Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #1  
nearly there

S/C/G: 145/111/95

Height: 5"1"

Angry It's Official; I'm A Freak

Something is very wrong with me. For the last four weeks, minus one (more about that in a minute) I've been eating an average of 1150 calories a day. To say that sticking to that level hasn't been easy is a major understatement. I've been tired, grumpy, depressed and spacey. Food has been constantly on my mind, yet I haven't really felt like eating. Haven't felt like doing much of anything really. But I knew everything would be worth it if the scale finally moved downwards.

A week ago Friday I weighed myself. Now I know that at my height, age and current weight I shouldn't expect big losses even after three weeks of rock bottom calories. But I lost nothing. Zero, zilch, nada. I was so frustrated and angry I wanted to throw the scale across the room.

Screw it, I said, it's hopeless. For the last week I've been eating. A lot. Over 2000 calories a day. And I've been eating bad food, things I haven't touched in years. Doritos with tuna for lunch, chocolate chip cookies for a snack, ice cream after dinner. Looking back I might have been trying to punish my body for not cooperating.

Anyway yesterday I weighed myself again. I have not gained a single ounce. This was not a relief. I don't lose on low calories, I don't gain on high calories. No matter how much I eat my weight remains stubbornly stuck at 115. What the heck is going on here?
Magrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

You were quite possibly eating too little. I know there are people who will argue this point with me, but, honestly, if you were tired and spacey and didn't feel like doing anything on your calorie intake of 1150, there is a good chance that you were eating too little. And if you eat too little, your body will fight you on the weight loss.

As for not gaining weight, well, that may show up in another week or so. It often isn't an instantaneous thing. But the body can be weird. I have had weeks where I felt certain I had to have gained given everything I ate, but I didn't. What was your exercise like that week?

It's certainly possible that you are at a set point for your body. I never plateaued when losing weight and I ate much more than that, but I know that doesn't make a bit of difference: everyone is unique in their weight-loss journey, and everybody's body knows where it is comfortable. But, again, the symptoms you describe—the tiredness and spaciness? Those are signs that you weren't eating enough.

They can also be signs that you weren't eating the right kinds of food, though. What were you eating?

One more thing: I never plateaued when losing weight, but there was a time that I weighed the same thing for two weeks in a row and then promptly lost four pounds the next day. Sometimes that kind of thing happens. You're carrying water weight or your body is gearing up for change, etc., etc. Sometimes you just have to stick it out and wait for your scale to catch up to your efforts.

Did you not weigh for three weeks? If so, that one day you weighed wasn't necessarily accurate. You might have been retaining water that day. If so, you might really have lost weight—which was hidden by temporary water weight—and then gained it back during your week-long 2,000-calorie punishing diet. That is something else that could explain the number never seeming to change. And if this is the answer, if you get back to eating well right away, you may find that there is still a cumulative loss.

Have you been tracking your measurements? You might also want to try weighing more regularly. I know there are people who can't do this healthily, but if you can handle it it actually does give you perspective. You know when your weight is up because of water retention.

Even if you did lose weight, you should figure out why you've been feeling spacey. It's likely either that you aren't eating foods that give you energy or that you are eating too little.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-29-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Looks like you did actually lose a bit of fat before, but your weight didn't change (perhaps because of your menstrual cycle or water retention) and when the water actually came off, you replaced it with the extra calories you ate.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #4  
Samantha417

It's never recommended to go under 1200 calories, or your body can go into starvation mode. Since you weren't yourself, it may be possible that your body did just that. So when you ate a lot the next week, it didn't show because you were feeding your body!

And like what petite said, your body may be at it's happy weight and it'll be a struggle to go down anymore. And high calorie eating doesn't show automatically the next day.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #5  
nearly there

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly315 View Post
Looks like you did actually lose a bit of fat before, but your weight didn't change (perhaps because of your menstrual cycle or water retention) and when the water actually came off, you replaced it with the extra calories you ate.
I wish it were that simple. But I only get TOM every three or four months now (late stage perimenopause) and when I do get it I go up five or six pounds, can't pee worth a darn and my measurements go up an inch or two. I took my measurements every other day during the low calorie three weeks and they were always the same. Also I wasn't bloated and my smallest jeans fit easily.

So water retention isn't the answer but thanks for trying.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #6  
nearly there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha417 View Post
It's never recommended to go under 1200 calories, or your body can go into starvation mode. Since you weren't yourself, it may be possible that your body did just that. So when you ate a lot the next week, it didn't show because you were feeding your body!

And like what petite said, your body may be at it's happy weight and it'll be a struggle to go down anymore. And high calorie eating doesn't show automatically the next day.
Can starvation mode kick in that quickly? I've always thought it took months of extreme dieting to do that. Before I dropped my calories I had been eating between 1400 and 1800 calories a day. I lost thirty pounds on that level but I've been stuck at five pounds over goal for over a year. I dropped my calories because I'm desperate and I'm so mad that even that didn't work.

My body might be at its happy weight but I'm not.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #7  
nearly there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite Powerhouse View Post
You were quite possibly eating too little. I know there are people who will argue this point with me, but, honestly, if you were tired and spacey and didn't feel like doing anything on your calorie intake of 1150, there is a good chance that you were eating too little. And if you eat too little, your body will fight you on the weight loss.

As for not gaining weight, well, that may show up in another week or so. It often isn't an instantaneous thing. But the body can be weird. I have had weeks where I felt certain I had to have gained given everything I ate, but I didn't. What was your exercise like that week?

It's certainly possible that you are at a set point for your body. I never plateaued when losing weight and I ate much more than that, but I know that doesn't make a bit of difference: everyone is unique in their weight-loss journey, and everybody's body knows where it is comfortable. But, again, the symptoms you describe—the tiredness and spaciness? Those are signs that you weren't eating enough.

They can also be signs that you weren't eating the right kinds of food, though. What were you eating?

One more thing: I never plateaued when losing weight, but there was a time that I weighed the same thing for two weeks in a row and then promptly lost four pounds the next day. Sometimes that kind of thing happens. You're carrying water weight or your body is gearing up for change, etc., etc. Sometimes you just have to stick it out and wait for your scale to catch up to your efforts.

Did you not weigh for three weeks? If so, that one day you weighed wasn't necessarily accurate. You might have been retaining water that day. If so, you might really have lost weight—which was hidden by temporary water weight—and then gained it back during your week-long 2,000-calorie punishing diet. That is something else that could explain the number never seeming to change. And if this is the answer, if you get back to eating well right away, you may find that there is still a cumulative loss.

Have you been tracking your measurements? You might also want to try weighing more regularly. I know there are people who can't do this healthily, but if you can handle it it actually does give you perspective. You know when your weight is up because of water retention.

Even if you did lose weight, you should figure out why you've been feeling spacey. It's likely either that you aren't eating foods that give you energy or that you are eating too little.
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I know my calories were a bit low during the those three weeks. Trouble is I have no idea of what calorie level to aim for now. Before I decided to lose weight for what I hoped was the very last time I had been maintaining 145 pounds on approximately 2500 calories a day, without exercise . I was out of work and spent ninety percent of my awake time sitting in front of the computer job searching. When I got a job I immediately dropped a few pounds due to the increased activity. That spurred me to try to lose more weight. I dropped my calories to between 1500 and 1800 a day, added exercise, and over the next three years slowly lost thirty pounds, putting me at 115. And there I've been ever since.

I first tried dropping my calories by a hundred or two less a day. Didn't work. It should have because according to various online activity calculators I burn over two thousand calories a day over my BMR. But 1400 calories a day left me still stuck at 115, as did 1300 and 1200. I lowered my calories further in a desperate last ditch attempt to lose the darn five pounds that lies between me and my weight loss goal. When even three weeks of near starvation dieting did nothing to move the scale I was furious, with the scale, with my body, with everything.

Last week, when I ate 2000 calories a day my exercise was exactly the same as it had been when I was eating less than 1200. And except for a few naughty additions I ate pretty much the same the high calorie week as I did the three low calorie weeks; oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and protein and vegetables for dinner

I'm scared that you are right and that I am at my set-point. But 115 is, to my mind, much too heavy for somebody only just over five feet tall. In fact by aiming for a weight of 110 pounds I'm being conservative. What I really want is to weigh 100 pounds, but I know that ain't going to happen unless I get a terminal illness. Isn't there some way of getting below one's setpoint?

I didn't weigh for three weeks because if the number isn't the one I'd hoped for I tend to get depressed.. But I took my measurements every day. And they did not change one bit from the first day to the last. Today, several days after the last day of my high calorie week they still have not changed.

My body is clinging to 115 pounds with the tenacity of a rabid wolverine.

I am honestly at my wits end here. Why is it so hard for me to drop five measely pounds? This site is filled with (mostly) women who get to their goal weights. Why can't I be one of them?

Sorry for the long rant, it's been a rough day.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #8  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Magrat, perhaps part of the problem is that you are eating the same thing(s) all the time? I suggest trying to break your weight plateau by doing 2 things; one is 'zigzagging" calories around a certain average; if you want to average 1200, aim for 1000 cal one day, then 1400 the next (or alternate 2 low days with 2 high ones). The other thing would be to switch up the protein/carb/fat ratio. Your diet looks like it's about 50-60% carbs, and 20-30% protein (you can check by inputting a typical food day into a program like Fitday- it will tell you). Try a couple of weeks with 30% carbs, 30% fat and 40% protein. Final suggestion for getting those last 5 (or 15) pounds off, is to increase your exercise. You don't say what you're doing now, but aim for 2-3 days/week of resistance training and 3-4 days/week of cardio (at least 40 min per session).

HTH,
Andrea
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #9  

I totally understand your rant. You have no need to apologize to anyone. You have been at this so long and are trying so hard: anyone would be at their wit's end. I really hope that you can figure this out and get where you would like to be.

What kind of exercise are you doing now? I am convinced that the reason I lose weight pretty easily is because I do a lot of strength training and cardio.

Changing up exercise can also have a really good effect. Your body gets used to doing the same thing, just as it gets used to eating the same thing, so shaking things up is good.

In fact, it's possible that your week of 2,000 calories could help you in the long run. It's good to give your body a little calories boost from time to time to get the metabolic engine moving again.

Finally, I think you really might want to try weighing daily for the next few weeks, just to get an idea of how much your body is affected by sodium, liquids, carbs, etc. I still wonder if maybe you did lose some weight but on the day you weighed you were retaining water or dealing with undigested food or accumulated waste and the like. There are just so many reasons our weight fluctuates. I almost never weigh the same thing from one day to the next.

If you want to hold off on weighing for another three weeks, I would suggest that, when you do weight again, weigh yourself for about four or five days in a row. Give your body time to show you if you did lose but water weight or some such was masking it.

I so wish there were a way to tell people how much they can really eat and lose weight. Maybe you could go and see someone with a metabolic analyzer? I don't know how effective those are, though. I don't know that much about them.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 08-31-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

First of all, . I can feel your frustration coming through your posts.

Second of all, no need to apologize for a rant. That's what we're here for.

Third, I second what neurodoc says. When you're stalled, it is time to mix it up. New recipes, new foods, new exercise. You mention you are perimenopausal, so you are probably losing muscle mass. Time to really hit the weights. Not 5 pound weights either. Try for heavier weights and fewer reps to build muscle. You won't get bulky.

(I know a lot of people on the exercise forum love something called New Rules of Weightlifting for Women.)

And lastly, . I hope tomorrow is a better day!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #11  

Changing things up is good for the soul as well. You stay interested and motivated; you keep the endorphins surging. A happy brain can help make a happy body. And, on the other end, when you are upset and stressed? These things can actually make you retain or gain weight—and not just because they can lead to overeating. There are chemical connections between mind and body that influence weight.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 09-01-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #12  
Samantha417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magrat View Post
Can starvation mode kick in that quickly? I've always thought it took months of extreme dieting to do that. Before I dropped my calories I had been eating between 1400 and 1800 calories a day. I lost thirty pounds on that level but I've been stuck at five pounds over goal for over a year. I dropped my calories because I'm desperate and I'm so mad that even that didn't work.

My body might be at its happy weight but I'm not.
I'm not sure how quickly it can kick in...but when I've heard on the news and such about that fact, they never have a time range either. I think it depends on the person. But obviously the beginning signs of it start when you're eating low calories and you're just exhausted all of the time and you don't have any energy. Your body is going to try to find that energy somewhere else.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:25 AM   #13  
nearly there

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
Magrat, perhaps part of the problem is that you are eating the same thing(s) all the time? I suggest trying to break your weight plateau by doing 2 things; one is 'zigzagging" calories around a certain average; if you want to average 1200, aim for 1000 cal one day, then 1400 the next (or alternate 2 low days with 2 high ones). The other thing would be to switch up the protein/carb/fat ratio. Your diet looks like it's about 50-60% carbs, and 20-30% protein (you can check by inputting a typical food day into a program like Fitday- it will tell you). Try a couple of weeks with 30% carbs, 30% fat and 40% protein. Final suggestion for getting those last 5 (or 15) pounds off, is to increase your exercise. You don't say what you're doing now, but aim for 2-3 days/week of resistance training and 3-4 days/week of cardio (at least 40 min per session).

HTH,
Andrea
Thanks for the reply.

I've been zigzagging calories all along but thanks for the tip. In the last week I've made a real effort to cut down on carbs. Breakfast is still my most carb heavy meal, but I don't have carbs in the morning every day anymore. If I have carbs for breakfast I have protein for lunch. If I have protein for breakfast I might still have a sandwich for lunch but now I limit myself to one slice of whole grain bread. Supper remains as it was, protein and veggies.

By "resistance training" do you mean weights? Currently I do kettlebell swings (20 pound bell) for twenty minutes every day and do squats, lunges and deadlifts with a fifty pound barbell for thirty minutes every other day. I powerwalk for thirty minutes every day during my lunch break and hike trails for an hour after work with my DH and my dog.

As I've mentioned before I have a physical job and if exercise can be loosely defined as any activity that gets your heart rate up and makes you sweat then I am exercising all day long.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #14  
nearly there

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
First of all, . I can feel your frustration coming through your posts.

Second of all, no need to apologize for a rant. That's what we're here for.

Third, I second what neurodoc says. When you're stalled, it is time to mix it up. New recipes, new foods, new exercise. You mention you are perimenopausal, so you are probably losing muscle mass. Time to really hit the weights. Not 5 pound weights either. Try for heavier weights and fewer reps to build muscle. You won't get bulky.

(I know a lot of people on the exercise forum love something called New Rules of Weightlifting for Women.)

And lastly, . I hope tomorrow is a better day!
Thanks for the reply.

One question: Do all perimenopausal women automatically lose muscle mass even if they've stayed active. I ask because, although I struggle with the weight loss I'm still very strong and my measurements are on the small side, both of which would seem to indicate I still have plenty of muscle.

I do work out with weights and have for years. I currently use a twenty pound kettlebell every day, a fifty pound barbell every other day and, occasionally ten pound dumbells ( 2 or 3 times a week).
Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 152/148/135

Height: 5'5"

It's got to be frustrating to be so close to your goal!

The only thing I can say is that if you're feeling tired and lightheaded or irritable, you probably aren't eating enough of what your body needs. I'm sure that since you've been losing weight for so long (and you sound like you have a very healthy lifestyle, congrats!) you know how to feed yourself nutrient-dense foods like tomatoes and dark greens and lean proteins and (blahblahblah) all those things folks that are restricting calories need to be sure to get.

But with the level of activity you seem to get daily, your poor body was probably just hungry!

My only thought is that you need to change up your exercise routine. I've never been an uber-fit gal, but from my friends who train for different sports, sometimes to get to your max fitness you need to really throw your body off kilter and get it doing something it isn't used to. Different resistance exercises, different cardio...

Maybe your body just needs to be challenged!

Either way, congratulations on getting so far and for maintaining such a healthy lifestyle! I hope you reach your goal.
Lula Belle is offline   Reply With Quote