Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/226/155

Height: 5'3"

Default Vacation worries

I have been on IP a month now and doing really well. I have managed to stay 100% and not all of that time has been under the best of conditions. I am going to San Francisco and Napa Valley the middle of September. I don't plan to stay strictly on IP but not sure how I should handle it. I am open to suggestions. I am devoted to getting this weight off once and for all.
Lotsahope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #2  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Height: 5'1"

Just a thought: Why not consider staying 100% while on your vacation? It takes a bit of planning, but plenty of us have done it. I spent 2 weeks in NYC and then a week on the road.

It really feels great to come home after a vacation and have a great WI!

There will always be some special occasion or trip.

You've been on the program for a month already. Keep it up and you'll see great results! You CAN do this and get the weight off once and for all!
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsahope View Post
I have been on IP a month now and doing really well. I have managed to stay 100% and not all of that time has been under the best of conditions. I am going to San Francisco and Napa Valley the middle of September. I don't plan to stay strictly on IP but not sure how I should handle it. I am open to suggestions. I am devoted to getting this weight off once and for all.
I agree with joysh. I stayed 100% for two weeks and lost 4 lbs. you can eat out, plan ahead. Rainbowsmiles called all of the restaurants ahead to check their menus. Subway has great salads. It will be good practice for the rest of your life.
Delgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 288.9/194.0/125

Height: 5'1"

Default I agree with the rest... try hard to stay on plan

I can't imagine how hard it would be to go back on this after straying off plan. Find a Ruby Tuesdays and have salad bar and a "naked" chicken breast. At any restaurant that you go to ask for the steamed veggies, side salad without cheese or croutons, broiled seafood, chicken, pork chops, lean steak.... they are all great choices... just ask them to do it naked meaning no seasoning or sauces.... bring your own salt, oil and salad dressing in with you. I have a little pack of stuff that I bring... including my scale and measuring cup! I brought my blender to the hotel and and Spinach with me and made two chocolate drink mix packets with a dash of cinnamon and blended in 2 cups of spinach..half for breakfast and packed the other half for lunch so that I could site see and have my lunch right with me. With a little planning ahead you can stick to plan. YOU Are WORTH IT!
Reenie N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie N View Post
I can't imagine how hard it would be to go back on this after straying off plan. Find a Ruby Tuesdays and have salad bar and a "naked" chicken breast. At any restaurant that you go to ask for the steamed veggies, side salad without cheese or croutons, broiled seafood, chicken, pork chops, lean steak.... they are all great choices... just ask them to do it naked meaning no seasoning or sauces.... bring your own salt, oil and salad dressing in with you. I have a little pack of stuff that I bring... including my scale and measuring cup! I brought my blender to the hotel and and Spinach with me and made two chocolate drink mix packets with a dash of cinnamon and blended in 2 cups of spinach..half for breakfast and packed the other half for lunch so that I could site see and have my lunch right with me. With a little planning ahead you can stick to plan. YOU Are WORTH IT!
Excellent advice!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Years ago when I did WW my coach gave me some good advice when I told her my worries about a cruise I was taking to Alaska. She said I was going there to see the sights and spend time with family and friends. So, I took meals out of the equations and mentally focused on the beauty of the land and the people. I ate (of course) and lost two pounds (have to admit being sick at sea helped a bit).

With IP the key is being prepared! You can do it and enjoy your holiday!!!

Last edited by New Englander; 09-03-2012 at 10:51 AM.
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

IP friendly Applebees options:

-7oz steak, oil grilled (not butter grilled), with a double side of STEAMED spinach

- Shrimp & spinach salad, double shrimp, no dressing or bacon, drizzle with some EVOO and a squeeze of lemon wedge and salt!

There are PLENTY of ways to stay 100% and still treat yourself
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/156/150

Height: 5'7"

I just came back from vacation and stayed totally op. with a bit of planning it's completely manageable. I admit there were a few times when I didn't always get exactly what I had hoped for, but as long as you choose protein and veggies, even if it ends up being higher fat, you'll still come out ahead. My go to meal at a restaurant when I'm in a pinch is a Chef salad or a steak with veggies.

There is NO way I'm risking having to go through carb detox again, it was not a fun time for me and that totally keeps me from carbing out!
Prettyrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6 1/2"

I've been to Napa and SF a bunch of times, as well as Sonoma. You will have no problem eating OP out there, especially since their produce is so fresh and seasonal. The meat is also local out there in most cases. The problem for you will be the WINE...and staying away from it. Not sure how to handle that.
EPAPRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #10  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotsahope View Post
I, too, am going on a trip this Fri to do some whale watching and will be staying overnight at a B&B. My husband wants to treat this like a mini-break (he's going to eat the served brekkie) but I'm hesitant to go totally off the plan, especially since I'm actually losing weight now, compared to the minimal losses the first 3 weeks. However, I also don't want to disappoint my husband (I think he's bothered that he'll be eating all this rich food without me) so we talked about it and have reached a compromise. I'm going to try to contact the B&B and request a protein rich breakfast (instead of a high carb one), something like a meaty omelette. I'll also tell them to minimize the olive oil used and give my allowed seasonings. That way I won't totally go off the plan and my husband and I can still enjoy breakfast together.

Maybe you could check the restaurants in the area and do the same. Tell your friends/family, too, as it helps when people are actually helping you to stay OP. Your food intake may not be as strictly 100% but at least it won't set you back either. Besides, I don't think you'll completely enjoy the "cheats" if you know what they're costing you. I actually had to explain that to my husband during our talk about the breakfast.

When all's said and done, have a wonderful vacation!!!
aliceinseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

I too am going on vacation soon and am wondering....if it is totally impossible to have IP at lunch.... what would I order at a restaurant? Just lettuce and veggies? Not sure how I would survive without protein! I think that bkfst would be easy OP and supper would be OK at a restaurant. But if I have to eat at a restaurant two times a day...what do I do? Sorry about butting-in on your thread but I was hoping this may help your question and dilemma too!
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

I just got back from vacation and it didn't go as well as I had planned. I called restaurants and got incorrect info which threw my meals off. I did the best I could though, prime rub with salad and veggies, egg white omelette with veggies and little ham. I had my drinks because I brought a blender with me. I did stray a little and had a bit of bacon and a breakfast sausage, but I'm hoping that was canceled out because I did a lot of hiking and swimming in the mountains. People weren't as accepting to dietary restrictions as I was wishing!
AnnaBoBanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiggy58 View Post
I too am going on vacation soon and am wondering....if it is totally impossible to have IP at lunch.... what would I order at a restaurant? Just lettuce and veggies? Not sure how I would survive without protein! I think that bkfst would be easy OP and supper would be OK at a restaurant. But if I have to eat at a restaurant two times a day...what do I do? Sorry about butting-in on your thread but I was hoping this may help your question and dilemma too!
You can trade the dinner meal and lunch if that works better for you.

Last edited by Delgen; 09-03-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #14  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwiggy58 View Post
What might make it easier would be to plan having your restricted at lunch (bars, cheddar ridges, etc) - stuff that's easily portable - or use some of the Ready-to-drink stuff. For lunch, just plan on a salad, salad bar or veggie sides and have your restricted/RTD either before or after you leave the restaurant. I've done that many times since starting the diet. Dinner at a restaurant is just a matter of asking for the right preparation of dinner so that you get what you need

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaBoBanna View Post
I just got back from vacation and it didn't go as well as I had planned. I called restaurants and got incorrect info which threw my meals off. I did the best I could though, prime rub with salad and veggies, egg white omelette with veggies and little ham. I had my drinks because I brought a blender with me. I did stray a little and had a bit of bacon and a breakfast sausage, but I'm hoping that was canceled out because I did a lot of hiking and swimming in the mountains. People weren't as accepting to dietary restrictions as I was wishing!
I found that HOW you present what you need to your server can make all the difference. Two phrases have saved my butt - "gluten allergy" and "Dairy allergy" - it's not necessarily the truth BUT it's the terms most people will understand to help make sure we get the right foods/preparation when we eat out. Plus they are more likely to be accommodating if they think you're allergic as opposed to just dieting
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 258.4/163.6/168.4

Height: 5' 3"

I have traveled SO much on this diet - twice to a small town in Iowa - the first to visit my father-in-law, the second for his funeral - then to Florida - Pittsburgh, Philly - Detroit - SO MUCH and have been OP the whole time. If possible I get a hotel with a fridge and microwave - I have warm chocolate shake for breakfast or my evening snack, and a bar at lunch - I go to the store and buy veggies - but if you don't have a car - I order wherever I am for an extra side of veggies - for lunch I would get a salad and bring my own dressing - dinner varied - but usually a steak w/out butter or burger w/out a bun, or seafood - my fav! I always start by telling the waitstaff I am on a very restricted diet - sometimes they ask why and then I get to brag about my success It is SO worth it and so doable - and the cost of ordering a salad or extra veggies doesn't come close to the cost for going off program. I've also been to weddings and other celebrations - again, all OP - I never have been a drinker, so that does make it easier - Good luck.
drakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote