General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM   #1  

Smile 10 random facts

Hi everyone
What are 10 random facts about yourself? I thought this could be a great way to learn some interesting things about fellow members. The facts don't have to be too personal, anything you'd be willing to share...

some facts about me:

1. I am the least artistic person you'll ever meet. Stick figures are as good as it gets and I would have an easier time explaining the color orange to a blind man than trying to draw something.

2. I am ambidextrous

3. I am deathly allergic to portabello mushrooms.

4. I don't know how to whistle

5. I am a high school biology teacher

6. The only college class I ever failed was asian cooking. There were 2 small fires involved. One was definitely not my fault. The other is debatable.

7. I would love to be fluent in a foreign language someday. I lived in the Netherlands for a year and the only dutch words I learned were yes, hello, bye, and I love you. I did however learn how to say "Now you've crossed the line you bag of schnitzel" and "excuse me sir can you help me carry my friend she had too much to drink" in perfect German during my time spent in Europe.

8. I am a member of the Lorquin entomology society. We get together once a month at a museum in Los Angeles and talk about bugs.

9. My favorite writer of all time is Voltaire

10. Right now I am in the process of reading 3 books simultaneously, writing one, keeping up with one of my blogs (while my other blog fades off into oblivion), and designing a website. In other words I completely lack focus. Its the bane of my existence.

I'd love to learn more about all of you
Old 06-17-2005, 10:03 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

1. I played clarinet in band for 7 years

2. I'm on page 76 of the year-end 2000 Teen People Trendspotters issue

3. I am an ex-journalist. When I was growing up, from the time I was about 6 til I turned 18, I wanted to be a meteorologist. I even did storm chasing for awhile with my dad. We were almost struck by lightning when I was in our front yard videotaping a storm north of our house up in Denton. I told my dad that the camera battery was getting low, so he went in the house and got the other one off the charger. As he was changing the batteries out, the lightning started getting closer, and all of a sudden, a bolt of lightning hit in the driveway of the house 2 driveways over from ours. My dad's like "Looks like it's time to get inside..." *LOL*

4. Most people say I look like Kate Dillon with shorter hair (I don't see it, but if they do, I'm not going to complain *LOL*)

5. I've been away from east Texas now for over 15 years, but I still have the accent - some people think I'm from the Carolinas *LOL*

6. I'm hoping to get chosen for Extreme Makeover. I submitted my audition tape and application back in March..haven't heard anything yet, but I'm not really holding my breath on it

7. Speaking of whistling, it's always bugged me that I can whistle, but not how some people do it with their fingers in their mouth like really loud. This one guy I graduated high school with, I think a deaf person could hear him whistle like that, he was so loud.

8. I'm the only one in my family that doesn't know how to play the domino game "42" or poker

9. I have panic attacks when the weather people on TV say that we may have severe weather near us. (*Note: you may find this ironic considering I once wanted to be a meteorologist, everyone in my family thinks it's crazy) My doctor has given me Xanax to take for it but it doesn't help much. My grandmother has a basement at her house 10 miles away, so I drive out to her house. A few years ago, we had a tornado touch down not even 1/2 mile from my house and I was home alone in our one-story house. My parents never really had a plan as to what we were supposed to do or where we were supposed to go if we ever had a tornado near us, and I was hyperventilating and freaking out. Once I found out my grandmother had a basement, if I know that the weather may get bad, I go to her house

10. My mother and I take part in the Relay for Life in Arlington every fall for the American Cancer Society
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #3  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

1. I've been playing the violin since I was six, and I took piano lessons from ages 7 to 15.

2. I took three years of Japanese in college, but when I went to Japan on a vacation, I couldn't figure out how to ask for directions. I did, however, learn how to talk about CO2 emissions and euthanasia in Japanese, they just skipped over the actually useful stuff.

3. I come from a family of lawyers, but I am not a lawyer, and my boyfriend comes from a family of doctors, but he is not a doctor. We both do computer science!

4. I love dogs. Like, way too much. When my bf and I see a dog walking down the street, we both are like "DOGGIE!!!" However, we don't have a dog. (because we live in an apartment and it's not allowed)

5. I love The View, but I almost never get to watch it unless I happen to be able to work from home some days. I think being a cohost on The View would be the best job ever.

6. My boyfriend and I have a lot of potty humor in our lives. We love to joke about poo and farts.

7. When I was really young (like 6 years old) I wanted to be a baker so I could eat lots of donuts.

8. Sometimes I think it would be the most awesome thing ever to live on a subsistence farm.

9. I could never figure out how to use bar soap. I showered without soap until they came out with poufs and shower gel. (I always used shampoo though!)

10. I hated onions for years, but now I like them!
Old 06-17-2005, 03:57 PM   #4  

1. I'm almost 30-years-old, have a wonderful job, am going back to school this fall to work on my MA and I STILL have no clue what I want to "do" with my life.

2, My favorite color is midnight blue, but I use up all the brown and black crayons first (I have to buy extra black and brown).

3. I really can't stand my childhood best friend and I usually avoid her calls.

4. I eat all the foods I like least first and save the ones I like best for last.

5. I love cats. I currently have 10, but I wish I had 100. Oddly enough, I'm allergic to some, but not all of them.

6. I'm afraid my children won't know my parents.

7. Sometimes (a lot of times) I wish I'd stayed broken up with my husband when he was my ex-boyfriend.

8. I was the first in my immediate family to go to college. I feel like people think I'm smarter than I actually am because of that.

9. I have a problem with organized religion and even more with televised religion. I rank TV evangilists just below lawyers.

10. I believe that we, as a nation, do not give our farmers, teachers and veterans the appreciation and respect they deserve.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:20 PM   #5  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

1. I'm a journalism student with a poli sci minor, but if there was a need for political scientists, thats what I would do instead.

2. I like cleaning other people's things, but not mine.

3. I used to hate it, but since arriving at college I love football.

4. I used to work at an automotive supply store for a year even though I don`t know anything about cars.

5. I used to be extremely liberal, but I dated a republican and now I'm just confused and moderate.

6. I love all books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Love in the Time of Cholera & 100 Years of Solitude are my favorites.

7. I still wear the jewelry everyday that my ex gave me even though we haven't been together since september and I've dated about 6 people in that time.

8. Listening to talk radio is a stress reliever when I'm driving.

9. I am a total slacker a lot of the time, but I have been on the dean's list for two years now.

10. I'm ashamed to admit that I watch a lot of reality tv and sometimes that is the highlight of my day.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:37 PM   #6  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

1. I am happily adopted. The only thing I wish I had is my medical history.

2. My favorite kind of meat is Ostrich. It pays to be in a weird mood once in a while at restaurants...

3. I don't have a driver's license. I passed driver's ed at 16, but was a passenger in four accidents in close succession. I lost all confidence and surrendered my license. I have no desire to start again, though.

4. My parents started teaching me to appreciate wine when I was 13. (Though, I think it was a ploy to teach me that there is no big deal about alcohol, so I wouldn't go crazy when I turned 21. It worked.)

5. I am a PC gamer, and easily get addicted to online role-playing games.

6. My husband and I met over the internet ten and a half years ago. (Things were quite different then.)

7. I never finished college. I have ADD and couldn't keep up with the pace of a regular college. Perhaps someday.

8. I dream of visiting as many National Parks as I can before I die.

9. I LOVE jigsaw puzzles

10. I'm chronically disorganized. No matter how hard I try, I can't maintain a clean home. I can GET it clean, but can't KEEP it clean. My mom would be ashamed...
Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #7  

Interesting stuff here!
Old 06-17-2005, 04:54 PM   #8  
Bye bye baby weight!!

S/C/G: 242/233/150

Height: 5'5"

1. I sing really well (had a scholarship from singing that paid for college)

2. When I wash my face in the shower, I hold the shower door handle with one hand. I do it just in case someone walks into the bathroom and tries to kill me while my eyes are closed. I can't really explain it, I've done it since I was little.

3. I taught myself how to juggle and whistle with my fingers. I was always so jealous of people who could do these things, so I spent an entire day practicing each thing and now I can do both, no problem!!

4. "My So Called Life" was my most favorite tv show EVER. It was only on for one season and disappeared without a trace but I still love it to this day.

5. I get nervous writing a check when the amount is for either 90 something or 40 something because I never remember if 90 has an e in it or if 40 has a u. See, I still didn't spell them out

6. I have always dreamed of writing a screenplay. I am a movie buff of sorts and I have a great idea for a movie.

7. Talking on the phone has always scared the crap out of me. My mom used to torture me and make me call to order pizza. It's funny because I've learned to deal with my nervousness (mostly because I have to talk to people on the phone most of the day) but I still feel a rush of panic everytime the phone rings.

8. My big sister has always said I smell like "sweet baby cotton". I don't know exactly what this smell is but everytime I see her and we hug, she takes a big whiff, sighs and says "oh, sweet baby cotton".

9. I cannot use a hula hoop

10. I have horrible cursive handwriting, it looks like I'm still in the 3rd grade
Old 06-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

1. I feel I am a moral person because even though I don't follow a morality structured by religion, I very very rarely do things I would be ashamed of later. However, I am ashamed of my weight and my body.

2. I'm proud of my job and what I've accomplished in my life with limited education, resources and money.

3. I love the taste of crab but hate the taste of lobster.

4. I'm not so much afraid of spiders as completely and utterly repulsed by them.

5. My dog makes me smile more than any other "person" I've met.

6. I still count on my fingers. I really really suck at math.

7. I've become one of those people that answer the cell phone at the dinner table. (I shall burn in a thousand hells of hypocrisy for this one)

8. I'd eat cat food before I'd eat Brussels spouts.

9. I was 11 before I could tie my own shoes.

10. If I had to kiss a girl it'd be Drew Barrymore.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

leannealise: I really really loved that show too! I'd do anything to get it on DVD.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #11  

leannealise: I always hate washing my face, too--for the same reason! I want to hug you now, to see how you smell

WastedThermos: One of my friends, to this day, thinks I love to wash dishes! Nope, just other peoples dishes--my sink is always full!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #12  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Leanne - I don't hold the shower door when I wash my face, but I look behind open doors every single time I enter a room because I have always been terrified that there is a murderer hiding behind the door!
Old 06-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #13  

Hi Leanne
your post reminded me of something I do and have done so as a child. When I lie in bed and put the covers on me I have to lift my legs and tuck the covers under my feet so if someone was hiding under my bed they would have a harder time grabbing my feet, they'd have to fiddle around with the covers first. I can't sleep if my feet are dangling loosely under blankets, the blankets must be wrapped under my feet like I'm in a makeshift cocoon. I also have a tendency to look under my bed every night before I go to sleep. Its an oddity...
Old 06-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #14  

• I always planned to be an archaeologist, ever since I knew what an archaeologist was. I read Howard Carter's book on opening King Tut's tomb when I was in the third grade and had to get special permission to check it out of the "big kid's section" in the school library. By the time I graduated college (took me 8 years because I had to stop twice and get a job and save up) I was too old and tired for 7 years of grad school.
  • I love Monty Python. Love love love love love. Love.
  • I am known as a repository of trivia. My family refuses to play Trivial Pursuit with me any more. A friend of mine used to say I had a "fact hump" (like a camel) for storing the stuff. I don't pursue it actively, I just retain odd bits of information.
  • All of my best, most long-lasting friendships and loves are people I clicked with IMMEDIATELY. I once fell for a guy REALLY hard in the space of 3 days. (OK, less than a single day really, but it took another 2-1/2 days for me to decide it was real.) It took me about 10 years to get over him.
  • The only time I ever camped out for concert tickets was for Sting. In December. Overnight. I was the first person in line. (And STILL only got 4th row!)
  • I lived for two summers in Guatemala as part of an archaeological project. I also took a trip to Israel and Egypt when a friend was posted in Tel Aviv.
  • I was conceived a couple of months before my parents' wedding. I didn't figure this out until I was a teenager.
  • I went to high school with Jeff Foxworthy. Yes, he was funny then, too.
  • I have a huge collection of books by and about members of the Algonquin Round Table, especially Dorothy Parker.
  • I stayed up all night the night before April Fool's Day my freshman year in college rigging all of my hallmate's doors to do something different when they opened it the next morning. On each door I left a typed slip of paper that said, "The April Jokester strikes again." On one door I left the note but didn't rig it with anything. She spent all day approaching her door v-e-r-y carefully.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:59 PM   #15  
Losing it!

What a neat idea!!!!!!

1. I'm friends with 4myself, in fact she invited me to this thread.

2. I am an artist, or at least try to create! I never knew what Oprah meant when she said find your passion. Painting is my passion...

3. I am a wife to my husband, mother to my children and caregiver to ailing parents.

4. I am a licensed cosmetologist and also did a 5-6 year stint grooming dogs.

5. My BEST friends include a group of amazing ladies I met and visit with on this site!!

6. I have been known to look behind shower curtains, in closets and under beds after returning home alone after an evening out.

7. I am a Hospice Volunteer and find it very rewarding.

8. I am a animal lover! I love cats but can't have one because of other family members being allergic to them. I hope to someday live on a farm so I can have goats, horses etc.

9. I like Sylvia Browne...I am so into trying to figure out my spirit guide and my purpose on earth. You will probably think I'm crazy, but I had a dear friend pass away 1 year ago and her picture keeps flipping over while all the others stay in place. It always happens after I dream about her or I see her husband...

10. I'm sitting here with medium ash brown hair color processing on my head. I decided why wait until I'm skinny, I am going to visit a spray tanning booth next week.

Thanks 4myself for pointing me here!!!
Closed Thread