General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238 (all-time high)/Ticker/150

Height: 5'6''

Default Should I try to lose weight before trying to get life insurance?

DH and I are both overweight. He is around 317 lbs and 6'3''. I am around 230 lbs and 5'6''. We really want to buy a term life insurance policy for each of us, but I don't know if they would give it to us because of our weight.

Anyone know anything about how strict they are on term life insurance? We are in our late 30's. Never smoked, don't drink. Pretty healthy other than the weight. Thanks!

Last edited by I Can And I Will; 02-03-2010 at 09:11 PM.
I Can And I Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #2  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Your rates will be based on your weight, and you might not even be insurable at your present weight-???? Not sure???
I guess you could contact an agent and get a quote. There may be some online quotes available.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #3  
Workin' It

You might be able to find insurance at your current weight, but will likely pay more. If you are lookin at a long term policy then you may want to lose first as your rate wouldn't be likely to change. There ate some policies you can do for short term and renew, maybe check into those if you want something right now. Maybe look at ad&d now, life later.

On the flipside of that, I'm looking at life insurance now and am having some difficulty with being too small. I was at 119 last time I was looking, but have built up some muscle gain in the last six months so am about to look again.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:21 PM   #4  
Results Are Typical

S/C/G: 232/217/180

Height: 5' 1.5"

I used to be an underwriter for various types of insurance including life. If your underwriter reviews medical records form your PCP they will notice the weight discrepancy and wonder what made you lose a significant amount of weight (chemotherapy, wasting infection, eating disorder). Its a toss up though. You can try now and maybe get higher rates or you may be declined. Having a declined application is really undesirable since you will always have to disclose that you have been declined, so the best thing to do is talk to an agent now and see what s/he suggests. Also, good job choosing term life over whole life. Whole life is way too expensive for all the alleged benefits.
honeybjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah, good point. Stay away from whole life. Good advice for anyone
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #6  
mom2cole

I got term life insurance when I weighed around 175, mid 20's no smoking or drinking and it is only $44/per every 3 months so less than 20 a month.
mom2cole is offline   Reply With Quote