Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #196  

S/C/G: 186.5/150.2/155

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMarine View Post
I am new to Ideal Protein. I started Dec 5., which means it's only been 5 days. I have lost 3.5 pounds. But the scale hasn't moved in 3 days now. I am already starting to get discouraged with my loss. Or lack of... What if I just lost a few pounds of water and that's it? I know I shouldn't be weighing every day, but I have been, as I am skeptical of how well I will lose on this plan. Granted, I only have about 20 pounds to lose, so maybe that's why I'm losing slower than those who have more to lose. But it sure is discouraging! I typically have an IP food for breakfast, an IP food for lunch with a salad (oil and vinegar dressing), an IP bar for a snack, and grilled chicken or fish with salad and a veggie for dinner. I've been measuring my meats and veggies to be sure I'm not having too much or not enough. In the mornings I drink 2 cups of coffee with Splenda and FF, unsweetened Coffee Mate creamer. Other than that, I drink only water all day. I have skipped my salad twice. If anyone sees anything wrong with what I'm doing, I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

On a side note, I don't know how to get back into my profile to post my starting weight, etc. Help!
LuvMyMarine: I only have/had 30 pounds to lose and I found that I lost a nice amount the first week and next to nothing the following 2 weeks even though I did not cheat. It was frustrating but I stuck with it and the weight started coming off regularly (3 to 3.5 pounds per week) This is week 8 for me and to date I have lost 24 pounds so that really averages out to 3 pounds per week. I have found that making sure I get my water in and that I exercise at least 3 times a week has really helped. I also found that going a week without the bars and also trying to have a bar every second day helped also as I kept my carbs down without them. Sure did miss them though. You might want to make sure you drink extra water to make up for the coffee.

As for updating your profile, on the tool bar on top in purple you will see User CP, click on that and it will bring up various options that you can edit to change your weight etc.

Keep at it and you should find that you will lose the weight, maybe not as fast as people that have more to lose but it does come off.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 180/180/154

Height: 5'5"

Ottawa - boy...you ARE really close to goal. Yesterday was my first day not on the IP products, and I did have a hard time. Didn't help that I was running a fever. I think I am going to have a hard time transitioning to real food these 3 weeks. I ended up eating an Oh Yeah protein bar for breakfast and then went back to bed. Couldn't make myself eat any lunch, and had a can of soup for dinner (was freaking out cuz it had 19 carbs). I find myself looking at different foods, thinking "Whoa...too many carbs (then it is TOO many calories and/or TOO much fat"). My nurse just said to make sure I had a protein at breakfast and a protein at night. Looking at just a lowcarb diet, it seems like so much fat....looking at a lowfat diet seems like too many carbs...well, you get the picture.

Luvmymarine.....If you don't have a "particular" goal in mind (like losing all 20# before Christmas)...you will do fine. Your food journal looked basically like mine. I did an IP bar everyday....but others didn't eat the restricted foods or limited them, and it seems like they lost weight faster than I did. I also skipped salads for lunch. I still did average about 2.5#-3# a week until the last few weeks. You might try a pudding, a shake or a drink as your snack, since those are not restricted. I was also told that on my first week, I could have up to 5 IP products a day...and some days I did because the transition is hard. Like you, I weigh myself everyday (don't think it is a good idea...but I do)...but I did find that MY scale is way off from my doctors (6# difference this week...which is awful...and it is an expensive scale). When is your first weighin?

Well, I was kinda dreading tonight because it is a potluck dinner at my friends house and I didn't know how "strong" I would be (yeah, I have avoided things like this....I would go to restaurants because I had the control). I didn't want to make my dessert yet, in case it was cancelled due to the weather..and then those darn "Mint Chocolate dessert bars" would be in my house and I am the only one that lives here. We are buried under a foot of snow....but they still haven't cancelled the party. Just waiting to hear....

I think we ALL come into this IP program, expecting BIG results and BIG weight losses every week. Most of us on this forum have found that the average loss is 3# a week. It may not be what you are expecting when you first come in....but in reality..think about it. Have you ever lost 3# a week on any other diet? Some weeks are more....some are less...but it all seems to average out. I am sure others that have been on this awhile would agree (SandraB - Ottawa --?). The main point is to stay consistent...follow the program....and try not to get discouraged.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:16 AM   #198  

S/C/G: 212/192/130

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchlaker View Post
Ottawa - boy...you ARE really close to goal. Yesterday was my first day not on the IP products, and I did have a hard time. Didn't help that I was running a fever. I think I am going to have a hard time transitioning to real food these 3 weeks. I ended up eating an Oh Yeah protein bar for breakfast and then went back to bed. Couldn't make myself eat any lunch, and had a can of soup for dinner (was freaking out cuz it had 19 carbs). I find myself looking at different foods, thinking "Whoa...too many carbs (then it is TOO many calories and/or TOO much fat"). My nurse just said to make sure I had a protein at breakfast and a protein at night. Looking at just a lowcarb diet, it seems like so much fat....looking at a lowfat diet seems like too many carbs...well, you get the picture.

Luvmymarine.....If you don't have a "particular" goal in mind (like losing all 20# before Christmas)...you will do fine. Your food journal looked basically like mine. I did an IP bar everyday....but others didn't eat the restricted foods or limited them, and it seems like they lost weight faster than I did. I also skipped salads for lunch. I still did average about 2.5#-3# a week until the last few weeks. You might try a pudding, a shake or a drink as your snack, since those are not restricted. I was also told that on my first week, I could have up to 5 IP products a day...and some days I did because the transition is hard. Like you, I weigh myself everyday (don't think it is a good idea...but I do)...but I did find that MY scale is way off from my doctors (6# difference this week...which is awful...and it is an expensive scale). When is your first weighin?

Well, I was kinda dreading tonight because it is a potluck dinner at my friends house and I didn't know how "strong" I would be (yeah, I have avoided things like this....I would go to restaurants because I had the control). I didn't want to make my dessert yet, in case it was cancelled due to the weather..and then those darn "Mint Chocolate dessert bars" would be in my house and I am the only one that lives here. We are buried under a foot of snow....but they still haven't cancelled the party. Just waiting to hear....

I think we ALL come into this IP program, expecting BIG results and BIG weight losses every week. Most of us on this forum have found that the average loss is 3# a week. It may not be what you are expecting when you first come in....but in reality..think about it. Have you ever lost 3# a week on any other diet? Some weeks are more....some are less...but it all seems to average out. I am sure others that have been on this awhile would agree (SandraB - Ottawa --?). The main point is to stay consistent...follow the program....and try not to get discouraged.
As far as the weight loss results are concerned....not only are we losing more than on any other diet...I have never been on one (and I've been on them all) where I'm really not hungry between meals. With IP, I may have an occassional hunger twinge.....but not real hunger. And if I cheat, it is because I want to taste something, not because I'm hungry. I'll take that any day over WW, or Quick Weight Loss or some of the others.
My son-in-law asked me last night if I think I can stay on this long term enough to lose the weight I want to. And I could honestly answer, absolutely!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #199  

Last night we took our kids and their families to a Texas Santa's Wonderland, about an hour away from our house. In preparation for this event, knowing that I wouldn't be able to find any food I could eat, I ate my protein and veggies for lunch. We left way too early for me to have dinner, so I made my omelet, wrapped it in foil and took it and a protein bar with me. It was pretty amusing for the kids to watch me eat that little omelet in the car. But the real chuckles came when everyone was sitting around this huge campfire, eating chili, drinking hot chocolate and there I was munching on my new cookies and cream bar Made me very proud of myself and my family was proud of me too.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #200  

S/C/G: 175/160.2/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
+Ogdog,

You ever make shakes or cook with unsweetened almond milk? It has only 2 carbs per cup. They also have chocolate, which I haven't tried.
I haven't cooked with it, but I can tell you I love it. It is thicker than soy and rice milks. Oat milk is good too. Not sure what the carbs are on that.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #201  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyMarine View Post
I am new to Ideal Protein. I started Dec 5., which means it's only been 5 days. I have lost 3.5 pounds. But the scale hasn't moved in 3 days now. I am already starting to get discouraged with my loss. Or lack of... What if I just lost a few pounds of water and that's it? I know I shouldn't be weighing every day, but I have been, as I am skeptical of how well I will lose on this plan. Granted, I only have about 20 pounds to lose, so maybe that's why I'm losing slower than those who have more to lose. But it sure is discouraging! I typically have an IP food for breakfast, an IP food for lunch with a salad (oil and vinegar dressing), an IP bar for a snack, and grilled chicken or fish with salad and a veggie for dinner. I've been measuring my meats and veggies to be sure I'm not having too much or not enough. In the mornings I drink 2 cups of coffee with Splenda and FF, unsweetened Coffee Mate creamer. Other than that, I drink only water all day. I have skipped my salad twice. If anyone sees anything wrong with what I'm doing, I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.
Are you weighing yourself the same time every day? I weigh myself before breakfast, so the number is as small as possible and I can be motivated to push through the periods I'm hungry during the day. :-) A few things to consider, also, would be where you are in your cycle and whether or not you've pooped in the past few days. If you're on medication, it might also affect what the scale says... for example, people on certain anti-hypertensives don't have as much water weight to lose, since many of those drugs are diuretics.

My mom is actually in a similar spot as you... We both started 11/30, but she's only about 5'1 and is also only looking to lose about 20 lbs. Her first week she only lost 3 lbs, and she's complaining that this week she hasn't lost anything.

As far as food goes, try not to skip the salad. Are you using any restricted veggies in your salad? Or too much oil in your dressing? Remember, while this is a low-carb diet, a gram of fat requires twice as much energy to burn off than a gram of protein or carbohydrates. Are you eating any other restricted packets on the same day as the bars? They're restricted because they're higher in carbs, so they slow down ketosis. You probably want to cut back on bars in general, go a few days a week not have any restricted packets. My coach also told me to have the snack after dinner, that's when it will do the most good. Or you might split it up, have half in the afternoon and half before bed.

Also remember, the best measure to how you're doing isn't your scale, it's your clothes!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #202  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

QUOTE: tORCHLAKER:

Echobaby: Is that almond milk that is in the regular aisles? I tried soy milk a few weeks ago..yuk. It didn't thicken my SF pudding either....but I have never tried almond milk. I did buy some Lactaid to try to make my own puddings (lactose intolerant) and did that today with regular SF pudding. It is okay. Actually, I liked the IP better.

Yes, it's in the aisle where they have the coffeemate, etc. No, soymilk is not delicious(to me).

You have to make sure you get the unsweetened almond milk, as the regular has 8 gr. of carbs per cup(not bad for maintenance, but for us, not so much). I tasted it before it was chilled and...it tasted like almonds and water. When chilled, it tastes very close to milk. I have the vanilla, but they make plain and chocolate, too.

LuvmyMarine,

Somewhere I read that we shouldn't use the bars in the first week, because we're trying to go as low carb as possible to get into ketosis. Also, as some others have said, it seems like only having 2-3 per week works best. Are you eating the oatmeal, chili, or other restricted items every day, too? Eating these and the bars on the same day would make it almost impossible for you to go into ketosis, which is the thing that really kills your appetite and allows you to lose so rapidly.

Last edited by echobaby; 12-10-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:00 PM   #203  
THINGS HAPPEN 4 A REASON

S/C/G: 233/149./140 START IP 10/24/09

Height: 5' 2.5"

Default New goal!!

@ EVERYONE-Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas for my vacation.

The losses this week are wonderful. Keep up the great work!!

@torchlakerI love your new planned BMI!!!
24.9!!

@OGDOG- Thanks for the website....very helpful.

~Your body is the baggage you must carry through life. The more excess the baggage, the shorter the trip.~
Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #204  
Started IP on 11/4/2009

S/C/G: 198/158/140

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

The boss is taking us to lunch tomorrow! Ahhhhh! This is not is my diet. We are going to Applebees. What can I order that is with in plan? I would to skip this luncheon but since there our only 4 of us, I better go.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanO View Post
HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

The boss is taking us to lunch tomorrow! Ahhhhh! This is not is my diet. We are going to Applebees. What can I order that is with in plan? I would to skip this luncheon but since there our only 4 of us, I better go.
Meghan -Applebee's has some WW items. You might be able to get away with one of those if they aren't covered in sauces. Check out their website and then you can plan ahead on what you can order and you won't feel out of control!
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #206  
Start Date: 11/30/2009

I'd get the shrimp and spinach salad w/o the bacon or the chili-lime chicken salad and just bring my own dressing...
Old 12-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #207  

MeghanO - I remember stopping at Applebees when I was about the 3rd week on IP. I truly can't remember what I ate....but it seems like it was a steak salad. I remember being thrilled that it was close to plan and it didn't cause a gain.

Mmmmm...I think I would like the almond milk then. I miss almonds. I use almond DiVinci syrup in my Vanilla puddings.

Luvmymarine - There are some really good suggestions here about what might be holding up the weight. (I don't have a cycle anymore....so that is never my problem...but YAY!! I don't miss it). I never heard about not using the bars the first week, but it makes sense. A bar will fill me up totally.

OptiChick: Had to laugh at you sitting around the campfire eating your bar. My fibromalygia support group had a Christmas party Tuesday, and they held it at Arbys. Normally, I would get a salad from Arbys, but I think this little "bug" I had coming on was making me kinda nauseated. So - everyone was sitting around eating all the goodies they brought, and the Arby's sandwiches, and I pulled out my bar. It was even funnier when they were passing out the cookies, candy, etc.....the girls would get to me and smile, and walk right past me!! I loved it because they were being supportive.

Had a real shocker today tho....I guess I hadn't really looked at myself "nekkid" since I lost the weight. I had to try on a shirt real fast, so I dropped my robe (just showered) and tried on the shirt. There was something wiggling down by my thighs - so I turned the overhead light on!! OhmyGosh...it WAS my thighs!! My inner thighs!! Heavy or thinner...I always had muscular legs so this was a shocker! I had bought the Tony Little Rock and Roll stepper from HSN to tackle inner thighs and core....but I haven't even opened the box cuz I was too busy. Here I was...all concerned about the new wrinkles in my face....and I have all this loose skin under my arms, my belly and my thighs (mostly places I try not to look....lol!!) So I GOTTA address this problem quickly. I have been BAD at exercising this past month, cuz I was so busy doing everything else before I leave!! Personally, I do not believe the Pomegrante drink would have helped (at least that was what Dr.Oz said)....SO - My NEW advice - gals. If you have as much weight to lose as I do....maybe exercise more than I did...cuz gals...you ARE gonna have some loose skin! (Of course, my other thought is - well, all those BIG losers on Biggest Loser had the same problem...and look how much they exercised....mmmmm..always an excuse, huh?)

Oh geez....another thought ..does anyone watch "The Biggest Loser"? I have watched it since the beginning and love it! But this year....since I was doing IP shortly after the season started, I really did listen to the trainers more (not that I exercised more....I just listened MORE....lol!!). I also watched Diet Tribe on Lifetime. I can't remember who said it earlier in this forum....(ValKyrie...SandraB??) - but just think...this year on New Years, you won't have to say you are gonna lose weight...you are already on your way.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #208  

PS: Did ya all notice that I changed my ticker from a ladybug to a butterfly? Yup...I am starting to spread my wings! The compliments are so nice, everyone....especially cuz I have worked so hard on the "inside" too!
Old 12-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #209  
Start Date: 11/30/09

S/C/G: 149/137/120

Height: 5'2"

Elisha, you and I started on the same day. I am in a similar situation to your mom, almost exactly. My coach's scale showed a 6lb loss. But I have been hovering between 144.6 and 145.2 since Sunday. My cycle is irregular, but I think this is probably the cause right now. Because I have not cheated at all!

That 145 is very emotionally debilitating to me, for some reason. I am hesitant to purchase more product unless I start seeing some more results. It's a very expensive way to maintain 144! But I do think it's probably my cycle, so I am going to give it a little more time. Trying to be patient!

FYI, my coach told me she traveled all the time with her packets in her carry-on. Unless you have the ready made drinks, I think it should be fine. I plan to pack what I need for the week in my checked baggage and one packet in my carry-on as a snack.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #210  
Started IP 10/30/09

S/C/G: 173.5/151.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia View Post
Elisha, you and I started on the same day. I am in a similar situation to your mom, almost exactly. My coach's scale showed a 6lb loss. But I have been hovering between 144.6 and 145.2 since Sunday. My cycle is irregular, but I think this is probably the cause right now. Because I have not cheated at all!

That 145 is very emotionally debilitating to me, for some reason. I am hesitant to purchase more product unless I start seeing some more results. It's a very expensive way to maintain 144! But I do think it's probably my cycle, so I am going to give it a little more time. Trying to be patient!

FYI, my coach told me she traveled all the time with her packets in her carry-on. Unless you have the ready made drinks, I think it should be fine. I plan to pack what I need for the week in my checked baggage and one packet in my carry-on as a snack.
DON"T GIVE UP!!!!! If you get time, read back through all the October and November chats. Each of us has gone through what you are now, and, in my case, the only thing keeping me from quitting was reading those posts and seeing other people come through these kinds of stalls fine. Better than fine, GREAT. You'll find if you follow everyone's progress, that IN EVERY SINGLE CASE whether we are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 years old, morbidly obese, obese, just chubby, close to goal weight, WHATEVER, we all average 3-3.5 lbs. per week if we stick with it. Have faith, and you'll be very happy.

Last edited by echobaby; 12-10-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Closed Thread