Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 10:37 PM   #1  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Default Smoked Trout (x-posted)

Hello Ladies yesterday my DH-2B comes home from the office with 2 gorgeous smoked trouts that a co-worker had given us. This is a truely special treat here in Austria. Itīs not like America where you toss a line pert near anywhere. Here you pay big bucks and fabulous prizes for the liscense around a 100 euroīs to fish in a specific lake/ river and are allowed to only catch so many, normally that means under 10.

I really donīt want to mess up this flavour sensation so my first and only thought was to come here. Anyone got a favorite dish? Serving suggestions?thanking you so much in advance.

sincerely,

sassy
p.s.
( cross posted this from the WW boards, no one responded there.......hopefully here i will get an idea or two....... grinz and crossing more then just her post now~)
Old 04-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #2  
it's always something

Lucky you! I don't blame you for wanting to make the most of it.

I've not tried these, and I don't have the nutrition info handy, but they look healthy enough and delicious I'm going to hang onto the soup recipe, it sounds particularly good!

Roasted Sweet Corn Soup with Smoked Trout and Heirloom Tomatoes

1 large heirloom tomato, diced small
1/4 red onion, diced small
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
10 ears fresh corn
Salt and pepper to taste
1 white onion, roughly chopped
1/2 cup diced bacon (about 5 strips)
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 1/2 quarts water
1 large chipotle chile
2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 (4-ounce) fillet of smoked trout

Toss the heirloom tomatoes, red onion and cilantro in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
Preheat a grill. Lightly coat the ears of corn with vegetable oil. Grill the corn, turning frequently until the majority of the kernels are brown. Remove the kernels from the cob, cutting close to the cob so as to remove as much of the starch in the cob as possible.

In a large pot, saute the onion and bacon until the bacon is crisp. Add cumin and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the corn, water, and chipotle. Simmer for 1 hour. Using a hand blender, puree on high speed until smooth. Add lime juice and season with salt. Strain through a fine strainer.

Divide soup into 4 bowls and spoon the heirloom salsa in the center. Break apart the filet of trout and place over the salsa. Garnish with a fresh sprig of cilantro.

*Heirloom tomatoes are old fashioned tomatoes, not hybrids. You should be able to use any tomato.

Spinach Salad with Smoked Trout and Tart Apple

1 tart apple such as Granny Smith
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
8 cups packed spinach (about 6 ounces), washed well, dried, and coarse
stems discarded
2 smoked trout (about 8 ounces), skin and bones discarded and fish
broken into bite-size pieces
6 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted golden
6 tablespoons dried currants

Into a large bowl cut apple into 1-inch wedges and core. Cut wedges crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
In a large bowl whisk together oil, lemon juice, and mustard and add apple, tossing to coat. Add remaining ingredients, tossing to combine, and season with salt and pepper. Serve with store bought rosemary or herb focaccia.

Smoked Trout Spread

2 cups (packed) smoked trout fillets, skinned and flaked (Purchase 1 generous pound of fillets and remove and discard the skin before measuring.)
1/2 cup (firmly packed) minced scallions (use all white and 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the tender green after removing the roots)
3/4 cup mayonnaise (you should be able to use a light mayo)
1 teaspoon strained fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 rounded tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
Generous amount of freshly ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in the bowl of your food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process using onoff turns until finely chopped but not pureed. Spoon into a decorative bowl or crock, cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight so the flavors can meld.
Note: It's important not to overprocess this or the texture will become powdery and mousselike.

To serve: To enjoy best flavor, remove the spread from the refrigerator fifteen minutes or so to allow the mixture to "temp up". Serve with assorted warmed crackers or raw vegetable slices.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:12 AM   #3  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

Suzanne thank you so much for replying!! ~smiling brightly~ they sound absolutely fabulous. the last 2 perfect for the lighter, easier fare this summer. and the first one sounds super for fall.

one of the things i am truely grateful for is that all the recipes are "from scratch". i cant get the hand-dandies, pre-made, quick easyīs over here. okies i am going to have to pull the fish from the freezer so i can try these. i so didnt want to mess them up, i froze them till i got a response. will deffinately get back with you on ow these recipes taste. thanks again!

sincerely,
sassy
Old 04-19-2004, 10:35 PM   #4  

My DH fishes in the lakes around here.....he catches trout & smokes some of it.
We eat it with crackers or just by itself....we don't do anything special to it. It is good just as is.

April
Closed Thread