Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #1  

Question Cauliflower vs Potatoes?

I love faux potatoes (cauliflower). Can you sub cauliflower for any potato recipe? I love Zuppa Toscana (like from Olive Garden) and have a recipe for it and have modified it so its not so bad for you but it still has potatoes. Can I ditch the potatoes and add cauliflower instead?

Thanks!
Lisa
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM   #2  
Zen-meister

I don't see why not. I love the fakey mashed potatoes made w/ cauliflower. Try it and let us know how it goes!
Old 02-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #3  

Tell me more!!!! I have never heard of using cauliflower instead of potato, do you mash it just with skim milk, what other recipes can you use it in??? Enquiring minds need to know!!!!
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 AM   #4  

Yes, please explain how to make cauliflower mashed potatoes and what the taste and texture are like. How intriguing, I never would have thought of cauliflower as a substitute like that. I'd love to give it a try if they really are that good.

Beverly
Old 02-17-2005, 10:38 AM   #5  
singletrack chick

you guys should check out this thread for velvety cauliflower soup. it is fanatstic. i make it instead of potato soup. add some green onions and it's hard to tell its not potato soup.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52797
Old 02-17-2005, 02:03 PM   #6  

Thank you so much for the receipt (to use the old Victorian phrase) I think that will become a staple soup in our house, my dh claims to hate cauliflower, so I will trial this on my soup day (which is sunday)
Old 02-17-2005, 02:31 PM   #7  

I'm not too sure on the exact measurements since its now a staple in our house and I have been making it for over a year. My kids even ask for it!

1 head of cauliflower chopped into chunks (steamed till soft), I even drain it a bit more after cooking on a paper plate. Just seems to make it less soupy. In a food processor or blender I add the cooked cauliflower, a tablespoon of real butter (better for you than margarine!), about 3 tablespoons for sour cream (low fat or non fat works well too). If you don't like sour cream you can also use cream cheese. Mix until almost smooth, mashed potato consistancy. In a med/large bowl mix cauliflower mixture with chopped green onions, bacon bits (if you like), and shredded cheese. Kinda like a big 'ol baked potato. You can play around with the ingrediants to see what you like and works best for you. You can make it as low fat or low carb as you need it to be. I found the recipe on allrecipes.com and its called faux potatoes. Its very simple and YUMMY! Enjoy!

I think I'll try it in my Zuppa Toscana and see how it goes!
Old 02-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Thank you so much for the receipt (to use the old Victorian phrase) I think that will become a staple soup in our house, my dh claims to hate cauliflower, so I will trial this on my soup day (which is sunday)
Warning: It DOES have a slightly cabbagey/cauliflowery aroma, but it's pretty mild.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:52 AM   #9  

I made the cauliflower soup and it was lovely even dh liked it. Except we had an argument last night (non soup related) and I stormed up to bed. When I woke this morning, there was a bad smell in the house. I left the soup pot on!!!!!! The aroma was anything but mild after being left caramelising on the stove all night!!!!! Nasty!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 05:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Lisa,
How did you modify the Zuppa Toscana? Please share because it sounds delicious!
Closed Thread