General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #46  

Just bought yesterday, Make the Impossible Possible by Bill Strickland
2fat2bphat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:25 PM   #47  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

LisaMarie~I love love Sue Grafton!!! I just wish her books would come out asap. I hate waiting, lol. What is Bookswim?
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:21 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Francie -- Bookswim is just like Netflix but it's for books instead of movies. I'm saving a lot of money by using it, because otherwise I would buy a bunch of books every month like I always did! You can choose from different plans, whether you want to keep 3 books out at a time or 5 or even more. I'm on the 5-book plan, and it's $24 a month. They take a little bit of time to get the books to you, but if you schedule it right you can always have something to read. You keep a book pool of stuff you want, and they just send stuff right back out to you after you ship things back, and the shipping is always free just like with Netflix. Also, I've been able to get stuff that's really new, so it's nice not to have to wait for the paperback version when you can't afford the hardcover! I like having my own books, of course, but I honestly have 100s of boxes full of books in my attic and I just can't keep spending that kind of money with a baby on the way and no income this coming year. And the library is too far away, plus their selection is too limited. Bookswim has pretty much everything. Let me know if you want to try it -- I might have a coupon code for 50% off the first month on some bookmark they sent me.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #49  
Domestic Engineer

I'm reading The Host by Stephanie Meyer-- totally not my genre, but enjoying it! I'm about 3/4 done.
jelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:33 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have The Host on hold at the library, but I'm like number 50.

I just finished reading Belong to Me and it was pretty good. A few of the storylines I liked more than others.

white text below - highlight to read spoiler

I knew there had to be SOMETHING with Cornelia and Teo's PERFECT marriage, it was a little obvious.

white text above

Oh, I just discovered there is a previous book with the same characters - Love Comes In. I guess I'll put it on hold at the library!

Last edited by Glory87; 07-16-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #51  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Finished Dear John...Nicholas Sparks and while I am a fan of his books I was a little disappointed with this one. So now I started The Saving Graces...Patricia Gaffney and so far, so good.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 270/252.0/150

Height: 5'7

UrsusMaritimus: No, I haven't read Under the Banner of Heaven yet, but I seen it at Barnes&Noble and wondering about it.

Iconised Ghost: I think Jodi Picoult is good also. My favorite is My Sisters Keeper, but I also liked Plain Truth , and Nineteen Minutes.

For those of you with teenagers check out Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. I first read this when I was about 13 and fell in love with this story. I still read this book about once a year, even though I'm far from a teenager

Last edited by Kelleigh; 07-17-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Kelleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 PM   #53  
KAR

I am currently reading Fearless by Diana Palmer. It is good so far. Just haven't really much of a chance to really read it. I have been busy working out, running errands, and mowing the lawn. So tonight after I clean house, I am going to read for a while. I am a big fan of chick lit. So I might have to check out some of the titles earlier mention in the thread.
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #54  
KAR

Well I am almost done with the book. I stayed up late reading last night. So my plans for this evening are to get my shower, get my pj's on and curl up with it again. I have about 148 pages left. So I am hoping to finish it tonight. It is a really fast read.
Hope you are all enjoying the books you are reading right now.
Happy Reading!
Kerry
Old 07-20-2008, 02:23 PM   #55  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

So The Saving Graces was boring me a little and I had to move on...started Cross by James Patterson. ALways love his books. I've not given up on The Saving Graces, just taking a break today...will go between the two this week, or finish Cross and go back to The Saving Graces...not really into her style of writing.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I wasn't able to get through Saving Graces either!

I just finished reading The Space Between Us and it was amazing. Exceptionally beautiful prose, gripping storyline, very interesting view into two different women in India (one well off, one poor). A little heartbreaking at times. I usually get all my books from the library, but rarely, if I love it enough, I buy it. This one is going into the buy pile!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #57  
Addicted to potato salad!

I just finished A Great And Terrible Beauty. It was a good young-adult read. My daughter wanted to read it and I had to read ahead of her to be sure there weren't any 'love scenes'. Only one questionable one.
techwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Done with The Dreyfus Affair and Heart Seizure

Beginning tonight: The Judas Strain by James Rollins (The Hot Zone meets The Da Vinci Code), and once I'm done with that The Emperor's Bones by Adam Williams (a novel about revolutions in China in the 1920s, should make good background reading with the Olympics in China starting in a couple of weeks)

Last edited by ANOther; 07-20-2008 at 05:01 PM.
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 217/217/195

I, too, just finished Water for Elephants by Sarah Gruen and absolutely adored the story. Looking for my next story to fall into -- the ones by Meg Cabot intrigued me, so I've already requested Size 12 Is Not Fat from the library. Thanks for the recommendations! I hope it comes in soon...I loathe waiting for books!

Marianne
Fiestyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #60  
KAR

I am reading Flowers for Algernon. It is really good so far. I am part of an Adult Summer Reading program at my sister's library. There are nine caterogies to choice books from. You only have to read one book off six categories lists. So after this book I think I might read The Mothman Prophices and Ain't She Sweet?
I have to look for the Meg Cabot books when I got to the library the next time.