General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Interesting thread!

I did not grow up going to church, but I do attend a Unitarian church every now and then... as I've gotten older, it's become more important to me.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM   #62  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
I took a course on western religion in college and the more I learned about it, the more I felt like God was a construct of man. I just don't have much faith, I guess, because I really can't believe in God anymore. I wouldn't say I'm an atheist, but I'm an agnostic at best.
I think this is about where I am, too. The more I think about most religions, the LESS sense they make to me. And the more I think about all the different religions in existence, the more I'm certain that none of them are right (at least, not for me).

Someone very close to me started going to church again because she felt it was good for her daughter. However, she has openly admitted that she doesn't really believe in God--she just goes to church because it's the "right" thing to do. It's like she's been brainwashed by not only the church, but society as a whole into believeing that going to church somehow makes you better than those who don't.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #63  
paso a paso

S/C/G: 160/125/126

Height: reaching for 5'

Non-churchgoer here. I'm an atheist raised by an atheist dad and a non-churchgoing Baptist mom. I'm a Catholic school survivor too, as my father's family is RC and we kids had to go for the "academics." The school we went to was definitely far better than the public schools in our community. My parents taught us that a thing wasn't necessarily true because a priest/nun said so, and that we had to make up our own minds about the religious teachings. They told us just to ask lots of questions. Oh, I was so popular with the nuns! I can still see them cringing when I'd raise my hand.

Luckily my parents moved and I attended public school after my elementary years.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM   #64  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

I was raised 'Texas Southern Baptist'. That means my mom took the kids to church every Sunday, while my dad stayed home. Mom made the kids be in every play and say every speech possible, depending on the holiday. I was a youth usher for 7 years. Just recently in the last 2 years my mom has converted to 'non-denomitional' I don't really agree with their beliefs, so I only go to church with her on holidays. I don't even understand the point of saying 'non' when it is a religon. Just give it a name and be done with it.

I am still a 'Texas Southern Baptist.' I do not attend church no where as much as I should, but my mind has a lot of questions about a lot of things. Whenever I ask these questions it makes most people uncomfortable so they usually go unanswered.

I do believe in GOD and I do love the LORD. But that does not mean I don't have questions and if going to church does not answer them then why am I going? I can pray at home. Many, many things have happened that have showed me that someone or something is out there helping us all. I choose to believe that.

In this thing called life we can all use as much help as we can get. If all of our beliefs are true and there really is a GOD, I thank him for all the help he gives us, wish he would help a little more but none-the-less I'm still thankful.

Last edited by mrsgeb2; 09-17-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #65  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

I think it's strange when people say they don't believe in God, they say things that say otherwise. For instance, when something bad happens in their lives, who do they blame. . God! Or they use His name as an exclamation, "Oh God!".
So what is it, do they believe or not?

And how do people make a judgement call about God anyway, about who He is? Has anyone bothered to know Him and His ways?
How do you get to know a potential husband, you have to talk to him and spend time with him in order to know if he's the one, right!
Same thing with God, He's a person too, although you can't see Him, He does exist. Look all around you, and you will see everything that He created.
Examine the breaths that you take, who gives that to you.
He's made a way for us to know Him.

God and religion are not the same, God didn't bring His Son here to create religions. Christ came to restore our relationship with the Father. He is all about restoration, healing, and caring about our everyday lives and needs.
If that isn't a good God who loves us then I don't know what.

Not all churches are bad, and not all are good. They should teach directly from the bible. Some put there man-made doctrines, traditions and rituals. If the church you go to doesn't glorify God, then I'd stay away from it.

Just yesterday I started going back after about 8 years of not going. That didn't mean that I didn't read the bible or pray during that time. I still had a relationship with the God, but it wasn't as strong as it is today. I can learn about God being at home and that's what I did. As soon as my dh and I were ready, then we were led back to church, and we love it. It's what we've been praying for!

So don't lose heart, eventually you'll find what your looking for, and I hope it will bless you!!
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #66  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitinTime View Post
I think it's strange when people say they don't believe in God, they say things that say otherwise. For instance, when something bad happens in their lives, who do they blame. . God! Or they use His name as an exclamation, "Oh God!".
So what is it, do they believe or not?
I think it is possible to use the phrase "Oh God" as an exclamation, even if you believe or don't believe in God. If you believe in God, it's considered a blasphemous statement. If you don't believe in God, but say "Oh God", then it's just a neutral exclamation like "sufferin' succotash" or something.

None of the non-believers I know suddenly start "believing in God" when something goes wrong and they want someone to blame. In fact, I'd say that's a ridiculous and very short-sighted assumption.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 PM   #67  

I just went to the coolest church ever, unfortunately on the sad occasion of my friend's memorial service. She was always trying to get me in there and I was always like church, UGH! Forget it, I've done enough church thank you very much!

But it's NOTHING like church as I think of it -- it's meditation, yoga, and actually looking for truths (rather than being preached AT and being threatened by damnation if you don't believe any of it - my experience with Christianity.)

http://www.yogananda-srf.org/temples...ood/index.html

Anyhow I loved the brother's talk about the founding of this church, which follows the humanist teachings of Jesus Christ and the Indian Krishna Christ as well....and focuses on the universal truths that are the basis of many world religions. The monastics here were so great with my pal when she was going through the cancer.

Definitely will be going back!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM   #68  
Mrs. Determined

S/C/G: 243/ /150

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica View Post
None of the non-believers I know suddenly start "believing in God" when something goes wrong and they want someone to blame. In fact, I'd say that's a ridiculous and very short-sighted assumption.

Well that's just a small majority that you know, I hear it from a lot of people, otherwise I wouldn't have said it.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:59 PM   #69  

I am a firm believer in teaching God's word verse by verse. I believe that one does NOT have to attend a church to do this. You can easily "have church" in your own home every single day. Staying in God's word daily is what builds a solid foundation and makes life bearable. It is wonderful if you can find a church where TRUTH is taught and you can form healthy relationships with other christians...but it is not necessary to receive eternal life.

Last edited by Skinny4baby; 09-17-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: response no longer needed
Old 09-17-2007, 02:01 PM   #70  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was raised quasi Catholic. When I was young (pre-teen/teen), I had an interest in all sorts of religions and I still do to some extent. I went to all sorts of churches, talked to various people about their religions, watched movies and shows on tv about religions and religious history. I took a history class in college that included religion. I still read books about religions and history of religions.

I formed my own beliefs though based on my interest, my exposure and my own spirtual seeking. When I was in college, I realized I had a desperate need to fit my beliefs to a religion. I realized though that my beliefs don't follow a firm structure that will fit any molded religion. I love religious ceremonies though. I think Catholic mass is a beautiful thing but my beliefs weren't there for it. So at that time, I gave up trying to belong to a religion and trying to go to church. Although I did try a few churches after college, including one in LA that was a little out there.

So I'm not agnostic, I'm not atheistic, I'm not part of any religion but I do have various spiritual beliefs. My beliefs are more theories though that I have formed through study in various religions as well as my own introspection. I don't think I can truly know what waits for me (or anyone else) beyond this life but I have theories. I don't know the true extent of a higher power which you can call God or whatever else but I do have theories. I pray, I think, I study and try to take care of my spiritual self. I also try to be a good person, not because of fear of what would happen to me otherwise but because it is the right thing to do.

If I had kids though, I'm not sure what I would do. I think a religious background should be given to children, just because it helps them start their own spiritual undertaking. I don't think religion should be forced upon them though. It is a sticky situation to me because if I had kids, would I share my own theories with them? Would I try to teach them what I think? Would I try to show them a bit about religions and religious ceremonies and let them form their own opinions? I think I would rather them develop their own opinions and beliefs rather than trying to teach them what I believe.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:13 PM   #71  
doinTHEbestIcan

okay, people let's try to keep it at 'discussion' level.

we all have our seperate opinions, but let's RESPECT that.

come on we've made it to 5 pages with on 'discussion' level so far, don't blow it now!

Last edited by mrsgeb2; 09-17-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #72  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

FrouFrou, although everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is not a thread for arguing religion. The original poster's question was "Do you attend church? Why or why not?" So stay on the topic. If this thread starts to become a "religious war" it will be closed.

Jay
Old 09-17-2007, 02:37 PM   #73  
doinTHEbestIcan

thank you jay!

of course it always sounds better coming from a 'mod.'

Last edited by mrsgeb2; 09-17-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 PM   #74  

S/C/G: 280/???/170

I was brought up in church. I went to a Church of Christ church. I loved going to church, and I went regularly until I married my husband and moved away. I know this isn't a good reason not to go, but I can't find one that is as good as my home church back in Kentucky. I started going to church down here in florida starting around Easter. I really love it, but I haven't been going regularly because I have been lazy. Services start at 9, I am use to services starting at 11. So I am hoping I can get into the routine again!!
Old 09-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #75  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
If I had kids though, I'm not sure what I would do. I think a religious background should be given to children, just because it helps them start their own spiritual undertaking. I don't think religion should be forced upon them though. It is a sticky situation to me because if I had kids, would I share my own theories with them? Would I try to teach them what I think? Would I try to show them a bit about religions and religious ceremonies and let them form their own opinions? I think I would rather them develop their own opinions and beliefs rather than trying to teach them what I believe.
I agree. It's one thing to let go of religion when you've been raised with it and it was a part of your upbringing, but what if you weren't raised with any at all? My mother could not care less about church and has always done her own thing, but I think it contributed to a gross lack of structure in my childhood. My father's family is Episcopalian (converted from Judaism post WWII, oddly enough) and that's the church I belong to now, but I will always feel like a bit of an outsider. DF was raised Lutheran and went to church every Sunday until he left for college and he is very ambiguous about it. My children will have a foundation to grown from where religion is concerned, but my household will be a liberal one and they are free to come to their own conclusions on the matter when they become curious.
Closed Thread