybe a delivery didn't come in, who knows?
I would love to know if anything more came of it. GL.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #28  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
Be upset with the waitress for sure, she was out of line. Complain to the manager, owner etc... but if the manager tried to rectify the problem, I wouldn't bash the restaurant on a review site just because of her. Especially if this is a local business.
If the food, once brought, was good, there is no reason to GI after the whole establishment.
As for them being out if things, it happens, maybe a delivery didn't come in, who knows?
I would love to know if anything more came of it. GL.
I guess I'm not that charitable when it comes to things like this. Ultimately the manager is responsible for the behavior of his/her staff - and rectifying it as necessary, the availability of advertised menu items, and the flexibility of the policies and the ability of the chef to meet diners' needs.

First they were out of steak. Really? No steak at all available?
Then they were out of salmon?
Then they had grilled chicken but she could only get it if she ordered it on a salad.
Then she couldn't get a salad with dressing on the side.
Then the waitress took her personally provided salad dressing.

To me, the last item was the icing on the cake, and completely out of line. But the whole experience adds up to me as an experience I wouldn't want to risk happening to me at the same establishment. Some restaurants are more flexible than others when it comes to adapting to diners' needs - and those are the ones I try to steer my business to.
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I guess I'm not that charitable when it comes to things like this. Ultimately the manager is responsible for the behavior of his/her staff - and rectifying it as necessary, the availability of advertised menu items, and the flexibility of the policies and the ability of the chef to meet diners' needs.

First they were out of steak. Really? No steak at all available?
Then they were out of salmon?
Then they had grilled chicken but she could only get it if she ordered it on a salad.
Then she couldn't get a salad with dressing on the side.
Then the waitress took her personally provided salad dressing.

To me, the last item was the icing on the cake, and completely out of line. But the whole experience adds up to me as an experience I wouldn't want to risk happening to me at the same establishment. Some restaurants are more flexible than others when it comes to adapting to diners' needs - and those are the ones I try to steer my business to.
I totally understand that BB, but I guess I watch too much Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout. I am amazed some of those places bounce back after the reviews they get and the food is supposed to be good in those places.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:54 PM   #30  
Began IP 3-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleblower View Post
I would have let her have it. What she did was completely inappropriate. I can't get over what some people think is acceptable behavior from a server!!
Good glad I'm not the only one!