General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 05:24 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Prevention Millennium Diet #94

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed
42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine.

go to prevention.com and put diet into the search engine and it will take you to the diet in another click or two

the website gives more details on the diet

Last edited by ledom; 08-10-2002 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:36 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Hi girls,

thought I'd get another thread started though I don't have much to report.

Diet and exercise are going well except I did have lunch out with D today. I will try to compensate with a light evening meal. I did crunches and leg lifts for my exercise today. I am looking forward to cooler days so that I can do some outdoor cardio in the form of hiking. I miss that.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:08 AM   #3  

Angry hey ledom,

Nothing new here except it's getting hot and steamy again...it's supposed to be in the 90's and humid the rest of the week. DH has a NASCAR race on this afternoon, so I'm heading down to the lake. Another of my cousins (he's the brother of the cousin I spend 2 weeks with) has been up on vacation with his family, and they are heading home today..so want to say good-bye and wish them a healthful winter.

Diet and exercise going ok. DH & I are up to walking 40 min. instead of 30. We're slowly getting there. I didn't lose any weight this week, but I'm trying to take my own advice to eat healthy, exercise, and think of weight loss as an extra bonus, plus not to weigh myself so much!

Hope you had a good lunch with your D.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:14 AM   #4  
Chick

Hey Alice,

I'm on my way to the lake too. My friends have rented a cabin for the week and I going out for the day. Hope you enjoy your day. Sounds like diet/exercise routine is going well. My lb. a day dropped off dramatically with me even gaining 1/2 lb., but you're right - we just have to keep fighting the good fight. If we maintain our good habits, good is sure to come from it. I did my video this a.m.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #5  

Default its me...

Hi girls! Sounds like there is an awful lot of lake "going" going on. I got home this afternoon...I will save the scale until tomorrow. We had a nice trip and are home for two weeks.

Weather here this week is supposed to be in the high 70's and a bit cloudy. That is ok. The garden looks like mostly Astilbes, daisies and Black Eyed Susans. Still haven't had a chance to walk through it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

I did walk every day though when we were on the trip. It was hot going.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:37 AM   #6  

Angry WELOME BACK JUDI!!!!

judi, it's nice to have you back. I hope that you humans and the doggies had a good time! Your weather sounds lovely, and your garden beautiful.

ledom, I hope that you had a good time with your friends at the lake yesterday. I actually got in swimming twice...which is a record for me. My cousin and his family left last night..so we got to say our good-byes. Summer is going by too..too fast.

DH & I are off for our walk early..it's supposted to be in the 90's again and humid. Dieting went well yesterday, but took the day off from exercising.

Take care and have a great day.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:44 AM   #7  
Chick

Default judi,

it is so good to have you home! Glad you had fun and good for you and your walking.

I got LOTS of exercise yesterday - I did my tape and I paddled about 3 hrs. But, I also had beer and let the diet go out the window. Boy, I am still suffering too. Was it worth it? It felt like it at the time, but a sleepless miserable night makes it feel less so. I think in 2 weeks my stomach has shrunk and it hurt to overeat. Well, back with it today.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:29 AM   #8  

Angry Hello there,

ledom, sometimes you have to do something non dieting. As long as the beer tasted good going down, to me it would be worth it. On Sun. I had 2 beers myself. I was down to the lake most of the day, and it was hard work trying to find a shady spot with my chair as the sun was making its way west.

judi, hope you are unwinding from your trip. How did the scale go? So far I haven't lost an ounce, I've been bouncing back and forth with the same 2 lb.

It's going to be another 90+ deg. day so I'll be heading on down to the lake later on. Take care and enjoy the day.
Old 08-13-2002, 10:33 AM   #9  
Chick

Default Good morning,

How are you guys doing today?

Yesterday was really busy, I went to work in the morning and had another little trip out of town in the afternoon. It was really hard to eat the right food, but I didn't have a lot of food so I felt as if I were heading back in the right direction. Today I am home so I hope to eat salad and fruit and veggies all day. After a prolonged spell of just not caring. I now seem to care a lot! I just, for once and for all, would like to get to a good size. I mind being overweight!

Well, it is such a struggle. D who is little and petite has gained a few summer pounds and all I can say to her is don't let it (your figure) get away from you because once it does it is so hard to get back. If only I had kept things in control when I was younger and it was easier!
Old 08-13-2002, 11:03 AM   #10  

Default scale

Same one pound gaining and losing for the last year. I think I am going to focus on losing 20 pounds and not think beyond that for now. I know I have to lose at least a 100 but 20 pounds will make my new clothes fit a lot better...so I am just going to think on that.

I am getting worried too because I don't want to wreck my health. I come from pretty hardy but undisciplined stock too...everyone has good health but ruins it through bad habits.

I have cut my wine drinking down to about 2-3 glasses a week instead of the 2 glasses in the evening. I don't seem to enjoy it as much anymore. Well, I am not going to lament that fact.

Yesterday I found the joy of bidding on ebay That is fun! Anyone buy stuff from there?

I have a nice stack of books to read too since I have come home.

I hope the weather is treating you girls kindly. It is quite pleasant here in the high 70's. I have a Bristol Fairy rose and it is doing really well this year, climbing on the garden fence and all!

So true about the figure Ledom! My regret exactly!!
Old 08-14-2002, 04:16 PM   #11  
Chick

Hey, what's everyone up to today. I am hosting bookclub at my house tonight to make up for last month. Sigh, can't believe I have had to get ready for this TWICE this summer, but at least I'm not sick as a dog today! Too many goodies in my house now. So far I have resisted, just get me through tonight! Hopefully I can send leftovers home with someone. Yesterday was good, I was back in control. I am seeing a little improvement both on the scale and in my toning. Just enough that I can tell, I'm sure no one else can, but it does help keep me motivated.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:55 PM   #12  

Thumbs down It's HOT! HOT! HOT!

It's in the mid 90's and humid. They are talking about poor air quality. They don't see any relief in sight. We've spent the afternoon down to the lake.

ledom, that's great you are doing go well. I've been doing well in the exercise dept. DH & I got in another 40 min. walk this morning. Last night I was dying for some fried clams, and that's what I had. I'm sure that undid everything good I did for myself. But...they were good!!! Have fun with your bookclub.

judi, that's a good idea to focus on losing 20 lb. at a time instead of focusing on the whole amount. When you do lose the 20 lb. treat yourself to something nice like a new outfit, or do something to pamper yourself. I have found that whenever I drink beer or wine every day, or even once a week after awhile I don't enjoy it at all. I have to be away from it for a good length of time before I enjoy it again. DH buys stuff from e-bay quite often. My one and only item I bought was a diet package.

I hope you enjoyed your day today.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:14 PM   #13  

Default down 3 lbs this week! :)

Well, I am happy and much more motivated by little weight loss. Congrats on the good work you are doing Ledom. Send the goodies home with some first (but go in the kitchen and scarf down a bunch first ...nah, just kidding...that is what I would do ...well, maybe I wouldn't I could suprise myself) Seriously, send them away with someone. If I bake anything I make sure the DH has a couple of servings in the evening and pack the rest into his lunch. I made a Marionberry bread pudding and did that myself...I only had one of those small Ziploc bowls for a serving.

Alice, I am sorry to hear that it is so hot there! You poor girl! How is Lacee coping? Yesterday the first leaves fell here.

Well, I have to go and do something around the place. Have a good one!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:45 PM   #14  
Chick

judi, Way to go girl!!! I am so pleased for you. I think I have done pretty decent damage control (though I did avoid the scale this a.m., I'll give myself a day or two). I had some goodies yesterday but did send plates of food home with my guests. Then a ravenous horde of teenages hit the house after bookclub and finished off the rest. My house is clean and I have 3 days of leisure ahead of me, I am taking my final rest days here before I head back to work next week. D and I will be heading to Memphis on Sun., 'til then I am reading, napping, exercising, that's it!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:01 PM   #15  

Angry Hi there!

judi, congratulations on your weight loss!!! Those 3 lb. are a good incentive. I'm sooooo happy for you!
I saw in the paper that it was hotter in NH than FL. It got to 101 deg. in Boston. We were "cool" at 95. They say no relief in sight until Mon. Lacee is doing very well...our A/C's are cranking so she's staying cool. When she's outside to do her duties, and do some sniffing, she starts panting in no time. It's weird, since it's so hot, some of our leaves are turning, and we noticed a few leaves on the ground also. Fall is just around the corner, and I for one can't wait!

ledom, I'm glad that you were able to get rid of the food from your bookclub meeting. That was great timing for the teenagers to arrive and finish the food off. Enjoy your leisure time before you have to go back to work. There is a couple who vacation here from AL. He's a prof. at the state college, I believe, and they left this morning, as he has to go back within the next couple of weeks too.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your day!
Closed Thread