General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #16  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

When I quit smoking in July, I inhaled food for the next couple of weeks. I'm sure other people saw a fat chick with a cart full of Cheez-its, but I saw someone who had the strength of will to stop a thirty-year, three-pack-a-day habit cold.

I didn't notice anyone judging my cart then. It's probably a good thing I didn't, because I was one cranky broad at the time and would have flown down the throat of anyone who crooked an eyebrow wrong at me.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #17  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

<---- (Is thinking that a lot of 3FC members are going mental...)

Don't worry. Someday when you are all grown up you'll look back at these years and realize that what you wore to the prom and how your shopping cart compared to others' is just not important in the greater scheme of things...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #18  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

I just buy healthy stuff, and send DH out to the store alone when we're out of chips. Oh, and I ask him buy tampons, too. Any man can buy diamonds, but it takes a truly-in-love husband to suffer the indignity of standing in line with a box of tampons.

(Yes, I'm kidding. Well, except for about the tampons.)

b. strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #19  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Oh, and I ask him buy tampons, too. Any man can buy diamonds, but it takes a truly-in-love husband to suffer the indignity of standing in line with a box of tampons.

(Yes, I'm kidding. Well, except for about the tampons.)

b. strong,
Kim

Yes. Now veering OT, but when I had my first kiddo, I had no clue about anything. And my milk came in. And my bras didn't fit. And I was crying and hurting and DH (bless his heart) went to Wal-Mart and bought me a bra. Of course his selection missed the mark, but it was very sweet. We were pretty clueless back then. He tried.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #20  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Haha, I hope I didn't vilify myself too badly I wrote this thread with the sole purpose of confessing something that I'm not proud of.

And no, I won't judge somebody if they have a bag of Doritos or something. But like Ashley777 said, it's the extreme, and frankly obvious, situations where I catch myself judging. Obese children and parents with a cart load of garbage. The obese woman I saw today with a ridiculously full cart of junk and the case of Diet Coke. It's just the way the human mind works...I see a situation that stands out from the norm in the environment (a cart towering with candy, cookies, chips, Little Debbie cakes, etc...above and beyond the normal amount of junky snacks) and I see the other half of the situation, an obese person or family. The human mind will make connections, I see a result (obese person) and connect it with a cause (cart full of junk). It's my unfortunate human nature to fill in the blanks with judgements and assumptions. Because logically, I KNOW that I have neither the right nor sufficient information to make any kind of assessment about these people that I see. What they're like, what they eat, their health, why they're buying what they buy...nor is it any of my concern. I know this, and whenever a judgement unconcsciously pops into my head, the conscious side of my brain sends a reminder that it's none of my beeswax, hehe.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I'm guilty of it too. If I see a skinny woman buying nothing but junk food I think she must be one of the lucky ones who can eat whatever and stay thin, if I see an obese person buying junk food I just think "why??" and then when I see people with kids just buying junk food and sugary juices you can tell is for the kids I feel kinda bad and wonder why the parents are buying so much junk food for the kids and no fruits, vegetables or healthier stuff.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #22  

Height: 5'5"

I never look and I don't see anybody looking in my cart. I have a question, why would you keep telling somebody the "junk" food was your husband's? I know it was to deflect anybody thinking you were eating it but why point out his so- called "bad" habits?
PaulaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #23  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Sometimes I go to our local Ralphs/Krogers on Wednesday when the sales start. I will load my cart with 10 mac and cheese boxes ~ 10 spaghetti-o varieties ~ 10 peanut butter and such....none of it for me....all for the pantry for the hungry at our church.

It cracks me up...and at the same time embarrasses me on what people may be thinking.....that's life

Looks even worse if I throw a 30 pack of Budweiser in there too!

Now, THAT, is mine
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #24  
Here for the party

S/C/G: 187/108

Height: 5'5.5

You know, it wasn't until I read this thread that I realised that I don't really pay much attention to other people's carts at all. Sure, I'll notice the fact that they have lots of stuff in their cart, so it'll be a while, or not so much, so it's almost my turn, but I just don't pay it much attention, much less judge it.

It's different than other times I lost weight, though. Before, I really seemed to care about what was in my cart, what other people would think about it, and I looked at other people's carts, and was sometimes judgmental about it.

But now, it's different, probably for 2 reasons. One, I'm thin, and I know I'm thin, and when I went to the doctor the week before last, all my labs were in order, so my body is doing just fine. Whether I have all organic produce in my cart, or all junk food, I'm healthy, thin, and attractive, and I know that I represent where some people are trying to get, and I have nothing to be ashamed of. I can afford calorically to eat anything I desire, pretty much, within reason, and I'm willing to do extra exercise for it, if necessary... so at the store, I'ma get what I want, and I ain't gonna worry about it.

Two, I've been married to a wonderful man for a little over a year, and right now my main focus is on being a good person and the best wife to him as I possibly can be. As long as he's happy and content and feeling like he can go out and face the world everyday with confidence, knowing he's got a supportive, loving woman back home... I really don't give a good you-know-what about what anybody else is thinking, at least when it comes to my eating habits.

Last edited by fivestone; 12-22-2010 at 07:56 PM.
fivestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Hmm- I've never even thought to look in others carts. Also, I have to feed a husband who eats every meal like it is his last and a VERY picky 6 year old and a 3 year old that just wants spaghettios. My cart is full of junk along with my salad fixins and lean protein.

But, I had a guy I know from the Gym ask what I was doing with frozen pizza in my cart>> I was VERY surprised by this. He really isn't someone I knew too well and it really took me back. But, I told him I have a whole family to feed and they won't all eat salad!
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I didn't need to do a big shopping today but I needed milk and also wanted to buy a roll of quarters.
If you had looked into my cart you would have seen 1/2 gallon of nonfat milk, one loaf of Dill Rye Bread, one package of Puperoni (treats for the dog)
one package of Sargento sliced Jarlsberg cheese,2 cans of condensed milk( to make fudge for gifts) , one can of zucchini in tomato sauce. If anybody was looking they would have wondered how do you make a meal out of that ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #27  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I judged... Big time when I was in Walmart with my then infant. A mother was walking throught he aisles pushing her child in the cart when the child said she was hungry. Instead of bringing a snack for her child or opening a bag of pretzels or another decent snack (on a side note I also hate when people eat produce in the store since they don't actually pay for it). Anyway this insane mother proceeded to open a package of hot dogs from the refrigerator section and hand a cold, uncooked hot dog to her child.... Yes I judge!!

JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #28  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyM View Post
I judged... Big time when I was in Walmart with my then infant. A mother was walking throught he aisles pushing her child in the cart when the child said she was hungry. Instead of bringing a snack for her child or opening a bag of pretzels or another decent snack (on a side note I also hate when people eat produce in the store since they don't actually pay for it). Anyway this insane mother proceeded to open a package of hot dogs from the refrigerator section and hand a cold, uncooked hot dog to her child.... Yes I judge!!

...okay, that story makes me realize that yes, there ARE times when I judge. That would definitely be one of them!
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #29  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never notice shopping carts but I sometimes notice those who are in line near me. It is more a curiosity but I don't try to judge people due to their shopping habits, who knows or really cares how they eat?

It is funny in that lately I've been ordering my produce from a farm aggregate type place so they bring my groceries to my house. Since that happens, I buy very little produce in the store. Also, I've gotten pickier in that I rarely buy produce that isn't organic. So if I go to a regular store, I'll hardly ever get any produce since it is so much more expensive there.

The other day I went to Trader Joe's and bought some special treats for some friends, one especially wanted some stuff from Trader Joe's and she doesn't have one near her. So I bought her quite a few items and yes you could consider the items to be junk. I know what I bought will be eaten over many months. Someone looking at my basket would think I eat no veggies and just eat cookies and chocolate when it was for a few people and none for me.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #30  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillyM View Post

I don't know, why would a hot dog be worse than pretzels? I don't know but I remember eating cold hot dogs when I was younger. We didn't have them often in the house and they always had to be the turkey ones or low fat but still. If the child likes hotdogs, I wouldn't see the big deal. Its precooked so its not like giving the kid raw chicken.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote