General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #1  

Default Books

Anybody read anything good lately?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #2  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I read a cute mystery called "Size 12 is NOT fat" by Meg Cabot. I like mysteries although I read a wide range of fiction.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM   #3  
hara hachi bu

David Sedaris is awesome ... very funny.

Food/diet-related books - my favorite was "Thin People Don't Clean Their Plates".

I also recently read a book called "Generation T" about modifying t-shirts ... now that I've lost some weight, my too-big t-shirts can be modified.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #4  
Follow Me to Onederland!

S/C/G: 284~278~150

I'm stuck on anything by Patricia Cornwell right now...and recently I just finished reading the "Left Behind" series. I enjoyed it. I rarely read diet related material...except for the occasional magazine I pick up.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:27 PM   #5  
Fat-be-gone

I love Linda Howard right now. She does the thriller/suspense/romance books. I just re-read Shades of Twilight. Very good!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 01:32 PM   #6  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

David Sedaris is hilarious! Does he have anything new out? The last one I read was Dress your family in corduroy......

I read Linda Howard sometimes too. So many books, too little time....
Old 07-07-2006, 02:01 PM   #7  
Can't wait 2 be a goddess

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8

I dont know the author but the book is called "tell no one" its a great suspense/murder/mystery novel it had my head spinning in the first 2 chapters i love books that get me hooked and keep me there untill the end
Old 07-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #8  
No description available.

Water for Elephants...but I can't recall the author and I lent it out. Great read!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm big on mysteries with a bit of humor, or a bit of cooking.

Diane Mott Davidson does a great caterer/mystery series if you have an inner cook in you. And there was one book with all lowfat recipes - tied into the plot. They're really good, and the recipes are great for food inspiration.

For funny, try Janet Evanovich - the number series (one for the money is the first one - ten big ones is the last one I've read). Its a bounty hunter mystery series, but OH MY WORD are they funny. Very rarely does a book make me laugh at loud, but these never fail to. And they're very edge-of-your-seat kind of mysteries as well. I love them.

Patricia Cornwell is always good, too, and the letter series by Sue Grafton (A is for Alibi, R is for Ricochet, etc) are good mysterious page turners as well.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yeah, I think I just finished the January issue of American Baby. LOL

Although I have started Koontz's Velocity. But at the rate I get through reading material these days, I may finish it by 2008. In the meantime, we're anxiously awaiting Book III in the Koontz Frankenstein series. If you like the Frankenstein story, you'll LOVE these books. Let's just say they pick up where Frankenstein left off.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #11  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Janet Evanovich is good! Love her books and waiting for #12!

Here are the last ones read in the past month and a half:

Two Little Girls in Blue by Mary Higgins Clark-good
Perfect Nightmare by John Saul-very good
Marley and Me by John Grogan-good

Right now I am in the middle of A Girl's Best Friend by Kristin Billerbeck it's the second in a series of the Spa Girls Collection. Some light hearted reading about three friends who when having problems with life take a trip to a spa to figure things out.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 135/132/102

Height: 5'2"

My favorite genre of books is thriller/suspense. One book I recently read kept me guessing until the very end. It was phenomenal. It's called "The Anniversary" by Amy Gutman. If you like these types of books, then you really need to check this one out.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:15 PM   #13  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I've recently enjoyed "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #14  

I just finished "Hot Pink" by Susan Johnson-now I want to find other books she's written...it was a fun read-kinda smutty!

I also loved "Susanne's Diary for Nicholas" I can't get that book out of my head...I'd highly recommend getting this one!
Old 07-28-2006, 02:32 PM   #15  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse
"Memoirs of a Geisha" and "She's Come Undone"
Both of these are excellent!

I recently read The European Dream: How Europe's Vision of the Future Is Quietly Eclipsing the American Dream by Jeremy Rifkin. Excellent read!

Another good one (about women and the notion of romance) is Labyrinth of Desire: Women, Passion and Romantic Obsession by Rosemary Sullivan.
Closed Thread