General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 07:15 AM   #61  

Good morning everyone!

I lost two big fat pounds last week. More at the pace I wanted. The more my family sees changes in me, the more interested they are in eating healthier. My husband usually does all the grocery shopping, but I went this week and we spent a lot of time reading and comparing labels. Amazing how much sodium companies have to put in food if they are putting it in a can or box. We learned a lot and ended up going to the farmer's market for a lot of our food.

Jennifer: I try to eat between 1400 and 1600 calories a day. I think the weight came off so fast in the beginning because I was eating so unhealthy before I started. I went from eating fried, fast food to fresh healthy food. I just started exercising last week and I lost two pounds. Not the pace I was at, but a pretty healthy pace to lose weight. I took my step-daughter to a movie Saturday night and pigged out on popcorn. I did forgo the soft drink and had water, though. One small step. And considering we go to the theater about once a year, I'm not worried about starting a bad habit. I'm still pretty new at this and learn more about how to eat and even more about myself everyday. I still have to fight cravings for certain things. But I want to take it slow now and hopefully I will be able to maintain a healthy weight throughout the rest of my life.

Hope everyone has a successful day!

231/209/170
5'10"
Old 05-21-2001, 01:48 PM   #62  

Hi everyone,

Does anyone else have this problem?? I do great with my eating all week, then the weekend comes and I always way over eat on Fri and Sun. I have gained 2pds doing this in the past 4 months. I think this is going to have to stop or I will be right back up the scale. Maybe I am just getting tired of watching everything that goes in my mouth?? This is a lifestyle change so I better quit feeling sorry for myself and get back on track. Used to be I was so careful not to eat little bits and pieces of stuff (like a handful of chips etc) now I find myself doing that daily. Well thanks for letting me vent. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Have a good week.

Daytona
Old 05-21-2001, 02:37 PM   #63  

i do!
Old 05-21-2001, 03:00 PM   #64  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Daytona

I think many of us here have that problem - it's pretty easy to stay on program during the week - especially if you are working a full-time job or otherwise so busy you don't have time to think about eating other than what you have planned.

Then the weekend hits - and control goes out the window (just like a mini-vacation I guess!).

That's what I was talking about in my previous post - one of the truly terrific things about Body for Life is the "Free Day". I'm not saying you should do BFL (although it's a great program!) but the concept of a 'free day' is worth thinking about.

Let me define what 'free day' means to me...it does NOT mean a 24-hour binge on everything in sight. A Free Day to me simply means that, if there is a special food you crave, that is the day you have it. Jim and I have turned "Free Day" into "Date Day". I weigh myself on Sunday morning - then I'm free to eat whatever I want during the day. Giving myself that permission is WONDERFUL and my special meal always tastes much better since I'm not feeling as though I'm 'sneaking' it or 'going off the wagon'. On Sunday evening, after we've had our dinner (usually Mexican food) I'm full and content - ready to begin my program anew on Monday morning!

A designated "free day" also gives you a short-term goal to aim towards, and keeps me from eating something I should probably not have during the week. If something tempts me, I just say to myself "I'll just wait til Sunday - only six/five/four more days - and have it then." That usually works - knowing I will be able to treat myself in just a few days can squelch a craving pretty quickly! On the other hand, without a free day, I will just end up feeling resentful because 'everyone else is having it and I can NEVER eat that!'

Think about it - a 'free day' DOES make perfect sense - especially done mindfully (not a 12-hour bingefest).

Take care!
Old 05-22-2001, 06:18 AM   #65  

Default help

is there anyone who can help me with calorie counting
Old 05-22-2001, 09:43 AM   #66  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Becca

Sounds like you could use some group support and a little nutritional education...from the tone of your posts anyway...

First off, stay away from all those 'miracle weight loss' pills and nostrums that are advertised all over the place. Let's face it, if they REALLY worked, it would be front-page news throughout America!

What you need to do is find out how many calories your body needs to function each day, depending on your daily level of activity, your weight, etc. I'd say that for most people, anything UNDER 1400 calories a day is way too low. Even though you would THINK that eating 1,000 - 1,200 calories a day (or less!) would take off the weight much quicker, what it REALLY does is burn off lean body tissue as your body goes into 'starvation mode'. In other words, your bod will hang onto every fat cell for dear life, thinking that you're in a famine. Then, when you start eating normally again, your body will very efficiently store all those extra calories as ugly fat.

I and many other 3FC members use www.fitday.com to keep track of calories - both eaten and expended in exercise. Keeping a food journal can really help you become MINDFUL of what you are eating.

Also, go to the library and check out some books. Educate yourself on how the body assimilates food and burns calories! If you go to my website, I've got some suggested reading - most of which you can find in any library. I need to update my list to include Laura Fraser's "Losing It" and Bill Phillips' "Body for Life" as recommended (I'll get to it one of these days!)

Personally, going to Weight Watchers hasn't helped me a great deal, but it sounds like the group support and basic nutritional education that they provide could really be helpful to you. If you can't afford Weight Watchers, then see if there's a TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) or Overeaters Anonymus (sp) in your area. Both these organizations charge next to nothing and offer the group support that many people need.

You also sound the way I was back in the late 80's - kind of depressed with yourself and life in general. I cannot stress how much regular exercise (including strength training) can help you in this regard. I'm a believer in the concept that tying on your walking shoes, going out and getting some fresh air, sunshine - just basically MOVING - works wonders, not only in helping to lose weight, but in your overall mindset. If you're a newbie at exercise, may I suggest another book "Great Shape" by Pat Lyons and Debbie Burgard. This book (written in 1988) focuses on exercise for large sized women - not necessarily to lose weight, but just to feel good about themselves and get healthier (of course, losing weight is much more possible if you're exercising!)

Oops, just checked the clock - got to hit the shower. Keep posting and take care!
Old 05-22-2001, 03:36 PM   #67  

Hi MrsJim,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I do follow calories most days of the week and I set Sundays as my "day off". Here I thought I was the only one doing this LOL. The problem is my day off has just become tooo much freedom in eating. I have kept my 85pds off for the past 7 years and I think I am just getting lazy. You know how it is, just a little this and that, I have to remind myself that weight doesn't come on 5pds at a time, just 1/4 and 1/2 etc and before we know it you have 20 plus pounds to lose. Maybe what I am lacking is motivation. It is so true what you said about waiting till Sunday for your treat, it helps keep the week in check. I am just going to re- commit my diet habits and I am sure this problem will pass. I walk almost everyday of the week and use weights for upper arm strength 2-3 times a week. You are right when you say being out of the routine of the week allows to much free time, and lately I been spending it in the cupboards, I know better!! I am going to try and plan some activities for the weekends, it should be easier now that the weather has finally gotten nicer. Thanks again for the reply, sometimes you just need to be reminded of what needs to be done!!

Daytona
Old 05-24-2001, 07:11 AM   #68  

Default Good Morning All!

Things are still going well. I have been OP all week and have been exercising every night. I added a ten minute ab tape to my cardio workout. I could feel the burn immediately. I didn't do as many reps as the instructor, because I spent a lot of time trying to make sure I was doing them right. I hear you can really mess your back up if you don't do ab routines the correct way. I bought the "Quick Fix Abs, Julie Upton" tape. She is really good at explaining how each exercise is done and showing you exactly what muscles to move. I also added 2 pound hand weights to my cardio tape to get more resistance. I think I need to buy a few more tapes, so I can get a rotation going and not burnout on one tape.

Hope everyone is having a successful week!

231/209/170
Old 05-27-2001, 09:13 AM   #69  

Hi fellow calorie counters,

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing this weekend. I have managed to eat at a more sensible level and I have walked both days. I am down 1/2 pound so I just have to lose 1 1/2 more to be back to goal. That could take me a while. So far we have had rain everyday. The weather will probably improve when Tuesday comes LOL.

Have a good weekend.

Daytona
Old 05-27-2001, 09:16 AM   #70  

yay datona! i have lost almost 5 pounds in the last 3 days.
Old 05-27-2001, 12:45 PM   #71  

Default Huf and puf

Well, I lost a pound this week and begin to think I am starving myself to much.
Think I am missing out on some fiber foods or so.
Since March I started this diet and until today I have lost a total of 20lb.
Right now I am revaluating my program and figuring out why in the last two weeks
I have been feeling more hungry. Then again I am not so sure if I know what hungry pains are
it may be just stress telling me that I am hungry. I haven't walked for two days either and
have felt like crap lately for not walking.

Hope all are having a great memoral day weekend.

257/237/137
Old 05-27-2001, 01:18 PM   #72  

hang in there!
Old 05-28-2001, 08:33 PM   #73  
hot mom wanna be!

Default hello fellow calorie counters!

I posted here for a while but kind of "fell off the (calorie counting) wagon". I have lost 25 pounds and maintained that loss even though I wasn't really counting calories. I know I was in a way though because I found out through the internet how many calories are needed for me to maintain my weight and I try not to exceed that! I wasn't trying to lose but I didn't want to gain back the lost pounds either!!

Well, now I am getting back on track. I still have to lose 123 lbs to get to the top weight of the healthy weight range for my height 5'9. It's gonna be a long hard battle I am sure!

I am glad to be back and hope to be reporting the kinds of losses you all are.

Lorelei
313/288/165
Old 05-29-2001, 07:20 AM   #74  

Default congrats on 25 lbs down

hi lorelei, sounds like you have a good attitude about this way of eating, keep up the good frame of mind. i was on no diet approach, for over a month, and i lost but very slowly, i know that is the best way to lose it, but i also know i could do better. i know i am allowed 1400 cal. a day to lose at a safe and healthy weight loss.i dont like writing down stuff, so i have a richard simmons program, and i am just going to put the 1400 card in foodmover, and when all the windows are shut, then i would have eaten 1400 cal for the day. i tried this before, but was hungry, i will do it this time. i am 5'3 and weigh 183. i want to get down to 125. good luck to you. oh yea i started this on sat. i messed up on mon. but i am back on track today.
Old 05-29-2001, 07:27 AM   #75  

Good Morning!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! I lost two more pounds last week. I didn't really watch what I ate this past weekend. I didn't write anything down. I have to be a lot more careful this week. I always do better during the week, not just because I'm away from food at work. I think I do better because I have the support boards at work and I very seldom log on at home on the weekends.

I have to get back to exercising tonight. I have been "off" for the past four days.

Gotta go. Hope everyone has a successful day!!

231/207/170
Closed Thread