Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #211  

Can I join the thread? Started this with a friend and we got to week six but time and commmitments got in the way of us seeing it through. She's since moved to a different area but I want to start up again by myself.
HungryInNewZealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #212  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

Welcome hungryinnewzealand

Whew Week 3 day 1 DONE. Going to be doing a 1 mile fun run in June.
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #213  

Day 1, week 1 completed. Ran/walked on the main road which will give the villagers something to talk about. 'Hey did you see ________ puffing along?' But I did it!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #214  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

Hi hungryinnewzealand whereabouts are you??? I'm in the Bay of Plenty! Excited too see another kiwi on the thread! I'm about to hit week 6 next run (I backslid a little).
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #215  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

KarinRose, I agree with magicsusan. The most important thing is just not stopping. You're tougher than you think you are. It'll be uncomfortable, it might hurt a little, you'll probably want to stop, but if your brain keeps saying "MOVE!" your legs will obey. So, not to get all marine drill sergeant-y here, but suck it up and just do it. You'll be ridiculously proud of yourself afterward.

...and on that note, I just finished week 8. Ran 2 3/4 miles in 33 minutes! And it sucked! Haha. I felt like I was going to die for the first mile, then after that I kind of hit my stride and it went down to being merely unpleasant. So not a great run, but I did it. And now I only have a week to go, yay!
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #216  
Up and at 'em...again!

S/C/G: 203.4/170.4/140.0

Height: 5'0"

Started C25K for the second time almost five weeks ago (I just did W4D2 today). I started it last year but never finished it...I got to week 6 and then walked/ran a 5K, and after that I just....didn't run anymore. *L* But since I am now trying to lose 25 pounds and (eventually) get to the "healthy weight" my doctor originally suggested for me, I figured C25K would be a good help!

I found W4D2 so much easier than W4D1. Isn't that odd? I mean, on Monday....having to run five minutes straight made me think "I'm gon' DIIIIIIIE" but today, for some reason, it just seemed so much easier. (It helps, I think, that "my" treadmill at the gym -- yes, I have a favourite -- looks out onto my old elementary school and the memories of the bullied kid I was back then drives me on. *L*) Hey, whatever works, right?

I'm officially signed up for my second 5K, on Father's Day. I thought about doing the 10K instead, but then I thought -- nah, I'll be satisfied with shaving a few minutes off my time from last year (35:15.) I have three goals for this year:

1) To finish the race.
2) To *run* across the finish line.
3) To finish in less than 35 minutes.

I'd be satisfied to reach two of those goals, but all three would be awesome.

I really should start trying to run outside, but the sidewalks around here are bloody awful, and I wouldn't run on the road if you paid me because I swear, half the drivers on the roads around here must have gotten their licenses in Cracker Jack boxes. So for now I'll stick with "my" treadmill at the gym.
Snoofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #217  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

Completed Wk 4 D1! :-) Was a bit harder than previous weeks but totally fine.

Thank you for all the support! I hear your words echoing in my brain as I run! :-)

Where do you all fall on the question of where to run: treadmill vs. outside? I like the treadmill because of the control issue of I set a guaranteed pace and its available with no excuses (too hot/cold/rainy...)
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #218  

Hi lilmisschattabox! I'm in Auckland but know folks down in Gizzy. But I should mention I'm an ex-pat so not an official Kiwi. However I love the All Blacks and my kids walk barefoot everywhere so we are absolutely embracing life here.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #219  

KarinRose - I don't belong to a gym so run outside. This may all change as winter approaches here but I hate the gym so may just brave the rain and cold as it comes.

Snoofie - I loved your story about having a favourite machine and looking out over your old elementary school and the bad memories associated with it. Keep going!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #220  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

I much prefer to run outside because clicking the buttons up and down on the treadmill is quite annoying, AND, the ONE treadmill at my Gym is a crappy one. Im used to this HUGE nice nice YMCA, now I work out at a small Rec Center, Really they only have 1 Stairmaster, 1 Treadmill, and 1 broken bike. Other than that they have weights. So for me I usually just run outside, swim at the gym, and do weights once a week or so. BUT, I cant complain because the Y was expensive, and the rec center I'm at now is 30 bucks a month for both me and my son!

I'm running a one mile fun run as soon as my 8 weeks are done! I know its not a 5K but its a good cause. A little girl I know (went to school with her parents) Her mom and baby sister were killed and they werent sure if she was going to live. She pulled through though and so we are doing a fund raiser by selling shirts and doing the fun run to raise support and money for Mady! I will be rocking my TEAM MADY shirt and Some knee high zebra striped socks! My goal is just to run the whole thing. I dont think I have EVER ran a mile straight, even in school I had to walk!! She plans on walking the last little bit with us across the finish line which is amazing because two weeks ago she was wheel chair bound! I will be running a 5k though in October. Its called RUN FOR YOU LIFE! Its oct, 25th and I will have 3 "life strips" hooked to me and there will be zombies along the route. For every lifestrip you still have at the end you get some time taken off your final time! Lots of time to work up my speed and dodging zombies!
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:54 PM   #221  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

I didn't get my day three week one workout in today... :/ I was busy and had to finish homework for my online class. Tomorrow I'll be doing weights so I'll save my run for Friday. Works out well because we are going to visit both of our parents this weekend about an hour and a half away so I know I won't be getting to the gym at all.

I know some treadmills have it were you can type in the speed and hit enter, but others just have where you have to use the arrow to increase/decrease. That takes so much time, especially when the program is pretimed, etc when your using the app.
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:21 AM   #222  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

Ran 2km fairly fast the other day ( Monday). Impressed because I was going up inclines against a headwind, and I enjoyed it!
Hopefully do 3km this weekend and be doing 5km soon.
It scares me ATM, longest I have done is 4.2km I think.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

KarinRose, running outside is WAY more fun. The time passes faster, the scenery is better, you can people-watch (if you're comfortable running in a populated area). The treadmill isn't as bad is it's made out to be, though. I do most of my runs on the treadmill because the gym has free childcare and I don't really have anyone else to watch my kids while I run at the moment (usually my husband does, but he's gone for a few weeks). It's a lot more boring, but music or TV helps. It's a bit of a pain to change the speed every two minutes, but after the first couple weeks there aren't as many intervals so it's not a big deal. Basically, whichever way you prefer is fine.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #224  
Nuttin to it but to do it

S/C/G: 270/ticker/155

Height: 5' 6''

I use a treadmill with a "speed interval" toggle button. I press the button once to go to my jog speed and again to go back to my walk speed, so I don't have to waste any time at all.
KarinRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #225  
He is Risen! Alleluia!

S/C/G: 205/181.5/145

Height: 5'5"

BigChief- I'm with you on the scenery thing. So much better running outside, though the tv on the treadmill at the gym does keep me entertained.

Karin- I will be looking tomorrow to see if my treadmill has a speed interval. That is of course if it is as chilly as it was today.
FleurDeLis is offline   Reply With Quote