Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #1  

Default P90x

Alright guys, I'm obese, 5'2" and as of this morning 200.6 lb. Gah. I have been fat all my life, got down to 170, then went on anti depressants (off now), and got up to 198. I have been trying calorie counting, which works, except, I have this problem with eating too much. When I can manage to keep my calories lower, I do fine, however...

I wanted to start exercising too. I've started doing the P90X work outs, I am not following their nutrition plan. I am trying to keep my calories between 1200-1500 per day.

I'm doing the lean work out as it was suggested to me to start off with. I've been doing it a week and this morning I weighed and found that I have actually gained a couple pounds. I am frustrated and don't quite understand.

Am I building muscle already? A week doesn't sound like a whole lot of time to be building muscle in. My husband is pushing me to just keep going on with it, it makes me want to choke his skinny little neck. This is a really intense work out for not losing any weight, I just don't know if it's worth it, I need some encouragement, some feedback and maybe some of you who have used it can share your results?
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #2  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

What you gain depends on what you eat within these 1200-1500 calories, but you shouldn't expect any measurable muscle gain in one single week, it's simply not possible. On the other hand, it's hard to gain that much fat in a single week, so the most probable is that you just gained some water.
IMHO heavy exercising when dieting is difficult to execute without falling into compulsive binging, and that's why diet plans are an integral part of complete fitness programs.
If you want the opinion of someone who already have the results - exercise lighter [not less, just not too hard], sleep more, eat enough to avoid binging but keep fat and salt low. Drink more water than you're thirsty, especially before going to bed.

Last edited by MadProfessor; 11-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

You're not building muscle, but you are probably swollen! Are you sore? When you workout you create microtears in your muscle fibres that need to be repaired so you retain fluid that contains all the nutrients you will need to repair your muscles.

Drink lots of water and make sure you're still getting some rest days in there (I think P90x incorporates it for you?) and in a few weeks your body will have adjusted. It's just a transition phase
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm doing P90X also. I did a full round last year, and I started this round last Monday. We may be on the same challenge- they're doing a "Comeback Kid" challenge right now- is that what you're doing?

I'm doing P90X classic. More resistance training is more effective for me than more cardio, so that's what I do.

Don't be alarmed at the scale going up- that is completely normal in the first couple weeks. Your body is in a state of shock and is pulling in a lot of water into the muscles to aid in muscle repair. It causes a temporary weight gain. That will change. If you stick with your diet, you will see weight loss, but the most dramatic losses in P90X always occur in the 2nd and 3rd phases, so stick with it.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone, I'm not currently doing any challenges, this is just my first round doing this. I have been super sore the whole week, it's rough going from couch potato to working out 6 days a week hehe
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:37 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I recommend you find a support group- it will REALLY help you to stay motivated. My first round I had 2 support groups on the BB website, 1 on Facebook, plus I watched P90X success stories every day on YouTube. I think having at least 1 support group is important. If you go the BB forums they have support groups starting every day and you could find a group there that started on the same day you did, most likely. Or ask your coach, if you have one, if they have a support group going somewhere. Or if you want we've got 100+ people in our support group and I'd be more than willing to send you an invite (it's on Facebook). I'm not a coach, so this is not a solicitation. I'm just another P90X'er like you. Whatever you do, keep it up. You'll be shocked at what you can achieve after just 90 days. Diet is critical though, so keep on top of that.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote