Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #61  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default 16-22

Good morning everyone! Rise and shine!!

Today will be day 3 of my new woe. i bought a tape measure yesterday, but clearly it should have come with a copy of Measuring For Dummies. i'm trying to do chest, waist, hips...but dont exactly know where to measure for the last one. Is it around the butt?, around the hipbones themselves?, or is it further down where my thighs are? How very apparent it is that i don't make my own clothes.

Also, this house seems to have sloping floors and i have a dial scale with the tiny lines, so i seem to be carrying the stupid thing from room to room trying to get an acurate reading, but who knows. would a digital scale make any difference?
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinnythighs View Post
Good morning everyone! Rise and shine!!

Today will be day 3 of my new woe. i bought a tape measure yesterday, but clearly it should have come with a copy of Measuring For Dummies. i'm trying to do chest, waist, hips...but dont exactly know where to measure for the last one. Is it around the butt?, around the hipbones themselves?, or is it further down where my thighs are? How very apparent it is that i don't make my own clothes.

Also, this house seems to have sloping floors and i have a dial scale with the tiny lines, so i seem to be carrying the stupid thing from room to room trying to get an acurate reading, but who knows. would a digital scale make any difference?
There are commercial clothing websites with good measuring indicators. I use llbean.com a lot. Most clothing catalogues (can you tell where I shop?) will also have a guide with their ordering form.

As for the scale there should be little feet on it that you can adjust to level it. You do need a level surface for both "needle" and digital scales. A carpenters level will help you find a spot in the house where the scale is level. And also don't use (but you know this) the scale on any kind of carpeting. I did that once at a client's house (carpeting in the bathroom??) and scared myself silly. I had gained 9 lbs. over the week. Off the carpet I had lost one.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #63  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

Default Good Morning!

Feeling awesome!

Already swam a kilometre this morning in 40 minutes. And I didn't have to convince myself to get up this morning. I wanted to! Wow! Love that!

Did great yesterday (I did my first day of the c25k challenge) and I expect the same thing to continue today.

KEEP ON KEEPING ON!

IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL SO STRONG!

DON'T GIVE UP!!

MOVE YOUR BUTT!!

EAT LOTS OF GREENS!!!
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #64  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Carolyn - Wow, that is some excellent cheerleading.....I almost got up to go for my run, but coffee 1st.

I am thinking that since I have been steadily gaining for the past 6-8 months that enough is enough. Time to commit back to weight loss before it has all been undone.

There I said it - now I need to set up a plan.

Have a great day fellow maintainers and good luck maintaining control on the w/e.

-S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Well, the good news is that I'm back to pre-vacation weight this morning. The bad news is that I still feel like a slug. Hopefully my resolve to lose will continue through the weekend and I'll stay OP and come Monday I'll be down another pound. I'm still hoping this is pre-TOM water weight (but I don't usually get that so I don't know).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

They finally let me go home at 6:30 this morning. I crawled into bed and died! DS woke me at 11:30 because he remembered about my hair appt. I cancelled and crawled righ back into bed. I rolled out shortly after four and remembered I had another appt wrt contacts at five.
We're going to try monovision ... which isn't as bad as I'd thought!
I came home to change into running shoes and a sweater. It's Moonlight Madness in our little town this evening. I'm going to let the church feed me a hotdog, wander thru the sidewalk sales and come home and crawl right back in!
I haven't had anything to eat since 4 am and feel like a nauseous blump!

I'll be more positive and perky in the morning. I promise!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 06:34 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I have turned into a soft marshmallow this week. I 'forgot' to weigh this morning. Ugh.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:13 AM   #68  

Morning everyone! I'm feeling much better now!

I did something I don't do very often and haven't filled out fitday for two days. There is no way I can quantify what I ate overnight Thurs to Fri. I went to work with enough nice stuff for one shift ... and yesterday was about 6 hours awake with hotdogs and oatmeal

I should weigh myself this morning when I get to work and see what effect that mess had on me. I feel kinda bloaty and puffy and wouldn't be surprised. I really think regular sleep patterns have a bigger effect on fluid balance than we assume.

I'm going to try to muddle through today eating clean and drinking lots of water. Maybe I'll go for a nice walk later. Maybe some back or shoulders would be nice. Probably depends on what my family is up to later.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #69  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default 16-22

Ok, i'm at a loss here, and not the good kind. i switched from low cal to low carb because i had such a success with it before. Was dropping weight every day. This time around, nothing. Not an inch, not a pound. i've been counting all carbs, exercising, drinking lots of water...nada. Nothing. Zilch. Still 155.

Only thing left to do is to go back to counting calories and hope for the best. i'm a little discouraged today. Don't understand how i can eat nothing but protien and not be in ketosis after 5 days. Starting a new job tomorrow where i'll be on my feet all day. Hopefully the increased activity will help some. Maybe i need a personal trainer. Someone who will push me to workout hard and not give up. They're probably pretty expensive, though.

Giving myself this one day off to relax and regroup so that i can begin again tomorrow, since Sunday is the start of a new week for me diet-wise.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:35 AM   #70  
Living Light

S/C/G: 171/171/160

sznn Thank you! The cheer gave me a smile too! Did you end up running after your coffee?

Mudpie Good for you for staying OP through all those disappointing shifts in your career! Having your own business can be quite a roller coaster at times can't it. You'll figure out what you have to do to continue doing what you love. Just give it time.

Did Day 2 of the c25k challenge, so my day is off to the right start. I am off to a BBQ this afternoon. I am going to stay OP except for a glass of wine, I figure.

Have a great day, everyone!
Clykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:59 AM   #71  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

thinnythighs~don't be discouraged! Perhaps 5 days isn't enough. Give it another 2 and see what happens. I'm sure that once you are on your new job the weight will fly off. You'll be so busy you won't have time to eat!

Claire~I feel like a marshmallow, too. Soft and rather lumpy. I really need to get moving, but the weather here is just too ugh to go out (110 degrees and a chance of rain so you can imagine the humidity).

Susan~I'd feel bloated after a hot dog, too. I really don't like hot dogs at all whereas my sister says they are her favorite food. I love tomatoes and she refuses to eat them. I wonder if we're really related? LOL

Clykk~I've often thought about doing the c25k. It's too hot to start now, but perhaps in the fall. Did you have to buy a stop watch or do you time yourself with a wrist watch?

I need to plan out our meals for the week so I can get to the grocery store. If I do all my chores today we'll go see a movie tomorrow perhaps. Everyone have a great day!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #72  

S/C/G: 168.5/167.5/140

Height: 5' 1"

Well, I've been to the cardiologist and the good news is is that he thinks that I'm suffering from anxiety. Which is a relief. But he's still going to make me get on a treadmill for one last test. So I guess I'll use that as a motivator to get my butt off the couch and to eat better. This is something I need to do anyways, but now I have something to work for.

Also it would seem that my anxiety is getting better with the help of meds. I haven't had any chest pain for the last week or so, which is something I'm incredibly happy about. I'll let you guys know if I make anymore improvements.
Dawnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 09:01 PM   #73  
Whittlin

S/C/G: 170/144/140

Height: 5'6"

Great news, dawnslight. I'm so happy for you that you can stop stressing over the diagnosis, now. That alone will reduce the anxiety level. I once had a dr. (she was a neurologist, I believe) tell me that she was about to decide stress could literally cause any symptom! Getting a baseline treadmill now will be a good thing for your dr to have on file, so you can feel virtuous.

sznn, yep, rein it back in! Good luck.

GreenT, I am the peaches and blueberries queen right now! Looooove it!

I am in the middle of my "next 7 days" of pristine eating - sorta. Waving to July enthusiasts abbyin, Dagmar and Illene! Well, today was pristine - some of my choices on the last few days I wouldn't hold up for examination. Sigh. Social pressures came out of the blue and blindsided me. I am an introvert and react to too much social stuff with comfort-eating. I was so sure I wasn't going to need to readjust my schedule but... ...might extend the attempt at great eating 2 more days until Friday before I start back with some treats.

A few good choices today - kiwi; big salad with egg; carrot/squash (shredded) sandwich on sun-dried-tomato flavor whole-grain tortilla; strawberries and half-banana blended with skim milk and choc SlimFast powder (my only smidgen of simple-carbs today! Yay!); mucho water. Also I exercised for about 50 minutes.
Whittlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #74  

Morning!

Anxiety can be a horrifying thing. It's like a masked enemy. I had myself pretty much convinced that I was just old, worn out, an anitsocial hermit who would soon have to stop working and be in my house because of various aches and pains and symptoms.
Symptoms beget symptoms and thinking about your symptoms causes even more symptoms. It's a revelation to start working toward feeling better.
I believe that anxiety is still an fairly unrecognised component of depression.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:37 AM   #75  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up SusanB you're right again!

"I believe that anxiety is still an fairly unrecognised component of depression."

I never put those two together before but it makes absolute sense. I've always been a bit shy socially (stand alone in the corner vs introducing myself to everyone) and I generally feel very anxious about life's occurences vs very optimistic.

I've been treated for depression with various drugs and it was pointed out to me by DH that I self-medicated for the anxiety with alcohol for years. I managed to overcome the depression but the anxiety still lurks, now coming out in overeating for no (at the time) apparent reason.

If I think of all the people I've met over the years it seems many of them had the combination of anxiety/depression. And many of them ate to try to relieve it.

There must be a study somewhere.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote