General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I must be really self absorbed, because it has never even occurred to me to notice what other people are buying. It's also never occurred to me that others may be paying attention to what I'm buying and perhaps even judging me because of it. To each their own I guess.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #47  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

The only time I notice shopping carts is if there's a single guy in front me. You can spot their carts a mile away
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #48  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I'm usually in a zone when I'm in a grocery store, too busy wondering what I should be getting (since I lack the list thing...) and the only time I notice anything and perk up from it is if a hot guy walks by, then I look in the cart because you can usually tell if he's a bachalor by what he eats or if he has a wife or something. Even at the front cash if it's a long wait I pick up a magazine and read it, I really don't bother looking at other peoples carts unless I need a new idea for dinner and like to see what they got going on.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #49  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Second of all, I have been known to eat food in the store. I just take the wrapper or package with me and have them ring it up at the checkout. If it's fruit, I could weigh it on the scale in the produce dept. and keep the little label that identifies it for the checkout. It's only stealing if you don't pay for it.

Jay

This. It's never even occurred to me that it might occur to someone else that I might be "stealing" food if I give my kid a bakery snack or some such while we shop. I always tell the cashier and pay for it.

I tend to mind my own business and assume other people mind their own. Who knew?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #50  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Cultural differences.

I find it odd that people eat in the street. Eating *in* the supermarket, well, I can't understand it at all!

It's how I was brought up. Interestingly, I've discarded quite a lot of those attitudes but I keep most of the food-related ones.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 154/see ticker/114

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
I have been guilty of seeing people buying gigantic bags of Twinkies and thinking "aaaand that's why you're fat," but I think everyone has done that.
This, except we don't have twinkies over here xD

I'm also guilty of judging parents with kids who are piling their trolleys high with crap food, like crisps, sweets and microwave meals ONLY, with nothing of any nutritional value in there at all.

Does that make me bad? >.>
Flamethrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #52  
ugggg.....

ok as I laugh at myself...I thought this thread was going to be about my compulsion to group things in the cart...then later on the belt at the register to go into the proper bags.....drives me nuts when hubby is with me cause he messes up my orderly cart....

hahahha..now I feel really ocd....

Merry Christmas everyone!!
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:56 PM   #53  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules1216 View Post
ok as I laugh at myself...I thought this thread was going to be about my compulsion to group things in the cart...then later on the belt at the register to go into the proper bags.....drives me nuts when hubby is with me cause he messes up my orderly cart....

hahahha..now I feel really ocd....

Merry Christmas everyone!!
I do the exact same thing! Everything has to be properly arranged...
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #54  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaM View Post
I never look and I don't see anybody looking in my cart. I have a question, why would you keep telling somebody the "junk" food was your husband's? I know it was to deflect anybody thinking you were eating it but why point out his so- called "bad" habits?
Because eating junk food is seen as a man's prerogative to eat junk food. Unless he's positively corpulent, it's seen as a quirk: it's good for a man to be trim and in shape, but he's not bad if he isn't. In a woman, however, eating junk food is seen as degenerate, a character flaw, a reflection of the sort of person she is on a deep level.

This isn't fair, but it seems to be the way it is. It goes all the way back to the 19th century and the idea of the woman as the "angel of the house". As women, we are responsible for the moral, physical, and emotional health of those around us.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #55  

The only time my grocery cart had way more junk food in it than I would normally buy, is when my teenage daughter added things to it. If I didn't let her add stuff, she would use her paycheck up eating out then need gas money or just not eat at all.

Since that year, she's gone back to eating healthier. It might have been part of teenage rebellion.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #56  

But someone else's "junk food" may be someone else's WOE. Someone may look askance at my cheese and cream and Greek yogurt, while someone else would look askance at the mini cookie or pretzel packs. It's all a matter of perspective.

Even my daughter's Annie's Organic Macaroni and Cheese, I consider somewhat unhealthy. But I know others disagree with that assessment.
deetermined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:53 PM   #57  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I am guilty of looking in other peoples carts. I don't really judge, I guess I'm just nosy.

My carts, well, I have the good stuff for DH and I, but as he does not have a weight problem, my cart also includes some of the junk foods he likes in his lunch box. Chips and mini Snickers, mostly and of course the beloved Mountain Dew.

As far as eating in the grocery store, the other day I was starving and had gotten some turkey lunch meat at the deli in WM. Since the sack is weighed and marked at the deli, I did eat a couple of slices while I finished my shopping.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:09 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Eating in the store doesn't bother me it's eating and not paying. I recently opened a box of kleenex and used a couple but I had the box so the checker could charge me. I have seen parents giving their kids bananas out of the display, one banana is not marked and they are sold by weight, I have never seen a checker weigh a banana peel. I have also seen mothers giving their kids donuts out of the bakery case, donuts are not marked either, I am sorry to be dubious but I don't think they get paid for at the checkout stand. You might guess this is a pet peeve of mine.

Last edited by bargoo; 12-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM   #59  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Eating in the store doesn't bother me it's eating and not paying. I recently opened a box of kleenex and used a couple but I had the box so the checker could charge me. I have seen parents giving their kids bananas out of the display, one banana is not marked and they are sold by weight, I have never seen a checker weigh a banana peel. I have also seen mothers giving their kids donuts out of the bakery case, donuts are not marked either, I am sorry to be dubious but I don't think they get paid for at the checkout stand. You might guess this is a pet peeve of mine.
actully...I have weighed items at the salad bar, put the sticker on the bottom and let my grandson munch while I finish shopping...
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 AM   #60  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Why assume the worst about people? If my younger kid eats an apple, I take an extra one to be weighed at checkout and send my older kid back to the produce to put it back after it's been weighed and charged for. If it's a doughnut, I tell the clerk there were "x" number of doughnuts. I've yet to meet a clerk who doesn't know the code for the doughnuts.

Do some people steal food? Probably. But not everyone. In fact, probably not even most people. Of course, I tend to be optimistic and assume--and practice--good will and honesty.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote