Old 06-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #16  
Dave - The Speedo King

The mention of broccoli slaw reminded me of something I've been doing lately. I got an inexpensive mandoline slicer from Amazon a couple of months ago. I've found that when I steam broccoli, I pretty much just cut up the crowns and not a lot of the stalk, which leaves a fair amount of waste. I'd been trying to slice up the stalk for stir frys and soups, but discovered that running the stalks through the mandoline gives me perfect slaw strips. These work great in salad, soup, omelets, just about everywhere, and they're practically identical to what you'd find in the bagged slaw, minus the carrots. A great way to cut down on the waste for me.
salesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 193/168/150

Height: 5'8

Right on! Good tip Dave!.I always mean to save the leftover stalks for soups,or something, but it doesn't always happen. I will have to post a receipe I found for cole slaw that is IP appropriate!Looks great.Aloha
MissZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 186/150/130

Height: 5'3" 1/2

Default I'm a Newbie

I'm a newbie to this site. Not really sure how to negotiate around yet...threads, etc...I will figure it out.

I haven't started the IP Diet YET. I've been doing some research on it to make sure it's something my husband and I can do. We have two active boys (13 and 11) and we are on the go a lot. If I can talk my husband into spending the money to do the program I plan to start in January when things have slowed down and we can give our full attention to the plan.

After seeing some old acquaintances a couple of months ago, who had lost a lot of weight, I was curious about how they did it. Through a mutual friend she told me it was the Ideal Protein Diet. She said it was very strict. They had been on the program for four months and she lost almost 40 lbs and he was at 60 lbs. I like the idea of instant results.

Where I live the only place to get on the diet is through a Chriropractor. Is this true for everyone else? Can I do this on line? Is it better to meet with a "coach" to stay on the plan? Do you have to buy a lot of stuff from the "coach" to be on the diet?

Even though I'm not on the diet yet I plan to continue to read your posts so I'm ready to go in January.
CarrieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 193/168/150

Height: 5'8

Aloha,

Well, had 2nd WI and I am down 3lbs, and 3 inches. I am really enjoying IP I must say. I am looking like I am losing and can start to wear older clothes I haven't worn in awhile, but that darn scale...I wanted a bigger number! But , I am on course and nothing will derail me!!

OOOPPSSS! I need to call consultant to get reciepe for rice pudding!!I did make some and when very cold,lots of truvia & cinnamon, and cooked through it is pretty good, but I am hoping it would be better with reciepe than me wingin' it!
I have been also doing the Callanetics (10 hr 10 yrs younger)I am loving it with IP, seems to be helping the mommy poochie! I had a c_section (3x's)and it seems to be helping now I can finally really do the whole routine!

I am hoping to get to my goal by Nov to go on vacation back to Maui,Hi where we used to live.Also may renew vows with my husband after 17 yrs, in Aug. Would like to be 20lbs down....Anyway, thanks for all the info & great advice that is here!xoxoAloha
MissZelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissZelda View Post
OOOPPSSS! I need to call consultant to get reciepe for rice pudding!!I did make some and when very cold,lots of truvia & cinnamon, and cooked through it is pretty good, but I am hoping it would be better with reciepe than me wingin' it!
Yes please! I'm too afraid to just wing it...might turn me right off making it and I LOVE rice pudding!
Congrats on your WI and keep up the good work!
Sweetstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:13 AM   #21  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesgod View Post
I pretty much just cut up the crowns and not a lot of the stalk,
Umm. I don't quite know how to put this, but the stalks are my favorite part of broccoli. And they are virtually the same nutrient content as the flowering heads. Honestly. Check it out. http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...bin/measure.pl

BUT you have to cut about 1/4" off the bottom, then peel them. Catch a very thin edge of the outer dark green cut part and pull up toward the head. Keep repeating until you get the whole way around. Then cut the stalks into 1/2" coins, or just cook them with the heads. Kids who won't eat broccoli, even if you call it "little trees," seem to love the coins.

Last edited by Linden; 07-03-2010 at 05:15 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #22  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieA View Post

Even though I'm not on the diet yet I plan to continue to read your posts so I'm ready to go in January.

This site has been going for a while and the longer it goes the more likely it may rely on a sort of "corporate knowledge" that people have gained as they move along. A kind of IP shorthand?

I'd suggest, because it worked for me (and convinced me), that you start at the beginning and read forward chronologically. You get a lot of wisdom, as well as knowledge, and buckets of encouragement.

I'd also suggest you start now. What better time than the summer, when you're active and trying to keep up with active kids?

Last edited by Linden; 07-03-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote