Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #226  
Progress, not Perfection!

S/C/G: 238/199/170

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up Im a one now!

This week, a milestone was reached. My weight starts with a 1 for the first time in probably 25 years. I lost 41 pounds on this program, since Labor Day. What makes it more amazing is that I lost 50 prior to that on my own. My biggest concern has been pre- diabetes. My glucose at last check is still mildly abnormal, but improved. What really improved has been my cholesterol and blood pressure.
Regarding exercise, I am starting it now that I am concerned about wiggly jiggly skin. Exercise was partly how I lost weight prior to IP. I had been doing group training for probably a year, so really missed it at first when starting this program. A month ago, I ran/walked a 5 K which was my third one but really the most exercise I had done recently. I was warned by my coach not to, but did fine. When torchlaker mentioned the loose skin, I had a similar story 6 weeks ago. We were in a hotel visiting our kids, and I saw something in my thigh, in the full length bathroom mirror, that I thought looked like a tumor. I showed my husband, and he said it was nothing. But it was... loose skin. So I recently started water aerobics again.
MeganO ( and others)- it is so funny you mentioned being cold. I have never been this cold in my life, as I sit here with a mini electric blanket on my lap. I question myself as to why I would want to stay in Iowa, with cold weather like this. It has bothered me more than ever now, but the snow is pretty.
Josh- how your success journey is continuing.
Princass- You mentioned travel. I went to Las Vegas in September, on this program and lost 6 pounds that week. I took my IP products, lettuce, cans of tuna and shrimp. I did have one fruit smoothie in the airport that was 89 calories and loved that. So it is doable. And I hope you are under 200 by Christmas also. I am loving to admit to finally getting past that number.
Maia- I had the hardest time making the crepes. Mine looked like a blob that looked similar to oatmeal. Finally, I learned to add the maximum amount of water it said to add, and did on a hot griddle, instead of pan. I used olive oil and PAM to coat the pan. They were much better then. I used Walden Farm strawberry jam and rolled them up. I do think the peanut butter of Walden Farm is not good. I sometimes dip my soy chips into peanut butter like dip, and it works.
Torchlaker- you are so inspiring and keeping me going. My son will soon be deployed as a National Guard member. He is 22 and my baby. You have been so helpful in your postings. I have added some Adkin products to my plan but I do not do more than one daily, since they are not as low carb as IP. I have used the bars and vanilla drink occasionally, which helps lower the cost of all this. In regards to stomach problems on this program- I was struggling terrible with bloating and gas pains. I started Phillips Colon Health, 1 daily. It is a probiotic and seems to help me avoid the diarrhea/constipation cycle.
Luvmymarine- I would have to agree with you about the oatmeal. I was never an oatmeal fan before this program. So I do not know why I thought my taste would change. My coach put it in my bag for my first week, and I ate it "like a good little girl" but would not choose it again.
Thanks,everybody, for helping each other by this forum. Also thanks to all those who post recipes. It is all helping me to be the healthiest I have ever been.
Sherry
Old 12-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #227  
started 10/11/09

S/C/G: 164/160/145

Height: 5'8"

ogdog: could you find a spinach/egg fritatta that is IP friendly? I bought some fresh spinach the other day and it (fritatta) sounds really good!
thanks - i have to go back and relook at the recipes again. Sometimes i just need a change and i find quite a few recipes that sound really good. Thanks for all your work on those.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #228  

what is the difference between the Ideal Protein way of eating and Atkins?
Old 12-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #229  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieLou View Post
what is the difference between the Ideal Protein way of eating and Atkins?
The I.P.program we are all on includes 3 packets of different scientifically engineered protien foods which are used as 3 meals or snacks per day. We also eat for dinner 1 serving of lean protien; up to 2 cups of green, non-starchy vegetables plus up to 2 cups of salad greens w/ low-no fat, no sugar dressing. That's this program. Plus a bunch of water and vitamin/mineral supplements. The protien packets are unlike any protien I've ever tasted. No aftertaste(to me, at least).

The major difference between I.P. and Atkins is that while Atkins allows unlimited calories and fat, but almost negligible carbs, we limit all 3. We eat, at the most, 900-1000 calories per day; no more than 3g. fat; and between 20-40 carbs. The packets we make and eat + the dinner meal should provide us with 100g.+ of protien. This is to spare our muscle mass while burning our body fat for fuel. Countless people who have their body fat measured weekly can tell you that this is so.

The only diet I've ever lost a lot of weight on before this was Atkins. I have been on it for more weeks than I have on this(5 1/2 weeks), and have used it successfully more than 3 times that I remember. I can tell you unequivically that this is faster and easier. But it is more expensive.

The last 3 phases on I.P. are designed to help you transition to regular eating(no, not cakes and chips, but not diet food, either). I obviously have not experienced the transitional phases yet, so I can't tell you with any authority if they are as successful. But what I can tell you is that everything I read about this diet has been proven out thus far. I knew from Atkins that ketosis kills your appetite, so that was no surprise. But what I was TOTALLY surprised by was the consistent 3-3.5 lb. weight losses everyone averages. Even people with relatively little to lose. Every week may not be stellar, but the averages don't lie. There were women here before(who are now in maintenance) who lost more than 140 lbs., and more than half their body weight. The average was the same as for us just starting.

God Bless Dr. Atkins for being revolutionary. But from him, they honed it down to develop I.P. By the way, their research is almost as old. We just never heard about it's popularity because it was big in Canada, not here. Whew, let me get off my soapbox. Suffice it to say that if I ever have to lose weight again, there is nothing else I would do but this, provided I had an extra $340 or so per month to spare. Sorry for rambling.

Last edited by echobaby; 12-11-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #230  

echo....thanks for the explanation and good luck!
Old 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #231  
back at it

Height: 5'6"

Leslielou:
The best explanation for you can be found on Dr. Tien's web site:
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique27
There he lists the "plan" and the foods you eat for each phase. Back in October someone posted the actual sheets we get from our Coach's. That showed the intake, vitamin's etc. we are supposed to do daily.
Good Luck on your journey.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #232  

S/C/G: 248/248/190

Height: 6 ft

recipe:

You Won't Believe it's Cauliflower Pizza Crust

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower*
1 egg
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/2 tsp fennel
1 tsp oregano
2 tsp parsley

**pizza or alfredo sauce
toppings (make sure meats are cooked)
mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit.
Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, combine cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Press evenly on the pan. Sprinkle evenly with fennel, oregano and parsley.
Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (15-20 minutes if you double the recipe).
Remove the pan from the oven. To the crust, add sauce, then toppings and cheese.
Place under a broiler (grill for the Europeans) at high heat just until cheese is melted **.

Notes:
*I use frozen cauliflower prepared according to package directions. After cooked and slightly cooled, I shred cauliflower with a cheese grater, and then measure for the recipe. (Don't pack down the cup with cauliflower. Just fill it with a spoon or the cup itself.)
** The pizza sauce I use is Great Value Pizza sauce from Wal-Mart. At only 3 net carbs per quarter cup, you get a lot of punch for little carbohydrate pow.
*** You can try re-baking the pizza at 450 once you add toppings if desired, but the crust is not quite as crusty. There is a minimal difference, so see what works best for you.

Nutritional Information for the entire crust:
calories: 434, fat: 25 g, carbohydrates: 8 (net), 13 if counting all, fiber: 5 g, protein: 41 g.

Nutritional Information for one serving: 109 calories, 7 grams fat, 2 net carbs, 1.5 grams fiber, 10 grams protein.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #233  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Height: 5'5"

Echobaby: Your explanation of IP was wonderful...putting it into layman terms and very detailed.

Sherry: Great post. My prayers will be with your son. Do you know when he will be deployed?? Will he be going to Afghanistan or Iraq? CONGRATS on being a "one". A few years ago, my starting weight was 216 and I went on Atkins. I remember doing the happy dance when I finally got below 200. This time, I could see my weight inching back up there. I didn't think I could do such a restrictive diet, since I could mentally barely keep my "head above water." In all actuality, I think the "restrictive" IP was JUST the answer. I really didn't have to "think" anymore. Good luck on your journey.

I am kinda hoping that the "loose skin" kinda adjusts itself. I know my "face" is adjusting. Remember when I was so upset about the loose skin (i.e., wrinkles) on my face? It is not nearly as bad now....guess my skin is settling into itself. I DID finally unpack the Tony Little Rock and Roll Stepper from HSN last night. OK -- it is hard. I think it is a movement I probably have not used much in my life....cuz I can feel it is my ankles and knees (it goes side to side). Once I am actually on it....then I have to keep my balance. It is supposed to work the core (and inner thighs, etc.). I can see that it does.

Lilita....Yeah, I will take some of those inches. I USED to be 5'7" -- but I have lost 2", I guess. (Getting old sucks.....). Nice thing is, most of my friends are my age...so they are shrinking too....so I still look tall to them!

Well, so far - no gain, no loss! I will be happy with that if it stays that way until I get back. Tomorrow is an all liquid diet for that stupid colonoscopy on Monday....So - I SHOULD weigh myself Monday morning, huh?? I gotta drink a gallon of this yucky stuff....(complain, whine.....)

I wanted to share something else...but I don't think it is legal to post a link here. A few weeks ago, I was searching "mature skin" - and found this gal who makes up her own creams, body lotions, etc. I got the sample face cream and eye cream, a masque and a toner. She is so reasonable..and I just love the products. I think a 4oz. jar of cream is $15.00 (sample size was $4.50)- which is pretty inexpensive compared to the creams I have been using. My skin is very sensitive and it handles these products well. I just went in to do my "weekly" blackhead removal...and there wasn't any! I was shocked. I love fashion...I love creams...and I try to treat myself to something every 10 pounds...(not food! Lipstick, or mascara, yadayada).

Oh well....I really need to clean my house. I have a feeling I will be in the powder room a lot tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #234  

S/C/G: 197/194/140

Height: 5'3

This is my first week. My scales show an incredible loss of 7 pounds. I hope it continues. The only 2 things I didn not like were banana pudding and the cereal.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #235  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bydec View Post
ogdog: could you find a spinach/egg fritatta that is IP friendly? I bought some fresh spinach the other day and it (fritatta) sounds really good!
thanks - i have to go back and relook at the recipes again. Sometimes i just need a change and i find quite a few recipes that sound really good. Thanks for all your work on those.
86 (don't use) and it is phase 1 compliant. Use cheese though, just eat less...LOL. Page 32 of recipes along with a couple others that looked good and are phase 2 compliant.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #236  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by elishatamar View Post
Hmm... I wonder if there is any way to make a creamy-style dressing using the almond milk...
elishatamar, check out page 22 of the recipes section. There are some creamy dressings listed there that you could try the almond milk in!!
Old 12-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #237  

toomanycats....thanks for the info...but I just wanted to know the difference between the two. thanks again
Old 12-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #238  

Default Does anybody know?

Hi. This is my first posting. I am almost done my 5th week of IP. I found this forum prior to while researching to see if this was something I wanted to try. I was always a ww girl (for about 10years) but the last year or two it hasn't been working for me and no matter how well I stuck to the program I would have frustrating weeks with no signs of progress. I love IP - it has finally gotten me off the plateau I was stuck on for way too long!

I have been enjoying everyone's posts so much over the last month. My coach is great but I have definitely learned more from all of you. I look forward to new posts to see what else there is to know. I also appreciated the warnings about the less than tasty IP products. So far I really enjoy all I have tried. I am really enjoying IP because I have a sweet tooth and like the texture of carbs so the crepes/pancakes and most of the other IP products help satisfy that need which is why I failed when trying Atkins.

My question to anyone who may know is how important is having the restricted IP package. I have to admit that they are my favourite but my progress has slowed down - I haven't lost in a 1.5 weeks. I read some of you said your coaches recommended watching the number of bars you had and other restricted items if necessary but for how long?? Could you just do it the whole time with no resticted IP or do the extra carbs serve a purpose?

Last edited by Pleased; 12-12-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #239  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleased View Post
Hi. This is my first posting. I am almost done my 5th week of IP. I found this forum prior to while researching to see if this was something I wanted to try. I was always a ww girl (for about 10years) but the last year or two it hasn't been working for me and no matter how well I stuck to the program I would have frustrating weeks with no signs of progress. I love IP - it has finally gotten me off the plateau I was stuck on for way too long!

I have been enjoying everyone's posts so much over the last month. My coach is great but I have definitely learned more from all of you. I look forward to new posts to see what else there is to know. I also appreciated the warnings about the less than tasty IP products. So far I really enjoy all I have tried. I am really enjoying IP because I have a sweet tooth and like the texture of carbs so the crepes/pancakes and most of the other IP products help satisfy that need which is why I failed when trying Atkins.

My question to anyone who may know is how important is having the restricted IP package. I have to admit that they are my favourite but my progress has slowed down - I haven't lost in a 1.5 weeks. I read some of you said your coaches recommended watching the number of bars you had and other restricted items if necessary but for how long?? Could you just do it the whole time with no resticted IP or do the extra carbs serve a purpose?
I'm not so sure the purpose of extra carbs. It's just that the bars are so dang tasty and more like real treats. I've never ordered them because I knew I'd be eating them every day. I thought you were supposed to eat them only twice a week, but there are some people here who eat them a lot and not had too much of a slowdown, like Torchlaker.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #240  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Pleased...I would think it would be GREAT if you could go without any restricted (how can you do that with a sweet tooth? I can't!)...I believe the only requirement is THREE packets a day, right? Puddings and drinks are not restricted...so it might help with the sweet tooth...get the protein packet in and not be restricted.

Pleased and Fav24fan - welcome! Fav - I do not like the cereal or the banana pudding either! There is a lot you can do with the vanilla puddings....Fav - your stats are similar to mine...nearly the same start weight, and goal weight altho I am 2" taller! (I don't think I will go all the way to 140...when you are my age, you kinda need SOME fat to fill out the wrinkles!).

You both have probably noticed that OgDog is like our "food guru." You tell her what you want....she always finds it! Valkyrie is our biggest loser (that I know of)....she hasn't been posting much cuz she is getting married in less than 2 months!! She is gonna be one beautiful bride with over 100+ weight loss. Mirazon and Echobaby are always cheerleaders..Lilita is our philospher....!...we have so many great people on the forum...and I get something from every single one of them! I am gonna miss you all if I don't have access to a computer when I go to Cleveland.
Closed Thread