General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 10:01 AM   #1  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Default What is your occupation?

There is such a diverse group of people around here, that I've been wondering . . . what do you all do for a living? (If you are a SAHM, but used to work, I'd be interested to hear what you used to do.)

Also, have you changed careers during your lifetime?

I'll answer first . . . I'm a graduate student in computer science. I'm in a PhD program but I think I'm going to leave with a master's after next year. No career change for me . . . yet! My dream is to eventually have some sort of small business that would be a dog biscuit bakery or something dog-related. Maybe in my retirement!
Old 06-14-2005, 10:23 AM   #2  

I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and History. I currently work for the United States Dept. of Agriculture as a Farm Loan Officer.

I've been living away from home, but I've recently moved back and I am returning to school to finish getting my Master of Arts degree in English. Maybe History after that
Old 06-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #3  

I have a BS in research statistics, gettting my PhD in Health Policy and Research (for Substance Abuse Policy)....

working as an analyst for Department of Health and Human Services in the District of Confusion here in washington

so like 4myself i am a government rat heheh
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #4  
Megan

S/C/G: 200/138/133

Height: 5'5"

hey, good questions

i have a BA in Communications and a BA in Economics (graduated from college in '03). I am a public relations executive specializing in high technology such as smart cards, biometrics, banking tech, logical and physical security, and some other stuff...
Old 06-14-2005, 11:14 AM   #5  

Hello fellow rat!

Does your boss know you're surfing the web @ work?

Nice to see ya here
Old 06-14-2005, 11:27 AM   #6  
Average White Girl

Default What I do.

I am an ABOC optician ( American board of optics certified). I also have an assoc. degree in graphic design.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 AM   #7  
Keeper of the Cheerios

S/C/G: 218/209/170

Height: 5'4

I'm a sahm and I have done home daycare in the past but not much beyond that. My dh is military, a lot of the time I am in a single parent role but fortunately I have never "had" to work.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:30 AM   #8  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

I couldn't really handle or afford college, unfortunately. I've been in library work for years. I started out as a shelving page, moved up to circulation for a few years, and this past January, I transferred to the technical services department where I work in Acquisitions. In effect, instead of checking out the books, I buy them.

Nothing glamorous or high paying, but I'm comfortable there, and I get by. I get along very well with my co-workers, and my boss is the most accomadating person I've ever met. I see myself here for a long time.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM   #9  

I'm a glorified babysitter
(a teacher)
In all seriousness I'm a high school biology teacher and I am thrilled to be out of the lab and hitting the beach for some relaxation time as we've just started summer break
Old 06-14-2005, 12:34 PM   #10  

4myself: ...come on i mean i am a bureaucrat, i need my two 15 min coffee breaks, hour lunch break and 8 hour only work day....i am the model of perfect inefficiency and uselessness...
Old 06-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #11  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I am an undergraduate studying Print Journalism and political science and I am currently an office assistant (ie, coffee and copies) at this really cool office thats associated with the university. I had been working retail to pay rent, but this job kind of fell in my lap. It is so much less stressful, and while the money isn`t great, I have a Lot of downtime [to browse the forums. ]
Old 06-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #12  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I'm making the transistion from student to full time worker! OUCH!

I've just completed a degree in Industrial Design Engineering and will be a Design Engineer for a charity called demand (dot org dot uk) who design bespoke products for disabled people. SCARY! I'm sure I will love it though!
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #13  

yume;

Ya, me too!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I'm a dental assistant I was mostly trained on the job a few years ago. I took most of the pre reqs for dental hygiene and plan on going back to school sometime to be a dental hygienist.

Right now, I'm working front desk at a dental office, where I'm occasionally I assist the Dr chairside.

~Liz
Old 06-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #15  
princessofdarkness

Talking

Greetings fellow earthlings

Education? SOTP U. That would be Seat of the Pants U. Skipped college and got married at 18. (that one's long gone!) (and that was a real education in itself.)
Profession? I'm a 27-year proud member of the deathcare profession, currently managing a cemetery, and am executive director for a deathcare educational/professional association.
Witty advice? "Men: Can't live with em, don't need em anyway."
Hobbies? Acquiring still more clothes on Ebay.
Weight loss saga? Yoyo for most of adult life. Joined WW January 2000. SLOWLY lost 85 pounds over 1 year 9 months. Also, slowly got rid of husband over two years. (this was husband number two). Have maintained weight loss AND husband loss. Helps not to have to cook for a family!

Now, let's hear more about you!
Closed Thread