Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:37 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

In the Joyce Vedral Fat Burning Workout, her rests are only like 10-15 seconds, but you are not sitting there doing nothing, you are changing your weights or adjusting your body position to the floor, the bench, etc. So your heart rate doesn't go down.
She is excellent for weight training-but as for cardio I would really just concentrate on the weight training aspect of it, and concentrate on your heart rate when you are actually doing a cardio workout. In strength training, there is so much to think about-form, contracting the muscle for optimum fatiguing of it, etc. that I prefer to seperate the two types of workouts-but that is just me. I take my weight training seriously.
I really do find Kathy Smith totally annoying. She is always wooping and yelling Woohoo! YEEEAAAH! and stuff like that. Not ust excited speak, but YELLING it. She is knowledgeable, but I don't even think her body is all that great. Terrible, I know.
Aphil
Old 07-30-2003, 04:04 PM   #17  
Peace with body and soul

The very best weight training video workouts, IMO, and I'm well known videowh*re, LOL, are from Cathe. She does advanced workouts of several varieties but I can only speak about her weight training, of which I own most of her past and current workouts and I've pre-ordered her newest which will be released in Sept. "fingers crossed" She also does quite a bit of cardio stuff and is big into step, I don't do those, so I can't comment on them.

You can find some of her older workouts at Collagevideo but mostly she sells her stuff on her own site at cath.com.

She's the kind of person you LOVE...then you do a workout and find yourself SWEARING at her on the tv..NO MORE LUNGES! LOL
Old 07-30-2003, 08:43 PM   #18  

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I did try that Kathy Ireland Advanced Sports fitness video (only because I got it for free). It is very advanced and would only work for someone who is already fit and wants to become a super athlete. It also requires a workout bench. Do the Joyce Vedral or Cathe videos require one? I may get one of Joyce Vedrals videos. I will probably get Bottoms Up (I have the book for that), Fat Burning Workout or Definition. I will let you know what I think of it too.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:36 PM   #19  
Peace with body and soul

Cathe uses a step in most of her videos, even for weights. But really you don't need one if you don't have one. You can do bench presses and stuff on a mat or towel and some of the sitting work on a chair.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:40 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Here are my favorite fitness DVDs....

1. Tamilee Webb "I Want That Body" - It's a short yet very effective strength training workout that's broken down into 6 fifteen minute segments - 2 for arms - 2 for buns - 2 for abs. The buns protion really does work your lower body, not just your buns. Hand weights required for the arms section.

2. Tae Bo - great cardio workout. I like the Get Ripped Advanced DVD, it has 2 advanced workouts that make you sweat

3. Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout - another great cardio workout that's fun & sweaty!

4. Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight

5. The Frim also puts out great workouts that are challenging & effective
Old 08-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #21  

Oh man, I have become a total vidiot in the last year and own almost a hundred workout videos. I love the Firm videos because they are hard and I feel so darn strong after I finish one. I also do Leslie for cardio. She's not too hard but I am asthmatic and can not handle really hard cardio. One of my favorite new finds of late is Lotte Berk. These are kind of like pilates/callanetics and they rock. They are all only 30 minutes long and don't require much in the way of equipment. Everyone I know who has used these has gotten wonderful results. They are one thing that I can get myself to do when I don't feel like working out because you just feel so good afterwards and you don't have to drag hardly anything out. Love them!
Old 08-06-2003, 03:27 AM   #22  

I decided to purchase the Walk Away the Pounds (for Abs) 2 mile video. I really like this because you don't need a lot of space or equipment (ab belt optional), and the moves are pretty uncomplicated which is great for me since my coordination is pretty poor these days due to some nerve damage in my back. I personally did not find the instructor annoying at all and I got a good aerobic workout from this program. I recommend this one.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #23  
Om shanti

Quote:
Originally posted by Firmgirl
I love any of The Firm videos. They get results, are serious workouts and you do not waste time with them.
They do use a good bit of equipment, but you do not have to have any to see results.
Indeed. I love watching this thing on my arm grow. (They tell me it is a bicep -- never had one of THOSE before! )
Quote:
If you have anyquestions about Firm workouts, www.mindundermuscle.com has many members that can answer questions.
I can't get that link to work.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:16 PM   #24  
Healthy and Positive!

Walk Away the Pounds!!!! I absolutely love these vids! I started with the 2 mile back in Feb. when I started exercising and I honestly think that video is the reason I'm still going at it! After a while it got too easy and I moved to the 3 mile. LOL, then it got too easy and I'm LOVING the 4 Mile Super Challenge right now. It is fabulous!
I also have Denise Austin's Pilates, Tae Bo Live, and Bellydance: Fitness for Beginners (the one with the twins). I always feel sexy after that one!! I just bought the Karen Voight tape BLT for the exercise ball but haven't used it yet.

Hope that helps,
Crystal
Old 08-10-2003, 08:42 AM   #25  
Om shanti

Just a brief note about The Firm for folks thinking of buying it. The Fanny Lifter is on sale on the Firm's web site, only $40. Not sure for how long.

The old BodySculpting System set is also on sale.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:34 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

There is a person on Ebay that makes a Firm Fanny Lifter box out of WOOD and not the plastic...I have heard wonderful things about it, how much sturdier it is than the one sold by the Firm. It is the same exact size and style-it is just made from better materials. If anyoneis interested, check out the fanny lifter listings on Ebay and try to find one-there is usually one listed about all of the time.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:21 PM   #27  
Om shanti

FitPrime sells the original Firm Fanny Lifter, which is also made from wood. It is definitely sturdier and a higher-quality product overall, but a bit more limited in its usefulness. Unlike the new, plastic Fanny Lifter, the wooden ones don't split into separate 6" and 8" sections for step aerobics.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:34 AM   #28  
Peace with body and soul

I have both Fanny Lifters, and have had no complaints about either, but the plastic one is far easier to both use and store, and IMO, its just as sturdy as the wooden step of the early Firms. However, if you're a beginner, and have a step that will adjust from 6-10" like the Reebok step, it will work as you get used to it. Some of the regular Firm Believers also use a Rubbermaid step which too is a good way to save some $$$.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:29 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 197/159/140

Height: 5' 4"

I have Tae Bo but want to add more to my collection. Ya'll have some *great* ideas!
Old 08-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #30  

I just have the Billy Blanks TaeBo dvd/video library, I switch between the 10 minute advanced workout and basic workout.. That really gets my heart going!!
Im waiting for my pilates/Yoga Video I bought on Ebay (Denise Austin)
Im looking forward to trying something new.
Im also thinking about the walk away the pounds thing.. I really have this thing about walking outside right now im very self concious.

Last edited by Mackenzie4; 08-30-2003 at 03:40 PM.
Closed Thread