what's the deal with coconut oil?

• I keep getting conflicting reports on how good it is for you. Help!
  • I heard that it is good for you. I like to use it on fish, before I sauté it. yum!
  • Like any fat, it is a high calorie food. But, it contains medium-chain fatty acids, which are said not to increase cholesterol and to have other health benefits.

Not all coconut oils are created equal. Just because it's been added to a food doesn't make that food more "healthy."

The best coconut oil is extra virgin, unrefined, expeller-pressed organic coconut oil.

Jay
  • I feel that it's just the latest gimmick they are trying to market... Every 5 years or so they try to defend something as new "it" food.

Having said that, I have some and use it almost daily, I can't for the life of me down a table spoon of it though, maybe about 3ml is OK with some banana or weetabix...

I use it on my hair also, makes it all nice and shiny (and coconut smelling if your into it)

I've also used it as a body lotion but didn't go for it, now I use the Palmer's one, with coconut butter or something, it's good for scars and stretch marks (I feel like my lower back is the United States of Stretch).

Anyway, I have it and I use it, I'm a real sucker for all these online marketing ploys!