Old 05-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #1  
~Kelly~

S/C/G: 229.4/189.4/150

Height: 5'5

Default Cabbage

Can we have any type of cabbage? Like the regular green head of cabbage?
kmc1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yes, you sure can. I use a cup of angel hair (fine shred) along with a cup of chopped celery in my salad and treat that as my meal. Then I mix up something sweet and treat that as dessert.
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:28 AM   #3  
~Kelly~

S/C/G: 229.4/189.4/150

Height: 5'5

Thanks!
kmc1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #4  
Started IP Jan. 17, 2012

S/C/G: 191/149/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesHotWife View Post
Yes, you sure can. I use a cup of angel hair (fine shred) along with a cup of chopped celery in my salad and treat that as my meal. Then I mix up something sweet and treat that as dessert.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by mixing up sweet? I have been doing IP for months and I can't find that certain something that satisfies my sweet tooth. I keep looking as I still have16 more pounds which at my rate will be another month...

Thanks!
audgirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesHotWife View Post
I love the angel hair cabbage and use it often. I sautee it with my olive oil and red pepper flakes, I use it in the big mac bowl or in my salad. Love love love!
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/170/150

Height: 5'7"

Never heard of angel hair cabbage but I love cabbage! How is it packaged? Is it a head like regular green cabbage or is it bagged? Thanks!!! I am just starting round 2! I started in January, got to 30 lbs lost and phased off to take a little break. Was in maintenance for about 5 weeks which worked surprisingly well as I was able to keep my weight off within 3-5 lbs. Now I'm ready to lose that last 20!
m3foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3foster View Post
Never heard of angel hair cabbage but I love cabbage! How is it packaged? Is it a head like regular green cabbage or is it bagged? Thanks!!! I am just starting round 2! I started in January, got to 30 lbs lost and phased off to take a little break. Was in maintenance for about 5 weeks which worked surprisingly well as I was able to keep my weight off within 3-5 lbs. Now I'm ready to lose that last 20!
I get mine at Walmart. It is in a bag by the bagged lettuces and salads. That's great to hear that you were able to keep off the weight while in maintenance. I understand that it is normal to gain around 5 pounds after phasing off due to your glycogen stores rebuilding.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'7"

Wow that sounds great. I will try that. I like roasted cabbage -- roasted anything, actually (except onions! they'll have to wait!) But the idea of sauteeing angel hair cabbage with pepper flakes sets my mouth watering...
YankeeLady57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by audgirl78 View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by mixing up sweet? I have been doing IP for months and I can't find that certain something that satisfies my sweet tooth. I keep looking as I still have16 more pounds which at my rate will be another month...

Thanks!
I usually mix up a chocolate drink, however, before I add the packet to the water, I add 10 drops of liquid stevia (has fewer carbs than the powdered version)(DO NOT add the liquid stevia after the powder, nasty globs). I mix it in a mason jar with the mixing ball, then I let it sit (without removing the lid & without shaking it again) while I eat my salad. It kinda foams and becomes a mousse which I eat with a spoon. Then I drink the rest. Very cold water is a must. Love it this way! I also like the wildberry yogurt mixed a little thick in a bowl and eat it like a cold soup, again letting it sit while I have my salad.
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by audgirl78 View Post

Thanks!
Have you tried making the "baked apples" using zucchini? They are yummy.

IP “apples”

1 large zucchini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pinch salt
2 packets sweetener (like Truvia or Splenda)
1 tsp or more Apple Pie Spice (You can also make your own with recipe below)
1 tsp vanilla or 1 TB DaVinci/Torani Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup

for Tart:
Make IP Oatmeal according to directions (Can use a bit less water)

Directions:

1. Cut zucchini into circular disks, then cut in half to make apple slices
2. Toss togetherzucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.

Note: If you are concerned about using so much lemon juice, you can cut it to 2TB. It will still taste great, but won't have a "syrupy" texture. Just make sure not to dry out when baking.
3. Midway through cooking the zucchini, add in the spices, sweetener, and vanilla. I use more than 1 tsp of the spice because I like it strong.
4. If making just the apples, lightly spray a glass pie pan with cooking spray or "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" spray. Lay down the zucchini pies like a pie. Drizzle over the top any extra lemon juice.
5. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15-30 minutes until done. (taste at 15 min. Less time is crisp apple. More time is soft apple)

Note that the lemon juice can be quite strong. You can add a bit more sweetener to cut the sour. I use the Sugar-Free Vanilla syrup to raise the sweetness without the risk of too much of the sweetener packets. Also good with Sugar-Free Toasted Marshmallow.

If you are making the tart, make the IP Oatmeal according to directions (maybe use a bit less water) and spoon into the glass pie pan with non-stick spray. Layer "apples" on top. Bake according to directions.

The taste of the tart is quite good, but not quite what I expected and I dont like using a restricted product (oatmeal) for this when the regular baked apples by themselves are so good.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #11  
Agir pour ne pas subir...

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc1021 View Post
Can we have any type of cabbage? Like the regular green head of cabbage?
I was pretty excited for cabbage too - I've been using it all week in my salads for a crunchy texture BUT after my 1st WI yesterday, my coach gave me a revised Phase I instruction sheet (updated in March 2102) which says Green Cabbage is not allowed - only Red Cabbage, Pak Choi + Bok Choy

That said, according to Dr. Chanh's online book (which is stitched with inconsistencies on allowable foods and amounts) he states the following:

All very low-glycemic index vegetables, or almost all vegetables, are allowed on the protein diet:

Vegetables to Enjoy:
asparagus, Swiss chard, celery, chicory, Chinese cabbage, cucumber, zucchini, watercress, endive, spinach, fennel, lettuce, mache (lamb’s lettuce), sorrel, bell peppers, radishes.

Other vegetables contain slightly more carbohydrates, but are still allowed (some nutritionists disallow them; however, if you don’t
overdo it, these vegetables will not keep you from losing weight).

Vegetables to Enjoy in Moderation:
eggplant, broccoli,fresh button mushrooms, cabbage, sauerkraut,cauliflower, red cabbage, green beans, turnips,dandelion, leeks, soy sprouts, tomatoes.

Last edited by Ei8ht; 05-03-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Ei8ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #12  

Ugh. Also, I found out that not all Bell Peppers are allowed as previously stated.. and to add insult to injury, you can only consume Green Bell Peppers cooked!

The other colours can be consumed 'on occasion' and also COOKED-ONLY!!

balls.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ei8ht View Post
Ugh. Also, I found out that not all Bell Peppers are allowed as previously stated.. and to add insult to injury, you can only consume Green Bell Peppers cooked!

The other colours can be consumed 'on occasion' and also COOKED-ONLY!!

balls.
I didn't know that, I wonder why?
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #14  
Started IP 3/26/12

There were several posts in the recent past about the 'pepper situation'. ie can we eat all colours as unrestricted - or only green? The outcome was that it was reported as now being OK to eat all coloured peppers as unrestricted. I particularly noticed, because this topic has appeared before and I'd specifically stayed away from all but green peppers, but after seeing those posts have started included the red and yellow ones more consistently. Now I'm totally confused again about peppers.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #15  

Hi Evepet!
you and are IP twins! We're both from Ontario, same height and want to go down to the same weight! Love-it :]

I hear you on the confusion bit - I'm an innate researcher and can't stand inconsistencies lol
To be honest, my coach told me not to worry about all of that and to just be reasonable. Cabbage and Bell Peppers are one of the tastier vegetables in terms of sweetness and texture, in my opinion, and I'm not giving them up damnit!