General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #16  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

dumped The Elementals- just couldn't get through it anymore. I got a bunch of used books for my birthday so I'm back in reading new stuff! I have an entire shelf now of nothing but books i have not yet read.
I'm reading Amy Tan's The Hundred Secret Senses. So far- really great! I love her.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm about halfway through Silent in the Grave and I really like it so far.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

Still Alice was a great book that really gave me an understanding of Alzheimer's disease. I would highly recommend it... it gives you a deep appreciation for your memory.

I read Twenties Girl - the new one by Sophie Kinsella.. it was alright.. I could of done without it, but if you are looking for a brainless read, it was fine.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:20 AM   #19  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Well currently I am reading "Salem Falls" by Jodi Picoult, the same author who wrote, "My Sisters Keeper" which I have also read, which was very good. I have also just read, "Accidental Mother" by Rowan Coleman and now she has a sequel out to that book, "Accidental Family" which I also want to read.

Before that I read "Prarie Tales" by Melissa Gilbert and before then, I can't honestly remember because I have read quite a few books. lol. I work 3rd shift and work very long hours and my coworker is currently studying to be a Paramedic, so she is usually studying, so I read. lol.

So this thread is a blessing to find so I can have other books to read! lol. I grabbed the last book, "Accidental Mother" and got lucky that it was a good book. lol.

I just remembered the other book I read, "Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discover If Her Life Makes Her *** Look Big, or Why Pie Is Not the Answer (Paperback)" by Jen Lancaster. It was HILARIOUS! She also has other books that I want to read: "Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office (Paperback)", "Bright Lights, Big ***: A Self-Indulgent, Surly, Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who are These Idiots and Why Do They All Live Next Door to Me? (Paperback)", and "Pretty in Plaid: A Life, a Witch, and a Wardrobe, or, the Wonder Years Before the Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart-*** Phase (Hardcover)"

Anyways, Happy Reading!

Last edited by Sassy_Chick; 08-06-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #20  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

The last book I read was The Lovely Bones and I just started Live a Little.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #21  

Let me know what you think about Live a Little. I know it was a plot device, but I couldn't forgive the main character for her cruel deception to her family. I stopped reading about halfway through. I'm usually a big fan of the library, but I actually bought that one (suckered by the super cute cover art, I think). Let me know if it's worth picking back up!
Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM   #22  

Paperskin - Loved Still Alice. You might like The Leisure Seeker which I just read. It has a more humorous overall tone but a similar theme.

Sassy Chick - I am hit/miss with Jodie Picoult, I remember thinking that one seemed to drag in the courtroom. I have Prairie Tales in my queue in the library - looking forward to that one.

I'm a big Jen Lancaster fan - I just finished her newest one, Pretty in Plaid. It was very funny, but Bitter is the New Black remains my absolutely favorite.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 193/See ticker/148

Height: 5'4"

I clicked on your weight loss story. It is truly inspiring. Just what I needed to read today.
emileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 414/390/185

I just finished a "reread blitz" of all of Dan Brown's books. I should have waited a little longer though, because now I'm entirely too geeked to get 'The Lost Symbol' in September.
Greendreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #25  
Maintanier to the MAX

S/C/G: Maintainer

I haven't been on here in a while.. so lets see...

I've read
Better Then Chocolate ... really good book. I like the ending.
The Senator's Wife... another good read, but it seemed to drag out in parts.
I am reading The Starter Wife now.... iffy, I like it, but yet again it sems details are dragged out. Good plot line and such thus far.

I've got a bunch of books here from the library... just need to figure out what one to read next?
PearFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #26  

I liked the Senator's Wife

I finished Silent in the Grave and it was really great - until about the middle. Then, the author made the mistake of making the male lead the BESTEST at everything (total Ayla from Mammoth Hunters syndrome). Ugh. It went from being a 4.5 book to about a 2.5 book. Still, I just requested the sequel from the library!

I am now reading Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Plonder and I don't know if I'm going to be able to take the cornpone treacly-ness of it. It's so cutesy pukey southern! I'm super busy the next few days getting ready for a visit from my mom, so my reading time has taken a hit.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #27  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

I haven't quite finished The Hundred Secret Senses, but I left it at work over the weekend! So I picked up another book "the B!tch in the house" it's a collection of essays written by women and they're excellent! I have almost devoured this whole book in like 3 days.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

I love anything that Amy Tan writes. She could write a grocery list and I'd buy it.
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #29  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Paperskin -

Sassy Chick - I am hit/miss with Jodie Picoult, I remember thinking that one seemed to drag in the courtroom. I have Prairie Tales in my queue in the library - looking forward to that one.
i must agree with you on that. II was reading her one book a few months ago, and I thought the way she had everything play out, it just went on and on, but I kept reading b/c I wanted to know what happened in the end.

right now Im reading the short stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Just got done reading The curious Case of Benjamin Button. Nothing like the movie.
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 219/219/150

Height: 5'2

I just started another book called Sword of the Highlands by Veronica Wolff

It is supposed to be a time travel book.
Duchesssammi is offline   Reply With Quote