Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #46  
Sandy

S/C/G: 188/154/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losinlish View Post
I'm new to this site, and I've seen IP a couple times. Even though I've tried, or at least read about every diet known to mankind, I cannot figure out what IP stands for in terms of weight loss.
TIA for any info!
IP stands for Ideal Protein
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #47  
Countdown To Amy

S/C/G: 186 / 204 / 145

Height: 5' 6"

Hey there...thank goodness for the IP diet. I love it. I am finding my sanity at last and learning a lot about my stress, eating habits, lifestyle... I'm just moments away from Phase II (lost 34 pounds...started July 22...wanting to lose 5 more pounds) but I am not in ketosis. I'm on week 2 of not eating out and but still not getting into ketosis. It's exhausting...but I'm hanging in there. This week the only things left in my menu that might be causing me to not get into ketosis are edamame and stevia. Does anyone know if these are problematic? Stevia and edamame are on the list but are they a bad thing? My doctor is mystified...my check-in is tomorrow and I just wish I could figure out what else to not eat so this would go easier. Any ideas?
Old 11-09-2010, 02:37 PM   #48  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Hello Everyone!

Congrats Leigh! My advice is don't sit infront of the TV and eat a bag of chocolate covered almonds a day for 9 months....thats why I'm HERE!!!! hehe.

Well, my first WI is tomorrow, getting pretty excited. I know its only been a week, but I "feel" skinnier!

I am suprised more and more everyday how easy this diet is to stick to!! I dont even really crave the "bad foods" anymore. My challenge this week is that my husband is working shift work - he works 3 12 hour days, then 2 12 hour nights, needless to say - he requires alot of food to take to work. He is a big fan of the "Cooking with Campbells" (Soup) recipes, which were also my favorite...I am making the first batch this afternoon...wish me luck!

Congrats on the great weekend you bunch of losers!! hehe!!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #49  
Re-Start 8/6/2012

S/C/G: 202/152/155

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyniagara View Post
Hey there...thank goodness for the IP diet. I love it. I am finding my sanity at last and learning a lot about my stress, eating habits, lifestyle... I'm just moments away from Phase II (lost 34 pounds...started July 22...wanting to lose 5 more pounds) but I am not in ketosis. I'm on week 2 of not eating out and but still not getting into ketosis. It's exhausting...but I'm hanging in there. This week the only things left in my menu that might be causing me to not get into ketosis are edamame and stevia. Does anyone know if these are problematic? Stevia and edamame are on the list but are they a bad thing? My doctor is mystified...my check-in is tomorrow and I just wish I could figure out what else to not eat so this would go easier. Any ideas?
Sorry - I'm such a noob . What is ketosis?? and am I supposed to be looking to get into it?? My coach never said anything about this. I could google it I guess - but you guys are the experts on everything else! hehe!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM   #50  
Sandy

S/C/G: 188/154/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbrandt View Post
Hi SJ! The recipes you mentioned (turnips, crackers and spanish rice) sound good!! Can you share - I have been searching threads and cannot find them. Help.

I also joined in Oct and love to cook to spice up products. Thanks!
I'm not sure where I found it, but if you search on this forum for "ideal protein recipes", there are a LOT of recipes using cauliflower. I used my food processor to turn the cauliflower into "rice", sauteed that in a little bit of EVOO, added whatever spice you like, I used dried onions (reconstituted in water) and then baked in the oven for a little bit just to crisp it up.

Another web site with some good recipes is http://www.hchc.org/page.aspx?id=537

I'll look at my recipes when I get home to see where I got that one from.

Last edited by SJackson; 11-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #51  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

S/C/G: 160/123/125

Height: 5'3 Size 4!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sheshie View Post
Good morning, sister IPers!.. a lovely day here in west Texas, slightly warmer than normal, I'm going to enjoy it because that's all gonna change in a couple of days... winter-like temperatures are on their way... brrr..

Congrats, Leigh!.. I'm really excited for you!..

I thought some of you might be interested in this article from Yahoo Health... just another reason we're doing our bodies good with IP...

hugs

WOW, good post, Aunt Sheshie! Inflammation can cause all sorts of health problems to a body! Arthritis and fibromyalgia run in my family and this is another reason I chose this diet. My doctor is very happy with my weight loss! Thanks for posting that article, A.S.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
Sorry - I'm such a noob . What is ketosis?? and am I supposed to be looking to get into it?? My coach never said anything about this. I could google it I guess - but you guys are the experts on everything else! hehe!
Lesley, you can read all there is to know about ketosis in Dr. Tran Tien's book, which is linked in the first post of every daily chat thread... lots of other good info there too, so it's worth the read... & yes, ketosis is the goal & if you follow IP protocol, you will get there... you probably already have...

hugs
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #53  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesley View Post
I hope I can explain this correctly. Ketosis is the process which your body goes through when you are burning your stored fat cells for energy. When you eat less carbs, sugars and fats, your body starts to burn the fat it has stored. That is when you lose your weight. As long as you are eating the right amount of protein (and watching your exercising), you will not lose muscle.

I'm sure someone who knows more can explain it better. But, good luck on your journey!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM   #54  
Skinny girl in training

S/C/G: H 336 Start IP 292/236/170

Height: 5'10

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyniagara View Post
How much stevia are you using? There are carbs in Stevia so that may be the culprit if you are using it a lot. If you can post a sample of what you eat during the day we can take a look to see if there might be another reason. I always add a hard boiled egg to my menu if I need to bump back into ketosis.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #55  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

I have a question for anyone who has made the IP brownies using the IP chocolate pudding. Have you tried it with the new chocolate pudding? Since I bought a box of the new stuff (yuk!) I was wondering if I can use up most of the pudding this way. I realize it makes 6 servings, but I'm thinking ahead to the holidays. I might use this instead of pumpkin pie for my turkey day!!

Thanks everyone and have a great rest of the day!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #56  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyM View Post
WOW, good post, Aunt Sheshie! Inflammation can cause all sorts of health problems to a body! Arthritis and fibromyalgia run in my family and this is another reason I chose this diet. My doctor is very happy with my weight loss! Thanks for posting that article, A.S.
You're right, there are so many health problems associated with inflammation... at my age, I'm super-concerned about the link between inflammation & heart disease...

Quote:
from Heart & Vascular Institute:

Role of inflammation -
Growing proof inflammation is a major risk factor for heart disease

A recent Associated Press story by Daniel Q. Haney has lead to numerous stories in the news and press concerning the importance of inflammation in the role of coronary artery disease development and progression.

Inflammation (triggered by environmental factors or genetic influences) causes a sequence of actions in the coronary artery such as, plaque rupture, thrombus formation and embolization into the blood vessels within the heart - placing one at increased risk for heart attack.

Dr. Paul Ridker, a cardiologist at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital has conducted several studies over the past few years, suggesting the importance of inflammation in triggering heart attacks. This may explain why those with a normal cholesterol level may still have a heart attack.
hugs
Old 11-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Default restricted carbs

So yesterday at my check in I got two conflicting statements from my clinic and I thought I'd throw it out to this group. I'm into my 7th week and unsure about how often I can have a restricted bar or ridges. When I first asked I thought he said once a day but then when I was leaving the meeting he said no more than 2X in one week. What's the general rule and then have people who have been on IP for a significant time period see they have better weight loss if they do stick to only 2X a day.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 187/168.6/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by jency View Post
How much stevia are you using? There are carbs in Stevia so that may be the culprit if you are using it a lot. If you can post a sample of what you eat during the day we can take a look to see if there might be another reason. I always add a hard boiled egg to my menu if I need to bump back into ketosis.
Jency
I was thinking about adding an egg to my breakfast routine or an egg beater because I find just having an IP drink at 9am I am famished by lunch time. Has this been helpful to you in keeping in ketosis and reducing hunger. Lettuce just doesn't seem to help.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #59  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

That's interesting, Aunt Sheshie. Good luck with your IP program, I'm sure it will do your body wonders. And from what I have read on the exercise thread it doesn't sound like you're just sitting around being inactive!! You go, A.S.!!!

I looked into an anti inflammatory diet months ago, but what information I found seemed so vague. It seemed to me like it was just a bunch of people trying to figure things out on their own! I am grateful that I have found IP with the many health benefits. I have referred a few of my friends who have health issues, like diabetes, but so far, no one has decided to try it.

Thanks again for the helpful info.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #60  
Started IP Sept 20, 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcjohn View Post
So yesterday at my check in I got two conflicting statements from my clinic and I thought I'd throw it out to this group. I'm into my 7th week and unsure about how often I can have a restricted bar or ridges. When I first asked I thought he said once a day but then when I was leaving the meeting he said no more than 2X in one week. What's the general rule and then have people who have been on IP for a significant time period see they have better weight loss if they do stick to only 2X a day.
Hi kcjohn, I have been on IP since the end of September and I am still not allowed any restricted items by my coach. I was told no in phase I. I have read that a lot of people use them in phase I here on the blog. So, not sure if that helped or not, but good luck!
Closed Thread