Old 01-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 182/178/145

Height: 5'8"

Question on Calcium - on the IDP diet you get 884 mgs thru supplements. But, I need 1200-1500 according to my doctor, as I am osteopenia. Any suggestions as what I can add? My coach is not very helpful.[/COLOR] Thanks!
Becky64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #122  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky64 View Post
Question on Calcium - on the IDP diet you get 884 mgs thru supplements. But, I need 1200-1500 according to my doctor, as I am osteopenia. Any suggestions as what I can add? My coach is not very helpful.[/COLOR] Thanks!
Hello,

There are two kind of calcium: calcium citrate and calcium carbonate, we take both while on IP, ask your doctor which one you need to adjust and add your pills accordingly.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #123  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
Here is an article that my coach gave to me about Diet Soda and why we should not have it OP....

WHY IS DIET SODA DISCOURAGED DURING IDEAL PROTEIN DIET?
Very interesting insights from the "Ideal Protein Nova Blog". There is a science behind why this diet works and the things you can do to take best advantage of it.

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT recommended on the diet. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid/base regulation. The protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other "protein type diets." Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain a lot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body's bicarbonate buffering system. This goes for diet soda's too, particularly the brown ones.

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. This protocol provides so many health benefits besides weight loss, it would be a shame to compromise some of the benefits by consuming these products. Also- remember, an extra cup of water for every coffee you drink!

So what CAN you drink? Drink unsweetened Herbal Tea. Add 2 bags to a large pitcher (1.5 liter) or container and seep for about 10 minutes. Use a funnel to pour into an empty 1.5 liter plastic soda bottle. I usually make 3-4 batches in one night of different flavours, so there is a wide variety of choice throughout the week. It also helps you crave drinking more.

‎1. "Aspartame" is the sweetener which Ideal Protein recommends cutting out from your other foods. The reason why is that your body can react to it like sugar, spiking your insulin. (at a certain amount.) So Crystal Light (made with nutri sweet) is not recommended. There is something in the US/Canada called MIO which you add to water which is recommended.
2. Cascade Ice wont work because there are fruit juices in it (Pear Juice concentrate).
‎3. Yes, you can add Stevia, Splenda, Truvia or other approved sweeteners to your tea. However, note that the sweeteners do have carbs in them and are not "free". Adding one packet (like a coffee sweetener size) to 1.5 liters of iced herbal tea is usually enough to sweeten it without worry. However, i drink the iced herbal teas with no sweetener and dont miss it.
‎4. Carbonation is not the problem... you can have sparkling water. However, some find that cutting out all carbonation helps with bloating/gas.

I just want to mention 2 things if I may. PURE stevia has no carbs. Stevia blends, of which there are many, contain Maltodextrin, derived from corn. That equals carbs. So watch it.

The other thing is a lot more subtle. I worry about re-using plastic containers because of the strong possibility, well certainty, that BPA, or bishphenol A, will leech out of them. All #7 bottles fit into this category. If you all don't know what I'm referring to, please Google BPA, OK?

Totally incidentally, this applies to plastic baby bottles, too. That scares the . . . . . . . out of me
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #124  

did i misunderstand? MIO is recommended? i was using it but i thought it had aspartame in it... just wondering. if yes that would be great news!
thanks!
emkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
did i misunderstand? MIO is recommended? i was using it but i thought it had aspartame in it... just wondering. if yes that would be great news!
thanks!
MIO is okay, it does not have aspartame in it, it has sucralose and acesulfame as sweeteners.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #126  

S/C/G: 255/182/150

Height: 5' 3"

Thank you great article on all diet drinks.
Ng951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #127  
nova*

Default more veggies please

Quote:
Originally Posted by twannab View Post
So if you eat more than the 2 cups - what happens? Veggies have almost nothing in them.
I was told I could eat as many listed veggie as I want? That they say 2 cups so that you at least get that many in a day??
novalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #128  
nova*

Talking note from dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by twannab View Post
So if you eat more than the 2 cups - what happens? Veggies have almost nothing in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitanewdiet View Post
I posted this in the newbie section but I think it will fit in here fine,
Thanks Carla

I am a newbie and have been on the site reading lots but when I went to my rep to start yesterday she said I couldn't due to an arrhythmia I have had for the past 2 years and am on medication for. But the whole reason I need IP is that the medication slows my heart rate to keep up with the missed beats and has messed with my metabolism. hense the weight gain. She says I just need to get a note signed by my dr if I can do this diet. I have pumped myself up for weeks reading up and have never read anything about heart troubles.

Sorry just so phyched to start and let down cuz I wont be able to get into my dr for weeks, and he will charge for the paperwork if it's faxed to him.

WHY???
Im a transplant patient and had to get the note. They were happy to give it to me. Being you HAVE to be so very careful to take the vitamins and minerals it important not to lose muscle ...your heart is a muscle and you have to follow this diet EXACTLY
novalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 218.7/218.7/150

Height: 5'6

Does anyone know where I can get MIO in Canada?
dgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #130  

Just read all 9 pages and on some of the pages were comments about fish oil giving you a fishy taste later in the day. A tip to prevent this you can freeze the fish oil capsules and take whenever or take it at night and you'll have the taste while you sleep.
luckygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #131  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirl View Post
We don't have it in Canada. I think maybe Crystle Lite is similar but not sure.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #132  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

In one of the FAQs it was said that spring mix should not count towards the lettuce, it should be counted as a vegetable. Why is that?

Also, does baby romaine have the same good nutrition as grown up romaine?
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #133  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have the Metro supermarkets where you live? I found MIO there last weekend. I'm in Ontario.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #134  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgirl View Post
I just found it last week in Canada at Save On Foods grocery store. I bet we'll start seeing it everywhere soon!
MrsChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #135  
Start date: 5/17/12

S/C/G: 188/172/135

Height: 5'6"

Default Starting IP today...so many questions.

Due to the phenomenal success of my honey on IP I have begun my journey today, he is at a 30 lb. weight loss in 6 weeks and the before and after pictures show just what IP does in such a short time...Can I just say WOW!

I am a mother of 4, all grown and on their own except my youngest. I realized that I actually weigh more now than when I was pregnant with my children. YIKES, when did that happen?!

Approximately 4 years ago I went through a divorce after being married for 18 years and that was quite a life changing event. Then 3 years ago I met the most amazing man and love him dearly. Our only problem is we spent a lot of our time eating out socially and sad to say it's added up to WEIGH more than we realized..haha.

So now I'm ready... ready to not cry when I try on clothes, ready to be able to breathe because my pants aren't digging into my waist, ready to be proud when I look in the mirror, and most of all to be strong and healthy. Today is the day that journey begins!!!

So for food questions...I am excited but there are a few things I couldn't seem to find on the boards any my coach's answer wasn't solid.

Can we have I Can't Believe it's Not Butter on veggies? What's the word on Sugar Free Jello? Is it true in the first part of Phase 1 the bars can slow your progress??

I don't want to fail, I have the worst time with my willpower and was hoping these few things would help me through the tough times

I have been reading these boards for days and I am so excited. You are all amazing and such an inspiration...now to just get through the next few days. I want to rock their socks off at first weigh in. My fiance lost 13 lbs over the course of a week and a half. Dr. says being a female I probably won't have the same success, why does that seem like a challenge now
star2nite is offline   Reply With Quote