Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #3

Goood morning Cool Runners !!

Thought I'd start a new thread the old one was getting kinda longish...

No running for me today, a good leg workout is on my schedule ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

I ran my last pre-race 20+km run on the weekend. The weather was awful. Overcast, extreme wind warning, although only a bit of rain. A couple of times gusts of wind blew my foot into the other ankle when I lifted my foot. So I figure if I can do 21km in a decent time under those conditions, I should be able to manage it on race day. My last challenge is to find a pair of shorts to run in and try them out in the next couple of weeks to make sure they're comfy while running. MEC makes a shorts version of the pants I run in, so I'll probably try those first. And then I just need to keep running between now and then and make it to the start line on time and injury free. Why does the same distance seem so much more intimidating in a race though?

Anne--Glad to hear you're finally feeling more like yourself and enjoyed a great run. I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes as smoothly. (Amazing how the first trimester can really zap your energy isn't it?)

Ilene--Sorry to hear you're having foot/shoe troubles. Are you still planning on running the 10k on the weekend?

Tiki--Great job on the 4 miles + challenge.
Only Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Cool Runners

Only lme -- Yes, I do intend to run the 10K... I do think I've been tying my runners too tightly... Sunday and Today I tied them extremely loosely and it helped a lot!

I ran 6k this morning with my new running partner and we did some 4:1 (I always wondered do you put the running minutes first or is it the second # ) anyways, we ran 4 mins/walked 1, I really really like that and we have a good pace together, although she's a bit slower than I am I don't mind at all I just enjoy her company. I'm really glad we found each other... I sound like I found a new lover or something ... NOT just a great running partner...

It's gorgeous here in eastern Ontario, how is it everywhere else?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #4  
~*~Tara~*~

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Height: 5' 7"

Hi ladies! I hope this is a good place for me to get some answers, if you don't mind me butting into your thread.

Last week, I saw an ad for the Danskin Triathlon in Fitness magazine, and noticed that one of the locations in right by me in NJ. Ever since, I have been unable to shake the feeling that this is something I should go for. I really want to compete!

However, I have never been one to have a regular exercise routine. In fact, the last time I exercised on a regular basis was in high school gym class, 12 years ago!

So, my question is, can someone give me an idea of a good start up routine of walkin/running to get me into shape? The 5K run is the part that is really concerning me right now. I can swim very well, and am near the ocean to practice to build up endurance, and I can easily bike the 11 miles, though I will probably need to build my endurance back up for that too. The running, though, is a problem. Even back in high school when I was in shape, I was never able to run for more than a few paces before losing my breathe, so I am really going to need to work hard on that one.

Where to start?
celticscryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:22 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Tara welcome to Cool Runners... here is a site that is good http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/default.asp
same site Couch to 5k... http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cm...p?articleid=24
Hope this helps .... Good luck !!
Old 04-27-2005, 07:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5'7"

Only, thanks! It feels so good to be almost feeling like myself again. I just got in a pair of maternity fitness shorts, so I have no clothing excuses now. Sounds like you survived a very tough training run, so you're sure to have that race licked now!

Ilene, good to hear about the shoes. Glad it's an easy and a cheap fix. Interestingly enough I had a training partner who had problems with shin splints when her shoes were tied too loosely. So aim for the happy medium! And I bet you thought you learned to tie your shoes long, long ago!

Tara, congrats on thinking about a Danskin tri! I love triathlon--such a fun sport. Ilene pointed you to a great site filled with lots of goodies. But don't worry about the run. In tri lots and lots of people walk part or all of the run. Good for you on doing the training, but don't let it intimidate you.

I just got back from a long business trip and I'm totally wiped out, plus I'm off a couple time zones. Just finished up my supper and it's just after 4 p.m. here. Might have to go to bed before 7 tonight! Maybe this means I'll get up early enough tomorrow to have another run.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:28 PM   #7  
funnybunny

S/C/G: 255/250/155

Height: 5' 9"

Hi everyone!
I am so glad I found this thread. Decided to change my life in January and restricted my calories and started running. I started with a walk/run program of 1:1 and am now running 3 miles 5 days a week. I hope to do the PF Changs Rock-n-Roll 1/2 Marathon next Jan. I hate rest days... I feel so lazy. The pounds have really started to come off, but more importantly my running is improving. The running has become the motivator and weight loss a side benefit!
anthemfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Another newbie runner !! Welcome anthemfamily !! Welcome to our world...

I didn't run today, I will definitely tomorrow...

I'm very disappointed that my first 10k run on Saturday is forecasting 70% rain !! Any suggestions for running in the rain?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:38 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

Welcome anthemfamily! Good for you on running, but take those rest days--you'll need 'em. Although, I usually walked or did something low key on my rest days, come to think of it. I ran PF Chang's twice, the half in '04, and the full this year. It is a very classy and well-supported race, well worth making it a goal race.

Ilene, I really don't know much about running in the rain, living here in Tucson. It doesn't rain often enough to come up! I hear chafing can be more of a problem when clothes are wet so use the vaseline or body glide generously if you need it, and you'll probably want some kind of rain gear for pre- and post- run, so that you don't get cold. Will you have a handler or fan section that can hold your stuff for you?

I got out today! Only took 12 hrs of sleep to recover from my trip. 2.5 mi, 40 min run/walk. Went very well. I'm starting to get pretty round though. People are looking.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Anne, nice run/walk you did there today. I bet you are CUTE with your roundness so just let 'em look and keep on doing what you are doing.

I got in another 4 miler this AM, 3 straight running and the 4th alternating between sprints and walking. I almost ran into an elliptical today, cause I cut a curve to close. Gotta be careful on those sprints especially when there are other people on the track I have to dodge. I would definitely lose cool points if I crashed.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #11  

Ilene - I hope your weather will be like mine was last weekend - forecast of rain and thunderstorms ... poured all night Fri .. Sat morning bright and sunny through race ... went out for breakfast ... came out and it was cloudy ... rained all Sat afternoon and night.

The advice I had was: wear a hat, wicking clothing, watch your step and remember to breathe. Hmm - this was probably good advice no matter what the weather

Good Luck!!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #12  

Welcome Tara and anthemfamily!

tiki, crashing into the equipment would definitely lose cool points. And hurt too. I fell last winter after slipping on ice and was rather glad that there was no one around to see it.

Anne, glad to hear you're up to exercising again. I did not even know such a thing as fitness mat. shorts existed. I bet they're comfy though. Do they provide any support to the belly? Whenever I hear about women running until they're 8 months or so pregnant, I wonder how they did it when even brisk walking at that point made my belly bounce around uncomfortably.

Ilene, hopefully you'll get a reprieve on the rain. If not, a baseball-style hat will help keep the rain out of your eyes (as long as it doesn't blow off in the wind). And make sure you wear wicking clothes. If you have a cheering section with you, have them keep a rain jacket handy for you. And leave warm, dry clothes in your car or somewhere dry to change into afterwards.

Depending on the temperature, I've run in the rain in shorts and a t-shirt and in pants, long sleeve shirt and jacket. This morning it wasn't raining too hard, so I just wore pants and long sleeved shirt. It was about 4C and windy too. My hands were a bit cool and I wished I'd worn gloves. A jacket would have been too much for me, but I get overheated easily.

The weather here has been mostly dreadful since last friday, with a temporary reprieve on Tuesday. It's supposed to continue on with the awful cold/rain/wind combo through the weekend too.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #13  

And ellen, where's that race report?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

Only Me -- If you're in Montreal we are having the same weather, dang!! A girl at the school who runs regularly can't make it to the run on Saturday so she's going to lend me her running jacket it looks like a windbreaker it's longer in the back, so I was pleased with that. She also says that running in the rain is fun... Are you sure? I said ... I will definitely wear a baseball cap I always do, and my new one is a very light wicking one, I have wicking shorts and tops too... Probably sunglasses or I have a pair of clear glasses for cloudy days, for the wind. I can't stand the wind, I have eye problems and I am very very sensitive to wind, dust etc...I'm hoping like Ellen the skies will clear for a few hours ...

I gotta go, it's 630PM and I haven't run yet today... gotta scoot!! TTFN
Old 04-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only Me
And ellen, where's that race report?
Oh, sorry - I posted in LWL - with all the excitement, I just forgot to do it here. My goal was to not only finish, but finish in 40 and I did it in 38:28!!! I am still riding the high from last Sat.

I got "cleared" by my dermatologist this week to start marathon training and joined DCFit - first meeting is a week from Sat. Meet with my GP 2 weeks later. If he OKs and I still like as much, I am considering Las Vegas Marathon in Dec - I will make my decision by June 1. Oh, and how is this for no excuses: the parking lot "loop" of my development is just over a half mile with 2 gentle hills, so I have my track right here!

Good luck Ilene! Everyone have a great weekend

Ellen
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote