Old 11-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 164/151/130

Height: 5'3

Default Soy

Could someone please tell me how much soy is in IP? Any specific products that contain more than others? I was having an allergy test done and it said I was allergic to soy and I thought all the products had soy in them? I really don't want to stop IP but I could start gaining weight if I continue using the soy. Thank you for anyone who responds.
brownbebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 296/289/180

Height: 5'9"

Sorry for not knowing the lingo...but what is IP? What I do know is that I have a mild allergy to soy as well, and it is a pain to find foods without it. If I want milk for my cereal, I either get skim (though getting more sensitive to that now) or rice milk (actually really good, but check out sugar content). Most energy bars are nearly made up of soy, so can't have them. And the list goes on.

You just have to read the ingredients list carefully. I know if I want something packaged, 98% of the time there will be some kind of soy in it (oil, flour, nuts, etc.) so I just try and find the brand (calculating price with it) that has the least soy in it (the soy is furthest down the ingredients list). Otherwise, you will have to do what people with severe nut or other food allergies have to do, carefully prepare you own meals with natural ingredients from scratch.

Me, I just have tried to minimize the soy, then accepted the breakouts and other minor reactions I have to it.

Last edited by cfan; 11-20-2011 at 03:32 AM.
cfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

I, too, discovered a food sensitivity to soy when I started IP. (That, coupled with a sensitivity to corn pretty much precludes eating any industry-prepared food.) When I started IP the butterscotch pudding and omelets were the best choices. But since then some packets have been reformulated and new ones introduced, and I haven't seen anyone take the time to create a new list of ingredients, or update the old one. Maybe a project for you and your coach? I now use as pure a form of whey protein isolate as I can find. Hope this helps a little.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #4  

Thank you for your responses. I had no idea so many things had soy in them. Here I have been munching away on IP (Ideal Protein) and not knowing why I was so gassy etc.. Sorry, TMI. I will have to search for the list of ingredients in IP. Thanks
Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/120/122

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbebe View Post
Thank you for your responses. I had no idea so many things had soy in them. Here I have been munching away on IP (Ideal Protein) and not knowing why I was so gassy etc.. Sorry, TMI. I will have to search for the list of ingredients in IP. Thanks
IP uses a soy protein isolate, which comes from the green part of the plant and is different than whole soy since it contains few, if any, phytosterols, which are the compounds that usually cause issues with allergies, thyroid malfunction, etc. Also, most legumes (beans, lentils, etc.) contain them as well, so you might want to be careful of consuming those when you get to Phase 4.

Last time I checked, which was recently, the IP foods with no soy were:
Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink
Chocolate Drink
Orange Drink
Pineapple Banana Drink
Pink Lemonade Drink
Raspberry Gelatin
White Cheddar Ridges
Sea Salt & Vinegar Ridges
Plain Omelet
Blueberry Pudding
Strawberry Pudding
Vanilla Pre-Made Drink
Chocolate Pre-Made Drink
Mango Pre-Made Smoothie

The only way to be 100% sure of what's in the IP products you're consuming is to look on the box, but your coach/doctor should have an ingredient list, as well as a paper called "Implications of Soy Protein in the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method." I have a thyroid issue that was kicked into overdrive by eating vegan (tons of soy-based foods) for 6 months before I went on IP, so I asked a lot of questions. I haven't had any problems with the foods that contain soy, and I haven't gained the weight back. And given the infinite variations from person to person, you definitely could be sensitive to an IP ingredient, but usually it's the veggies that cause the gassiness. It generally passes once your body adjusts. No pun intended.
Lilivonshtupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #6  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

I tried googleing for info for you, but none of the nutrition into sites gave amount of soy in each product. I'd talk with your coach as they should be able to give you that information.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilivonshtupp View Post
IP uses a soy protein isolate, which comes from the green part of the plant and is different than whole soy since it contains few, if any, phytosterols, which are the compounds that usually cause issues with allergies, thyroid malfunction, etc. Also, most legumes (beans, lentils, etc.) contain them as well, so you might want to be careful of consuming those when you get to Phase 4.

Last time I checked, which was recently, the IP foods with no soy were:
Blueberry, Cranberry & Pomegranate Drink
Chocolate Drink
Orange Drink
Pineapple Banana Drink
Pink Lemonade Drink
Raspberry Gelatin
White Cheddar Ridges
Sea Salt & Vinegar Ridges
Plain Omelet
Blueberry Pudding
Strawberry Pudding
Vanilla Pre-Made Drink
Chocolate Pre-Made Drink
Mango Pre-Made Smoothie

The only way to be 100% sure of what's in the IP products you're consuming is to look on the box, but your coach/doctor should have an ingredient list, as well as a paper called "Implications of Soy Protein in the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method." I have a thyroid issue that was kicked into overdrive by eating vegan (tons of soy-based foods) for 6 months before I went on IP, so I asked a lot of questions. I haven't had any problems with the foods that contain soy, and I haven't gained the weight back. And given the infinite variations from person to person, you definitely could be sensitive to an IP ingredient, but usually it's the veggies that cause the gassiness. It generally passes once your body adjusts. No pun intended.
Thank you very much for the great information. My Coach said "don't worry about it", so I was quite disappointed. Now I feel great because most of the puddings and drinks you have listed is what I buy. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbebe View Post
Could someone please tell me how much soy is in IP? Any specific products that contain more than others? I was having an allergy test done and it said I was allergic to soy and I thought all the products had soy in them? I really don't want to stop IP but I could start gaining weight if I continue using the soy. Thank you for anyone who responds.
Your coach should be able to give you the breakdown. I only have the cappuccino and chocolate drinks because I had allergic reactions to some of the other foods. They offered me a full refund to stop the program and I freaked because I don't want to gain the weight back. Fortunately, the two drinks are perfect for me and I really enjoy them!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote