General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #1  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Default "Bodies" exhibit

I went to this when I was in Vancouver in October . . . to be honest I was very "meh" about it.

Im taking my cousin to see it here in Winnipeg, she is fascinated by the idea of it.

Been talking to some people at work and getting their reactions about it, I find it interesting how many different opinions people have about it.

I'm not trying to debate the 'is it moral or not, right or wrong' aspect, just wondering what anyone else's thoughts were who had seen the exhibit themselves.

I seem to be the only one I know of who was indifferent to it, kind of wondering if it is just me.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM   #2  
nofailingallowed

Location: i live out in the middle of no where, but I love it :)

S/C/G: 290/267/150

Height: 5'7"

Im soo jealous that you're going to see it! Im a Massage therapist and I would love to see an exhibit like that because of the muscles and such. I personally haven't gotten to see it (though Im determined someday to do it) but I do know a good amount of people that have seen it and loved it. And I completely understand being indifferent about it. Just try to look at it as a learning experience and scientific. We wouldnt know half the things we know these days if it weren't for cadavers in the medical field. So have fun!
ssej26jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

I went a few years ago and loved it.....for the first hour. It was sooo big and sooo many people that after awhile I was over it. But I am glad I went and would recommend it for anybody that had an interest.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #4  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

"Bodies… The Exhibition" was recently in my town. I'm an anatomy and physiology student (going into nursing) so I'm sure I would have found the exhibit interesting, but I decided to opt out because of ethical concerns. The cadavers in that particular exhibit are from China and there is no documentation regarding the consent of the deceased or their families for the remains to be used in this way (commercially exhibited for entertainment and profit). I have some access to 2 prosected cadavers at school, so I've had the opportunity to do some "up close and personal" learning that way and I know that the bodies were legitimately donated for that purpose.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I went to see a similar exhibit, if not the same one, in Kitchener in the Spring of 2010 with my Mom and 2 of my Aunts. I found it fascinating. It was however a little unnerving knowing that they were actual humans. It's one thing reading about anatomy in books or seeing it on tv, in the case of the surgery shows, but to to actually see what we look like (more or less, I know the preservation process changes the look some) is nothing short of amazing. I was however surprised how many people brought their small children to the exhibit.
I'm more into anthropology and artifacts when it comes to museums, case in point, the best exhibit I ever saw was Eternal Egypt a few years back, it was on loan from the British Musuem. Absolutely spectacular.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #6  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCutie View Post
I went to see a similar exhibit, if not the same one, in Kitchener in the Spring of 2010 with my Mom and 2 of my Aunts. I found it fascinating. It was however a little unnerving knowing that they were actual humans. It's one thing reading about anatomy in books or seeing it on tv, in the case of the surgery shows, but to to actually see what we look like (more or less, I know the preservation process changes the look some) is nothing short of amazing. I was however surprised how many people brought their small children to the exhibit.
I'm more into anthropology and artifacts when it comes to museums, case in point, the best exhibit I ever saw was Eternal Egypt a few years back, it was on loan from the British Musuem. Absolutely spectacular.
I think that would have interested me more - the Eternal Egypt exhibit. That I find fascinating.
UI've seen cadavers in medical schools, bodies in the morgue, countless open wounds in ER's . . . maybe thats the reason I was meh.
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #7  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I saw it in Denver. I thought it was interesting, but surreal. It didn't really HIT me until the very end that they were real people, and not synthetic. And then I found myself...sad? Almost? Not because they were out there for the world to see - but because some were positioned in loving embraces with others, and I wondered if the people knew eachother, or if they were strangers (which I assumed they were) just placed together for the sake of an exhibit. Part of me wondered if it would have made them sad to know after their death they'd be in a loving embrace for seemingly eternity with someone who wasn't their parter through their life, and the other part thought, well, maybe it'd be nice to know your body has company and you're literally never alone. And THEN I thought, Well crap - what if the people were total opposites... like a big game poacher and a PETA activist! That would be TERRIBLE!

So... my reaction had way less to do with the "body" part of it, and more to do with who the bodies once belonged to. I wish that they'd had weights and ages of the cadavers just so you could get an idea of what the bone structures and such would look like as people age, and the impact of weight on muscles or joints - yada yada.

.... I also feel like I should add that I'm a social science major... lol.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I saw it in Vegas and again in Salt Lake City. It would appear I enjoyed it.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #9  

I saw this twice years ago, when I was still a nursing student. I loved it, purely from a scientific perspective.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #10  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

I saw it in Chicago a few years ago. I thought it was fascinating (although I'm a wicked science nerd ). I actually expected it to be more freaked out by it than I was, mainly because, like Eskinomad said, I kept thinking about the people who used to inhabit the bodies. But I guess I just figured they'd moved on.

I remember being really annoyed with this one lady who kept poking at the bodies, though. Hello, not allowed.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote