General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default J. Crew introduces 000 size

Ugh! What are they thinking!?!? http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/he...ile&cmpid=rss1
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #2  

That is ridiculous! I wish people wouldn't let brand name clothing tell them what size they should be, though.
2salads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #3  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I wish they'd chuck the whole thing and just tell us the key measurements of the clothes, like menswear. I really shouldn't have to take three sizes of the same item into the dressing room.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #4  
Le Petit Papillon

S/C/G: 169/165/139

Height: 5'5"

My cousin is naturally extremely thin and tall, and I think at one point needed a size smaller than the double zero.

I've known only two people in my life who would benefit from that and were still relatively healthy. I'm guessing it is aimed at unhealthy weights though.
LePetitPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #5  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

I guess it doesn't bother me. They claim that there are people, specifically in the Asian market, that need that size. If that's so, then who am I to say that they don't deserve the right size jeans just because it seems ridiculously small to me?

I so wish though that women's jeans were sized like men's. I should be able to go to the store and just say my waist is 33" and my inseam is 37", give me some pants!
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #6  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

I would imagine there is a much higher demand on the other side of the sizing spectrum (I think J. Crew only goes up to what, a 14 or 16?) I do agree that if there is a need, there is no problem with them fulfilling that need. But I also think it is pretty obvious that J. Crew and other similar stores and only interested in normal- to skinny-sized people shopping there.

At least they aren't as obvious about their discrimination as Abercrombie and Fitch :/

Last edited by nonameslob; 07-24-2014 at 09:14 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #7  
patpatpatpatpat

S/C/G: S: 89kg -- C: 78,8kg -- G 49kg

Height: 145 cm

well, there are people that are naturally that skinny. and have a hard time finding something that fits if they dont just want to shop kids stuff that is too short. I had a colleague like that once, and I saw what she ate. I guess she would like some of these clothes...
PatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: see ticker

I agree with MauiKai - I wish women's sizes were tied to an actual body measurement instead of simply ordered numbers. It is insane that I can wear a 10, 12 or 14 in different brands that are all essentially the same size but are all numbered differently.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #9  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

This doesn't bother me. Vanity sizing is out of control and it seems like it'll be impossible to put the genie back in the bottle. In the meantime, women who used to wear size 0 and haven't changed size have been running out of options that fit, save for shopping in the children's section.

ICUwishing - the crazy thing is that vanity sizing has come to men's wear, too. X no longer means X - it could mean that, or X + 1.5, or X + 2.... crazy.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #10  

I don't think its a big deal as long as at the end of the day there is a large variety of sizes, as long as vanity sizing doesn't get to our heads. They need to do a 000 anyways because they vanity size like crazy and 00 isn't really that small.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePetitPapillon View Post
My cousin is naturally extremely thin and tall, and I think at one point needed a size smaller than the double zero.

I've known only two people in my life who would benefit from that and were still relatively healthy. I'm guessing it is aimed at unhealthy weights though.
To be honset though if you are a small framed 5'0'' person, no way. I'm asian and a lot of asians love jcrew and many of them just have small frames and normal amount of body fat, with trouble getting skirts to fit. I think that jcrew is just thinking of that market - small boned short people because the 00 is not as small as other 00s that i have seen in other stores.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #12  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

I didn't know J. Crew was known for vanity sizing, I assumed they ran small. I'd be interested if there is a list somewhere of which stores have accurate sizing vs. which are vanity sized vs. stuff that runs small. I've been overweight for so long, I have no idea where I can shop these days and where I will be able to shop soon!

The thing that ticks me off, too, is even when they provide measurements for sizing, they are never correct. What's the point of a sizing chart if it's not going to be right?

Off topic, sorry, just has me thinking.

Last edited by nonameslob; 07-24-2014 at 11:08 AM.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Who cares what size other people are wearing? It's not a race to the bottom unless you make it one.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #14  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

nonameslob - I may be wrong, but I feel like the problem's become endemic -- nearly every one does it, and of course, they all do it a little differently. I don't know where one would begin to find "accurate" sizing anymore... a thrift store with 10-15 year old clothes, maybe? At some point, "normal" or "accurate" sizing is so unusual that that's no longer a helpful guide, either. :/ There's no good answer except to commit to endlessly trying things on and not taking any fit issues personally, because the entire garment industry's gone topsy turvy.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Who cares what size other people are wearing? It's not a race to the bottom unless you make it one.
I don't care what size other people care. Wha I do care about though is the fact that larger sizes are being phased out in stores like this and smaller sizes are being introduced. I remember I used to wear a lot of clothes from the Limited until they stopped carrying a size 14 and knowingly lost me as a customer. The more fashionable stores do seem to cater to smaller sizes and are pushing plus sizes out.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote