General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-09-2008, 12:31 PM   #31  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

So I finished Blaze a few days ago and picked up Duma Key... also by King. So far it is a GREAT read (close to halfway done) - but after this I think I need to lay off King for a bit... hard when I have stacks of books by him I haven't read.

The reviews for Duma Key were amazing and so far the book is holding true to them - lets hope it does get crazy weird at the end.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 158/148/130

Height: 5'7"

Just started Duma Key, which I bought based on the reviews so glad they were right!
meggoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:29 PM   #33  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im reading the colour of magic by terry pratchet its really good, nice light reading. And after that i want to read some more books by Jodie Picoult, her books are really good imo
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #34  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I am still reading The Lone Survivor....Angie is sitting behind me she said she read/is reading......

Eat - Pray - Love

Yoga for Christians

Body Mind and Spirit
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 AM   #35  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I'm a fan of HBO's Big Love series so when I seen these books I had to read them.
Kelleigh, have you read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer? It's fascinating. Seems like it would be right up your alley.
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #36  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggoat View Post
Just started Duma Key, which I bought based on the reviews so glad they were right!
wooo another Duma Key reader!

I just don't want to put mine down... I think I might have to read it again almost right away!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I loved Duma Key while I was reading it but had huge huge issues with the book after I was done and started thinking about it. Happy to discuss with you guys when you get done!

I just finished Chasing Harry Winston and it was just okay.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 PM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

Love the variety of what folks are reading.

I just finished the latest book in Robert Parker's Jesse Stone series Stranger in Paradise, and recently read Elizabeth George's latest Careless in Red. Now I'm reading The Calling by Inger Ash Wolfe. She's a new Canadian author, and her "heroine" is a 61 year old police detective. Very good so far.

As you might notice, I'm a big fan of mystery/detective/police procedural books, though I look a good chick lit book, and devoured the entire Diana Gabaldon series. If you like audiobooks (I love them), both Gabaldon's and Alexander McCall Smith's books are excellent listening. Speaking of which AMS has two other series, both set in Scotland that are also very good. One is the Sunday Philosophy Club (also name of first book), and the other starts with a book called 44 Scotland Street.

Luckily for me I work in a library, so it doesn't cost me a zillion dollars to satisfy my habit. I'm usually reading 3-4 books at a time. Right now I have a Linda Fairstein audiobook in my car, The Calling on my bedside table, and Out of Mind by Catherine Sampson on my MP3 player. My library has FREE downloadable books, plus I buy books from Audible . com. I listen in the car, when I'm doing housework, when I mow the lawn, and any time I'm doing something that doesn't require a lot of thought.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Glory, I just finished Chasing Harry Winston too and I also found it just ok. I didn't expect much, of course, but still... Now I'm about 2/3 through The Friday Night Knitting Club and am finding it just ok as well. I hope after the baby is born I'll get some brain cells back and be ready for some deeper, more satisfying stuff. Nothing against chick lit and bestsellers and all that -- I always enjoy them off and on -- but I'm feeling pretty brain dead right now. I got Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky from Bookswim recently. I've been meaning to read it for a while but I believe it's about the Holocaust and I'm not emotionally ready for that right now. Bring on more mindless stuff for now!!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #40  
pretty.nerd.girl.

S/C/G: 9999999

Currently reading Affirmative Acts by June Jordan. Would love to finish "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and "The Boat".
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
Glory, I just finished Chasing Harry Winston too and I also found it just ok.
Their lives were just TOO COOL, I didn't find it even slightly realistic!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #42  

Exactly, Glory! I found that Brazilian character (Adriana, I think) completely unbearable!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Just started reading Water For Elephants. I really enjoy it so far!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #44  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I just started reading The Beach House by Jane Green
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:37 PM   #45  

BornToFly - I liked Water for Elephants a lot!

Francie - I put The Beach House on my Bookswim list, so I hope to get it in the next shipment in a few weeks after I send some books back.

Right now I'm reading C is for Corpse by Sue Grafton. I never really got into mysteries, but right now they're working for me. I think it's because I need simple stories that don't make me think much while I'm waiting for my baby to be born!

I have two other books I've rented from Bookswim that I'll be reading next: Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky and The Host by Stephenie Meyer, who writes the Twilight series.

Off and on, I've been rereading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for a writing project I'm about to start. I've read that book about a million times and I think it may be my favorite novel.