Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #16  

Height: 5'8"

I LOVE Trader Joes and shop there weekly. I actually drew up a master list for myself for when I go so I don't forget anything! Most cost effective and nutritious items on my list:

-chicken sausage (but high in sodium)
-nf greek yogurt
-eggs
-frozen chicken tenders (these come in a 40 oz. bag which is 6.99 at my store. That translates into 2.79 per pound for cleaned, sliced tenders which I just pop in the oven and roast for 25 mins for my husband's lunch sandwiches. WAY cheaper than cold cuts, and no preservatives)
-turkey meatballs
-breaded chicken tenders (these are for my son; I don't eat them. Sometimes hubby has them for dinner too. They are great to keep in the fridge)
-spices and condiments. The TJ's brand is cheaper than anything you'll find at your supermarket.
-nuts and dried fruit
-some veggies are cheaper, some are not. You'll have to compare with your local market.
-their snack foods tend to be healthier than supermarket brands - lower fat choices abound.
-their salsas are great.

I could go on and on. Trader Joe's branded items do not contain any artificial ingredients or preservatives either.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

They have a great whole wheat mediterrenean flat bread that I love! And their roasted red pepper and tomato soup is AWESOME!
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 190/167/140

Height: 5'2"

The closest TJ to me is about 30 miles away, but it is my favorite grocery store. Take the time to go through it very slowly. Then go back in a day or two; again go through the store slowly...you will find things you did not find the first time!

My five sons are older now, but when they were in school, I would fill Christmas bags or boxes for their teachers with tea, cookies, candies, jellies, etc. from TJ. Many of the teachers asked me where I got the items.
MonicaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #19  

I find their corn tortillas (TJ brand) to be extremely corny tasting and satisfying. I also just picked up a packet of seasoned toasted seaweed for 99 cents. 60 calories for the pack and since the pieces are super thin it is a great emergency snack (plus mineral packed). I have had it for almost a week and it is still 2/3 full - a good sign for me on something tasty.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #20  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Angie and I always buy hummus and brie cheese ~frozen orange chicken ~ fresh sugar snap peas for snacks ~ garlic mustard ~ $2 buck Chuck ~ their beer! ~ the Asian wraps are awesome!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #21  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

I love trader joes when I go I get a lot of condiments my faves are:

This chilli pepper sauce it is so great on a lot of things and the best hot sauce I've ever had. It tastes a lot like taco sauce but sooo much more flavorful and better its also pretty spicy you only need a small amount on things I just put a couple drops usually.
http://tjsdeliveryservice.com/images/thumbs/0000062.jpg

this is another one of my very fave condiments from there its red pepper spread with eggplant and garlic
http://glutenfreeislife.files.wordpr...009/06/018.jpg
it is delicious as a dip for crackers or spread on a sandwich it's so good you must try it. Also very low calories.

Then for foods I love their chilli chicken lime burgers
http://www.cooktj.com/files/products...%20burgers.jpg

and I like to use their multigrain thin buns they look like this but it was a trader joes brand http://www.iateapie.net/images/brand...nsthinbuns.jpg only 100 calories per bun.

the mahi mahi burgers were really good if you like fish http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JYyC_Mrqkc...0/dsc03708.jpg

the fish nuggets are the cheapest fish there and they are really good too http://photos-ak.sparkpeople.com/nw/5/1/l511499812.jpg

I love their frozen asparagus spears and green beans they taste just as good as fresh when just microwaved.

I like the frozen fruit there is pineapple tid bits which are great the organic raspberries are really tasty and their verry cherry berry blend is great I also got mango chunks but i havent tried those yet.

The mandarin orange chicken is really delicious I love to make a few and put it on a salad and then use some of the sauce it comes with as a salad dressing its really good http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Z_TXsmJHTw...5_18-17-20.JPG

there is so much good stuff there I could go on forever lol but there are a few ideas not sure if anyone mentioned them.

oh also you must try the garlic aioli mustard http://tjsdeliveryservice.com/images/thumbs/0000479.jpg just a tiny dollop of that in your chicken salad will make the best chicken salad u ever had :O Or its just good spread on a sandwich you don't need much it is very strong flavored.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 06-27-2011 at 03:05 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 196/187/139

Height: 5ft 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I haven't gone yet, but this summer, hubby and I are planning a trip to Madison (nearest Trader Joe's - and Whole Foods), and I've been preparing for the trip by checking out Trader Joes and Whole Food hauls on You Tube.

I found "hauls" by accident when looking for a review of a brand of mineral makeup I wanted to try, and discovered this weird, but rather addictive YouTube phenomenon. People go shopping and show you what they bought (and often which products they like best and why, and sometimes even the prices).

I actually started compiling a list of products to look for.
this made me laugh, because the last time my mother visited us(from the east coast, in an area with no TJ's), she bought a HUGE amount of spices and non-perishables from TJ's to take home with her.
I thought it was hilarious, but TJ's really is awesome. Great prices on spices and basics. Usually a difference of DOLLARS on their cheeses, yogurts, dips, hummus, and produce from regular stores.
You can't beat their prices on oils, balsamic, and such. 3 buck chuck is a huge plus, too. The Shiraz is fantastic - and for $3? heck yeah.

Last edited by RawrDinosaur; 07-08-2011 at 08:52 AM. Reason: adding stuff. I edit everything I post. You'll see. hehe
RawrDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #23  
Go Blue!

S/C/G: 286.8/180.6/145

I love TJ's! There is one right on the way to my ww meeting so I've incorporated it into my weekly ritual.

My favorite stuff:
flavored sparkling waters - no artificial sweeteners or sodium (lime and raspberry lime are my favorites)
bbq sauces which as a bonus don't have hfcs
turkey bacon
chicken sausages - my fave is the mango chicken
heart healthy blueberry whole grain oatmeal
reduced guilt air popped popcorn
multigrain pita bite crackers
wheat pizza dough and their pizza sauces
the frozen brown rice is SO easy to heat up
cheap(er) nuts, oils, etc
frozen haricots vert - I buy these usually when it gets hard to find decent fresh green vegs, they steam beautifully
frozen turkey meatballs
bags of broccoli slaw (carrots and broccoli)

Whew, I am probably missing a ton still.
Somni is offline   Reply With Quote