General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #1  

Wink Is it important?

So I'm 20 and have lost 107 lb so far, still on my journey planning to lose more.. but my question is, is it important to share your weight loss when you're in the dating game (not talking about boyfriends, just dating stage) like when would be the right time to bring it up, or should you even bring it up at all?

Is it important to share your journey with love interests and if so, how soon is good enough?

Last edited by FrozenDreams; 12-10-2015 at 01:02 AM.
FrozenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220.2/197.4/142

Height: 5'7"

Nope. I have no reason to bring it up with someone I'm dating. That's what friends and acquaintances are for.

Well, maybe several years down the road. If he asks. Tactfully.

Otherwise, I feel it's just setting myself up for failure. If I share I've lost [x] pounds, and put a few back on at any point in the dating stage, he may assume it means I'm just one of the majority who regain all the weight lost (plus more) within a few years. And judge/bail based on that alone before having gotten to know me as a person/in any meaningful way. No thanks.

Especially when men I'm even interested in enough to want to date in the first place are very few and very far between.

Last edited by fetch; 12-10-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: verbage
fetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

With the years of tracking/measuring food, batch cooking, catering, interest in nutrition there is no way somebody wouldn't notice.

In general, I don't usually say "I lost XX" (I actually don't know how much) but I was a fat kid and I don't want to be a fat adult. My husband is well aware and I think I mentioned it in one of our first conversations. We both cook so much that it was a common interest and came up naturally.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #4  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Do you think Neville Longbottom shares such personal information?

Live your life looking forward, girl. Rock it. No regrets. Take no prisoners. Cliche. Cliche.

We're all looking for some support in this world, and you don't need any support from your dating partner in the weight loss area. You've already proven that you can do this all by yourself!

And when they bring out those childhood photos, laugh the loudest along with everyone else and exclaim how relieved you are that those juvenile hormones are all gone! (And think about Neville Longbottom--no one is hoping HE will stop being eye candy!)

(I don't know anything about that website up there--just found the px there)

You go, girl!
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #5  
Hello!

S/C/G: 215/168.4/159.8

Height: 5' 5"

No. I don't share it during the dating stage. But I don't hide my eating habits, and I freely admit my interest in my health. All in vague terms, of course. No one actually wants to hear that much about it in RL.

I barely talk about my weight loss with people I trust and have known for years and years, let alone a person I just started dating.

So, I guess don't go to lengths to hide it, but it doesn't need to be brought up. I also wouldn't compromise your eating/exercise either.

Congrats on your success so far! You've worked hard!

Last edited by Penny105; 12-10-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Penny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I always bring it up because I am proud of my lifestyle change. Besides it also gives me a good explanation behind my exercise and eating habits which are both out of the ordinary even for health-conscious individuals.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #7  

I don't think it's something that needs to be shared if you don't want to. I don't think there's anything wrong with sharing either. As another post said, it may be something you want to tell because it's a great accomplishment and you're proud of it. Anyway, I don't think there's any specific rule. It's not like it's a skeleton in your closet or a dirty secret that may effect a future relationship with the person if you didn't disclose it in the beginning

Last edited by Jenny_G; 01-05-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Back when I was still dating, I believe I told guys I dated because I wanted to.

I don't think it's one of those things you need to "come clean" about in a relationship. If you used to be overweight and you're not anymore, that's in the past and has nothing to do with the present or future. It's not the same as religious beliefs or the number of kids you want to have, which I believe are necessary to discuss if you are planning a future with someone.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 218/163,9/127

Height: 5'2

With my boyfriend now I kind of told him I lost weight, but not how much until more than a year in to our relationship. Because of eating disorders I was very skinny at some points, which I was fine telling. It was much harder telling him than I lost weight before how he saw me, than that i gained weight.
I hate talking about my weight with numbers or details with anyone though. I prefer to keep it vague..
Photosphere is offline   Reply With Quote