3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > General Diet Plans and Questions

General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

So about this low/no carb thing..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Doxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St.Cloud, Minnesota
Posts: 7

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 4'11"

Default So about this low/no carb thing..

I've done some reading online about my body shape.

I have an apple shaped female body, also known as Androgenic. Luckily, this fat is much easier to get rid of than the fat of a pear shaped woman. On the downside, the fat is much more dangerous. I gain weight like a man would gain wait, mostly in my face and stomach. My thighs are a bit chubby, but I definitely look like I have a beer belly and wouldn't be surprised if people often thought I was pregnant after a large meal.

Anyways, from what I've read I should cut out carbs. Dammit! That means all the "good" stuff is gone! It makes it really hard having to eat meat and vegetables all the time. What can I do? Should I be going to calorie counting route instead? I just don't know! I also thrive on routine, would it be beneficial to eat the same things every Monday, Tuesday and so on? Like a weekly meal plan?

Anyone with a similar body type feel free to post any advice you have. Can I have a cheat day where I can eat carbs? Are some carbs good? I'm so lost! I'm not sure if I put this in the right spot or not, either. Sorry!
Doxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Started IP May 17, 2013
 
Annik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 675

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default

I am doing the Ideal Protein diet -- one of the many different styles of low carb/moderate protein diets.

I thought that I would really struggle without the carbs. But if truth be told, I have fewer hunger pangs, a lot more mental clarity, generally feel happier ... for me it has been a form of liberation.

The object of low carb is to get your body into a state of ketosis (google ketogenic nutrition or ketosis). It takes a few days to get there but once you are through the door, the programme works for you.

'Cheating' throws your system out of ketosis... in other words it really defeats the purpose.

Through staying on track, this way of eating has done more good for me than any other way before. Although I won't be in 'phase 1' forever, I am working on adopting the concepts as part of my lifestyle.

Hope this helps!
__________________



w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Doxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St.Cloud, Minnesota
Posts: 7

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 4'11"

Default

I should mention I don't really have the money to do any fancy diet things where you have to have the meals delivered, etc.

I have the money to get groceries from the store and that's really it.
Doxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
skelley331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 933

S/C/G: 194/164/164

Height: 5'-6

Default

You best option would be to follow the Atkins Way, go to atkins.com and you can buy everything from the store, and you eat low carb, vegetables, fruits. There are 4 phases and it's free.
__________________



Joined MRC June 2012 first time
Started using fitbit flex on 10/10/13
Re-enrolled MRC Feb 2014
Hit my goal 6/7/14
skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
Jenn
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 130

S/C/G: 113/85/75

Default

I do dukan and have been very successful on it, never hungry, foods available from the supermarket etc. The book is helpful, but you can get the lists of allowed foods online easily, there are no supplements or special foods except oat bran that you need and it has a plan to follow through to stabilizing your weight loss.

After the first few days my energy levels went up, bloods are good and strangely my pear shaped body has tamed itself into being curvy but proportional for the first time ever! Oh and no loose skin yet!
Electro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Matisse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montréal, Canada
Posts: 305

S/C/G: 155/143/128

Height: 5'3.5"

Default

Or calorie-count and still eat carbs, although in lesser proportions than usual. I eat around 30 % of my caloric intake in proteins and I do not feel hunger much.

Studies which have matched proteins intake have seen very little difference between low-carb or low-fat.

Quote:
With minor variation (maybe a pound or two here or there), any differences in the total amount of weight loss or the composition of the weight lost (again this assumes adequate protein intake in the first place) are very minor. Rather, the majority (easiliy 90% or more) of the change can be attributed directly to the caloric intake of the diet. Macronutrient composition makes a tiny, approaching negligble difference.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...a-calorie.html

I would not trust the claims of "eating according to your body shape", but I would trust caloric balance. That's good and proven science.
__________________

Last edited by Matisse : 08-19-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Matisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Doxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: St.Cloud, Minnesota
Posts: 7

S/C/G: 180/180/150

Height: 4'11"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse View Post
Or calorie-count and still eat carbs, although in lesser proportions than usual. I eat around 30 % of my caloric intake in proteins and I do not feel hunger much.

Studies which have matched proteins intake have seen very little difference between low-carb or low-fat.


I would not trust the claims of "eating according to your body shape", but I would trust caloric balance. That's good and proven science.
Well, like I said I've done a lot of reading on the subject. My body accumulates a different kind of fat completely than a pear shaped woman. The fat my body accumulates is called Visceral fat, and there are easier and harder ways to get rid of it. A diet that works for a pear shaped woman wont necessarily work the same way for me.

Anyways, low carb and calorie counting sounds like a lot of work. Eggggh, I wish I could just find a diet that I can more easily stick to. It seems like there's carbs everywhere I look...

I should also mention I don't live alone so I can't always control what sort of food is in the fridge and pantry.
Doxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Jacqui_D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,908

S/C/G: 211/168/145

Height: 5'8"

Default

I am pear-shaped, although in recent years, I have put on belly fat. I am sort of following the Slow Carb Diet. Here's a thread I began a few weeks ago when I started this diet: The Slow Carb Diet. It explains what I'm doing. The reason I switched from calorie-counting to low carb is because of the insulin issues in my family and my own sensitivity to carbs. The diet has been really easy for me, I have a cheat day each week, and I've lost 14 lbs in a month, and that's the most I've lost in 4 years.
__________________
Current Attempt (Slow Carb Diet, started July 19, 2013) <> Previous Attempt (Calorie-Counting, 2009)

= 10 lbs lost; = 5 lbs lost:
MINI GOALS:
1. 196 lbs = "Overweight" BMI of 29.8 MET GOAL!!
2. 178 lbs = Lowest Weight in 13 years, BMI of 27.1 MET GOAL!!
3. 164 lbs = "Normal Weight" BMI of 24.9
4. 145 lbs = Goal Weight BMI of 22.0
MAINTENANCE GOAL:
Stay between 145 lbs and 155 lbs
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mariposssa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 404

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Default

Chris Powell from Extreme Makeover Weightloss has a low carb, carb cycling plan. He does have a book that came out and he has a lot of information on his website about carb cycling. With cycling plans you have days where you eat lower carb, but the next day you can eat more carbs. I have been doing a similar plan for about a year. The thing I really like about this plan is that I can always tell myself that tomorrow I can have that fruit, dark chocolate or reward meal. Here is a link to his site. http://chrispowell.com/carb-cycling-101/
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #10
Aloha nui loa
 
MauiKai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 674

S/C/G: 181/TKR/165

Height: 6'1"

Default

Doxy, this book has 2 super easy, very well laid out diets in it: http://www.amazon.com/Curves-Fitness...ds=curves+book

One is higher carb, one lower. I always thought it was like "dieting for dummies" and requires very little prep or thought into getting a good diet going.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Wannabeskinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 3,149

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'4"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doxy View Post
Well, like I said I've done a lot of reading on the subject. My body accumulates a different kind of fat completely than a pear shaped woman. The fat my body accumulates is called Visceral fat, and there are easier and harder ways to get rid of it. A diet that works for a pear shaped woman wont necessarily work the same way for me.

Anyways, low carb and calorie counting sounds like a lot of work. Eggggh, I wish I could just find a diet that I can more easily stick to. It seems like there's carbs everywhere I look...

I should also mention I don't live alone so I can't always control what sort of food is in the fridge and pantry.
Any shape is going to encounter difficulties. One is not "better" than the other and certainly do not require a different type of diet, I don't buy that at all. We are all humans, and eating has to do with the right stuff going in. That's all.

There's a world of difference between a no-carb diet and a low-carb diet. I wouldn't do a no-carb diet if you paid me a million dollars. Not that it's not a valid diet, it's just not right for me and no-carbs makes me just as crazy and miserable as a full-carb diet.

Being healthy is about eating good food, fresh food, not too many carbs, not too many fats, mostly vegetables and good fruits, some lean proteins and you're good to go. Portion size is the most important element of all of this. I use a combination of paleo-style eating, avoiding wheat 90% of the time, eating within a calorie range, and avoiding all sugar. I also do IF, and avoid snacking. Each of these is a diet method, but I've combined parts of all of them that work for me, and by doing this I'm able to stick to it. I prefer to call it a strategy rather than a diet.

You say you like routine. A lot of people find success in eating the same breakfast and same lunch every single day. This way you don't have to "think" about what you're going to eat and as long as those meals are nutritious then you shouldn't have a problem. I pretty much eat salad with grilled chicken or tuna every single day for lunch.
__________________


"Binging is a descent into a world where every restriction... is cut loose. At its core is a feeling of deprivation.. a feeling you can never get enough. Binges do not signify a lack of willpower or inability to care for yourself. On the contrary, binges are a urgent attempt to care for yourself when you feel uncared for. They are the voice of survival. Binges are the mark of the self that says, 'I am tired of feeling deprived, of being told I am wrong, that I am bad." - Geneen Roth

Last edited by Wannabeskinny : 08-20-2013 at 07:39 AM.
Wannabeskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #12
Started IP May 17, 2013
 
Annik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 675

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matisse;

Studies which have matched proteins intake have seen very little difference between low-carb or low-fat.



http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...a-calorie.html

I would not trust the claims of "eating according to your body shape", but I would trust caloric balance. That's good and proven science.
Good and proven science?

Thermodynamic Edge For Low Carbohydrate Diets: SUNY Downstate Researchers Say All Calories Are NOT Alike

In a paper published in Nutrition Journal (Open Access, available without subscription at http://www.nutritionj.com/home), two researchers from SUNY Downstate Medical Center show that low carbohydrate, high protein diets can be expected to be more effective than low fat diets, going against long standing prejudice of the nutritional community, which has claimed that only calories count.

(PRWEB) July 31, 2004 -- “There are numerous examples of low carbohydrate diets being more effective than low fat diets with the same number of calories. It doesn’t always happen but it can happen,” said Dr. Richard Feinman of the Department of Biochemistry. “The nutritional establishment has been reluctant to accept this, because they say it violates the law of thermodynamics. However, they never seriously look at the thermodynamics, which not only says its possible, but it is to be expected.” he added.

In their paper, Dr. Feinman and Dr. Eugene J. Fine explain that thermodynamics is as much about efficiency as it is about energy conservation. Carbohydrate is an efficient fuel, whereas protein is not. On a low carbohydrate/high protein diet, even though total energy is conserved, more energy is wasted as heat, a process known as thermogenesis. This energy comes from burning fat.

The researchers stress that “the human body is not a storage locker. It is a machine and the efficiency of the machine is controlled by hormones and enzymes. Carbohydrates increase insulin and other hormones that regulate enzymes, leading to storage rather than burning of fat.”

“Of course, people are different” said the authors, “but many people are sensitive to the effects of carbohydrates and for them, a low carb diet is going to work well.”

The practical point is that getting rid of the idea that “a calorie is a calorie” opens the door for serious research into what kind of diets will be most effective and which people will benefit most. “This is important,” they explain “because millions of people are seriously trying to lose weight on low carbohydrate diets, and instead of being given directions on the best way to do this, they have been largely discouraged by health professionals and self-appointed expert groups. The obesity epidemic is too important to allow this to happen.”

Note to editors/reporters: You can read the entire scientific paper by going to http://www.nutritionj.com/home and clicking on “Provisional PDF” at the bottom of the headline.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/7/prweb145415.htm
__________________
__________________



w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!

Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Just Me
 
nelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16,673

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
Good and proven science?

Thermodynamic Edge For Low Carbohydrate Diets: SUNY Downstate Researchers Say All Calories Are NOT Alike

In a paper published in Nutrition Journal (Open Access, available without subscription at http://www.nutritionj.com/home), two researchers from SUNY Downstate Medical Center show that low carbohydrate, high protein diets can be expected to be more effective than low fat diets, going against long standing prejudice of the nutritional community, which has claimed that only calories count.

(PRWEB) July 31, 2004 -- “There are numerous examples of low carbohydrate diets being more effective than low fat diets with the same number of calories. It doesn’t always happen but it can happen,” said Dr. Richard Feinman of the Department of Biochemistry. “The nutritional establishment has been reluctant to accept this, because they say it violates the law of thermodynamics. However, they never seriously look at the thermodynamics, which not only says its possible, but it is to be expected.” he added.

In their paper, Dr. Feinman and Dr. Eugene J. Fine explain that thermodynamics is as much about efficiency as it is about energy conservation. Carbohydrate is an efficient fuel, whereas protein is not. On a low carbohydrate/high protein diet, even though total energy is conserved, more energy is wasted as heat, a process known as thermogenesis. This energy comes from burning fat.

The researchers stress that “the human body is not a storage locker. It is a machine and the efficiency of the machine is controlled by hormones and enzymes. Carbohydrates increase insulin and other hormones that regulate enzymes, leading to storage rather than burning of fat.”

“Of course, people are different” said the authors, “but many people are sensitive to the effects of carbohydrates and for them, a low carb diet is going to work well.”

The practical point is that getting rid of the idea that “a calorie is a calorie” opens the door for serious research into what kind of diets will be most effective and which people will benefit most. “This is important,” they explain “because millions of people are seriously trying to lose weight on low carbohydrate diets, and instead of being given directions on the best way to do this, they have been largely discouraged by health professionals and self-appointed expert groups. The obesity epidemic is too important to allow this to happen.”

Note to editors/reporters: You can read the entire scientific paper by going to http://www.nutritionj.com/home and clicking on “Provisional PDF” at the bottom of the headline.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2004/7/prweb145415.htm
__________________

The difference in diets is really small, I'd rely on reading through some of the pubmed stuff from NIH versus a press release for a single study.

Basically, a lot of the studies show that in the short term low carb diets show a bigger scale loss (not necessarily fat loss) but in the long term, it evens out. What is more, is that the low carb diets tend to have fewer participants who stick through it in the long term. So if you want to lose fat, eat less, move more and find something that works best for you. If you have trouble sticking with low carb, then tweak it as in the long term, the studies show it doesn't matter.
__________________
You can't out-exercise poor eating habits.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
Started IP May 17, 2013
 
Annik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 675

S/C/G: 287/179/150

Height: 5'7.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
The difference in diets is really small, I'd rely on reading through some of the pubmed stuff from NIH versus a press release for a single study.

Basically, a lot of the studies show that in the short term low carb diets show a bigger scale loss (not necessarily fat loss) but in the long term, it evens out. What is more, is that the low carb diets tend to have fewer participants who stick through it in the long term. So if you want to lose fat, eat less, move more and find something that works best for you. If you have trouble sticking with low carb, then tweak it as in the long term, the studies show it doesn't matter.
This has not been my experience. For one thing, superior satiety with low carb/moderate protein (hands down!) means it is easier to stick to this way of nutrition.

I could share many more studies but this is a forum!

One of the best books I've seen -- written by a group of scientists -- is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (Volek and Phinney, et al)

The nutritional establishment -- like any establishment -- is resistant to new ideas.
__________________



w1: 11 lbs; w2: 4 lbs; w3: 3.6 lbs; w4: 5 lbs; w5: 5 lbs;w6: 2.4 lbs; w7: 1.4lbs; w8: 6lbs ; w9: 1lb w10: 4.6 lbs w11: 0lbs w12: 5 lbs; w13: 2 lbs w14: 4 lbs ; w15: no w.i.; w16: 11.5 lbs ; w17: 1 lb; w18: 2.5 lbs; w19: 2 lbs; w20: .5; w21: no w.i.; w22: 9 lbs; w23: 3.5 lbs ...

No longer morbidly obese! Total loss now = 108 lbs. With thanks to the Ideal Protein Diet (a form of ketogenic nutrition)!

Low carb life is my liberation!


Last edited by Annik : 08-20-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Annik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Just Me
 
nelie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 16,673

S/C/G: 364/202/182

Height: 5'6"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik View Post
This has not been my experience. For one thing, superior satiety with low carb/moderate protein (hands down!) means it is easier to stick to this way of nutrition.

I could share many more studies but this is a forum!

One of the best books I've seen -- written by a group of scientists -- is The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (Volek and Phinney, et al)

The nutritional establishment -- like any establishment -- is resistant to new ideas.
Well low carb isn't a new idea, it has been around for at least 40 years but I think what we've seen on this forum is people use a variety of ways to lose weight and maintain their weight.
__________________
You can't out-exercise poor eating habits.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
On a no carb diet and I have popcorn popped... MarStevens Weight Loss Support 61 10-17-2008 08:15 PM
have many of you lost a lot of weight w/out doing the low carb thing? mmkaa Weight Loss Support 52 09-21-2003 03:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2