Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default Recovering from a lousy workout

Hey everyone,

We all know that feeling, right? We aim for maybe a 5 km and get cramps at 1, we don't listen to Jillian's full circuit and then....BOOM! Screw the rest of it. Downward spiral- negative self talk, the "I Can't Do It's".

In a moment of clarity, we know that one disappointing workout doesn't define us. We also know they are inevitable! We can even know that if we didn't see the scale move that week, it doesn't mean our efforts were fruitless.

BUT in that moment, what do you do? Today I made the mistake of weighing myself (not even a weigh in day!) and saw the scale hasn't moved yet. Then, I fell on a plank and I just spiraled. I recovered okay but it SUCKS to be in that zone!

How do you all recover from bad workouts? Have a nice day!!!!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 AM   #2  
seeking balance

S/C/G: 186/124/120

Height: 5'3"

I suppose we all have off days, right? I've been writing a few times a week in a journal, sort of a personal blog about my weight loss and exercise. On bad days, I read through some of my previous entries, such as "reasons why I want to lose weight" and "wow, today's workout was really good," and try to regain some perspective, then I write about my current state of mind. It reminds me of the progress I've made and helps to derail that negative train of thought!
Cattails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #3  

Height: 5"6

That's a really good idea. I am going to try it! Thanks!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

I stop and do something I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy for a while. Watch some TV shows online, listen to a book on tape or a podcast I've been looking forward to, maybe take a hot shower and do a pampering skin routine...

Just something that will take me out of that negative train of thought ("I can't do this, I'm never going to change, I should just give up," etc). I try to get some kind of activity everyday, so if I feel like throwing a tantrum instead of working out I'll stop and try to do something else later. I know a lot of people can push through it, and I can too a lot of the time, but I give myself a break when I feel like it. I don't want exercise to ever become a form of punishment I'm making myself do. Been there, done that, it was terrible lol.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #5  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

If I've had a really bad day or I'm really stressed, I sometimes get caught up in my thoughts and barely move in the pool, which makes me madder because I've wasted a good workout.

But I go home and look at my progress pictures, and remind myself how proud I am for not giving up even when I slip up (I've quit a thousand things because of one screw up), and I pledge to do better the next day, and I usually do.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote