Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #46  

S/C/G: h254/IP248/186/130 or size 4

Height: 5'5" size 12 mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung View Post
I am sick - this week has been rough for me, my PM visited me on saturday, sunday I was feeling like I was getting a cold, yesterday worse and today even worse that I'm coughing to the point getting close to throwing up whatever is in my stomach, my voice is almost gone, my PCP wants me to drink orange juice, he said I need vitamin C and the best is from Orange juice, I don't want to drink orange juice - Once I start drinking this I will no stop since I love orange - I was wondering if someone has got the cold while doing this diet and what helped you.
Thank you for your help and hae a nice day!
I had a very bad cold. I was able to get sugar free cough drops, sugar free cough syrup and I used a vitamin c tablets of ester C with bioflavanoids. There are debates about the usefulness of the bioflavanoids to help with the uptake of vitamin C. Many say yes it helps a few say No it doesn't. I figure if it can't hurt, I would sway toward the camp that says there might be more benefit. I know that ester C tends to have a slightly higher potency because it has a better shelf life. That is the only reason I went with it.

I used herb teas that are designed for colds and sore throat and breathing which I got at the health food store.

I made big pots of chicken soup. There were studies done that show chicken soup doesn't cure a cold but, it does help prevent the neutrophils from clumping as much and creating the added congested feeling. Neutrophils are made as part of our bodies white blood cell response and antibody response to illness. SO, chicken soup can make a cold feel better.

One of the abstracts for the many reports out there.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11035691
Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'3"

CarlaI posted this message in your progress photos today.

Carla,
I was just looking at your pictures and I just have to say, WOW!!!!!. How did you get your arms so slim and tone.? That is my biggest problem area. I know everyone is different but I really would like to do the same workout you do. You look fabulous!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 150.4/137.4/125

Height: 5' 3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules26 View Post
I am allowed to have restricted items very soon.

Im wondering if i should try and enjoy the restricted items in the morning as opposed to at night??

some are 15 carbs, so my thoughts are if I eat them in the morning I have all day to burn them off type thing.
This would be better then eating 15 carbs at night an hour before bed right???

What do you think???

My coach suggested that i eat the restricted first thing in the morning and then the whole day was spent burning them off. i think i made 6 mini choc muffins every other day. i had a hard time eating them all and it really didn't feel like i was dieting
Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #49  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
CarlaI posted this message in your progress photos today.

Carla,
I was just looking at your pictures and I just have to say, WOW!!!!!. How did you get your arms so slim and tone.? That is my biggest problem area. I know everyone is different but I really would like to do the same workout you do. You look fabulous!!!

I didn't do anything for my arms. I wish I could say otherwise. I started out with huge arms (17.25") and they are now 11.75". I just lost the weight. I had my blueberry pomegranate drink and jello about 4 times a week. I think it just shrunk down to my natural size.

I have been/was athletic in my past. I was a discus and shot put athlete in high school and a runner. I swam, cycled, roller skated/bladed, and skied. I was also really big into weight lifting and then yoga, starting in the early 90's, so, some of that muscle or tone may have been hiding under the fat.

If you wanted to, you could do light toning activities starting now. Doing a moderate weight exercise program with rest between sets wouldn't get your heart rate up. You don't need much to tone up your arms. ( light weight and lots of reps will not give you more muscle because it will not break down the muscle you have to grow it. it will work what you have only. Heavy weights, you can only do something 6 to 8x and then break will require a longer break and will tear your muscle down. That damaged tissue will fill with fluid as it repairs and it will require more protein to repair itself. You could do it but, it really is better to save until you are in phase 3 or 4 where your diet is more conducive to those activities. right now focus on keeping what you have and toning it.)

Use a chair, bench, or edge of a couch. Sit down, put your hands at your hips, then let yourself slide off the seat so you are supporting your weight with your arms and holding your body in a seated style/position. Slowly dip your body to the floor with your arms, you will be bending and pushing back up from the elbow and tricep ( your knees will follow but don't use your legs to push up). This will strengthen the tricep muscle and any lose skin.

If you have a 3, 5 or 7 pound weight you could use it but, a liter size bottle of water works too for this exercise.

pick up the bottle of water (upside down might be best). take your arm and place it over your head and behind your back so that your elbow is facing the ceiling and you thumb is too the floor then PUSH the arm up from a 90 degree angle like you want to bring your arm so it is raised above you head wanting to ask a question. Repeat. It also works the tricep.

Search you tube for exercise examples. Look for tricep, bicep, shoulder cap. BE VERY careful with anything to do rotator cuff muscles. It only takes the tiniest weight and smallest moves to work that or it can easily be damaged.

I like arm exercises because you can do them while watching tv or a movie or listening to music.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 12-07-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 180/180/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, Carla!
I will try the light weights. Im doing Pilates and walking so hopefully the weights will help toning the loose skin.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #51  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgirlaz View Post
I had a very bad cold. I was able to get sugar free cough drops, sugar free cough syrup and I used a vitamin c tablets of ester C with bioflavanoids. There are debates about the usefulness of the bioflavanoids to help with the uptake of vitamin C. Many say yes it helps a few say No it doesn't. I figure if it can't hurt, I would sway toward the camp that says there might be more benefit. I know that ester C tends to have a slightly higher potency because it has a better shelf life. That is the only reason I went with it.

I used herb teas that are designed for colds and sore throat and breathing which I got at the health food store.

I made big pots of chicken soup. There were studies done that show chicken soup doesn't cure a cold but, it does help prevent the neutrophils from clumping as much and creating the added congested feeling. Neutrophils are made as part of our bodies white blood cell response and antibody response to illness. SO, chicken soup can make a cold feel better.

One of the abstracts for the many reports out there.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11035691
Carla, thanks for the great information, I am heading the store again, I got cough drops but it's not sugar free - I have a question though how did you make the chicken soup? or is it the chicken soup pckg from the IP program - thanks about the vitamin C info.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 349/278.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in to say "Hi!" Have been very busy lately, so no time to read the boards for the last week or two.

I'm doing well. I'm below 300 now, and -53 lbs. Yippee!!

I had a week or so where things were static due to excessive consumption of protein bars. I realized I was compensating for feeling disgruntled about the change in the chocolate pudding which had been one of my primary staples--consumed as a shake almost every day and sometimes twice. I was feeling put-out because I wasn't enjoying my old reliable anymore, and was having to think of alternatives. Basically, I was pouting!: Eating extra bars was the old behaviour equivalent of sticking out my lower lip and stamping my little foot!

Funny the effect such a realization has. I had a mini-binge that day (4 bars), 'cause "no one's going to tell ME what to do!" (clearly tantrum continued), and then I just stopped overdoing it. I thought about my options for staying on protocol, because I DON'T want to do what I used to do that got me in this pickle in the first place!--ahh, learning at last!!

I figured I had two choices: to find a new "old reliable" package or alternative combination, or adapt to the new formulation. What had got me in trouble, partly, was having to devise alternatives, allowing my old mind games to get into action. I was winding up feeling dissatisfied even though I was eating more, therefore the simpler the solution the better. So, I decided to get used to the new pudding/shake--basically, just "suck it up" (pun intended ). So now I'm used to it. It's still not as good as the old version, but it does the job and I'm back on track, and I'm under 300 lbs and it's not stopping there! Basically, I'm in a good place.

love to all,
Jackie

PS: Have been mining my "small clothes" boxes--now wearing size 24 non-stretch Cotton Ginny jeans from 10 years back, and they just slid on nice and comfy as you please. WooHoo!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #53  

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung View Post
Carla, thanks for the great information, I am heading the store again, I got cough drops but it's not sugar free - I have a question though how did you make the chicken soup? or is it the chicken soup pckg from the IP program - thanks about the vitamin C info.
There really is no special thing to my soup. I use either chicken (whole or cut up) which I boil or, a store bought deboned rotisserie chicken added to water & 4 cups low sodium, low carb stock. I add garlic, onion or leek, mushroom, celery, turnip or rutabaga, parsley, sage, poultry seasoning or bouquet garni and, a bit of lemon juice at the end. I have also done it without the poultry seasoning & sage & used some fresh ginger instead.

Last edited by showgirlaz; 12-07-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: on my mobile phone & left something out
Old 12-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #54  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Hi Everyone,

Just popping in to say "Hi!" Have been very busy lately, so no time to read the boards for the last week or two.

I had a week or so where things were static due to excessive consumption of protein bars. I realized I was compensating for feeling disgruntled about the change in the chocolate pudding which had been one of my primary staples--consumed as a shake almost every day and sometimes twice. I was feeling put-out because I wasn't enjoying my old reliable anymore, and was having to think of alternatives. Basically, I was pouting!: Eating extra bars was the old behaviour equivalent of sticking out my lower lip and stamping my little foot!

Funny the effect such a realization has. I had a mini-binge that day (4 bars), 'cause "no one's going to tell ME what to do!" (clearly tantrum continued), and then I just stopped overdoing it. I thought about my options for staying on protocol, because I DON'T want to do what I used to do that got me in this pickle in the first place!--ahh, learning at last!!

I figured I had two choices: to find a new "old reliable" package or alternative combination, or adapt to the new formulation. What had got me in trouble, partly, was having to devise alternatives, allowing my old mind games to get into action. I was winding up feeling dissatisfied even though I was eating more, therefore the simpler the solution the better. So, I decided to get used to the new pudding/shake--basically, just "suck it up" (pun intended ). So now I'm used to it. It's still not as good as the old version, but it does the job and I'm back on track, and I'm under 300 lbs and it's not stopping there! Basically, I'm in a good place.

love to all,
Jackie

PS: Have been mining my "small clothes" boxes--now wearing size 24 non-stretch Cotton Ginny jeans from 10 years back, and they just slid on nice and comfy as you please. WooHoo!
Good to hear from you Jackie. I was thinking about you the other day. I'm not around here as much myself because I started to phase off and make myself learn how to make food choices that would last me a lifetime.

I'm glad you were able to realize what you were doing and get back on track despite an obstacle. I know for me, being able to change my behavior that was unhealthy was a huge part of why I think IP worked for me. You are right, some times we just have to suck it up and drink the pudding because the end result is better than the temporary displeasure.

Keep up the good work!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:19 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 187/157/160-revised to 150

Height: 66"

..Weigh-in #2 today..lost 4 lbs !! That makes 12 in the 1st 2 wks !! I am thrilled and my work pants fit better allready !!

Co-workers and friends have been asking..WHY start a diet b4 the holidays?!! Here is the method to my madness....I am having surgery next Wed, the 15th...I will be home ,out of work for 4-6 wks...It was a MUST that I have a healthy eating plan in place, and be motivated by some weight loss so I did not gain while I am home......Although I should only be in hospital one overnight ,I am freaking about the hospital meal ...my daughters brilliant idea..bring a few of the ready made shakes and ask for just VEGGIES for my dinner !! I will weigh-in early the day prior to surgery as I can't eat after 6pm that day....I am aware that just the IV fluids may 'bloat' me ...but I will deal with that ...it is what it is....

Hope u all are having a great week....a healthier YOU will be ringing in 2011 !!!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:20 PM   #56  
Started IP 11/16/2010

S/C/G: 223/181/125

Height: 5'2"

Countdown to my 3rd WI today...I tell you, it's been so exciting being on this IP program. I am still shocked on how easy it has been. I know that it will get those hard days but, so far so good. Wish me LUCK!

1 for each 5 pounds...
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #57  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Carla I tried your g'mas recipe - delish!!! I used 1/2 C WF Ketchup instead of the BBQ sauce & I added a pack of the salt & vinigar crips crushed up to see if it would hold it together better (And I dont care for them plain and needed to use them up) - It didnt (lol) but it sure tasted good! It almost tasted like sheperds pie without the potatoe!!! (which I have also been craving!) mmmmmm.....will be added to the rotation for sure!! Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:30 PM   #58  
SoonToBeTheThinGirl

S/C/G: 291.8/208/135 be4IP(start1/10)

Height: 208/182.8/135 IP (start 10/15/10), height: 5'4.25"

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to stop in for a quick hello. I usually don't get to read the threads until nighttime, and by then there have been so many posts, it's hard to reply back to each of them. So, I usually don't reply back to them because I don't want to be unfair and not reply back to all of them because I would feel bad! However, I still want to stay apart of this wonderful community, and wanted you all to know that I usually get to read most posts (in the daily thread) and my thoughts are with you when something is going wrong (and when things are going well!). Take care!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #59  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatlocalgirlnomore View Post
Countdown to my 3rd WI today...I tell you, it's been so exciting being on this IP program. I am still shocked on how easy it has been. I know that it will get those hard days but, so far so good. Wish me LUCK!
Very, very best of luck (or, more likely, good results for adhering to the plan.)
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #60  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline View Post
Congratulations on the hard work (and hard thinking). Isn't it funny that the smarter you are the easier it is to find ways to rationalize.

Last edited by Linden; 12-07-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Closed Thread