Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-27-2005, 04:28 PM   #46  

yume - welcome to the thread! I am pretty close to you, over the river in Arlington. Active.com has a lot of races in the DC area. It seems there is a race in the area every week. I am in a running group that is training for the Marine Corp Marathon. Last day to register is Sat. We meet weekly for long runs on Sat mornings at the Penatgaon. Check out dcfit.net. Upcoming races that I am planning to participate in are Lawyers Have Heart on June 11, Quantico Half Marathon on Sept 24 and Army 10-miler on Oct 2. I am not doing Marine Corp this year due to a prior commitment, but am hoping to do the Las Vegas Marathon in Dec. It amazes me how much is around our area. Stop in a running store (MetroSports, Georgetown Running are both downtown) and pick up a Race Packet or MetroSports magazine (both free) and look at all that is available. It will pretty much knock you socks off.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:43 PM   #47  

Default I did it!

Yes I did - today was the day I registered for the Las Vegas Marathon (Dec 4) - I am now entered and 6 months from now I will be back to tell you all I finished! Woo Woo!!
Old 05-27-2005, 08:54 PM   #48  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
Yes I did - today was the day I registered for the Las Vegas Marathon (Dec 4) - I am now entered and 6 months from now I will be back to tell you all I finished! Woo Woo!!
WOOHOO GO ELLEN GO !!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:26 AM   #49  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

GO ELLEN! You're brave. I briefly considered switching to training for the marathon here at the end of August rather than the half. That lasted about 1/2 hour of looking at marathon training schedules before I decided to stick with the half distance for this year.

Short and easy 4.5k run this morning in cool temps and drizzle. It was like running through a cloud. But at least there wasn't much wind. It'll probably be pouring rain with tornado winds for my long run tomorrow. I think this is our 4th weekend in a row with awful weather. What happened to spring? It's almost June and the leaves aren't fully out on the trees quite yet.

yume, an alternative to websites is to check at sports/running stores near you. That's how I found out about the 10k I'm doing next weekend.

Leanne, good luck today! I'm sure you're already on your way to Ottawa. It's considerably longer than a 2hour drive for me, although it sounds like you're making a nice weekend of it. Hope it went well.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #50  

Good Luck Leanne!!

I did 6 miles to day in 1:19:47. I feel great. It turns out more people from my running group are talking about Las Vegas now. Nothing like running with friends! Off to yoga (my treat for doing the run) - have a great weekend
Old 05-28-2005, 03:42 PM   #51  

Hey all,

today I did my training run for couch to 5k. I've completed my second week and so far I'm feeling pretty good. Something I've noticed that is really different about jogging/running compared to aerobics which is what I used to do exclusively, I get a huge high when I jog versus doing my step aerobics. I don't know why -- maybe it's because running is so much more physically demanding. Don't get me wrong...I love doing my step aerobics but I get a much bigger adrenaline rush from running than I do from my other activities. Anyone else notice this?

I notice a lot of you saying, "Oh today I did an easy 3 mile run...etc" I can't wait until I can say that!!
WazzuGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 04:23 AM   #52  
~ Natalie ~

Hi Everyone ~

I have been walking for about six months now and found myself ready to take it up a notch so I joined a gym a month ago and started walking on the treadmill. Unfortuntely....every time I have gone....there is no else there using the treadmills so I don't have something to compare myself with.

Here is an example of what I have been doing. I started out at 3.0 one month ago and have worked up to 3.5. Last week I started some jogging at a speed of 4.5. Is this a good speed for beginners?

See you soon ~ Natalie
WalkingGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 11:52 AM   #53  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

Wazzugirl, good for you for doing c25k. I started running last summer using that program and found it really eased me into running more easily than I expected. A year ago I never thought I'd call a 3 mile run (or any run for that matter) "easy". But now when I say that, I really just mean that I wasn't going for any sort of pace or intervals or anything, just going out for a short, slow jog to loosen up my legs and enjoy the scenery.

Walkinggal, I've never used a treadmill for running, but if 4.5 means 4.5mph, (just over 13 minutes per mile) then I'd say that's a pretty decent speed to start out with--not too slow, not too fast. What's more important though, is how it feels to you. From an exercise perspective I think it's better to start slow and be able to run longer than to sprint and get out of breath quickly and have to stop or walk really slowly.

18k for me this morning. I left later than usual, and luckily the rain was almost done by then, and stopped altogether about 15 minutes into the run. And NO WIND today! It makes for a much more pleasant experience when I don't feel like I'm running through water (thanks Ilene for that very apt comparison).
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #54  

Thumbs up

Yume: On runningroom.com they have running/walking event listings.

Leanne: Hope you had fun at your run! Safe driving back home!

Ellen: Marathon! You go girl... you're my hero.

Natalie: 4.5 sounds like a good speed for begginers. When I made the break from walking to running I started at 4.3... at first you feel like you should be going faster, but once you've gone for about 15-20 minutes you wish you were back in bed.

I did about 3.5K before work yesterday. It was so beautiful outside at 6:30am that I really enjoyed it. No run this morning. 7th day she rested.
KristinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 12:26 PM   #55  
Ilene the Bean

It's been gorgeous here for two days!! Can't believe that! Yesterday I did about 7k but I went out at 5PM and it was still way too hot! I didn't enjoy it at all... This morning I jogged to the gym 2.5K did back and biceps then jogged back taking the long way. It was extremely nice out nice and cool NO wind ....

Wazzu -- I did aerobic classes for years and NOTHING gives me the adrenaline rush that running does, I think it's just the intensity of it ... I love it though

Natalie -- Do what feels the best for you and take your time to bring up your speed, there's really no rush ... If I remember correctly that's about the speed I started at 4.5mph ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:34 PM   #56  
~ Natalie ~

Happy Sunday everyone ~

Today I walked/jogged 2.5 miles on the treadmill. I bumped up the speed a bit and found myself jogging at 5.1 mph for a few minutes, however, most of my jogging was done at 4.5 mph. Man....did I ever work up a sweat...and the adrenaline rush was awesome!!! I have taken some time to read a few things on the Cool Running website and I really like it. Maybe someday I will consider thinking about running in an advertised run for our area.

Wazzu Girl ~ Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I can't wait to say...."I did and easy 3 mile run either". LOL

Only Me ~ Awesome job on running in the 18K.

Spanky ~ Thanks so much for the comparison on the treadmill speeds.

Ilene ~ Isn't it awesome when Canada has awesome weather? I can so relate living in Minnesota....lol. Thanks again for the comparisons on the treadmill too.
WalkingGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 02:07 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

I just got back from the track. Did some cardio this morning but couldn't pass up a run outside so I got in two miles. Michigan is gorgeous right now. It was hotter when I ran today as compared to my last two early AM runs but that sun in my face felt like heaven. There was a light breeze so I didn't get too hot but I know going forward, I will wear a tank top under my shirt so if I need to, I can take my shirt off.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote