Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #1  
LLV

Default What's good to have with oatmeal in the morning?

*side note, just noticing the ad off to the right of my screen* - wonderful... a diet site is advertising chocolate chex mix, lol.

Traitors!

Anyway, sometimes in the morning I'll have the low-sugar instant Quaker oatmeal, since it's quick to fix. As I've already mentioned, I don't have a lot of time to mess around with breakfast in the mornings, but I always try and eat something. However, those little packages of oatmeal don't really fill me up and keep me going very long, so I was wanting to ask if any of you have extra stuffs with your oatmeal or a way to 'bulk' it up and make it go farther without adding a ton of calories.

Thanks
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #2  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Default How about making oatmeal pancakes?

I got a great idea from another post here for oatmeal pancakes. Mix 1/2 cup of oatmeal + 3 egg whites for a "pancake batter". I added a few drops of skim milk to have a thinner consistency. You can combine ingredients in a blender if you want a thinner batter---

You can add splenda and/or vanilla extract. cook in a nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray.
The pancakes cook quickly. You can top with fruit and/or sugar free pancake syrup (10 calories in 1/4 cup)

My dh loved these pancakes! The egg whites add protein without adding many calories, which, from what I understand, keeps you feeling full.

I've only made these once but plan to make them many, many more times!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #3  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

I forgot to mention that you can premake these and keep in refrig. ---(according to what I've read on other posts) then reheat in mirowave
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #4  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemetrynurse
I forgot to mention that you can premake these and keep in refrig. ---(according to what I've read on other posts) then reheat in mirowave
Oh, this is most definitely important for me, since I don't have time in the mornings to actually put anything together.

Sounds wonderful! I might just try that here soon, thank you
Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I take these to work all the time. It makes a nice round and I cut it into six wedges and eat them whenever ... main course, dessert. My sister does the cinnamon thing and dips hers in applesauce.

Some folks add a bit of protein powder that makes them even more awesome and filling.

Before you think this must be blah ... it is. But then most filler carbs we eat are. At least this one is protein packed and low fat.

Back to the oatmeal question. Fruit, yogurt (oh maybe I shouldn't have said that Linda), a few nuts, seeds, flaxseed ...
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #6  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I just discovered that quakers makes a breakfast cookie that is DELICIOUS. It's not any more filling, but I love it. I added some wheat germ to my oatmeal for fiber and use fruit as a side dish (or yogurt). Make a smoothie. I'm even too lazy to make that in the morning though.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:23 PM   #7  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I'm partial to a diced banana and a few chopped walnuts in my oatmeal
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #8  
LLV

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to combine a couple of suggestions here and tomorrow morning throw banana and flaxseed on top of my oatmeal.

Yum!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
I got a great idea from another post here for oatmeal pancakes. Mix 1/2 cup of oatmeal + 3 egg whites for a "pancake batter". I added a few drops of skim milk to have a thinner consistency. You can combine ingredients in a blender if you want a thinner batter---
I make these but use 1/3 cup each of oatameal and cottage cheese, along with 3 egg whites (whichi is about 1/3 cup). Actually it's Ilene's recipe to give credit where it's due. It's very quick, filling, has lots of protein. I like to top mine with unsweetened applesauce, sometimes with a dollop of ff sour cream.

Old-fashioned oatmeal will cook in the microwave in 2-3 minutes (depending on the microwave). I do this all the time. 1/2 oatmeal, 1 cup water or milk and a pinch of salt. Use a deep bowl or it'll boil over. I like to add raisins or dry cranberries and some nuts, either walnuts or pecans. You can use splenda if you like it sweeter.

This morning I made a hot cereal for breakfast for me and DH. Took 2 cups of water, salt, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 3 TBSP of Malt-o-Meal, and 2 TBSP of ground flaxseed. Added milk, dried cranberries and walnuts. It was very tasty and filling.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #10  

just to have some cereal for breakfast sounds so good to me I was getting all happy just reading your post , thinking that I may have some of it.
I have been doing low carb for 7 years. and it has been great for me. I have lost over 40 pounds, on and off, as of Monday I went on WW, I am a bit scared of getting hungry on it when all my point are gone, but I would like to give it a try. can any one help me out with the posting, how do I start one, thank you for you help, hope to come on and get going with this site Jackie o
jackie o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #11  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Are you kidding? Oatmeal is SO filling. I can understand why you may disagree if you are eating the instant stuff. My gf eats that and I wouldn't think it'd be filling. If you buy the quaker oats "1-minute," just combine a 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup water or (soy)milk, whichever you use and put it in the microwave for a minute. I usually double the amount and add a dash of cinnamon and some no-cal sweetener. You can also add raisins or other things. Also, if you have a coffee grinder, it works great for grinding flaxseed for your omega-3 fatty acids. The bigger containers of quaker oats are much more economical, too. The instant pre-packaged oatmeal is usually a lot less. You can experiment with the unsweetened stuff and see if you can come up with something you enjoy. I hope this helps.

~Tara
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:54 AM   #12  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie o
just to have some cereal for breakfast sounds so good to me I was getting all happy just reading your post , thinking that I may have some of it.
I have been doing low carb for 7 years. and it has been great for me. I have lost over 40 pounds, on and off, as of Monday I went on WW, I am a bit scared of getting hungry on it when all my point are gone, but I would like to give it a try. can any one help me out with the posting, how do I start one, thank you for you help, hope to come on and get going with this site Jackie o
Well, you just sort of.... post!

Welcome and good luck on WW. I've done the low-carb thing in the past (back when I was into all those crazy diets, lol) and I had a very hard time. Now I'm not on any diet, I just eat healthy and watch my calories
Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 AM   #13  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty3zenlane
Are you kidding? Oatmeal is SO filling. I can understand why you may disagree if you are eating the instant stuff.
Well, I only eat the instant on occasion. Most of the time I prefer the quick-cooking and even the whole rolled oats. I eat instant oatmeal maybe once or twice a month

I live in Columbus too.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #14  
Half-marathoner.

S/C/G: 175/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
Well, I only eat the instant on occasion. Most of the time I prefer the quick-cooking and even the whole rolled oats. I eat instant oatmeal maybe once or twice a month

I live in Columbus too.
Yeah, instant is overrated. My aunt used to make me eat the stuff when I was a kid and I HATED it. Turns out I only like the natural stuff--it was the sweet artificial stuff I didn't like. Anyway, I'm doing this new oatmeal challenge, so I'll be eating oatmeal every day. I absolutely love the stuff. It's so filling and healthy.

Awesome on living in Columbus. Seems you've come a long way with your weight loss. I'm just starting out, but you're exactly where I need to be. I love it here with all the trails and parks and everything.
thirty3zenlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #15  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty3zenlane
Yeah, instant is overrated. My aunt used to make me eat the stuff when I was a kid and I HATED it. Turns out I only like the natural stuff--it was the sweet artificial stuff I didn't like. Anyway, I'm doing this new oatmeal challenge, so I'll be eating oatmeal every day. I absolutely love the stuff. It's so filling and healthy.

Awesome on living in Columbus. Seems you've come a long way with your weight loss. I'm just starting out, but you're exactly where I need to be. I love it here with all the trails and parks and everything.
I personally hate this place, but...

lol

I know what you mean about the oatmeal. The natural is better for us anyway. But I keep the instant around for quickies