General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #16  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

I have more than one friend that runs an in-home daycare. Several are unlicensed (because they are under the legal limit for number of kids in order to have to be licensed), but they provide the best care I've seen. I was watching a friend's daughter in addition to my two kids for a short period of time so that her parents didn't have to put her into daycare.

Personally, I'd keep looking. And, consider the possibility of taking on other people's kids, too! I know it probably seems overwhelming since this is your first child, but the daytime stuff is easy and the parents come get them before the evening/nighttime stuff starts.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #17  
ugggg.....

when my kids were little a friend and I babysat for each other...my MIL..I would have NEVER trusted to watch my infants...

if you dont feel comfortable with your MIL and the daycare...trust your instincts...you will find someone better

I am a grandma of three boys...I have the oldest two every weekend whether my kids work or not, I am on the other side...I feel they dont want the responsibility on the weekend and now I dont have any me time...its work or grandkids...I love them but I wish my kids would grow up and realize they are parents sometimes...

Last edited by jules1216; 06-02-2011 at 07:39 PM.
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:10 PM   #18  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

My children (now 7 and 4) have done both: daycare part time and part time with both gmas. I still can't afford daycare all week, so I do 2-3x a week. I dont blame you for not trusting either source. I don't now how it is by you, but in PA we have a thing called keystone stars. It's an accreditation for the daycares through the state. There are also different things you can apply for for funds, though they're not always to get. (We always make too much in theory). I would also check around churches. I know ppl who have had luck with small daycare programs that are cheaper, especially if you help volunteer when possible.

Good luck
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #19  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

Hi GuamVixen! It's been a while since we chatted! I definitely understand what you are going through, DS stays with my MIL 4 full days of the week, and sometimes it's rough on me, but if I had to choose, I would keep him with her. She is talking about moving to FL in February, and if so I will need to find a daycare for him at that point, but right now I'd rather him be with her. She adores him, even if sometimes there is a little tension between us.
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #20  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i agree with the others...neither option sounds very good to me...that daycare sounds very unsafe...i manage a state-licensed childcare program for elementary students during the school years and i have to meet all those licensing requirements...one thing i wanted to mention, parents and relatives (approved by the parent of course) as well as state child protective staff and foster families are encouraged and allowed to visit our program whenever they want to...we encourage parental (and others) involvement and love it when someone "drops by" to see their child....because me and my staff know these people, we don't stop them or ask to check their ID every time they show up....i can see how, to someone else, it might look like we have "unknown strangers" wandering in and out....however no one can take a child from our program and leave with them unless we have specific permission from their parent/guardian (unless it's by court order - yes we have ALOT of foster situations)

during the summer months, i do childcare at home for some of the students that i see during the winter months at work...i only take a few, typically the ones who won't function well in the extra-large summer program setting that my work offers....i dont work summers for work, though, as i have a 10-month contract, not 12-month...i am not licensed for home childcare, it's not worth the time and hassle when i'm only open 2 months out of the year...i am an approved provider for the native corporation here, who provides childcare assistance for low-income native families, and another families pay me full price without assistance for themselves

i chose not to do home childcare full time because i want my raises at work, i am paid very well at work, i want my retirement 401(k), i want my health insurance for me and my kids, i want to be around adult co-workers and i want the professional growth that comes with conferences etc at my work
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote