General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #1  

Default Because they were jealous...I don't believe that

A facebook friend of mine posted tonight that she went shopping (women plus size speciality shop) and there were "skinny" women there "just to make fun of the plus size women"...

Now I wasn't there, and while I have little faith in humanity at times, it boggles my mind that adults could do this. I do believe her, it just further lowers my feeling towards some people and how cruel they can be. Good thing I wasn't there, because I make no excuses about being an aggressive person and it would have gotten real in there! ...anyway...

Several people responded to her status, and of course there were the people that said (because we've all heard this about bullies) that they are jealous of my friend's "curves" (she's about 100 lbs over weight, but she has been working on losing weight)...

Ignorant? Yes ..Cruel? Yes... Immature? Yes... A disgusting display of pathetic people? Yes!! But jealous?...I highly doubt it. I'm not just saying its because she's over weight. I think 99% of the time when people "make fun of" someone, its not because they are jealous...Even I don't think people in the past (the school years) that made fun of me did it because they were jealous. They made fun of me because they got some pleasure out of being hurtful towards others.

Where did this jealous thing come from??

Do you think these skinny girls were jealous or just @$$holes?
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

So what apparently did the skinny women do?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

My vote is for *******s with extremely low self-esteem who have nothing better to do but to go to a plus-size store and make fun of people to get their self-esteem boost for the day. When you feel good about yourself you don't have the inclination to make fun of other people, IMO.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #4  

kaonashi, I agree. Nelie, she never went into detail, she just said made fun off...
Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Yeah, I don't buy the jealous thing either. While that can sometimes be a motivation for peoples' behavior, more likely it was just general self-esteem problems and their need to feel superior to someone else. (I think this is the root of a lot of different kinds of hatred and bigotry, actually.)
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #6  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

"They made fun of me because they got some pleasure out of being hurtful towards others."

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Contrary to popular belief, most bullies actually have an INFLATED sense of self-esteem. They actually believe they are superior to others. It's really like being a low level sociopath. They don't feel bad about their actions becaue they don't care about your feelings. Thankfully, a lot of them "grow out of it" when they become adults. The real world hits them in the face and they learn they are not as special as they had once thought. Of course many don't, as evidenced by these women at the plus sized store. Though one has to wonder if it ever occured to them how lame it is that they don't have anything better to do with their time...

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 04-16-2011 at 12:30 AM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonashi View Post
My vote is for *******s with extremely low self-esteem who have nothing better to do but to go to a plus-size store and make fun of people to get their self-esteem boost for the day. When you feel good about yourself you don't have the inclination to make fun of other people, IMO.
I vote "arsewholes", too, but I question the low self esteem part. I feel like the low self esteem excuse gets over used. Perhaps they are feeling underappreciated or unrewarded for their size but they may have lashed out because they are over esteemed. Just a thought.

I cannot believe in this day and age that that happened. What a bunch of twits.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Unless they actually said something hurtful, it's possible they were neither. I know I'm pretty sensitive about my size, and it's possible that the skinny girls had some legit reason for being there but your friend resented their infringement into territory she normally considers safe.

In my experience, people DO grow up and don't actively try to hurt other beyond high school.
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernExposure View Post
"They made fun of me because they got some pleasure out of being hurtful towards others."

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Contrary to popular belief, most bullies actually have an INFLATED sense of self-esteem. They actually believe they are superior to others. It's really like being a low level sociopath. They don't feel bad about their actions becaue they don't care about your feelings. Thankfully, a lot of them "grow out of it" when they become adults. The real world hits them in the face and they learn they are not as special as they had once thought. Of course many don't, as evidenced by these women at the plus sized store. Though one has to wonder if it ever occured to them how lame it is that they don't have anything better to do with their time...
I never knew that. I'm definitely no pysch major.
I just can't believe no one in the store said anything. I didn't ask her any details, I only know what she posted on facebook. Why don't these types of people every cross my path? I must give off some wicked body language. I know my friend is a bit more mild manored. Bullies know how to take advantage of less assertive / aggressive people. Sad.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #10  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

'Bullies know how to take advantage of less assertive / aggressive people. Sad."

Right again. Certain people just seem to be natural "victims." And yes, the bullies seem to have some sort of victim radar.

Zoodoo also brings up a good point. I don't know what these women were saying/doing, but I suppose it IS possible they weren't there just to "make fun of' people. Maybe they were there to buy a gift for a larger friend? Perhaps their being in and reacting to unfamiliar territory while also being oblivious to people around them could have been misinterpreted as malice when perhaps it wasn't meant as such. If you've never been overweight and never been in a plus sized store, I can imagine that everything would seem strange and/or funny. Looking at a huge pair of jeans might make you laugh or say OMG! Of course someone SHOPPING for that huge pair of jeans would see that as a reflection on themselves, when in reality the women were reacting to the JEANS, not the other people shopping in the store. Just a thought.

Edit: that's not to say they should be excused for that kind of behavior. It is still insensitive and immature to react that way (especially while you're still IN the store.) But I know when I was biggger I had days I assumed everyone was staring at me, judging me and making fun of me. In reality, I'm sure most of them were going about their own business and not giving me a second thought, lol.

Last edited by NorthernExposure; 04-16-2011 at 09:36 AM.
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I think some people are paranoid and see offensive behavior where there isn't any. If the same person is always running across "offenders" then it's probably more in their heads than reality.

As for why people would do stuff like that? I read something recently about how bullying actually feels good to the bully. It makes them feel powerful, they get a laugh. If they're feeling bad, it feels good to bring someone down to their level.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
I vote "arsewholes", too, but I question the low self esteem part. I feel like the low self esteem excuse gets over used. Perhaps they are feeling underappreciated or unrewarded for their size but they may have lashed out because they are over esteemed. Just a thought.

I cannot believe in this day and age that that happened. What a bunch of twits.
This is true too. People with superiority complexes are the devil! But it always comes back to boosting your self-esteem at the expense of someone else. Otherwise, what's the profit in it?

It took me a long time to realize that some people simply don't mature past junior high, and as a result I'm in a permanent "You said what? Oh." frame of mind whenever I'm confronted with such people. I tend to be very sensitive and was spending waaaay too much time internalizing other people's ignorance to the point that it was hurting ME, not them. Now I refuse to let people like that rent space in my head. Garbage in, garbage out.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

I've been hearing more of the "jealous" thing lately. People can be cruel about weight but I highly doubt it's out of jealousy. Seems like people want to attribute anything they don't like to jealousy anymore.

On another site I was on a girl asked for her pic to be rated and I gave her a low rating (and explained my reasons) because she's pretty but the makeup was caked on. She drew her eyebrows on thin and above her actual brow line and had an unflattering shade of eyeshadow from her lids to her eyebrow line. I told her less makeup and a different shade would help but she automatically was calling me a "hater" and that I was jealous...I was like really? If I was trying to be mean I'd tell her she looked like a creepy clown D: I suppose a lot of people just like to call things jealousy to make themselves feel better. (sorry for rambling)
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

As a social psychologist I know that self-esteem is notoriously hard to measure. There's a concern that when asked about self-esteem that a number of people give scores that make their scores high, but that those scores are actually inflated because of social desirability effects (people want themselves and others to think they have high self-esteem).

I honestly don't think people who have a both a healthy and secure sense of their self-worth develop it by putting others down. But I may be wrong...
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

Heather, I think you're right. It's not a healthy and truly secure sense of self-worth at all. I personally think it's kind of a front...I just wonder if anyone that act's like they're that confident actually truly feels that way. It'd be wonderful for them though to be that confident. I've been told by people that I seem so confident and secure with myself (one girl actually said she was jealous of that!) and it just floors me because I'm so horribly insecure it messes with my mind every moment of the day. I think for some people (like me) it's a self-defense (probably the wrong term, sorry) thing where I put off an air of confidence that I rarely truly feel.
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote