Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #46  
Ilene the Bean

Dang Anne, you poor girl, hope you feel better soon, take your vitamins!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:57 AM   #47  

Height: 5'5"

Default 5k/10k questions

I have a few questions for you race runners. I hope you don't mind. If a 5k and 10k are offered at the same event, do they start out on the same path with the 10k continuing on further? I can see that the 10k might wrap back around so that the runners end up in the same location where they started from, but what about the 5k runners? Do they have to walk back the length of the 5k in order to get back to the starting line or where ever the after party is? I ask because I talked my mother into walking an upcoming 5k with me. She can walk the 3.1 miles comfortably but asked me if she was going to have to walk the 3.1 miles back as well. I didn't know what to tell her. I am referring to the Irongirl 5k/10k race, in case any of you have particapated in one of these events. Thanks for your help!
webweevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #48  

Height: 5'7"

Webweevil, I have never seen a 5K/10K that wasn't either a loop, or an out-and-back. And a good part of the time, the 10K will just be 2 loops. The best bet though is to check with your race organizer, or look for a course map on the race website--Irongirl should have one. I'm reasonably sure that you wouldn't have to walk all the way back to the start, but there is no standard for these things, so I'd check.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #49  
No description available.

The 5K I ran was half out and half back and the finish line was the start line. They should have a map for you...How exciting!! Good luck!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:43 AM   #50  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

webweevil, I'd have to say it depends on the event. Some races I've been to run mutiple loops and the number you run depends on which distance you're running. The start times are sometimes the same and sometimes different for the different times. Some races were completely separate routes. One of my favourites was a point to point race, where everyone started at the same time, but at a different point along the race route depending on race distance.

Anne, I hope you're feeling better soon.

I was out this morning for a humid 20.5km. I love cutback week long runs (and I can't believe I can think of 20km as a cutback!).
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #51  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Me
(and I can't believe I can think of 20km as a cutback!).
Neither can I ... Man you're good to go out in this humidity, I wish I could...

But I did bike to the gym, ran 5k, then did some weights, then biked 22k... so it's all good....
Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #52  

ooo were only on W2 D1 (run 2 walk 4 x5) today ...

we are sgned up to do 5k on 3rd september !.. eeek.... (were doing the hyde park one as we live in london!)

http://www.womenschallenge.co.uk/

will be kinda a milestone.. as the 8 sept was the last day i did my usual job i have been off sick/ non clinical since...(until i start my new job when the CRB checks are done)
so i must be gettin better!! wooo hoo at last!
lou1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #53  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Out for 2.5 miles this morning That's if the route planner thingy I use is to be believed. anyway, approx 30 mins of running, longer than last time, and before breakfast, so can't be bad!

Just have to get my nerve up for that long run...
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:05 PM   #54  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Hello, I'm back from spain now! For the first time I actually ran over there, 2 3 mile runs over the 10 days I was away. Not much, but I wanted to give myself a bit of a rest from marathon training and built an extra week into my schedule to accommodate it. Some of the little niggles feel a lot better now. I'm back into a step down week which should be good for easing me back into it, only 5 miles in the morning!

There seemed to be far fewer runners over there, unless they were running at different times, but on Sunday when I ran I had a bit of a look of recognition from a couple of other runners as I caught them and then dashed past them. I would say a conversation, but it was mainly them talking, me trying to understand and replying with a quick hola before being dragged into a conversation that was too difficult for my basic (but improving!) Spanish!!!

Anyway, back now and hopefully I'll feel good when I pick up the mileage again.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 AM   #55  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I managed 5.4 miles yesterday morning and 4.4 miles this morning. It seemed to be far easier to get back into it than it was last time I went away on holiday, which is all good.

And I ran in the rain for the first time this morning! I've only recently started doing all my runs outside, and with it being summer it hasn't rained that much (or not on running days anyway), but today I got good and wet in a heavy shower, and it wasn't that bad at all!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #56  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Yesterday evening I ran outside for the first time! And of course, it went fine...I mentioned a while ago that I was hesitant about it, since I had a comfort zone on the treadmill etc., but I joined in on a group run (a Learn to Run group) and it was a lot of fun! We did 3 sets of 6 min. running/1 min. walking. No prob. I was fine with breathing/talking while running (since I go for longer periods on the treadmill), but my muscles felt it a bit more - I expect that's because of the varying inclines outside, while on the treadmill I just run on it flat. And since I enjoyed it so much, I'm thinking about joining in on their open runs which they have twice a week. Go me!
Lekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:21 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

I had to come over and brag a little. I'm in the middle of the C25K program, and I completed my first ever 20 minute constant run last night. I did do this on a track in A/C due to bad air quality and heat outside, so I feel like I cheated a little I even amazed my dh who didn't think I would be able to do it; heck, I didn't think I would be able to do it! It just feels so good to accomplish this little thing!

And I owe thanks to all of you here for inspiring me and even teaching me through this forum.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 PM   #58  
Jennifer

Congrats, Softballmom! It is truly a great feeling, isn't it?

I haven't posted here (or anywhere, actually) in a while, but wanted to post about something funny that happened to me recently. A few weeks ago we went to Maine for a long weekend, and one morning I woke up to take a nice long run. I'd never run for more than 30 minutes straight before, but this day was different. I don't know if it was the niceness of running outside (I usually run on a treadmill) or what, but after about 20 minutes I got this thing I can only describe as a runner's high. I've had it before in a smaller way, but I was PUMPED. I ended up running for 45 minutes straight and probably could have gone longer if I hadn't needed to get ready for a little day trip. I had a huge ridiculous smile on my face (oh, to have been someone driving by!), my pace quickened, and I felt like the world was MINE.

Does this happen to anybody else? It was my first time experiencing this so intensely, and it was awesome. Since then I've started running a lot more frequently and really am getting into it!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #59  
Ilene the Bean

Lekker -- Running groups are the best, I have one that starts from September to May and I NEVER miss our bi-weekly runs...

Teapot -- Missed you girl!! Yes, that runners high is THE best thing... I wish I could find it every single time I go out, but it ain't so ...

It's been so hot that all I've been doing is running the dreadmill, and only 5k, every day almost though so it's all good...
Old 07-22-2006, 02:04 AM   #60  
just a few more...

S/C/G: 138/112.4/105

Height: 5'1"

hi everyone, I kinda happened upon this thread and thought I'd join. I have been running for about a year on and off. I ran my first 8k last Nov, then a 10k this past April. A friend and I recently signed up for a 10k in Oct and a repeat of the same 8k in Nov.

Aug 12th starts an 8 wk training plan for the 10k so that will be educational. There's so much I dont know and need to learn about form and pace,etc , etc. I have been working on increasing my pace by doing faster short runs. Yesterday I ran 2 mi on the treadmill in 17:58 a personal best but it did kick my butt so I need to keep working on it. Today ran outside at NOON in the 95+ heat, god that sucked. Only went about 3 mi in my bootcamp class but then they had us do sprints and run up and down the parking garage, I started to see pretty lights...

So of you are really doing long runs. I am totally impressed and glad to jump in here to soak up your passion and knowledge.

Hey Stephie-you still doing SBD? I've moved on to the Sonoma board jsut to keep it new and fun
batmomm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote