General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 08:57 AM   #16  
Super Duper Member

Lightbulb Xenical and insurance...

I wanted to thank everyone who mentioned that their insurance covered their Xenical. I decided to go check the web site on my insurance (AETNA US Healthcare) and after doing a little digging I found out that they WILL pay for the Xenical if your BMI is over 30 (mine is 45) or if it's over 27 and you meet certain medical conditions!

I'm thrilled to see that because at $125 I was dreading having to buy the next bottle! I'm giving them a call today to find out what I need to do to get reimbursed for the one I already bought!

For those of you who paid, make sure you check with insurance to see if they have any clauses like this one! It's not something they make well known, so you might have to do a little digging!
Old 07-20-2001, 12:19 PM   #17  

Thumbs up TOPS!

I am new here, and I want to congratulate you on your 100lb loss, but, there is also something I am disappointed about. Tops means to take off pounds sensibly. I used to be in the local chapter and had some very bad experiences. People made fun of each other instead of supporting others, they would go out and eat candy and at restaurants after the meetings, and some even used weight loss pills like you. It is not allowed to use supplements, pills, or be in weight watchers or another program while participating in tops. If you are doing any of these, you are not legally eligible for competitions and weight loss contests. Please read your rule book and be fair to others in your group by losing weight the natural way. Besides, my aunt took Xenical and had diarrhea the whole time. She lost 85 lbs, but gained 65 of it back after she quit taking it. It made her very ill, and now she is right back where she started. I encourage you to change your diet and lifestyle and not take a pill that could risk your health later in life. Good luck on whatever you choose to do!
Old 07-20-2001, 01:00 PM   #18  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default Welcome Wasit me!

Wow looks like we're growing (but only as a group...lol).

Wasitme: I'm curious to know who said you could only have 30-35 grams of fat? According to the literature and my dr. you're supposed to consume the required calories with 30% of those coming from fat. In this case with 1500 calories you would get 450 calories or 50 grams of fat, and with 1800 that increases to 60 grams....you may want to check this out!!!

VR: I agree regarding the support issue... Right now of course I am extremely motivated, however when things slow down I may revisit the TOPS or WW idea just to "refresh" myself with something new.

Hope you get stuff too! Let me know...it's really fun..I called last sunday to "register" and the binder arrived on Thursday...very good service!

Are you guys not using the food diary on the Xenical website? I've been using it, but it does mean you have to enter the calories & fat grams yourself (it does the addition) and it is all saved. I've been using it this week to see how I like it...I can access it from home or work, so that's convenient...but I do have the nice food journal diary provided in my package of goodies.
(I may look at the site you mentioned to check it out!)

As for my "plan"...I'm simply eating well balanced meals and counting the calories and fat as per the package and/or general information. As I am now more "aware" of what I'm eating...I notice that while I can usually make my 1500 calories, I don't make the 50 grams...I think I just need to play around with this a bit..in fact the other day I had a small sundae from McDonalds as I had leftover calories and fat grams...It was a very nice treat. I think I have to learn to incorporate more treats in my diet...but I know that will come with time.

Wasitme....are you following a specific plan? or just "counting"...when do you "weigh in" and/or how much weight have you lost in the month?

Froufie
Old 07-21-2001, 02:56 PM   #19  

Default xenical newbie update

Hi ladies!

Well, today is Saturday.....just 5 full days using xenical. My fear of the dreaded side effects have kept me honest and ever vigilant of the fat monster lerking in my food. I started at 310 lbs. and this morning weighed in at 300!!! I am so excited. I've been to TOPS, WW, Jenny, and lots more. They are good for support but I am sick and tired of organizations making money off my misery. Besides, now that I have found u guys, I feel like I can get my support here for free!!! And that makes me happy!!!!

Hope to find u guys online one of these times. It would be great to chat real time.

pabs
Old 07-21-2001, 04:25 PM   #20  
Card Carrying Princess

Smile WAY TO GO PABS!!!

Hey Pabs...that's awesome...congrats on the super weight loss! You must be so thrilled.

I know when I'm not "dieting" or watching what I eat I am so obsessed about my weight and constantly feeling lousy, but when I'm in "control" and doing something about it...I do feel really good....and that leaves my mind to concentrate on other things..rather than how FAT I am!!!

I have "snuck" on the bathroom scale (but it does need a new battery - it's electronic)...and so far looks like 4.5 lbs down since Monday...maybe I can make it an even 5 for Monday a.m. - my "official" weigh in.... however I do go back to dr. for my real weigh in mid-august.

Are you following a specific food plan??? or just "monitoring" what you eat?

Anyways whatever you're doing seems to be working so keep it up!

Frouf
Old 07-21-2001, 08:30 PM   #21  
Hang In There

Default Maybe this is what I need!!!

I read with interest all of your posts, and you have all inspired me. I took Zenical over a year ago, I lost weight and have kept it off (about25 pounds), But one thing lead to another etc and I stopped taking it. I still have plenty in my medicine cabinet (which my insurance DID pay for) so I'm going right now and take it. And starting tomorrow I will take it three time a day as directed. I have been on such a downer the last few months that I haven't been able to lose an ounce. Maybe this will be the jump start I need to get back on the right track Wish me luch and I wish the same to all of you. Keep posting your results and I'll do the same.
Old 07-21-2001, 08:46 PM   #22  
Card Carrying Princess

Default Welcome Barb

Join the gang...nice to hear you were once successful with Xenical...and that you are renewing your journey to continue to lose weight. I'm sure it will give you the jump start you need!

And we are all here definitely to support each other as best we can.

Keep us posted on your progress & successes!

Froufie
Old 07-21-2001, 10:55 PM   #23  
Super Duper Member

Default For Snakegurl, re: TOPS and Xenical

Hi Snakegurl,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with your TOPS chapter. Not all of them are the same unfortunately, I guess. I'm fortunate to belong to a very nice, supportive group. Last year I volunteered to be the Chapter Leader and I get nothing but support and praise from the other members.

I take it you haven't been a TOPS member for a couple of years because in January 2000, TOPS changed the national rules and removed the one about people not be allowed using pills or surgery to help them lose weight. Check out the TOPS web site or ask a current member for the copy of the national rules. As chapter Leader I have to be aware of them and I can assure you that I am not cheating anyone.

Over the years TOPS has grown and thank GOD, it is keeping up with the times and the latest research which states that obesity is IN FACT to be considered a disease and as with any disease, medication or other procedures are sometimes needed in order to help a person deal with it. They now allow you to use these methods at TOPS IF YOUR DOCTOR RECOMMENDS IT. They no longer disqualify people from competitions or contests like they used to.

My doctor is wonderful and extremely supportive of my weight loss and the fact that I have lost 100 lbs and would like to lose another 100. She thoroughly went over the side effects of Xenical with me and she also let me know that the reason she likes Xenical over some of the other meds is that it DOES NOT have the dangerous side effects that some other's do (like increased heart rate, etc).

As for my 100 lb loss, I did it all on my own with a healthy diet and exercise and yeah it's great, but sometimes you get to a point where the body won't lose anymore and that is where I have been for the past 6 months.

I'm a 36 year old Mom of 2 boys, ages 3 and 6. They are the joy of my life and definitely a reason for me to want to live. I'm sorry if it upsets you, but I will use whatever means are available to me to get to help me get to my goal.

When my 3 year old was born, I weighed 430 lbs. Even at 5 feet, 11 inches, that's over 200 lbs more than I should have weighed! I spent about 3 months in the hospital during the pregnancy because of a life threatening blod clot that developed and was further aggravated by my weight while I was only 11 weeks pregnant. I was on heparin for 3 months of the pregnancy and on a newer blood thinner called "lovenox" for the other 3 months.

My leg was so swollen from the clot that I had to be on total bed rest for 3 weeks and use a bed pan in the hospital. Have you ever had to rely on someone else to wipe your rear? I had to because my swelling was so bad that my mobility was limited. Let me tell you, it's a humiliating experience.

Before they sent me home I had a porta cath inserted into my jugular vein. Because of my weight and my pregancy I couldn't be have anesthesia so I had to endure this wide awake. I cried in the OR through the whole procedure. I prayed to God and I swore to myself after that that I would never ever ever allow myself to be in that type of situation again. My weight was killing me and I had to put an end to that nonsense. I still have an ugly scar on my chest from that porta cath and everytime I look at it I remember why I want to keep losing weight.

I had a 2 year old son at home at the time and I had no one to take care of him, so we had to send him from relative to relative while I was in the hospital. It was my first time being seperated from him and it was the hardest thing I ever did. When I came home, I had to use a walker and I could barely get to the bathroom even with that. The pain in my leg was unreal. I had a visiting nurse come draw my blood everyday and change my needle until my porta cath became infected and I had to go back to the hospital to have it removed.

At that point, I was put on injections. I could barely take care of my son and I had to inject myself in the stomach with blood thinners 3 times a day. I used to sit on my bed and cry as I tried to brace myself to stick this needle in yet another part of my stomach. Always looking for a spot that wasn't already black and blue from the other injections. I felt trapped in my own body and I felt like my son was being deprived of having a healthy Mom and a normal life.

A couple of times I had to go back to the hospital and I was constantly remind how real the threat of a stroke was for me. I was 33 years old. That was devasting to me to think that I could die and leave my 2 year old with no Mom and my husband, who was working 80 hours a week to support us, alone to raise him.

I've been overweight my whole life. I'm not a pig, I don't sit around all day eating -- I never did. For some reason, I'm just one of those people who gains weight easily. Maybe it's not fair, but this is the body GOD has given me and it's up to me to make the best of it. I was able to lose 100 lbs with no pills, just exercise and eating right and that's great. But now I need help losing another 100. I'm sorry that you disapprove of the pills -- all I can say is everyone has to decide for themselves what is best. Don't ever take pills or do anything that is against your belief.

Now I eat right, very low fat, and I exercise at least 6 times a week. I can walk for hours now without stopping or being out of breath. I do Tae Bo, something that most women who weigh 330 lbs can't do. I'm proud of what I have accomplished. I'm not looking to be a model or wear a thong bikini. I just want to be healthy and to take care of my boys and watch they grow up and get married. I want to be able to get on the floor and play with them without my knees or my back hurting. I want to walk my 6 year old to the bus stop and not have other kids laughing at his fat Mom.

I want a lot for myself and my family and if taking Xenical now means I can accomplish what I started 2 years ago, then with God's help, I will do what I need and the only judgement I need is his.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:08 PM   #24  
Super Duper Member

Talking Greetings to our new friends!

Welcome! It's definitely nice to have some people joining us here!

Froufy, HOORAY on your success so far this week! Pabs, you also sound like you are doing wonderful! I stood on the scale this evening and it looks like I might be down another couple of pounds myself so I too am hoping to show another loss on Wednesday at TOPS! I have been exercising diligently and it feels good to know that it will start paying off again!

I did find out that I'm going to have to fight with my insurance to get them to pay for the Xenical. They don't just say "yes" and apparently their own reps weren't aware they had any information on the web site that says they can pay if you have a BMI over 30, so it looks like I have my work cut out for me, but I'm up for the challenge!

GOOD LUCK to all of us and everyone have a great weekend! We're having dinner tomorrow with friends that I haven't seen since last summer. They went to OK for 2 years to attend a bible ministry school and I'm excited to have them back home again! I'm bringing a healthy dessert to their house: Angel food cake with fresh strawberries, fresh blueberries and fat free whipped cream! It's one of my favorite things to have for dessert! Tastes great without the fat and calories!!

Vi

Last edited by VioletRose; 07-21-2001 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-22-2001, 02:22 AM   #25  
Viva la vida loca!

S/C/G: 360/329/297 (second 10%)

Height: 5'6"

Default Puttin' on my fins and divin' in!

I've been watching this thread and also looking at the two sample bottles of Xenical on my shelf.

I had made up many excuses not to use Xenical -- side effects, too expensive, etc -- and finally decided that the reason I haven't used it yet is because every time I take it, it would be the struggle between me, myself and I.

I eat a lot of fat, I have side effects.

I stay within the guidelines, it does what it is supposed to do.

I've decided to go for it. Facing the side effects is enough to make me rethink eating a lot of fat.

I'll keep you posted. Count me in, and continued success to you all!

Claire
Old 07-22-2001, 02:33 AM   #26  
Super Duper Member

Talking

Good for you Claire!! Let us know how you make out!
Old 07-22-2001, 12:38 PM   #27  
Card Carrying Princess

Default WELCOME CLAIRE!

Nice to have you aboard...and I hear what you're saying...you almost have to keep low fat in order to avoid those nasty side effects...so that might be a bonus in disguise! Don't forget to check out the website, where you can track you progress and enter your daily food diary (www.xenicare.com). Let us know how you're doing and how many cals/fat grams you're consuming.

And Violet Rose I was extremely moved and touched by your response to snakegurrl.......I can only say "more power to you"...you obviously know where you're going and I for one, am absolutely certain you'll get there. You sound motivated and committed and I'm sure you'll be a great source of inspiration and support to others here. At least you are to me!

As for the insurance...sounds like they need some "educating" and you're definitely the one to do this. If it is a policy then it should be pretty simple for them to reimburse you as required. I'm sure you dr. can help out if required.

My greatest concern today is this afternoon's party for our youngest, Sam, who is turning 3....not sure how it will play out and I am trying to organize/plan my eating, but I'm afraid I will start nibbling and things will get out of hand.

I think I will just skip the pill, as we will be ordering in pizza, there will be chocolate cake and ice cream as well as chips and other stuff (frozen strawberry daiquiries..yum). I think it is fairly obvious that I will be over the 30% fat limit even if I have just a bit of this and that......I guess I'll play it by ear and see how it goes. I think I might splurge and just regroup for tomorrow.

Time to go pick up the cake (Buzz Lightyear!) and balloons and start decorating (Sam's just gone down for his nap and party guests, all 20 of them, to arrive later).

Talk to you later!

Frouf!
Old 07-22-2001, 03:33 PM   #28  
Super Duper Member

Angry Happy Birthday Sam!

Good luck today Frouf! Once in a while it's good to have a little splurge! I learned a long time ago that trying to be "perfect" all the time was never going to work, so once in a while I will enjoy a day like that and the next day I make sure I'm back on track!

I'm home waiting for my husband to come back so we can go to our friends' house for dinner. We were on the way there when his emergency pager went off and he had to respond. Rarely happens, so I can't complain and it means good OT $ -- so it looks like our dinner is postponed a couple of hours, but that's ok! I'm taking advantage of the time to get some laundry out of the way and I did my Tae Bo this morning, so I may kick back for an hour and put my feet up!

How many kids do you have? And not to get off subject, but let me know if you have any luck in the potty training, my 3 year old is giving me the hardest time!! Stubborn little guy!

Vi

P.S. Thanks for the support! It means a LOT to me!

Last edited by VioletRose; 07-22-2001 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:57 AM   #29  
Card Carrying Princess

Default PARTY TIME IS OVER & I'M POOPED

Potty training..are you kidding??..I feel like Sam will be in diapers forever (but I know that's not true). Other kids include 15 yr old son (welcome to the wonderful teenage years)..and a 9 yr old daughter..so my house is a very busy place! (I also work full time and go to school part time, doing my MBA.. - yes the word insane has been used in describing me).

As for the party...I did have a good time...very busy making sure eveyone was being taken care of. I had a couple of handfuls of chips, one frozen strawberry daiquiri, one slice of veggie pizza (it was a big one tho), and a small square of chocolate cake....I didn't go crazy, but neither did I take a Xenical pill, cuz I certainly did not want to succumb to any nasty side effects due to too much fat.

The weird thing is I feel okay...not guilty or sick about what I ate..and I'm not beating myself up about it..which is very different than past behaviour....Maybe I should be feeling more guilty???

But I did step on the scale this a.m....drumroll please...official weight loss for this week is 4.5 lbs (okay it was hovering near the 5 lb mark, but I"m being conservative).

I am very pleased with this and am hoping to make my goal of 15 lbs by my next dr's appt.!

Still no exercising tho...this is something I definitely have to work at!

Let's hear how everyone else is doing!

Froufie
Old 07-23-2001, 10:42 PM   #30  

Default Thanks!!!

I am so glad that I found u guys! Too many times I've been to weight groups whose members only have a small amount of weight to lose. I have nothing against them, but they have no clue what it means to be looking at a weight loss of over 100 lbs.

Thank you for all of your words of encouragement.

Continued success to all of us!!!!!!

pabs
Closed Thread