Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #61  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteinGal View Post
Thanks Eve for you review, not sure yet if I will go alternatives, kinda of scared but really like to save money too

I've been reading all about whey protein isolate and whey protein concentrate and most of the pros favour isolate. And I see Natural Factors has more concentrate, my mind is boggled with all this
Yes, I recall reading that too. There were benefits to the concentrate though as well, somehow because of the way it is processed.... it was somewhat technical and I can't begin to explain it to you. LOL. Anyway - it made me to decide to go with it. There are lots of options out there though.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Yes, I recall reading that too. There were benefits to the concentrate though as well, somehow because of the way it is processed.... it was somewhat technical and I can't begin to explain it to you. LOL. Anyway - it made me to decide to go with it. There are lots of options out there though.
Read both review sides, watched some Youtube videos and even did the formula of bottom protein gm number divided by top number serving size (scoop) to see how much actual protein you are getting per serving. One guy said not to waste your $ on anything lower than 20g of protein per serving which NF is. Soooo much confusion. lol

Last edited by ProteinGal; 05-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 180.6/161.4/130

Height: 5' 3"

I know there is a Alternatives thread but I thought I'd ask some Canadians - do you know where to buy some good alternatives? Most of the things listed cannot be bought in Ontario - or at least I haven't been able to locate them. Any suggestions?
Old 05-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #64  
Agir pour ne pas subir...

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama21 View Post
I know there is a Alternatives thread but I thought I'd ask some Canadians - do you know where to buy some good alternatives? Most of the things listed cannot be bought in Ontario - or at least I haven't been able to locate them. Any suggestions?
Hey mama!
I've been consulting with some nutritionists who highly recommend Progressive Harmonized Protein for Women http://www.progressivenutritional.co...for-women.html
It might be worth looking in health food stores in your area to see if they carry it, or something similar.

I agree that the learning process on protein supplements is daunting and personally not even CLOSE to understanding it >.<

Actually, I'm having a difficult time even understanding nutritional labels (albeit the research I've been doing)!! My qualm is whatever is listed under "Carbohydrates" - the breakdown is usually Fiber + Sugars.

To put this into context I'm looking at IP's Leek Soup Nutrition Facts for example:

Carbs 7g
  • Fibre 1 g
  • Sugars 4 g

If I was to use logic I'd assume that from the 7grams of carbs, 1g is from fiber, and 4g is from sugar.. which of course does not add up to 7grams..
I'll obviously have to address this to the nutritionists!

Old 05-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 139/120.2/118

Height: 5'6"

Actually, I'm having a difficult time even understanding nutritional labels (albeit the research I've been doing)!! My qualm is whatever is listed under "Carbohydrates" - the breakdown is usually Fiber + Sugars.
To put this into context I'm looking at IP's Leek Soup Nutrition Facts for example:
Carbs 7g
Fibre 1 g
Sugars 4 g
If I was to use logic I'd assume that from the 7grams of carbs, 1g is from fiber, and 4g is from sugar.. which of course does not add up to 7grams..
I'll obviously have to address this to the nutritionists!

Carbs on nutrition labels were always a mystery to me as well but I think I'm getting closer to understanding it...taking your example:

Total Carbs = 7g
Fiber = 1g
Sugar = 4g

There are 7g total carbs in Leek Soup; but not all carbs are the same, some are digestible and some are not, like fiber carbs are not, so those will be subtracted from the total to get the Net Carbs that are digestible which is 6g.

Diets like Atkins, also allow you to subtract suger alcohol carbs, because these usually don't spike your insulin levels either; I say 'usually' because everyone is different, and have different sensitivities to sugar even with stevia, splenda, or other sugar substitute, that can trick people very sensitive to sugar into thinking they ate real sugar. (This is one of the reasons we aren't allowed to have aspertame, becuase most people's bodies react to it the same as real sugar.) So my coach said to only subtract fiber carbs from the total to get the Net Carbs. These are the carbs you should keep an eye on.

Last edited by GoodEatsandWine; 05-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Default Alternatives

Quote:
Have you tried products from Dr. Bernstein? I buy my oatmeal, puddings and RTD vanilla drink from them.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #67  
On IP since 04/29/12

S/C/G: 228/187/135

Hi!
Regarding alternatives, I received my first order today from http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/

A wide selection of products that allows me to save money while following the protocol. Delivery was super fast and even though it cost me 35$ shipping + 30$ for custom...I get to save 60$ for a month's worth of the same quality products.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #68  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthmatters View Post
Good morning, all! Looking forward to a long weekend.
I tried "turkey italian sausage" from Walmart, Red Deer. They are very good.
The counts are good, so I think they fit very well. I did them in a
pan on top of the stove, but I think they would barbecque well.
I posted on the daily, but wanted to mention a book I have been
reading. I am not diabetic, but it is good for anyone to help us understand
the insuling/pancreas connection. "The Diabetes Miracle" by Diane Kress.
I hope to go to Stettler, Alberta tomorrow to visit Lou's ladies wear stores.
They are closing and so everything is greatly reduced. It's time for some smaller clothes.
Have a great day!!

That is funny you mention Lou's! I am trying to figure out if I can make the time to go to Camrose on Saturday to check out the deals at Lou's there. Now I will be jealous thinking that all the best deals are in Stettler. I don't have the time to go there for sure.
Good luck in your quest for great finds.

Pat
Old 05-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Well.ca is another great place for ordering in Canada, they have alternative protein products, as well free shipping in Canada, can't beat that

Evepet, they sell It's About Time protein whey isolate there, all natural and the gms look good
http://well.ca/products/about-time-1...ein_27973.html
They also have a like page at facebook.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #70  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProteinGal View Post
Well.ca is another great place for ordering in Canada, they have alternative protein products, as well free shipping in Canada, can't beat that

Evepet, they sell It's About Time protein whey isolate there, all natural and the gms look good
http://well.ca/products/about-time-1...ein_27973.html
They also have a like page at facebook.
Thx ProteinGal. I buy 'The Simply Bar' from well.ca as well. I'll check into the 'It's About Time' protein whey isolate product. Right now, I've got quite a bit of the Natural Factors Whey Factors product left (I bought two flavors.. and they are BIG containers - LOL). I prefer to use at least one of them up before I buy another - but I appreciate the suggestion and will definitely keep it in mind. I'll be on this protocol for months, so will be needing to restock at some point!!

P.S. - just checked your link - I like that it's sweetened with stevia. IMO that's a definite plus.

Last edited by evepet; 05-18-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #71  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Not sure if you've reviewed the earlier posts in this thread, but there is good info there that addresses your question.

I get a lot of my products online through:

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/cat....php?cPath=132

hot & cold cereals; protein bars; protein shake powders; soy beanits

http://www.proteinwell.ca/

Complete line of diet products - breakfast foods, soups, drinks, shakes, puddings, bars. Compare labels - many are very good alternate choices.

http://www.well.ca

I have bought 'The Simply Bar' from here. They also have other good protein bar and powder/shake products to consider.

Also my local Walmart carries Pure Protein bars and shakes which fit the IP protocol very well.

I just review products labels for various products I might want (hot and cold cereals, protein powders, RTD shakes and bars, soups, puddings, pancake mixes, etc., etc., against the nutritional database for similiar IP products and make the best 'match' possible.

Dr. Bernstein's is also a very good source for hot oatmeal, soup, and shake products that are quite comparable to IP. There are Dr. B's in most cities across Canada, and you can either purchase in person there or online. I've been using their soups quite a bit. If you prefer not to shop online, and have a local Dr. B's and Walmart you can probably find a very suitable alternate supply of oatmeal, soups, shakes and bars through just those two sources.

http://store.drbdiet.com/
Old 05-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 224.4/219.0/150

Height: 5 ft 4

I have boughten Dr B shakes many times, 8 cases at a time, with the shipping its still a lot cheaper then IP.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 179.6 on a quest to 140

Height: 5' 3''

Fort Mac here!
Just started TODAY!
Motivated by all of the successes on 3FC but totally confused with the product talk!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post

Dr. Bernstein's is also a very good source for hot oatmeal, soup, and shake products that are quite comparable to IP. There are Dr. B's in most cities across Canada, and you can either purchase in person there or online. I've been using their soups quite a bit. If you prefer not to shop online, and have a local Dr. B's and Walmart you can probably find a very suitable alternate supply of oatmeal, soups, shakes and bars through just those two sources.

http://store.drbdiet.com/

Dr B's is a good deal if you go into a clinic, they are happy to sell products to you and the price is right.

But if you order online the shipping is just the same as if you ordered from Nashua is the US. So not a good deal at all.
But their clinics are easy to find in most cities.

Pat
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #75  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBs Mom View Post
Fort Mac here!
Just started TODAY!
Motivated by all of the successes on 3FC but totally confused with the product talk!
I started at an IP clinic but soon went to alternatives because of the time it took me to get to the clinic.

All the talk is very confusing when you are just starting with alternatives.
I just went to the first post under the Daily thread. The first post every day has lots of links to various topics. Under that you will find a link for alternatives. When I switched I just looked at the nutritional info on alternative products and IP products. Then I selected the products which matched most closely to the IP numbers.
I started with the protidiet and protithin stuff at proteinwell.ca because it was easy to match up and proteinwell is easy to deal with.

Pat
Closed Thread