General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 09:29 AM   #16  

Hi everyone,

Way to go Nettie on the 4 pound loss. I can't imagine working 10 hour days and still having time for your family let alone personal time to diet and exercise!! You are an inspriation. Half way to goal is so exciting isn't it? It is so great when people start noticing the loss. The 5k went well, we completed it in 40 minutes, I won first place in my age group. I walk most days with a neighbor for about 45 minutes so walking isn't too much of a challenge for me. If it was a run, they would have to pick me up on a stretcher LOL. Keep up the good job and you will be at goal before the end of summer.

Congrats on the 2 pound loss Morrigan, yes it is so motivating to lose even a small amount let alone 2pounds!!! It just reinforces what you are doing is not for nothing, sometimes it seems like it is when the scale doesn't budge no matter how good you are.

Have you guys read the announcement at the top of the forum? Sounds like the site may not be going much longer. I don't blame the 3FC's at all, nobody could afford that kind of expense month after monthl. Maybe a miracle will happen. It will be sad, because so many people come here for support who other wise may not get much at home.

When you guys sign on have you been getting an error message that says something like an error has occured and do you want to keep running this script? Just wonder if it is the site or my computer!!!

Have a good day.

Daytona

Daytona
Old 06-13-2001, 09:19 AM   #17  

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let all of you know I am going on vacation tonight and will be back next Wed the 20th, so have a good week. We are going up to our cabin so it should be a relaxing time.

Daytona
Old 06-15-2001, 10:13 AM   #18  

Thumbs down Singing delightly

I lost 2 1/2 Lb's La la la. Feeling so great! not punishing myself on other diets any more. LA LA LA!

I have never felt so good! This calorie counting does work and the best part is I am not punishing myself. I'm not rabbit fooding, I'm not living off these so called meal a bars. I'm getting to know my food, Portions, calories. I'm no longer starving myself. This is great. Where was my head all this time when calorie counting is the cheapest way to go.

I think I'm feeling LIGHTER ON MY FEET!!!!!

I was 257 and as of today I am 232 and feeling better every lost pound on the way!!!!

TSK TSK Have a great weekend y'all!

257/232/137
Old 06-20-2001, 12:41 PM   #19  

Hi everyone,

Looks like everyone must be busy, not much acitivity on this thread while I was gone. I had a nice relaxing vacation, and managed to eat in my calorie range most of the time. Of course I did have a few days I went over but the extra walking must of helped cause I still weigh the same as when I left!! I am so glad.
Fiestyfilly and Nettie are doing good, how about everybody else?

Have a great day.

Daytona
Old 06-20-2001, 06:14 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

Hi Calorie Counters:

I picked up a good idea over on the support page. Start a streak of good eating today. Count today as day one and count how many days you can go eating with in your calorie range and getting in all your exercise.

Today is good day #3 for me and I have lost 2 lbs since last week -- putting me back down to 154. It feels really good to see results from hard work. Give it a try.
Old 06-22-2001, 10:28 AM   #21  

Thumbs down New to calorie counting board

Hello calorie counters,

I'm new to this website (as of a week ago), and I'm new to the calorie counters board. Is this our primary board for calorie counting?

You know I keep trying all of these different diets only to come back to calorie counting. I just can't seem to eat the right combinations or divide up my points appropriately over a day. I tried Sugar Busters last week, and I really liked the suggestions to eat whole grains and generally less refined food. I just can't stick with something like that long term. Sometimes I want a piece of cake from white flour! I congradulate anyone that can follow a defined program as you have tremendous willpower.

Anyway, I was successful last month losing 5 pounds primarily counting calories. I have 45-50 lbs to go, so you will be seeing me around. I plan to add exercise on my orbitrek to my routine next week which should help. I'm also going to check out fitday and dietwatch which so many have recommended. Feel free to email or give me tips anytime.

Barbara
([email protected])
Old 06-22-2001, 12:17 PM   #22  

Welcome m2mk!

I post here with the calories counters and on other threads on the support page too. I lost over 50 lbs by counting calories and have gained a few of those back -- so I had to start counting again. Right now I am using dietwatch to track my calories and I am challanging myself to "streaks" to see how many days I can go with good eating and exercing. Right now I am on Day 1 again since yesterday was kind of ugly (2600 calories - wine and bar nuts can really add up ).
Old 06-22-2001, 05:09 PM   #23  

Default end of day and run out of calories(tips)

Hello again calorie counters,

When it is the end of the day, you have run out of calories (ie. you are over your respectable limit), but have not eaten dinner and are famished, what do you do? This is where I mess up!

Also, I'm 5 foot 2 inches and weigh 175. I'd like to lose around 50 lbs. What caloric level should I start with? I am going to start exercising 3 days a week starting next week. Thanks.

Barbara
Old 06-22-2001, 06:44 PM   #24  

Hi everyone,

The time away was great!! I even stayed the same with my weight so it was wonderful. How are all of you doing?

Welcome Mom2mykids, if I were you I would write down what you typicaly eat in a day now and see where you are at with calories then go from there. I am 5'2 and I maintain on 1400 cal a day average. I started out eating 2500 plus. Maybe you could cut back 500 cal a day and see what happens. Just remember it takes a 3500 cal deficet to lose one pound!! Somehow that doesn't seem fair does it?? As far as exercise, I walk most days of the week for 1 hour. I used to lift weights for the arm flab, but now that summer is here it has fell by the way LOL.

Good idea Morrigan, sometimes you stay on track better if you challenge yourself and see how long you can go with out a slip up.

I'll check back tomorrow.

Daytona
Old 06-22-2001, 10:49 PM   #25  

I am 5'2" and I weigh 153 lbs. I started dieting at 200 lbs. I averaged around 1400 calories a day and did a 20-40 minute workout 3-5 days a week. I lost 50 lbs in about 6 months. Right now I can lose about 1 lb a week if I stick to 1400 calories. I used to be able to lose 2 lbs a week at that level.

It is nice to have other people the same hieght to compare to. It is hard to accept that being petite means we don't get to eat as much as our taller friends.
Old 06-23-2001, 04:43 PM   #26  

Default ya lose ya gain ya lose

Lost another two pounds by Friday but I bet I will blow it this weekend. Having Taco soup over the weekend and boy I tell ya it is loaded with meat and I don't care how much lean meat you use in it,It isn't lean enough. This is one weekend for it to be ate and off the menu. I'm just a sucker for spiecy foods and this is one food I lose control over. Guess I'll see if I will be paying for it by the next following Friday.

257/229/137

Old 06-25-2001, 03:23 PM   #27  

Talking Weight Watchers vs. Calorie Counting

Has anyone tried WW and felt that Calorie counting was better for them? What differences have you found? I have been following WW for 2 weeks, I had a bad weekend and I'm back on the wagon today. I exercise 5 days a week. If calorie wise, WW gives a point for about 50 calories, at about 27 points I'm eating 1350 calories. It just seems low to me. I can basically follow it but wonder sometimes if I need to go that low. I have seen so many other articles and books and things that say I can/should have more to lose. I'm sorry, I guess I'm just confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:17 PM   #28  

Default ww vs counting calories

I have had success with both WW and counting calories. I have lost 50+ lbs both ways. (WW first, gained it back, now losing counting calories.) I prefer and do better at coming here for support and counting calories than paying someone $600 a year to weigh me. If I was having this conversation with a first time dieter, I would send them to WW for all the good info on nutrition. If you know all that stuff and just need to do it, I would say count calories.

My main criticism of WW is that for me it allows to much freedom. I would use almost all of my points on dairy products and starches and have no meat, fruit or fat. Actually I can do OK with the WW Personal Selection plan which requires a certain amount from each food group. But give me free riegn and I fail.

I use dietwatch (fitday is good too) for counting calories. The reason I am sold on it is because of the green happy faces for good nutrition. I can see as I go how many calories, fat, fiber, carbs, protien, A, C, Calcium, and Iron I have each day when I type in my food. This helps me adjust for a balanced diet and not to eat too much of one thing.

The other benefit to WW is what you pay the money for. Weighing in in front of someone holds you accountable. I get around that by logging into challange threads here at 3FC and posting my weight as I go.

Also the leader makes a difference. We have a great leader at noon and a really crappy leader (puts people down) in the evening. They have both been leaders for 20+ years and aren't going anywhere. I can't make the noon meetings and I don't like weighing in with the evening leader so that cuts out WW totally from me. All that said, I will probably rejion when I get 5 lbs from goal just so I can get my lifetime pin.

Last edited by morrigan; 06-25-2001 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-25-2001, 05:22 PM   #29  

Default Calorie Counting

Morrigan-

What is your suggestion to how many calories I should have? I have so much conflicting information, I'm not sure what to believe.

I agree with your statement about too much freedom. I am following the points but I'm so concerned with staying under points and banking for the weekend, I'm not focusing on eating healthier. My own problem I know but I'm looking for a little change. I would like to give calorie counting a shot.
Old 06-25-2001, 10:12 PM   #30  

Your suggested calories are based on your hieght, weight, and activity level. It would be hard to suggest something without knowing those factors.

We should ask Mrs. Jim for help since she always has handy a good list of websites with the info.

I agree about the conflicting info. I started at 5'2" (obviously that didn't change) and a little over 200 lbs. My calories per day recomendation from one website to the next varied from 1200 to 2500 - a huge margin. The thing about 1200 is that you lose about 2-4 lbs a week. The downside is that it is so low you can't keep it up long term. For me if I eat 2000 calories I don't lose weight. My best suggestion (if you are planning on doing this long term) would be to pick a number, 1400, 1800, 2000... whatever. Stick with it for a month. Don't count the first week and don't count the TOM week. Then see how many lbs you lost per week at the calorie level you chose. Lower it by 200 calories if you want to lose faster. Up it by a few if you are pretty happy with your loss.

There are just so many factors involved. A lb is about 3500 calories, so theoretically if you cut 500 calories a day out of your diet you would lose a lb a week. Conversly, if you burned an extra 500 calories a day you would lose a lb a week. I realize as I am babbling on here that I still haven't answered your question. I guess I would go to a website like dietwatch or fitday, look at their reccomendation and go a bit lower than they suggest.

Als0 - the 1350 calories for WW is misleading because veggies are free there. You could easily eat 4-500 calories in veggies if you eat them like I do.

Last edited by morrigan; 06-25-2001 at 10:16 PM.
Closed Thread