Old 02-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #211  

Thank you!!! I will check out that website
ann5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #212  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
I can't answer all your questions but will try to give you some good info.

1. If you follow the Phase 1 sheet you don't need to figure out your carbs. Just eat your 3 packaged proteins per day, your 8oz of your own protein and 4 cups of the allowed veggies. (there is an alternative requirements guideline that amberjules came up with in order to purchase your own packaged proteins from a source other than an IP clinic. Follow these and you are golden. There is a lot of speculation as to how many carbs a person should have, you can google it and get a wealth of information and differing answers. Just stick to the P1 sheet)
2. N/A
3. I have never heard of ionic fizz. I simply followed the P1 sheet and took the supplements advised by IP. I started out with their supplements and was able to match up similar supplements from an outside source. You can find threads on this topic that will give a lot of good info. The iodized sea salt is in addition to the potassium citrate supplement.
4. You only pay attention to calories when selecting your packaged proteins. You do this by using the alternative requirements guidelines. When you buy from IP they already have done that for you. It takes a little more work on your side when you don't buy from IP, but there are many alternative products threads for ideas and sources to purchase on your own.
5. You can continue to have coffee or tea. IP protocol states to have an additional 8oz of water for every cup of coffee or tea with caffeine that you drink. If you google this topic online you will find disagreement on how much of a diuretic effect a few cups of coffee or tea really has. It however does not hurt to add a little extra water to your daily intake. From what others have reported, it is very helpful with your losses. I use coffee in my chocolate drink every single morning.
6. Ketosis is the state of fat burning. Being in ketosis helps to eliminate cravings as well. You will find a lot of information online about ketogenic diets. Start reading, reading, reading! The strips you can buy are not reliable, but if you follow protocol you will be in ketosis in no time. drd is right...you get a funny taste in your mouth and your breath may smell, as well as your urine and body odor. This will not last forever as your body becomes more efficient at burning fat.
7. Per the P1 sheet, if you have any drinks or anything extra they must be 0/0/0....which means 0 calories 0 fat 0 carbs. If the drinks you mention fall into that category they are ok. Remember, no aspartame either!
8. You can find new sheets in the stickies above. They changed the amount quite some time ago. So your friend has old sheets.

A couple of tips:

I attached the alternative guidelines for you. I hope it shows up below.

Check out the stickies at the top of the page in this forum.
Read the first post of the Daily Chat thread that Lisa starts each day. She has posted links to many sources or info and common questions, etc.

Good luck to you and your husband. It is wonderful you are doing this together. I lost 57 lbs in 5 1/2 months and my husband lost 60 lbs.

Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I looked through the alternative thread a lot last night and there was a lot of information but I couldn't find many brand names mentioned of alternative supplements. May I ask what you use for each of yours? Also, do you know if you can substitute eggs whites for a protein packet? And one more question.. we were also told to have 4 cups of lettuce per day in addition to the 4 cups of select veggies... is that accurate?

Thank you!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #213  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

Height: 5'7"

0 / 0 / 0 refers to 0 fat, 0 carbs and 0 sugars. You can have a few added calories. However, pretty much anything that is 0/0/0 will automatically have very few calories so the calories are not going to be a concern which is why they aren't part of the 0/0/0 requirement!!

Last edited by JLUS; 02-11-2014 at 08:45 AM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:21 PM   #214  
Started IP 5/13/13

S/C/G: 185/128/135

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann5555 View Post
Thank you so much! This was very helpful. I looked through the alternative thread a lot last night and there was a lot of information but I couldn't find many brand names mentioned of alternative supplements. May I ask what you use for each of yours? Also, do you know if you can substitute eggs whites for a protein packet? And one more question.. we were also told to have 4 cups of lettuce per day in addition to the 4 cups of select veggies... is that accurate?

Thank you!!!
oops..sorry i missed the egg whites question. I remember it being mentioned somewhere that you can add a couple of egg whites during the day without a problem. I will have a hard boiled egg with some sea salt with some dill pickles as a snack if I need the protein or get hungry or shaky. I just deduct a little from my 8ox of protein for dinner if I have a whole egg. This doesn't happen much anymore though. Also, 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg is equivalent to the omelet packet.

Side note: on the list of proteins 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites is equal to 8 oz of protein.

As to sources of packaged proteins, there are many!!!! I buy some local items such as EAS drinks, Detour low sugar bars, Pure Protein bars, Premier Protein Vanilla drinks (18g of protein) but they are hard to find. Most stores have an aisle now with protein items...use the guidelines and start reading labels. There are many items that will fit.

Also, I buy from a store called Complete Nutrition. They have a powdered drink called V-Core Vantage in Milk Chocolate, S'mores, Vanilla Bean, Orange Creamsicle, and Cookies n Cream. I make a frappe every single morning for breakfast. I found the recipe on this site:

1 scoop of milk chocolate powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of sea salt
6 to 8 oz water (I use coffee)
crushed ice

Mix in your magic bullet til smooth. Tastes like a milk shake. My hubby loves the Orange Creamsicle, of course not with coffee. The sea salt added is a good way to get your salt and also enhances the flavor for me.

I also buy from Nashua Nutrition. I buy Protidiet, Proti-Thin, HealthSmart and Weight Loss Systems brands. You can also order from dietdirect.com and netritition. I have heard there are many other sites, just look up something that sounds good to you and check the label according to the alternate guide. No aspartame...that is an easy one to miss!

Some of my favorites are the BBQ Soy Snack, Chile Lime Soy Snacks, many different bars and a couple of soups. I love the Protidiet Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal but only to make zucchini muffins. That recipe is also on this site somewhere. Lisa posted the following recipe:

1 egg white (i think the recipe says 2)
pinch salt
whisk egg whites til frothy but not peaked

add 1/2 tsp baking powder + any spices you want
add your packet of choice (I mostly use potato, maple-oatmeal, banana pudding, blueberry pudding - now blueberry whey powder)
add 1 c (from raw) lightly sauteed shredded zucchini

Bake in muffin tins 350 F for 15-20 min.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can PM me as well any time.

Last edited by dak1lls; 02-10-2014 at 05:24 PM.
dak1lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #215  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUS View Post
0 / 0 / p refers to 0 fat, 0 carbs and 0 sugars. You can have a few added calories. However, pretty much anything that is 0/0/0 will automatically have very few calories so the calories are not going to be a concern which is why they aren't part of the 0/0/0 requirement!!
thanks JLUS I always mess that one up.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #216  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak1lls View Post
oops..sorry i missed the egg whites question. I remember it being mentioned somewhere that you can add a couple of egg whites during the day without a problem. I will have a hard boiled egg with some sea salt with some dill pickles as a snack if I need the protein or get hungry or shaky. I just deduct a little from my 8ox of protein for dinner if I have a whole egg. This doesn't happen much anymore though. Also, 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg is equivalent to the omelet packet.

Side note: on the list of proteins 4 whole eggs and 2 egg whites is equal to 8 oz of protein.

As to sources of packaged proteins, there are many!!!! I buy some local items such as EAS drinks, Detour low sugar bars, Pure Protein bars, Premier Protein Vanilla drinks (18g of protein) but they are hard to find. Most stores have an aisle now with protein items...use the guidelines and start reading labels. There are many items that will fit.

Also, I buy from a store called Complete Nutrition. They have a powdered drink called V-Core Vantage in Milk Chocolate, S'mores, Vanilla Bean, Orange Creamsicle, and Cookies n Cream. I make a frappe every single morning for breakfast. I found the recipe on this site:

1 scoop of milk chocolate powder
dash of cinnamon
dash of sea salt
6 to 8 oz water (I use coffee)
crushed ice

Mix in your magic bullet til smooth. Tastes like a milk shake. My hubby loves the Orange Creamsicle, of course not with coffee. The sea salt added is a good way to get your salt and also enhances the flavor for me.

I also buy from Nashua Nutrition. I buy Protidiet, Proti-Thin, HealthSmart and Weight Loss Systems brands. You can also order from dietdirect.com and netritition. I have heard there are many other sites, just look up something that sounds good to you and check the label according to the alternate guide. No aspartame...that is an easy one to miss!

Some of my favorites are the BBQ Soy Snack, Chile Lime Soy Snacks, many different bars and a couple of soups. I love the Protidiet Maple Brown Sugar oatmeal but only to make zucchini muffins. That recipe is also on this site somewhere. Lisa posted the following recipe:

1 egg white (i think the recipe says 2)
pinch salt
whisk egg whites til frothy but not peaked

add 1/2 tsp baking powder + any spices you want
add your packet of choice (I mostly use potato, maple-oatmeal, banana pudding, blueberry pudding - now blueberry whey powder)
add 1 c (from raw) lightly sauteed shredded zucchini

Bake in muffin tins 350 F for 15-20 min.

Let me know if you have more questions. You can PM me as well any time.

Thank you, thank you!! This is very helpful! That frappe recipe sounds great i'm not sure how to pm so just one last question (i think!! lol)... what about brand names as far as the vitamins, fish oils, pro-biotics, potassium, and calcium??
Old 02-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #217  

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1961 View Post
1. - can't answer, I generally am in ketosis at under 50 carbs.
2. myfitnesspal.com is a great site for logging food and will give this information for you.
3.can't answer
4. carbs
5. I think both, although I only drink water, so someone else should answer. I think the rule is drink your water, and if you drink tea or coffee, drink equal amounts water in the day.
6. Ketosis is the process that burns bodyfat instead of glycogen. When you go lo-carb, you deplete the glycogen that your body normally burns for fuel. There is a transition stage the first week while your body switches in which you usually feel bad. I do not use the strips. I can tell from the taste in my mouth that I am in ketosis.
7. don't know.
8. I have 8 ounces, love my protein.
Thank you! On myfitnesspal.com, do you look at total carbs or the carbs minus fiber (net?)? I was told that you had to have 25 carbs a day and 4 cups of veggies... if I use net carb values from that website, 4 cups of veggies will be way under 25 carbs (and our EAS shakes are only 2 net)... So I guess I don't understand how to get the 25 carbs but only 4 cups of veggies per day..?? You said you usually are under 50 carbs... how many cups of veggies do you have a day?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #218  

S/C/G: 190/137.5/140

Height: 5-4

I always have a restricted packet, and those are higher in carbs. Some proteins such as eggs have carbs. I also have a great great big bowl of lettuce for lunch and dinner using romaine lettuce. Romaine lettuce is a freebie. You can have as much as you need. It helps fill you up and keeps you from getting constipated.

So my IP pudding had 7 carbs, and IP Chicken Ala King had 7 carbs. My veggies plus salad had 28 carbs. My snack was an IP brownie for 15 carbs. 57 total carbs. The fiber is pretty high in veggies so it will bring me down to that 25 mark. If I add eggs to help with my exercise, then the carbs will be higher.

I have gone on ketogenic diets before and know that I hit ketosis very easily with less carb reduction than other people. This is nice, but I am focusing on dumping the processed stuff.
drd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #219  

Ok... so when you say your veggies were 28 carbs, was that with only 4 cups? What my husband and I are doing right now is...

Breakfast- EAS shake (2 net carbs)

Lunch - EAS shake with 2 cups lettuce and 2 cups veggies (total carbs is usually around 10 but I think that is using total carbs for the veggies not net)

Dinner- protein with 2 cups lettuce and 2 cups veggies (total around 10 again- using total carbs I think)

Snack- EAS bar (4 net carbs)

The sheet I was given by my friend that has veggie carbs have really high numbers compared to myfitnesspal (even the total on the website, not net). For example, the sheet I was given and that we have been using for the first week states that 1/2 cup broccoli has 3.9, 1/2 cup cauliflower has 4.4, 6 asparagus spears has 3.8, 1/2 cup cucumber has 2.5.... these are all really high compared to the total carbs on myfitnesspal... so if I use the numbers on myfitnesspal, we would be wayy under 25 carbs

Last edited by ann5555; 02-10-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:18 PM   #220  
Started IP 5/13/13

ann, i was rushing through my answers the last couple of times, as I was checking in frome work, so alas, I missed the lettuce question. I see it has been answered but I wanted to add: regarding lettuce, it is unlimited. That goes for iceberg and romaine. So, you can have as much as you want. It is suggested for a couple of reasons; as a way to fill up when you are hungry and as a way to combat the big C, as it has a lot of water. There is some debate as to whether you really HAVE to have it, as is suggested on the P1 sheet. Many do not care for lettuce and fore go having it. I found it to be a nice snack and appreciated the sweet taste of iceberg lettuce.

As to the amount of carbs, perhaps there is someone with a nutritional background who can speak to the different veggies and their carb counts. This is all rather confusing though and most easily addressed by simply following the P1 sheet and eating 4 cups of veggies from the approved list and sticking to the occasional guidelines for those veggies. If you do this, you will not need to count your carbs or calories. If your losses begin to slow you can then take a look at finding lower carb veggie choices and packaged protein choices. If you follow the alt guidelines for both the unrestricted and the restricted protein packets you are going to be fine and will get into ketosis.

While everyone is different and reacts differently to carbs, some are extremely carb sensitive and select the lowest carb options for their packaged protein, it is really not necessary to count your carbs for everything you are eating. The one benefit to calculating your daily intakes is for future reference if you are trying to figure out what works best for you in maintenance. MFP (my fitness pal) can be helpful to that end.

Your daily meal example looks fine. I think you will enjoy a little more variety as time goes on, so you will want to take a look at ordering some other items that you can't purchase locally. That made a big difference for me! The simplest way to follow IP is to:

Have 3 packaged proteins daily (2 unrestricted and 1 restricted) use alt guidelines
Have 1 serving of lean protein daily (8 oz.) (Weighed raw)
Have 4 cups of select veggies per day (measured raw)
Drink a minimum of 64 oz of water daily
Use 1 - 2 tsp of oil per day (grapeseed or olive oil)
Use a minimum of 1/4 tsp of iodized sea salt with your meals (I get mine at breakfast as well in my shake since I don't like to salt my salad at lunch time)
Old 02-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #221  
Started IP 1/18/12

S/C/G: 186.5/127/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Thank you, thank you!! This is very helpful! That frappe recipe sounds great i'm not sure how to pm so just one last question (i think!! lol)... what about brand names as far as the vitamins, fish oils, pro-biotics, potassium, and calcium??
Everyone has their own vitamin preferences. I use One a Day Multi Petites, Natures Made Ultra Omega fish oil 1400mg, Natures Made calcium, magnesium and zinc w/ D3, for potassium I sprinkle NuSalt on my food per my coaches recommendation. I do not use a probiotic but do eat Bubbies pickles that have probiotics in them. They are available at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section.
Some my not agree with my choices but they work for me. Good Luck to you and your hubby. So nice you are doing it together. My hubby is thin and I think he's so over me following this program.
Hockeymom40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #222  
Started IP 5/13/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymom40 View Post
Everyone has their own vitamin preferences. I use One a Day Multi Petites, Natures Made Ultra Omega fish oil 1400mg, Natures Made calcium, magnesium and zinc w/ D3, for potassium I sprinkle NuSalt on my food per my coaches recommendation. I do not use a probiotic but do eat Bubbies pickles that have probiotics in them. They are available at Whole Foods in the refrigerated section.
Some my not agree with my choices but they work for me. Good Luck to you and your hubby. So nice you are doing it together. My hubby is thin and I think he's so over me following this program.
I seem to remember there are a few supplement threads with many suggestions. It is amazing to see all the different brands. I think it is just a matter of personal preference.

My friend just started a week ago and her BF is thin as well. He is very skeptical of IP but supportive right now. He loves to eat sweets so I think it will be challenging for her. One of the reasons I was able to stay OP is because my DH did IP with me. Thank goodness.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM   #223  
IP -9/15/13 @goal 1/18/14

S/C/G: 184.4/157 /137

Height: 5'4

Bump for Alternative Vitamins

I've just done this research - I looked at all the ingredients and when there was a difference, say in calcium, I looked up what the word after meant and determined what impact it had on the vitamin itself. I used http://www.luckyvitamin.com/
and here's the alternatives I came up with:
Bluebonnet Nutrition - Calcium Magnesium Softgels - 120 Softgels $15.96

Nutricology - Potassium Citrate - 120 Vegetarian Capsules $7.63

Good 'N Natural - Omega 3-6-9 Flax, Fish & Borage Oil with Evening Primrose Oil - 120 Softgels $8.97

Solaray - Spectro Woman Multi-Vita-Min - 120 Capsules $20.96
ecdcslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #224  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Ok... so when you say your veggies were 28 carbs, was that with only 4 cups? What my husband and I are doing right now is...
DAK1lls summed it up. I think IP may have raised the NET carbs to 30-40, at least I thought i heard that in the video.
Net carbs is what matters. I use myfitnesspal and subtract fiber from total carbs to get net carbs. When you track foods on MFP, try to make sure you know whether the listed carb count is net or total. For plain uncooked vegs, or ones that say generic, it's usually total. BTW, you can customize MFP to list fiber. My experience has been that if it doesn't say NET, it's giving you total, but best to cross-check if you are unsure. Good luck

Last edited by mars735; 02-12-2014 at 07:09 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #225  

Thanks everyone so much! It's been really helpful. How many milligrams of fish oils do we need because I've seen different strengths? And for the potassium, I can only find potassium gluconate.. is that completely different? And do we need calcium supplements in addition to the vitamins?

Fish oils, pro biotic, vitamins, potassium, and calcium? is that everything?